Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you on the dole?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

In college, so no dole for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Nope, but as the weeks go by it looks like I'm going to have little option other than to sign on. I'm trying my best to find work, I've had various interviews since leaving Uni just over a month ago (and no, I'm not just looking for jobs in my field). I'm just not catching a break. You see apparently, even though I have a wealth of experience in a number of different roles, I'm not hirable because my experience isn't recent enough. I mean how dare I have spent the past 4 years in Uni, and the past 2 years not working in order to focus on my grades.

This is my problem too, I think. Today I dropped into a shop that were looking for staff. she asked had i experience, I said ya and named the places, and she was impressed, and said she'd ring during the week, but I expect she'll see in the meantime that the last time i was in that area was about 3 years ago now. Same reason - taking 'time off' for fourth year.

I get that recent experience is necessary for some types of jobs, but for retail hardly. People were cunts back then, they still are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

im 19 in ucc, got 2 jobs. and i appreciate it every day

That's just greedy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

At least you're getting interviews, keep that up and you'll get something sooner or later

Did about 8 months on the dole where I only got one interview before finding my job, soul destroying stuff and not in the ideal job now but still delighted to have it. Even if the pay is a pittance - although it wouldn't be so bad if galway rent wasn't still so high

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

i'm on the dole,its poxy. i learned a trade and earned good money in the boom. been signed on since may/june. applied for all manner of jobs. get pissed off when wxxkers say people on dole are lazy,too fussy, wont do shxxty jobs etc.......
    im hopeing to start a job in a week or so,please god, working as a labourer. i'll be earing half what i was getting in boom and i'll be working like a dog. i'd rather shovel shxt for min wage then be on the dole. the social welfare system in ireland stinks. its not too generous, as some say, its buttons. and your treated like a dirty parasite dole cheat by the prxxks civil servants you have to deal with, even though you've worked and paid taxes all your life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

At least you're getting interviews, keep that up and you'll get something sooner or later

Did about 8 months on the dole where I only got one interview before finding my job, soul destroying stuff and not in the ideal job now but still delighted to have it. Even if the pay is a pittance - although it wouldn't be so bad if galway rent wasn't still so high

I haven't got one yet, like I said I'm kinda expecting her to realise how long ago it was I worked there, so probably won't get one.

I've been unemployed for too long. I need things to change.

I know what you're saying about rent. I noticed that about galway rent too, they're crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Yup!
    I'm leaving Ireland (again) in Jan to find work.
    I only returned a few months ago after living overseas for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

prxxks civil servants you have to deal with

I'd agree with this after an encounter my wife had a few weeks ago, it was a phone call from a dole assessor;

DA - Where do you live
    Wife - *she explains exactly which house*
    DA - I'm outside your house now, why aren't you here? (very rude)
    Wife - I'm in work
    DA - When do you finish?
    Wife - 5pm
    DA - Will you be here tomorrow?
    Wife - i work Tue to Sat 9-5?
    DA - Well if you work all those hours, why are you on the dole?
    Wife - I'm not on the dole, i opened my own business and i'm on an ELDC (start-up business payment).
    DA - *realising she hadn't even bothered her ass to open my wifes folder before she came to our house, she tries to cover her ass* in a fluster, I dont care what your scheme your on. You're claiming benefits, you have to come down to my office tomorrow morning"
    Wife - Ok, what time?
    DA - 9am
    Wife - :confused: I start work at 9am
    DA - tuts again - Phone my office for an appointment. and hangs up phone

This assessor had the bitchiest attitude, i'd say she just treats everyone as scum, the meeting in the office a few days later was worse, they hounded her on every little point, they tried to claim i must be earning more money that my wages (just an average wage, but i have to work 60-70 per week for it) and questioned why i was paying for SKY and broadband.
    My wife gets €16.25 per week on this scheme, works full-time and is trying her best to get her shop up and running. She could have easily went on the dole, and be making €200 per week doing nothing, but she made the decision to start-up on her own, which is very risky, as if it doesn't work out, she wont every be able to claim the dole again. This week she made €10 after bills, (but it was a worse than normal week), after that meeting she really felt that these people dont see any difference in a person recenlty made redundent and getting €16 per week to start up a shop, and those people who have been on the dole since before the boom busted and get nearly €200 per week plus extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

dole claiments in the boom was about 5% max, that means that there's 5% that cant/wont work in a fit. dole nows about 14%, that means theres 10%,approx 300,000 people that are hard working folks that want to work but cant get work. 300,000 that worked and payed taxes in the boom,over last 20 yrs, that are now being treated like spongers cos biffo and co have deciced to put our nations wealth and future to bail out stock market gamblers! its sick and insane tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

no thank ****... bunch of loosers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

flanum wrote: »

Learn how to spell before you try slag people will ya. Loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Clown Shoes

I thought mid term finished last week? Stay away from Mammy´s drinks cabinets, chump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Common as...

:pac::pac::pac:I wouldn't mind, but you only had five words in your post. :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

No, luckily. Ended up dropping out of my first year college course a few weeks ago, going to re-apply next September. My parents were pestering me to go straight on the dole, but I dug my heels in straight away - who wants to go straight on the dole?!

Luckily, I got a call for an interview the day after I moved back home. I also ended up getting the job, but I haven't started yet. It's only for Christmas work, but it's 20/25 hours a week and hopefully I'll be able to get a permanent job at the end of it (a transfer would be ideal! Need to move out of home. Hello, Galway!). So, I'm just waiting for the call to start work.... Need to save up some money, would love to travel a bit this year.

My mother is on the dole. I don't have a problem with people being on the dole once they're actually looking to get a job again. However, my mother isn't remotely looking for a job. She's over 40, no college education but plenty of experience, and I just wonder what she plans on doing for the rest of her life... I have a problem with her being on the dole, because she's turned into a right parasite. A few years ago, she'd bi*ch about everyone claiming benefits. Now, it's "everyone else is claiming for everything, then so will I!". That attitude really pisses me off. She even tried to force me to go on the dole for the few weeks before I started work.

You can't believe how smug I was when I told her that I had an interview, the day after I dropped out, when she said that "there's absolutely NO jobs ANYWHERE!"

Maybe there would be, if you looked. :o

So, no, I'm not on the dole, hope I never have to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gaytony

Mammy issues.

Healium wrote: »
    No, luckily. Ended up dropping out of my first year college course a few weeks ago, going to re-apply next September. My parents were pestering me to go straight on the dole, but I dug my heels in straight away - who wants to go straight on the dole?!

Luckily, I got a call for an interview the day after I moved back home. I also ended up getting the job, but I haven't started yet. It's only for Christmas work, but it's 20/25 hours a week and hopefully I'll be able to get a permanent job at the end of it (a transfer would be ideal! Need to move out of home. Hello, Galway!). So, I'm just waiting for the call to start work.... Need to save up some money, would love to travel a bit this year.

My mother is on the dole. I don't have a problem with people being on the dole once they're actually looking to get a job again. However, my mother isn't remotely looking for a job. She's over 40, no college education but plenty of experience, and I just wonder what she plans on doing for the rest of her life... I have a problem with her being on the dole, because she's turned into a right parasite. A few years ago, she'd bi*ch about everyone claiming benefits. Now, it's "everyone else is claiming for everything, then so will I!". That attitude really pisses me off. She even tried to force me to go on the dole for the few weeks before I started work.

You can't believe how smug I was when I told her that I had an interview, the day after I dropped out, when she said that "there's absolutely NO jobs ANYWHERE!"

Maybe there would be, if you looked. :o

So, no, I'm not on the dole, hope I never have to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

says the guy a member of the dennis the menace fan club
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802773

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I was on the dole for over 12 months until September when I thankfully got a full-time permanent job in Dublin Airport! Delighted to be working again. I didn't realise how unemployment affected me until I got back working!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

Just started college so no I am not on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Elessar wrote: »
    I was on the dole for over 12 months until September when I thankfully got a full-time permanent job in Dublin Airport! Delighted to be working again. I didn't realise how unemployment affected me until I got back working!

fap burn, it's a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

That's just greedy! :D

gotta get all i can to fund my life abroad very soon:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Gerry Asstrix

Been on the dole over a year now, have qualifications and work experience but not a hope of ANY job not even McDonalds.

I understand why people rob banks and commit kidnappings now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Maybe some consultants are making nice dough but they've served their time too, and they serve their purpose.

I brought up the priest thing because it seems more and more that the people in society we exalt and trust are the ones who are harming us.Meanwhile we sneer at society's contributors like doctors.

I think, as I said before, self employed people need to band together and fight for their bit of fair play.They should not be throwing daggers at their own kind.

Irish GPs are self employed,pay crazy tax,and are on your side.They would add significant weight to a union of self employed people and small business employers.Such a union could wield considerable and practical political clout.

First though everyone one must recognise who is on their team.

To be honest with you mate, I know exactly where you are coming from. My own father was self employed. I knew that if he ever had to call time on his work (while he was working), he would have been entitled to no support at all. Frankly I think that is just plain wrong. 30 odd years working and entitled to nothing, while if you do nothing you can receive state aid.

My problem with choosing a doctor as an example is that I don't know of any poor doctor. The few living around us have pretty large houses and large cars. I don't sneer at them, I have huge respect for surgeons who are skilled at what they do, no-more so though than I do for a vet or pharmacist or engineer who is equally good at what they do.

Anyway needless to say, in my opinion, if someone has paid their PRSI they should be every bit as entitled to state support as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tinchy

im not on the dole, ive recently went back to college. I work one, two days a week if im lucky so it averages out at 120e a week. I have to take 50e rent and pay for a car outta this but im just about managing. I dont mind people being on the dole if they've actually lost their job etc but i know soo many students on part-time and full time dole. take my flatmate for example, a student, He has been receiving dole for a couple of years, 200e a week almost, then works cash in hand the odd shift in a bar. it sickens me how much extra money he has to go out and buy things while im struggling and working since i was 15. sometimes I wish he was caught out and made to live like the rest of us students grr. im just jealous i suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Tinchy wrote: »
    im not on the dole, ive recently went back to college. I work one, two days a week if im lucky so it averages out at 120e a week. I have to take 50e rent and pay for a car outta this but im just about managing. I dont mind people being on the dole if they've actually lost their job etc but i know soo many students on part-time and full time dole. take my flatmate for example, a student, He has been receiving dole for a couple of years, 200e a week almost, then works cash in hand the odd shift in a bar. it sickens me how much extra money he has to go out and buy things while im struggling and working since i was 15. sometimes I wish he was caught out and made to live like the rest of us students grr. im just jealous i suppose!

yeah if you can beat em join em:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    yeah if you can beat em join em:cool:

And if you can't join em report them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysusake

Don't stress, he can eat cheese.

To answer the OP's question.

No thankfully I'm not, and I'm in a position that I never will be.

When I drive past the ever lenghtening que's outside the social welfare offices in town (Dublin, duh!) my heart breaks and I can't imagine what its like for the people who until recent times thought life was just rosey.

And believe it or not, I think about the guys here who post up about losing their jobs, endless interviews etc.. and curse the posters here, the fvcking idiots tbh who refer to those on the dole as 'scumbags'.

Its bloody heart breaking, and I really do appreciate how lucky I am..
    fair play to ye, its nice to see a comment like that once in a while...hats off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I was on the Dole up until July,thankfully I've gotten a new job since then

was possibly the worst six months of my life,far from what the average member of the joe duffy brigade would have you think
    I scraped by for six months and clocked up even more debt by letting credit card and loan repayments slip behind (that €190 doesn't go far)
    trying to deal with people in social welfare offices/revenue etc was soul destroying,hours spent queuing with strangers in the worst parts of town only to be told you've been sent to the wrong place or you don't have some form signed by somebody else in a similar Grey and bleak building in a different part of town

I'm still waiting for my redundancy from the state almost a year later (which totally defeats its purpose)

so yes,my heart goes out to those not lucky enough to have a Job if they want to find one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

No longer on the dole because i used up all the credits. Not applying for bloody jobseekers either, because i dont plan to stay in poxy dublin for much longer. Started working freelance in the meantime, hope to christ it can help me save enough cash to get a decent start elsewhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I was on the dole until this month - my stamps just ran out and my husbands earnings are over the threshhold so I can't get JB, just signing for credits now. I've gotten a few weeks work here and there (and signed off while doing it, nothing underhand). I did an MA while working full time two years ago but to get work in the area I qualified in we'll have to move, there's nothing outside Dublin, maybe Cork. This is a bit of a problem as my husband has a long commute (110 mile round trip every day) and we don't want to end up working in opposite ends of the country.

I've been applying for jobs doing other stuff locally too but most won't take me on because they see I'm likely to leave if I get an offer in the area I should be working in. The bits of work I've got have generally been passed on by friends and family, but they're not substantial or regular enough to be able to rely on.

I know I'm lucky that our kid hasn't started school yet and we don't have a mortgage, so we have some flexibility and can move. Financially, we're okay - were sensible and didn't get into debt - but I still hate not having my own income. This is the first time since I was 12 years old that I haven't had some kind of a job and I find it very hard to deal with. I don't like being a housewife. The dole office thing didn't bother me though, I found the staff in our local office to be absolutely lovely, very helpful and always trying to get me every kind of assistance going.

So I'm just sucking it up for now, waiting to see what will happen with my husband's job and figuring out where we'll go. If we have to move anyway, we might as well consider further afield. Weather might be better at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

fat__tony wrote: »
    It's an awful, soul-destroying experience and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.
    I really dont get this attitude. Whats soul-destroying about it? Ive been on the dole twice and my soul is still very much intact.

Advertisement