Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you on the dole?

Options
  • 06-11-2010 8:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

What proportion of boards users sign on?

Are you on the dole (JA/JB/DA) 175 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 175 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

*cue ignorant comment about people on the dole*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Who gives a f*ck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gaytony

Who gives a f*ck?

apparently a lot of people , it seems to be the main talking point these days in news papers on tv and forums

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Whats the dole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Whats the dole?

De Old Labour Exchange......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

No, and hopefully I never will! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I tried after i went through a few weeks with zero income, they refused me. Self employed Irish after years of paying tax are not entitled.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

galwayrush wrote: »
    I tried after i went through a few weeks with zero income, they refused me. Self employed Irish after years of paying tax are not entitled.:rolleyes:

You paid the relevant PRSI and you're not entitled? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

bonerm wrote: »

Absolutely not.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Don't stress, he can eat cheese.

To answer the OP's question.

No thankfully I'm not, and I'm in a position that I never will be.

When I drive past the ever lenghtening que's outside the social welfare offices in town (Dublin, duh!) my heart breaks and I can't imagine what its like for the people who until recent times thought life was just rosey.

And believe it or not, I think about the guys here who post up about losing their jobs, endless interviews etc.. and curse the posters here, the fvcking idiots tbh who refer to those on the dole as 'scumbags'.

Its bloody heart breaking, and I really do appreciate how lucky I am..

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Where's the "F*ck off and mind your own business" option?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Get this, at the lower end, the self employed pay more PRSI than a PAYE employee, yet if they lose their job they get nothing while the PAYE employee can get benefits for a year irrespective of their other means.

Even better, a (single) self employed person only gets half the tax credits that an employed person gets.

Best of all, self employment is actually much more beneficial for the economy as a jobs model as it creates more intense price competition and everyone is incentivised not only to do their job, but to do it better and in new ways than others have done.

But no, no, penalise dem greedy self employed etc etc. Ironicially some of the calls to penalise the self employed come from those who have the view that the self employed are fiddling their books. But these measures affect the honest self employed, not the dishonest ones.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

And believe it or not, I think about the guys here who post up about losing their jobs, endless interviews etc.. and curse the posters here, the fvcking idiots tbh who refer to those on the dole as 'scumbags'.

Its bloody heart breaking, and I really do appreciate how lucky I am..

Just to be clear, it is entirely consistent to say on the one hand that you feel sorry for people on the dole, but also that you recognise that the dole payments are far to high for the country to sustain. If people express anger at the fact that the country is almost past the point of no return because of the huge social welfare bill, it does not mean that they are angry towards the individuals who have lost their jobs and are on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

I'm not on the dole. Was looking a bit ominous there for a while, but I did an interview in work which went very well and got a contract last week till jan 2012... fcuking A! my brother has been on/off it for the last year, he gets fairly pissd off when he's not working, but has been lucky not to be on it for very long spells. My next door neighbour is out of work since feb this year, and was ok about it for a while, caught up on his fishing, stuff at home. But, the novelty wore off shortly enough, and theres nothing out there, so he's not too positive about the future. And then theres the bills need playing.

It must be really tough for people trying to cope with no job and fcuk all money. i'm very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 gaytony

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Where's the "F*ck off and mind your own business" option?

the poll is anonymous

If people express anger at the fact that the country is almost past the point of no return because of the huge social welfare bill

i thought the country was at the point of no return due to years of reckless lending and borrowing and a government with no foresight , not because of social welfare?:confused:

as someone on the dole for the past few months the fact that they are cutting it wouldn't really matter if the cost of day to day living also went down and if the government got their finger out and actually done something about job creation to give some sort of hope that there is a way out of the social welfare trap

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Just to be clear, it is entirely consistent to say on the one hand that you feel sorry for people on the dole, but also that you recognise that the dole payments are far to high for the country to sustain. If people express anger at the fact that the country is almost past the point of no return because of the huge social welfare bill, it does not mean that they are angry towards the individuals who have lost their jobs and are on the dole.
    Nicely said is nice that some people realise that most of us on Welfare at the moment have just been unlucky and are,nt scumbags. I think though that we r in a catch 22 situation now , yes welfare is too high and unsustainable , but also a huge percentage of decent people on welfare with mortgages etc. won,t be able to survive a cut in their rate !! maybe the cure will become a bigger problem ? homeless families is not something we want but will be a big possibility imo... cut Public service pay surely has to happen , reform welfare so that is spread sensibly , i.e. genuine needs r met , and close our eyes and pray

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Hmm is anyone else surprised by the poll?? I would have thought 50-50 by the way people keep banging on about it!

I'm not on the dole, I'm a student. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Nope I'm not but I have been. I used to be a person that laughed at anyone on the dole but my opinion changed. Granted they are some people who never worked a day in their life and never intend to and are on it, but there are also people who have been working hard for years just to wake up and find they have no job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im on the dole and its not as bad as people make it out to be. I would prefer to have a job but i cant get one so i occupy myself through other means. Only boring people get bored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

People on the dole are not responsible for the sh!t we're in at the moment & certainly not the biggest drain on money. Way way too many public sector employees being paid too much but they're not to blame either. We're in the sh!t because of the bunch of greedy, incompetent, lazy pricks that are supposed to be running this country who basically went on a 7 year holiday with the occasional appearance at 'work' from 2000 - 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

No. Will have to come January though. Some start to the New Year... Never been before and wish I didn't have to. Hopefully it won't be for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Not yet, but it's looking more and more likely that I will be for a few months until I get a course I want

SOMEONE HIRE ME

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Hmm is anyone else surprised by the poll?? I would have thought 50-50 by the way people keep banging on about it!

I'm not on the dole, I'm a student. :p

Well the unemployment rate is around 14% so boards apparently has a much higher than average unemployment rate. wasters....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

marxcoo wrote: »
    Well the unemployment rate is around 14% so boards apparently has a much higher than average unemployment rate. wasters....

Just wait til the working folks get home and post their votes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

People on the dole are not responsible for the sh!t we're in at the moment & certainly not the biggest drain on money. Way way too many public sector employees being paid too much but they're not to blame either. We're in the sh!t because of the bunch of greedy, incompetent, lazy pricks that are supposed to be running this country who basically went on a 7 year holiday with the occasional appearance at 'work' from 2000 - 2007.

^ oh no ..........this is going to get ugly fast, *runs for cover* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭marxcoo

Yawns wrote: »
    Just wait til the working folks get home and post their votes :D

Except it's Saturday. You're so unemployed you don't even know what day it is :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

jajaja but boards people are online a ridiculous amount of the time so I thought that most were unemployed/students. Looks like a lot of them are just dossing at work!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

No, but I have been for 10 weeks until mid January this year.

It's an awful, soul-destroying experience and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.

Working at any job is better than been on the dole and when I hear stories of people who have been unemployed for over a year and they turn a job down because 'they're better off on the dole' it just boggles the mind.

I've heard of an architect (may have read it on here) that was out of work for 2 years since September 2008, turned down a position at an architectural practice in Dublin because he would have been only marginally better off working.

Jesus Christ, architects jobs are like hens teeth and this clown turns a position down because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Except it's Saturday. You're so unemployed you don't even know what day it is :p

People don't work on Saturdays, no?

Advertisement