Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac food recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

bluewolf wrote: »
    the GF goodfellas one is great.
    I wasn't mad on the lidl one. HOWEVER their pancakes are unreal
    I don't like the Goodfellas one, prefer the Lidl one meself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Anyone tried these ones? The musclefood one is in my local centra and I've been tempted by it many times...but, the price...
    http://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/musclefood-high-protein-pizzas-ultimate-11174411

Don't think I've seen this anywhere
    http://marcos.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

RacoonQueen I have seen Marcos in Supervalu.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hi Guys, is there any Glutten Free app that can scan products in Ireland to show you if they are Glutten free ?

Any response appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys, is there any Glutten Free app that can scan products in Ireland to show you if they are Glutten free ?

Any response appreciated

Hi whiz, I know the coeliac society of Ireland used to publish a book every year listing certified gluten free foods. I wouldn't be surprised if they have an app by now. Maybe try their site or send them an email.
    As far as I recall you had to buy it at the time, but there was no labelling for gf back then so it was worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Take a look at this link. You might find something useful.

https://www.glutenfreeliving.com/gluten-free-foods/shopping-gluten-free/top-10-gluten-free-apps/

I reckon the maintenance of apps like like this would be a nightmare for the developers i.e. you'd have to make sure the data was always up to date.

As the previous poster said the Coeliac society publishes a book which gets updated over time. But I think even that is not always up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

The request for an Irish app is an ongoing saga - see here for latest update from the society. (not happening anytime soon!)

Yes as other posters have said we do still have the option of a yearly book, but it's not handy to find things in it quickly.

The UK society do actually have an app. You can join them and use that here, but I'm guessing it won't have Irish Supermarket own-brand stuff (plus some Irish brands), plus I'm sure there'll be the odd exception that might be manufactured in a different environment in Ireland or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Main problem for the Coeliac Society I believe is the membership is small compared to the membership of the UK society and as we all know the UK is a much better place financially for medical services. We just don't have the numbers here to pay for it and the Irish Government have little interest in assisting Coeliac sufferers.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

The CSI have this years book out this week or next i think.
    I agree with their assessment of an app, something like that is a whole lot more work than just throwing a simple app together, and having it give advice in the treatment of a medical condition opens you up to a whole lot of extra work and upkeep. A digital copy of their database would be really handy though.

The book is pretty good but no way can it be up to date at all times. It boils down to Coeliacs being knowledgeable about gluten and its many hiding places and also being extra vigilant at all times. That can be a pain but we get used to that unfortunately, we have to.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Holistic Centre Galway

Hi

I make porridge bread and find that it does not cause any issues for coeliacs. I also add some fruit to the mix to spice it up.

Hi Guys, do Kelloggs sell any gluten free cereals in Ireland ? Any response appreciated.

Also I see do some people eat ordinary cornflakes ? .i.e. I see on some corn flakes products are made up of 96% corn and 4% barley extract

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

No whiz but you buy Go Free GF Cornflakes by Nestle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I buy the aldi GF Cornflakes and sometimes the rice crispies.. they're good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Aldi web publish a list of their gluten free products

The present one is at

https://cdn.aldi-digital.co.uk/dEII9D$ktt@Rfc22ZwQZkuL2F0I.pdf

As it changes with time it is as well to check for updates every so often. Also, read the ingredients & labeling before buying as a cross check.

Has anyone found a similar list from Lidl ?

I've seen one for their Iberian stores but so far not for Ireland / UK

That's a really good list from Aldi, do any other supermarkets do a similar list ? e.g. Marks and Spencer's, Dunnes Stores, Tesco, Lidl, Supervalue etc

Any responses appreciated

0lddog wrote: »
    As it changes with time it is as well to check for updates every so often. Also, read the ingredients & labeling before buying as a cross check.

Has anyone found a similar list from Lidl ?

I've seen one for their Iberian stores but so far not for Ireland / UK

Definitely do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

The Aldi Zilch bread is quite nice. I managed to obtain a loaf of bread made by a company called Honest in SuperValu in Athlone possibly the nicest bread I have tasted. They are based in Roscommon so should be available in that area.

Tesco Own Brand Food Products with
    No Gluten Containing:

https://realfood.tesco.com/media/docs/No-Gluten-Containing-Ingredients-March-2017-683c96fe-65f7-42a6-a375-32927f623da3-0.pdf

If anybody see a list for Lidl, Dunnes, Supervalue...can u throw it up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

whiz wrote:
    Tesco Own Brand Food Products with No Gluten Containing:

Not the same as gluten free, just be aware of that.
    M&S have a similar extensive list. Again however, not strictly GF by definition, so up to you.

• Advertisement

When a Coeliac joins the Coeliac Society of Ireland they get a copy of their foods list, it has lists of GF foods in all the major supermarkets, however, I always feel this can go out of date very quickly. I'm delighted to know that the supermarkets have their lists online as they may be kept up to date more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

Those lists are usually not certified GF though. Most of them are no gluten containing ingredients

It's flippin' hard to keep up with it all! I see now all my favourite chocolate has been removed from the CSI's book. No more Crunchies, no more Curley-Wurley. On a sort of positive note, I can have Aero (meh!) and Walnut Whips which are not anything as good as they used to be years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭barneyrub

It is. No cadburys have been listed for at least 2 years. They won't test their products to certify any of them.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    It's flippin' hard to keep up with it all! I see now all my favourite chocolate has been removed from the CSI's book. No more Crunchies, no more Curley-Wurley. On a sort of positive note, I can have Aero (meh!) and Walnut Whips which are not anything as good as they used to be years ago.

Ah.. that makes sense now. I normally avoid but had some recently and didn't feel well but hadn't put it down to these.. frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bars can be imported from anywhere so you would have to watch out, like beer recipes change from region to region. Its common to see Uk market bars in tesco or dealz or poundshops. Poundshops will commonly have some from other places too.

Doing a search nestle even warn about it, just this month.

http://www.nestle.ie/asset-library/documents/nutritionhealthwellness/gluten%20avoidance%20list%20v1.pdf
    Gluten Avoidance Updated March 2017

Recently some UK retailers have been importing Nestlé products from both Europe and other countries without our knowledge and as a result we are unable to guarantee that these imported Nestlé products are suitable for your allergy/intolerance. While appearing to be superficially similar to their UK counterparts, there are often recipe and production differences according to the country of origin.
    We can, however, guarantee that Nestlé products produced in the UK and shown on this list are suitable for your allergy/ intolerance as outlined in the next few pages

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

whiz wrote: »
    Tesco Own Brand Food Products with
    No Gluten Containing:

https://realfood.tesco.com/media/docs/No-Gluten-Containing-Ingredients-March-2017-683c96fe-65f7-42a6-a375-32927f623da3-0.pdf

If anybody see a list for Lidl, Dunnes, Supervalue...can u throw it up

I find it odd the only GF rice listed is the Basmati rice?

Rice 2248 25230536 Worldwide Basmati Rice 1kg
    Rice 2248 25241808 Worldwide Basmati Rice 1kg

Basmati rice can come with purity certs, I reckon that is something to do with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basmati#Adulteration
    In Britain, the Food Standards Agency found in 2005 that about half of all basmati rice sold was adulterated with other strains of long-grain rice, prompting rice importers to sign up to a code of practice.[16] A 2010 U.K. test on rice supplied by wholesalers found 4 out of 15 samples had cheaper rice mixed with basmati, and one had no basmati at all.[17]

A PCR-based assay similar to DNA fingerprinting in humans allows adulterated and non-basmati strains to be detected, with a detection limit from 1% adulteration upwards with an error rate of ±1.5%.[18] Exporters of basmati rice use "purity certificates" based on DNA tests for their basmati rice consignments.[19] Based on this protocol, which was developed at the Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics, the Indian company Labindia has released kits to detect basmati adulteration

It is presumably to say its not mixed with other rice, but I imagine other grains are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

rubadub wrote: »
    Basmati rice can come with purity certs, I reckon that is something to do with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basmati#Adulteration

It is presumably to say its not mixed with other rice, but I imagine other grains are included.

But theres no other rice on the list?

Isn't long grain, brown rice etc GF too?

• Advertisement

But theres no other rice on the list?

Isn't long grain, brown rice etc GF too?

It should be GF, but could be cross contaminated either in the fields or the factory, I am not saying basmati is special gluten wise. I am saying basmati rice appears to come with certs which may not only verify its basmati but also happen to say its GF.

The bog standard rice probably comes with no such cert and they just take the easy option and do not declare it.

I was in a hotel the other day and every single item on the menu just had the same blanket catch all under it (contains gluten, nuts, etc, etc)

I'd imagine some lazy and/or overcautious manager just said "sure stick it on everything, then we can't be caught out"

Advertisement