Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac food recommendations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Have you ever tried yogurt bread? Put a large tub of natural yogurt into a mixing bowl, then use the yogurt carton to measure out two tubs of gluten-free oats. Mix together with a teaspoon of bread soda and a little salt. Put into a silicone loaf tin, and into the oven for maybe 45 minutes. It's surprisingly tasty, turns out kind of like brown soda bread. And so fast and easy to make. You can also use different veggies/seeds/nuts/whatever to vary it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Gas, the two suggestions I'd make have been added already!
    AMKC wrote: »
    If you want a nice gluten free bread you should try the DS Wholesome bread. It is really nice.
    Firstly, this one is by far my favourite! The seeded one is great as a toasted sambo. Also the Lidl rolls are pretty good, although I realise you did say bread not rolls.
    Have you ever tried yogurt bread? Put a large tub of natural yogurt into a mixing bowl, then use the yogurt carton to measure out two tubs of gluten-free oats. Mix together with a teaspoon of bread soda and a little salt. Put into a silicone loaf tin, and into the oven for maybe 45 minutes. It's surprisingly tasty, turns out kind of like brown soda bread. And so fast and easy to make. You can also use different veggies/seeds/nuts/whatever to vary it a bit.
    We just discovered this last week. Absolutely AMAZING and supposedly (my wife says!:)) very easy to make. We added pumpkin and sunflower seeds to our second loaf and it was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

I'll have to try that yogurt bread! It sounds doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I found the aldi bread the nicest of all of them!
    Me too but I still wouldn't eat it without toasting it!

Tiriel wrote: »
    Me too but I still wouldn't eat it without toasting it!

Yeah, It's lovely toasted but just not nice at all for sandwiches for work!

It'd be great to get proper big loafs of fresh gluten free bread. For example I was in a Supervalu recently and they had a big fresh bread section with corn bread loafs. I asked and was told that they couldn't gurantee it was gluten free because flour gets everywhere in the area they make the bread.

It looked lovely :o

Also - why are gluten free bread slices always miniature?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

g0g wrote: »
    We just discovered this last week. Absolutely AMAZING and supposedly (my wife says!:)) very easy to make. We added pumpkin and sunflower seeds to our second loaf and it was great!

I had some of this last week... made by an aunt who generally choses GF and was raving about this recipe for homemade GF "bread". It was the texture and flavour of a concrete block. Would not recommend.

pwurple wrote: »
    I had some of this last week... made by an aunt who generally choses GF and was raving about this recipe for homemade GF "bread". It was the texture and flavour of a concrete block. Would not recommend.
    "Our" first attempt wasn't as good as we (she!) didn't use GF Bread Soda to help it, but the second loaf was incredible! Lovely and crispy out of the oven, soft on the inside. Fantastic fresh and after a couple of days it's great toasted too. Miles better than most shop GF breads.

Incidentally I just ordered from Tasty Parlour for the first time this week so will write back on here if worth recommending!

Incidentally I just ordered from Tasty Parlour for the first time this week so will write back on here if worth recommending!

Bingo!!! This is what I was looking for. :D:D

AMKC wrote: »
    If you want a nice gluten free bread you should try the DS Wholesome bread. It is really nice.

Thanks for this! It is really nice! The softest gluten free bread I've had.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Dunno if ye guys would be interested in this, but a new gadget has come to market that allows portable gluten testing:

http://nimasensor.com/?utm_content=buffer95377&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Cactus Jacks restaurant in the Millenium Walkway have a surprising amount of gluten free dishes in the menu. For those of you who are looking for a protein hit, there are also many quest bars and oh yeah bars that are gluten free (and low in sugar if you're sensitive to sugar too, like me ☺️) Great thread 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭alex.middleton

Not sure if this has already been suggested but try the paleo duets the principles follow a guideline that should be perfect for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thanks for this! It is really nice! The softest gluten free bread I've had.

Your welcome. It is really nice and love having melted cheese on it or crisps. I do think the packaging could be better do it should be resealable.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

New Aldi pizza is OK! €2.50 so great value compared to other frozen GF offerings. I prefer thin and crispy, so this base a bit doughy for me.

New Aldi pizza is OK! €2.50 so great value compared to other frozen GF offerings. I prefer thin and crispy, so this base a bit doughy for me.
    Look forward to trying it, although I can highly recommend people avoid the Lidl one which is rank!

Look forward to trying it, although I can highly recommend people avoid the Lidl one which is rank!

Lidl have one?! Have searched Lidl pizzas and never seen one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Lidl have one?! Have searched Lidl pizzas and never seen one.

Me too! Was surprised to see this

Yeah they only started stocking them in the past couple of weeks. Very plain boxes, one yellow and one red. Pepperoni or margherita are your options. They're to be avoided anyway!!!

Yeah they only started stocking them in the past couple of weeks. Very plain boxes, one yellow and one red. Pepperoni or margherita are your options. They're to be avoided anyway!!!

Same as Aldi ones, wonder if it's same stockist. I really like the goodfellas ones, never tried schar range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CB1992

You should download the Pointy app, it helps you find products locally. They have loads of really good gluten free foods!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Our 8yr old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and now coeliac. Anyone else here with both as I was looking at some Gluten free food in Aldi and a lot seems high in sugar, is this the case with most?

Our 8yr old daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and now coeliac. Anyone else here with both as I was looking at some Gluten free food in Aldi and a lot seems high in sugar, is this the case with most?

Sadly yes, most producers seem to replace gluten with sugar! Even in items such as bread. I can't offer advice in terms of the diabetes but I do cook and bake most of our food to ensure its gf

I like the Lidl gluten free pizza. I hate the goodfellas one. Just to throw another opinion out there! Have spotted the new Aldi Carlos one but haven't tried it yet. Dunnes do a really nice one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 whatthefurry

I use Jamie Oliver's pizza dough recipe- sorry I can't post an attachment but google Jamie and his basic pizza dough recipe

But substitute Odlums bread flour for both the flours in that recipe, also it makes a huge amount so I usually halve the recipe and that is enough for three large adult pizzas.

I make my own simple tomato sauce which i have been making for years about once a week anyway for pastas, other dishes which is always in the fridge- doubt anyone needs a recipe but basically sweat an onion, add minced garlic, add two cans chopped tomatoes ( or passata, whatever is in the cupboard), some basil, I like oregano too, about one large table spoon balsamic vinegar, and cook for maybe 20 mins, then whizz up with hand blender and into a kilner jar for when required. Btw, if you like your sauce sweeter, add sugar to taste, I try to avoid but then I like it more tart anyway.

I usually make the tomato sauce earlier in the week, it literally takes five minutes to throw stuff into the saucepan. Then for a Sunday treat, pizzas and whatever topping you like. I like veggie toppings but we also have a meat lover in the house and a tuna fiend, so end up with one margarita with lots of sliced mushrooms and peppers ( I use grated mozzerella cheese from Aldi), one with salami and whatever meat is in the fridge and one with tuna/creme fraiche/chives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

must try that, sounds lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Recipes from coeliac society:

http://www.coeliac.ie/gf_living/recipes

Kelkin have a lot of products: www.kelkin.ie
    Clonakilty have gluten free sausages (and GF pastry on coeliac site = sausage roll).

great

Just tried the supervalu gf pepperoni pizza, as frozen pizzas go it was really good! It's a soft base but very tasty

Just tried the supervalu gf pepperoni pizza, as frozen pizzas go it was really good! It's a soft base but very tasty

Lidl have a new one also that is the same brand as some of their other 'normal' pizzas. It was alright...I may have overcooked it though :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

the GF goodfellas one is great.
    I wasn't mad on the lidl one. HOWEVER their pancakes are unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Bluewolf seconded on the Lidl pancakes, they are delicious. Lidl's caramel squares are really moreish. I don't buy them anymore cos I'd finish the packet in one go .

Advertisement