Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you on the dole?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Most days the only conversations I have are with the cat! Hubby is working mini me is at school and I am left at home all day it is doing my head in! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't think it's conditioning, I think having structure is important mentally. There's also the social aspect as you're surrounded by people all day.
    Having people expecting you, relying on you, having responsibility to do something and feel like you're getting something DONE... it can really hit you once it's taken away.

That's all fine but why, in the 21st century, do most of us have to spend the majority of our waking lives working?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

mickrock wrote: »
    That's all fine but why, in the 21st century, do most of us have to spend the majority of our waking lives working?

1/3 working 1/3 sleeping 1/3 misc!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

bluewolf wrote: »
    1/3 working 1/3 sleeping 1/3 misc!

Most people are too knackered after their 1/3 working to do much during their 1/3 misc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Was on it for 14 months, from August '09. Did every interview I could, in Dublin (where I live), but also several in Cork, Galway and Belfast. That would have had me renting a flat somewhere while my missus continued to live in our house in Dublin and we only saw each other at weekends. I was as flexible as I could be and still live in Ireland. Emigration was once again looming...

Thankfully I got myself a contract role last month. The money's not great and it could end at any time, but I feel at last that I'm back to normal. I'm also receiving more interest from recruiters than I was when unemployed, way more interest.

I'd like to say thanks to the people in the SW who dealt with me, the ladies in the post office who had to see my mug every week and Bank of Ireland who agreed to place me on an interest-only plan for six months (twice) rather than putting me into arrears, repossession and all that stuff.

To those of you who are still on the dole, just keep trying. Eventually something will come along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

I'm on the dole around two months now (six weeks of that was waiting around for them to actually give me any money). I only finished my Masters at the end of August and went straight on to it.

I wasn't that motivated looking for work (was a bit iffy about what area to try and get into) and only sent out seven C.V's where three were speculative and four were for specific jobs. Out of the specific jobs I applied to I got two interviews. My first interview went well but they thought I was better looking for work in a somewhat different field. The second interview also went well and I got called back to do a second interview and presentation. I landed the job and will be signing the contract sometime this week though the job doesn't start till January.

So I'll be on the dole for another 2 months though safe in the knowledge that I have a job ready for me in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I used to be a person that laughed at anyone on the dole but my opinion changed

Only when you were like the people you used to laugh at was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I need advise. Work as a carpenter has ground to a halt nearly completely.

Should one wait it out, or start(retrain) again at 30 something.
    Im going to be up against the kids at what I would like to do next

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Don't stress, he can eat cheese.

To answer the OP's question.

No thankfully I'm not, and I'm in a position that I never will be.

When I drive past the ever lenghtening que's outside the social welfare offices in town (Dublin, duh!) my heart breaks and I can't imagine what its like for the people who until recent times thought life was just rosey.

And believe it or not, I think about the guys here who post up about losing their jobs, endless interviews etc.. and curse the posters here, the fvcking idiots tbh who refer to those on the dole as 'scumbags'.

Its bloody heart breaking, and I really do appreciate how lucky I am..

You never will be?how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

YES, Im a dole bum :mad: trough no fault of my own if i may add:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bigpink wrote: »
    You never will be?how?

PM me if you really want to know.

Advertisement