Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you on the dole?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Yeah,cos everyone on the dole is a waster.
    And obviously the people working are sitting on their arses all day doing nothing too.
    Stfu will ya.
    -Corkie- wrote: »
    Yes correct and living with their girlfriends in a house thats paid for on her single mothers allowance with medical cards etc etc.

This country is a joke paying so much money to these people.

Corkie, back that up with statistics.

If you can't, then don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I'm on the dole and I find it a quite agreeable lifestyle.

For me, working was soul destroying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Merzbow

mickrock wrote: »
    I'm on the dole and I find it a quite agreeable lifestyle.

For me, working was soul destroying.

Fair play to this man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Signed on then got a job the same week. The whole process of signing on was so depressing.

I am still in receipt of dole(because I only work part-time) and again its awful standing in line to collect the dole.

Not something I want to be doing every week but needs must I suppose. Need to pay the bills at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I am still in receipt of dole(because I only work part-time) and again its awful standing in line to collect the dole

get a bank account, no queuing then ;)

• Advertisement

Saila wrote: »
    get a bank account, no queuing then ;)

I have 2 bank accounts ;) but in all their wisdom the dole is only to be collected from the Post office now :( I think they force us to go through this to make you even more depressed,but that will change with the cheese!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I have 2 bank accounts ;) but in all their wisdom the dole is only to be collected from the Post office now :( I think they force us to go through this to make you even more depressed,but that will change with the cheese!!!

If you're working part time, they should send you a cheque. I don't know anyone who has to collect it when they are working!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I was off sick for a long time last year and on basically the same as dole payments, 196 a week, but being as I was sick I wasnt going out or buying much aside from the basics so I managed ok. It's definitely a struggle to live on that much though, people who think its loads have their head in the clouds, between rent, petrol/tax/insurance etc if you have a car, food, bills and everything else that costs money you're barely scraping by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I have 2 bank accounts ;) but in all their wisdom the dole is only to be collected from the Post office now :(

Mine is paid into my bank account weekly.

I still have to get up early every four weeks to sign on. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

i'm on disability, and i hate it...

It's sad to see so many places supposedly dedicated to the disabled with so such little number of disabled people actually working there.

The goverment wants the privet sector to employ disabled people, but they don't want to do it them self's

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Learn how to spell before you try slag people will ya. Loser.

some shower of spelling/grammer nazis here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

flanum wrote: »
    no thank ****... bunch of loosers!
    flanum wrote: »
    some shower of spelling/grammer nazis here!!!

Stop trolling!

If you have nothing informative to contribute, then don't post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

There is a gross socio economic misconception about doctors.Think about what they have to do.Med school is a long tough haul.Do you have any idea of the crazy hours interns have to work.

Or how much it costs to set up a general practice.You have to expose yourself and your family to the threat of disease on a constant basis.

The medical card system has shafted them.

They get subpoenaed to high court cases and have to pay their own expenses should they need to travel.

They are liable to be called out at any hour.

They go into places you would be too scared to go to to deal with people you wouldn't touch.

They get to tell young people on the cusp of life's adventure, "sorry kid you've got 6 months to live."

And then there's the tax they have to pay.People fantasise that Doctors are tax dodging profiteers without having the slightest insight.What % of their income is paid in tax would you think?

A lot of the money you think your doctor is making is actually going to the pockets of the Pharmaceutical industry,and that is a legal matter not a medical one.Doctors are not lawyers.

How many practising doctors have ever made The Times Rich List.In terms of making big bucks Doctors are way way down the list.

If they really are that bad,stick em all in jail.There's plenty of honest, altruistic homeopaths out there I'm sure, and chiropracters and reiki practioners.But your GP (the one with the medical degree and Hippocratic Oath) is the one you think is a shister?Or the surgeon who operates for up to 20 hours solid on your loved one while the gream reaper hovers over them?

These guys are hands in the filth hard working, mentally tough, social assets.

Try and remember that the next time you see a newly elected politician being carried around on shoulders like he just saved the world.

Or the next time you hear of priests raping children.Think of what doctors do.

Or when you're kissing your bank managers arse for a millwheel mortgage to pay for the 1/2 million euro timberframe that some freshfaced realtor just stung you on.

I don't think the Doc is the problem

I have never read such complete & utter tripe in all my life.:rolleyes:

Aaah the poor doctors, they have it tough only charging 55 euros for a 15 minute 'consultation'. Whats that? About 200 euro an hour? God love em sure thats not enough keep them running 2 homes & 3 executive cars.

First of all doctors who work in hospitals, they are the REAL doctors, the guys & gals who wear designer suits & sit behind expensive-looking desks in GPs chatting to old people about their coughs & sniffles are not. They're essentially glorified perscription advisors.
    Why is it every time i pass my local GP, i see the usual 2009/2010 mercedes, audis & rangerovers parked outside? Why is it one of these doctors happens to own one of the largest homes in the area i live?

Theres one reason & one reason only for a doctor wanting to start up or work in a GP & thats money. Now thats fair enough but don't expect to get the same respect that proper hospital doctors earn.

Feel sorry for GP doctors? No fcuking way. Never. Aim your pity at a more worthy reccipient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gaytony

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I had to pay 40k euro income tax for last year.
    self employed and paying 40k tax :confused: get a new accountant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭alandublin15

just thought it was interesting - 15 million unemployed in the u.s
    -MILLION-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

just thought it was interesting - 15 million unemployed in the u.s
    -MILLION-

Isn't that only like 5% of the country's population, how much of the working populace is it? (still a huge no. of people) where here it's about 14%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭alandublin15

5%, 14% sure whats the difference, at least we had a mad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭fufureida

galwayrush wrote: »
    I tried after i went through a few weeks with zero income, they refused me. Self employed Irish after years of paying tax are not entitled.:rolleyes:

Wow that sucks, I know someone who was from Pakistan and was entitled lol I find that funny! But bad on you mate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Aaah the poor doctors, they have it tough only charging 55 euros for a 15 minute 'consultation'. Whats that? About 200 euro an hour? God love em sure thats not enough keep them running 2 homes & 3 executive cars.

How much were engineers and architects charging before their industry crumbled?Go check out how much the quack healers are charging.How much does a high end carpenter charge.What about a lawyer or a financial advisor or an agent?

Watch in the coming months as the rats scurry from Ireland as the country goes tits up.See how many are doctors.Look at all the Irish people making a fortune in Ireland but living in tax exile.I suppose your GP flies in from the Caymans every morning in his lear jet.Maybe you should have a look at the Irish horse racing industry and see how much money runs out the door untaxed while people working in it's lower levels are underpaid.

If a doctor has a holiday home good for him.Plenty don't.Why would a doctor need 3 executive cars?Does your GP arrive in a different car every 2 days or so?Do you live in an under-privileged part of D4 or Foxrock or something?
    First of all doctors who work in hospitals, they are the REAL doctors, the guys & gals who wear designer suits & sit behind expensive-looking desks in GPs chatting to old people about their coughs & sniffles are not. They're essentially glorified perscription advisors.

GPs diagnose illnesses and treat the ones that are within their means.This helps keep emergency rooms free of timewasters and procrastinators.Also in some emergencies,the GP is the first one there and can be the difference between life and death.If you choose to waste a GP's time with a sniffle that's your decision.Try a pharmacy.Cut the doctor out until you have a real illness.

They also have to declare deaths, sometimes really gruesome ones like decayed bodies.Murder and suicide victims.You can't un-experience things like that.There is a psychological price to pay.You have no idea.
    Why is it every time i pass my local GP, i see the usual 2009/2010 mercedes, audis & rangerovers parked outside? Why is it one of these doctors happens to own one of the largest homes in the area i live?

Maybe you live in an area with a lot of wealthy private patients.Nice pastures if you can get into them.Are you sure those are all his cars and not patients.Maybe palace dwelling doctor has invested his money wisely and had some success.Many doctors are so busy they put their money in the hands of financial advisers a decision many of them are regretting more and more every day.

You are obviously under the false impression that they are making the same now from their work as they were 3 years ago.
    Theres one reason & one reason only for a doctor wanting to start up or work in a GP & thats money. Now thats fair enough but don't expect to get the same respect that proper hospital doctors earn.
    Watch a lot of ER did ya?
    Feel sorry for GP doctors? No fcuking way. Never. Aim your pity at a more worthy reccipient.

Look who has a big chip on their shoulder.You should memorise your little rant just in case you're ever in a life or death situation and a lowly GP attempts to save you, or even touch you.

I take it you don't deal with GPs anyway.What if the GP has previously been a surgeon?Would that work for you?What if he looked like George Clooney?

Are you the type who'll blow 200 quid on a weekend of debauchery but doesn't want to spend a cent on their health.Do you smoke cigarettes, impairing your own health at great expense to yourself and then want to shortchange those trying to prolong your existence whilst ignoring their pleas for you to stop.

For profit, your doctor should advise you to smoke.You will be more likely to become ill thus more work for the doctors and more money and Audis and all those other things you envy.But dumbass doctors actually tell you to stop.

Are you one of those people who go to to ER with a sprain or to get some minor stitchwork your granny could have done?If you are, you cost lives.

If you're working part time, they should send you a cheque. I don't know anyone who has to collect it when they are working!
    mickrock wrote: »
    Mine is paid into my bank account weekly.

I still have to get up early every four weeks to sign on. Bastards.

Bastards told me it only goes to the PO! I'll sort it tomorrow then so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I was on the dole until this month - my stamps just ran out and my husbands earnings are over the threshhold so I can't get JB, just signing for credits now. I've gotten a few weeks work here and there (and signed off while doing it, nothing underhand). I did an MA while working full time two years ago but to get work in the area I qualified in we'll have to move, there's nothing outside Dublin, maybe Cork. This is a bit of a problem as my husband has a long commute (110 mile round trip every day) and we don't want to end up working in opposite ends of the country.

I've been applying for jobs doing other stuff locally too but most won't take me on because they see I'm likely to leave if I get an offer in the area I should be working in. The bits of work I've got have generally been passed on by friends and family, but they're not substantial or regular enough to be able to rely on.

I know I'm lucky that our kid hasn't started school yet and we don't have a mortgage, so we have some flexibility and can move. Financially, we're okay - were sensible and didn't get into debt - but I still hate not having my own income. This is the first time since I was 12 years old that I haven't had some kind of a job and I find it very hard to deal with. I don't like being a housewife. The dole office thing didn't bother me though, I found the staff in our local office to be absolutely lovely, very helpful and always trying to get me every kind of assistance going.

So I'm just sucking it up for now, waiting to see what will happen with my husband's job and figuring out where we'll go. If we have to move anyway, we might as well consider further afield. Weather might be better at least.

I'm kinda in the same situation as Cat I am on JSB but won't get a penny in 6 months when it runs out because of the means test for JSA :(

But we can't emigrate because we have kids and a mortgage so I'm stuck
    Have applied for lots of jobs to be told I'm over qualified and that i'll be bored and there is no point employing someone who is going to leave in 6 months due to boredom! :eek:
    I would have thought they'd be delighted to have someone with extra qualifications doing a job for peanuts but obviously not

I HATE not having a job
    I hate the fact that DSCFA makes you feel that every penny you collect is coming out of their own pockets
    It is soul destroying to have to queue up to sign on every month and queue up at the post office every week to collect your €196
    Its depressing it really is
    I'd take any job that would get me out of the house I hate being a housewife
    But the jobs are simply not there in the Clare/Limerick area and with kids its not like I can commute too far for work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Left one job due to cut backs in June.

Was alright on the dole for a few weeks cause I had a bundle saved up.

Then I got an even better job.

But I guess I was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

angelfire9 wrote: »
    But the jobs are simply not there in the Clare/Limerick area and with kids its not like I can commute too far for work

I'm with you there - in the Limerick/Tipp area myself and there's nothing. There were two organisations I was getting work with before I finished my MA - one has since shut down, the other had it's funding cancelled so no work for me.

For those who say it's our own fault for not upskilling, that's a pile of steaming crap too. I have upgraded my skills every 2 years or so through formal college study, distance learning and industry exams. I have a strong CV and excellent references. I've volunteered, worked crap hours and been completely flexible as a jobseeker. There's one big exception - location. You can upgrade your skills all you like, but if the jobs/funding leave an area and you can't follow them, you could have PhDs coming out your hole and you still won't find work. A good CV is pretty useless if there's nowhere to send it to. And yes, I know that I could do a 210-mile daily round trip commute to Dublin and that it's my choice not to, but even if I could do that to my child, there is no childminder who will take a kid for 14 hours a day (and rightly so).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

It is true, there are no jobs going in Limerick / Tipp. I've given up. Looking for jobs in Dublin now, and have to move there. It's fine for me because I don't have a house bought, or children to consider, but I feel sorry for the people that do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Was on the dole a few years ago for a short while - it was horrendous, I was absolutely miserable. I think now though if I end up on it, I'll hate it, but probably won't let it get me down as much as that time did - that was during the "boom" whereas at least I wouldn't feel alone this time around. Plus, I'd use my skills set to try and be entrepreneurial, and would definitely like to do voluntary work (apparently it's hard to get voluntary jobs though :eek:). It's extremely hard though if you're not the kind of person to whom it's suited - having a positive attitude only goes so far too. I know the odd person on this thread didn't mind it, but I'd say they're rare.

Actually, is it the number one thing to act like a cunt about on Boards? Or would that be the female body shape?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Dudess wrote: »
    Was on the dole a few years ago for a short while - it was horrendous, I was absolutely miserable
    I asked this earlier in the thread and got no response. What exactly is so horrendous about being on the dole for a short while?

Boredom, loneliness, feeling worthless, lethargy, the need for a bit of structure, the days blend into each other so whether it's Saturday or Tuesday it's all the same, not knowing when it will end. Not applicable to everyone on the dole, but I'm betting the majority.

For me, it was a few months - it wouldn't be too bad knowing there was an end, but when you don't know whether there's an end in sight... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I can see that sort of thing cropping up if you are long term (years) unemployed, but I just cant understand it for people on the dole a couple of months! Do people have nothing outside of work? How do they take holidays and not freak out? Its crazy how conditioned people become to having to go to some job to give their life meaning.

I contracted for a few years and often spent months not working between contracts. It was brilliant! Id gladly never work again if I could get away with it.

Not conditioning - I don't like having to go to work at all, but when I don't have it for more than a few weeks, I crave structure. It's not work itself - it's something to get up for. The holidays comparison is moot (if you're referring to going on holidays as opposed to just days off) as you're doing stuff when on holidays. It's just different for different people. I was self employed too and couldn't bear those gaps between jobs. I also hated the lack of social outlet - that's why I could never work from home. When you've nothing to do all morning and afternoon and you're on your own, not much good to you when your friends are at work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't think it's conditioning, I think having structure is important mentally. There's also the social aspect as you're surrounded by people all day.
    Having people expecting you, relying on you, having responsibility to do something and feel like you're getting something DONE... it can really hit you once it's taken away.

Advertisement