Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you on the dole?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

gaytony wrote: »
    i thought the country was at the point of no return due to years of reckless lending and borrowing and a government with no foresight , not because of social welfare?:confused:

The country is at the point of no return due to the generous increases in government spending over the past 10 years of which welfare is a part. The bank bailout merely adds to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Spudmonkey wrote: »
    which welfare is a part.
    A huge part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

marxcoo wrote: »
    Except it's Saturday. You're so unemployed you don't even know what day it is :p

So true!

Tho I did work on saturdays when I was employed, even then I was messing weekends up. My weekend was a Mon & Tue. Cheap nights but not many people :/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Sometimes I wish I was on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Spent a couple of months on the dole after I left college in '05. Fcukin hated it. Any dealings I had with the social welfare office seemed to be designed to make me feel 2 foot tall. Id only been signing on a couple of weeks when blunt letters started coming requesting rejection letters etc etc. I guess this was at the height of the boom when there was full employment, so they had plenty of time to give people on the dole special treatment, I imagine that has changed now. The whole thing just left a bad taste in the mouth. I hope ill manage to avoid it from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

galwayrush wrote: »
    I tried after i went through a few weeks with zero income, they refused me. Self employed Irish after years of paying tax are not entitled.:rolleyes:

You're better off without it in the long run.Self employed = resourceful and hard working in most cases.

It is typical of the discrimination in Ireland against people who try to look after themselves instead of expecting the state to wipe their arses for them.They pay their tax and a lot more of it than anyone else and get denied a few weeks assistance.

What kind of message does this send to immigrants.Great way to repel the productive ones and entice bums.

Self employed in Ireland should form an alliance and refuse to pay any more income tax.Doctors have been getting raped for years as have many other professions.If they could all come together on the same page they might be a force to be reckoned with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Never been on it yet, will have to leave the country next september to avoid it

You're better off without it in the long run.Self employed = resourceful and hard working in most cases.

It is typical of the discrimination in Ireland against people who try to look after themselves instead of expecting the state to wipe their arses for them.They pay their tax and a lot more of it than anyone else and get denied a few weeks assistance.

What kind of message does this send to immigrants.Great way to repel the productive ones and entice bums.

Self employed in Ireland should form an alliance and refuse to pay any more income tax.Doctors have been getting raped for years as have many other professions.If they could all come together on the same page they might be a force to be reckoned with

I was nodding in agreement until I got to the highlighted bit. I wouldn't class them as the poor mouths tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

not sure why you're lumping DA in with the dole, one is about being ABLE to work but cant find any, the other about being UNABLE to work :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭alandublin15

no need to feel guilty about drawing the dole from a population that pays ivor callely and jedward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

not on it, unemployed graduate but i havent worked in ireland in years (i spent my summers abroad) so no prsi contributions. My mother passed away recently so think i may be entitled to something now, have to see. I have zero income but the bills still come as ive inherited the house, savings dwindling fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Where's the BTEA option?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Yep i am. It's really starting to get to me now. This is the 1st time i've ever found it hard to get a job. I try to stay positive about it, but when you can't even get an interview, it's hard to see a bright side at times. I know though that compared to others i'm lucky. I've no one to look after but myself and i've a very understanding landlord. Still though, i think i'll be back home with the mother in the new year way things are going.

I was nodding in agreement until I got to the highlighted bit. I wouldn't class them as the poor mouths tbh.

There is a gross socio economic misconception about doctors.Think about what they have to do.Med school is a long tough haul.Do you have any idea of the crazy hours interns have to work.

Or how much it costs to set up a general practice.You have to expose yourself and your family to the threat of disease on a constant basis.

The medical card system has shafted them.

They get subpoenaed to high court cases and have to pay their own expenses should they need to travel.

They are liable to be called out at any hour.

They go into places you would be too scared to go to to deal with people you wouldn't touch.

They get to tell young people on the cusp of life's adventure, "sorry kid you've got 6 months to live."

And then there's the tax they have to pay.People fantasise that Doctors are tax dodging profiteers without having the slightest insight.What % of their income is paid in tax would you think?

A lot of the money you think your doctor is making is actually going to the pockets of the Pharmaceutical industry,and that is a legal matter not a medical one.Doctors are not lawyers.

How many practising doctors have ever made The Times Rich List.In terms of making big bucks Doctors are way way down the list.

If they really are that bad,stick em all in jail.There's plenty of honest, altruistic homeopaths out there I'm sure, and chiropracters and reiki practioners.But your GP (the one with the medical degree and Hippocratic Oath) is the one you think is a shister?Or the surgeon who operates for up to 20 hours solid on your loved one while the gream reaper hovers over them?

These guys are hands in the filth hard working, mentally tough, social assets.

Try and remember that the next time you see a newly elected politician being carried around on shoulders like he just saved the world.

Or the next time you hear of priests raping children.Think of what doctors do.

Or when you're kissing your bank managers arse for a millwheel mortgage to pay for the 1/2 million euro timberframe that some freshfaced realtor just stung you on.

I don't think the Doc is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

People don't work on Saturdays, no?

I wouldn't know, i don't have a job... I'm a student. Meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

im on back to education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

marxcoo wrote: »
    I wouldn't know, i don't have a job... I'm a student. Meh.

Plenty of students also have jobs. Not all of them have the benefit of affording their fees etc without a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Plenty of students also have jobs. Not all of them have the benefit of affording their fees etc without a job.

Yes, I am aware of this. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

im 19 in ucc, got 2 jobs. and i appreciate it every day

There is a gross socio economic misconception about doctors.Think about what they have to do.Med school is a long tough haul.Do you have any idea of the crazy hours interns have to work.

Or how much it costs to set up a general practice.You have to expose yourself and your family to the threat of disease on a constant basis.

The medical card system has shafted them.

They get subpoenaed to high court cases and have to pay their own expenses should they need to travel.

They are liable to be called out at any hour.

They go into places you would be too scared to go to to deal with people you wouldn't touch.

They get to tell young people on the cusp of life's adventure, "sorry kid you've got 6 months to live."

And then there's the tax they have to pay.People fantasise that Doctors are tax dodging profiteers without having the slightest insight.What % of their income is paid in tax would you think?

A lot of the money you think your doctor is making is actually going to the pockets of the Pharmaceutical industry,and that is a legal matter not a medical one.Doctors are not lawyers.

How many practising doctors have ever made The Times Rich List.In terms of making big bucks Doctors are way way down the list.

If they really are that bad,stick em all in jail.There's plenty of honest, altruistic homeopaths out there I'm sure, and chiropracters and reiki practioners.But your GP (the one with the medical degree and Hippocratic Oath) is the one you think is a shister?Or the surgeon who operates for up to 20 hours solid on your loved one while the gream reaper hovers over them?

These guys are hands in the filth hard working, mentally tough, social assets.

Try and remember that the next time you see a newly elected politician being carried around on shoulders like he just saved the world.

Or the next time you hear of priests raping children.Think of what doctors do.

Or when you're kissing your bank managers arse for a millwheel mortgage to pay for the 1/2 million euro timberframe that some freshfaced realtor just stung you on.

I don't think the Doc is the problem

Jesus Christ that was a post made by someone really affiliated in some way with the medical profession.

Em.. No I was more talking about the consultant types who have been raking in 200k+ a year... over twice what they make in Germany for example.

What the hell are you talking about priests raping kids for? You sound like you have a serious chip on your shoulder and need some outlet for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Don't stress, he can eat cheese.

To answer the OP's question.

No thankfully I'm not, and I'm in a position that I never will be.

When I drive past the ever lenghtening que's outside the social welfare offices in town (Dublin, duh!) my heart breaks and I can't imagine what its like for the people who until recent times thought life was just rosey.

And believe it or not, I think about the guys here who post up about losing their jobs, endless interviews etc.. and curse the posters here, the fvcking idiots tbh who refer to those on the dole as 'scumbags'.

Its bloody heart breaking, and I really do appreciate how lucky I am..

Agreed. Heard a story on the radio a few months back from a man in his thirties in Dublin who's daughter smashed open her piggy bank and gave him 70 odd euro for the electric to be turned back on. He said it was rock bottom for him. I shed a tear i don't mind saying.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was on the dole until 5 weeks ago. I am extremely thankful that I was able to find a full-time job about a month and a half after finishing my masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Was on the dole until 5 weeks ago. I am extremely thankful that I was able to find a full-time job about a month and a half after finishing my masters.
    Nice one fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I was on the dole in the UK, and if you think Ireland is bad, you should try living on JSA in England....it's not the greatest experience and not one I'd want to repeat. In fact, your better off earning nothing and declaring yourself employed then earning JSA in the UK...they give you that little, help you that little and treat you that abusively.

Only someone who would really really need to be on that system should go down that road.

Jesus Christ that was a post made by someone really affiliated in some way with the medical profession.

Em.. No I was more talking about the consultant types who have been raking in 200k+ a year... over twice what they make in Germany for example.

What the hell are you talking about priests raping kids for? You sound like you have a serious chip on your shoulder and need some outlet for it.

Maybe some consultants are making nice dough but they've served their time too, and they serve their purpose.

I brought up the priest thing because it seems more and more that the people in society we exalt and trust are the ones who are harming us.Meanwhile we sneer at society's contributors like doctors.

I think, as I said before, self employed people need to band together and fight for their bit of fair play.They should not be throwing daggers at their own kind.

Irish GPs are self employed,pay crazy tax,and are on your side.They would add significant weight to a union of self employed people and small business employers.Such a union could wield considerable and practical political clout.

First though everyone one must recognise who is on their team.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The whole self employed thing is a disgrace. The tax credit is very low. single person pays tax from about 10k profit. We pay 3% PRSI and can get no benefit from it, no dental etc and no dole. being self Employed, if I needed the dole, I wouldnt get it. I would have to go to the extra hardship people who will only pay out if you have zero savings or car of value etc while a person who I could have been employing is entitled to everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I haven't been on the dole since I was in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Don't stress, he can eat cheese.

To answer the OP's question.

No thankfully I'm not, and I'm in a position that I never will be.

When I drive past the ever lenghtening que's outside the social welfare offices in town (Dublin, duh!) my heart breaks and I can't imagine what its like for the people who until recent times thought life was just rosey.

And believe it or not, I think about the guys here who post up about losing their jobs, endless interviews etc.. and curse the posters here, the fvcking idiots tbh who refer to those on the dole as 'scumbags'.

Its bloody heart breaking, and I really do appreciate how lucky I am..

Brian Cowan, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 alidxx

i only have 3 days work in my job so i get the dole for the other days im off..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Nope, but as the weeks go by it looks like I'm going to have little option other than to sign on. I'm trying my best to find work, I've had various interviews since leaving Uni just over a month ago (and no, I'm not just looking for jobs in my field). I'm just not catching a break. You see apparently, even though I have a wealth of experience in a number of different roles, I'm not hirable because my experience isn't recent enough. I mean how dare I have spent the past 4 years in Uni, and the past 2 years not working in order to focus on my grades.

Advertisement