Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2K11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Who did you guys get drafted to in My Player Mode?

I went 1st Round 30th overall I think to the Orlando Magic. Which I was delighted with as I was projected to go 2nd round to the Wizards...

But im 12 games into the season and im close to a starting spot, my status is 6th man, and im getting 2 mins less than the starters. Just want to get an idea of where you guys got drafted and how long it took before you were starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Who did you guys get drafted to in My Player Mode?

I went 1st Round 30th overall I think to the Orlando Magic. Which I was delighted with as I was projected to go 2nd round to the Wizards...

But im 12 games into the season and im close to a starting spot, my status is 6th man, and im getting 2 mins less than the starters. Just want to get an idea of where you guys got drafted and how long it took before you were starting.
    Is that mode any use? I play a stupid amount of this and it'd be nice to not just play the superstar vs superstar a lot of the people online seem to want to play. I played it a bit in 2k10 and while enjoyable seemed to be lacking something.

the main problem the game has is inconsistency. I know that NBA players have the same problem but it seems when the other team starts to go on a run sometimes it becomes impossible to score and players miss easy shots too much. The star players have always been a problem for the series but I think in this one they can be stopped, double teams don't work as well as previously but are still a vital tool (LB or L1 depending on console i think) on defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

It's been a while since I've played this game. I'm too good for All-Star, but I always get my ass kicked on Superstar. Couldn't find a happy medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Picked this game up when I was in the U.S and I have to say it is brilliant...

I wasn't a fan of 2K sports games before this (got NBA 2K7 and NHL 2K6 and really didn't enjoy either), but this game is great. Haven't enjoyed an NBA game this much since the PSone.

Having said that, I'm completely rubbish (scrapping wins on Rookie & failing all the drills in My Player). Seems to be a steep learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Sea Devils wrote: »
    It's been a while since I've played this game. I'm too good for All-Star, but I always get my ass kicked on Superstar. Couldn't find a happy medium.

Could you not try messing about the the game sliders to make it a bit harder?

This is a great game, although I'm not really very good. Having said that, in My Player i got drafted to the Lakers(2nd round) and somehow was starting at point guard straight away.

My Player is good fun but there are soooo many games in a season before the playoffs. I know you can reduce the length of quarters but then the scores aren't very realistic and its hard to meet the different targets and team mate grades. I really wish you could just reduce it to 28 games or whatever in the regular season in My Player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Could you not try messing about the the game sliders to make it a bit harder?

That's the problem I'm having though. I can't seem to find a decent range of sliders at the moment. :(

I got the game a few months ago but have been only really concentrating on the franchise mode (won a championship with the Bulls) and of course MP. I was bored the other day so decided to set up a player for my player mode and I'm hooked.

Decided to set up my player as a point guard (The position I used to play for the oul school team back in the day :D) and its great. Got drafted in round 1, pick 28 for the magic.

Really enjoying it. As Mikey said earlier in the thread it puts Fifa 11 to shame even in my player mode. The my player mode offline in that is an absolute chore to play while this is great fun.

Possibly the best sports game ever made IMO.

Right that's it, I'm ordering this today.

Had plans to for months now :D.

What will this be like for beginners?.... I tried the demo and it took me a mountain of goes to beat the Celtics.
    I haven't the slightest clue about positional sense, roles or the general ball winning skills(legally)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Got his 2 weeks ago brilliant game to play against others. Bit of a learning curve to get the fancy shots. Pick the Heat and Lebron Jones and youll ace it :D

I got the game a few months ago but have been only really concentrating on the franchise mode (won a championship with the Bulls) and of course MP. I was bored the other day so decided to set up a player for my player mode and I'm hooked.

Decided to set up my player as a point guard (The position I used to play for the oul school team back in the day :D) and its great. Got drafted in round 1, pick 28 for the magic.

Really enjoying it. As Mikey said earlier in the thread it puts Fifa 11 to shame even in my player mode. The my player mode offline in that is an absolute chore to play while this is great fun.

Possibly the best sports game ever made IMO.
    dunno about you but Dwight Howard wins literally every starting tip for me haha.
    Right that's it, I'm ordering this today.

Had plans to for months now :D.

What will this be like for beginners?.... I tried the demo and it took me a mountain of goes to beat the Celtics.
    I haven't the slightest clue about positional sense, roles or the general ball winning skills(legally)

You will struggle at the start but STICK WITH IT. You will be rewarded for patience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,208 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

There is NOTHING more satisfying than a last second buzzer beater in an online pickup game.

NOTHING!

for some reason my shot release has left me, I can't hit anything from mid-range or behind the 3 line anymore and they used to be big strengths of mine. At least my FT% has drastically improved...

People who only pick the Heat online really annoy me, it's literally just Lebron and Wade spin move to the rim for a whole game. I've started to just pick the heat when they do and make it a Heat vs Heat game or switch if they move off the Heat. I love picking the weaker teams but 9 times out of 10 someone will pick a top 5 team against me and it becomes tiresome when you are getting the shots and someone wins because they have a superstar who doesn't miss.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    dunno about you but Dwight Howard wins literally every starting tip for me haha.

Hes an absolute beast! Most of my assists come from just passing him the ball underneath the basket and then him dunking.

Last night against the heat Van Gundy decided to put me at shooting guard to go up against Dwyane Wade and needless to say I think I finished the game with a D+ rating :rolleyes: :D. Just couldnt stop him from laying up.

Hes an absolute beast! Most of my assists come from just passing him the ball underneath the basket and then him dunking.

Last night against the heat Van Gundy decided to put me at shooting guard to go up against Dwyane Wade and needless to say I think I finished the game with a D+ rating :rolleyes: :D. Just couldnt stop him from laying up.

I had my best game against the Heat, I play SF so was on LeBron the whole game, thought I would be ruined, instead I got POTG. It was strange.

Well put in a trade request with the magic and got traded to the knicks :D

I'm enjoying playing with them more so then the magic especially with stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony.

I've won the rookie of the month award 2 times in the 1st 4 months so hopefully get rookie of the year at the end of the season.

Just got this game a few days ago and I'm struggling.

While I have an interest in BB I haven't watched it since TG4 used to have it years ago. Having said that I'm a big sports fan and would have heard off all the main players through the years so wanted to get it.

Seems the learning curve is steep and proving difficult. My knowledge of the positions is slim and I don't know what plays are most effective in each situation.

I watched a defensive video on Youtube which stated to control the centre on the box and switch off when the attack in.

By just doing this and keeping tight I can turn the ball over a bit with missed shots however my offensive play is pretty bad, my shots rarely go in and thats giving me the most trouble.

Anyone offer advice?.. or even better anyone with a Mic willing to have a few games and to go over the basics?.
    If said person also plays FIFA and is struggling likewise I could help there(I've been number 1 in Ireland a few times in each of the games). :D

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

By just doing this and keeping tight I can turn the ball over a bit with missed shots however my offensive play is pretty bad, my shots rarely go in and thats giving me the most trouble.

Attacking is all about good shot selection. I'd recommend playing with one team and getting to know how best to use their players - I did this offline with the Lakers. It took a good few games - but after I worked out how to use Andrew Bynum to slowly work on inside shooting I found a whole new avenue for shots that I wouldn't have made before, and I started understanding what the big deal was about Pau Gasol.

I'm no good with the terminology, but I think that's called post play (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I think there's post play drills in the practice section or within the scrimmage menu. You can work on receiving the balls with your back to the hoop and faking before the dribble, using strength to back toward the lane and knowing when to finally move holding L2 - you'll take a step, secure the ball in both hands and can go for a layup.

It's more fun to drive the lane with Lebron, but you need to grind out statistically likely shots to stay in contention in games.

That'll work well - but even the CPU will change up if you're inside only on offense. Stick with it and you'll get experience handling double teams, drawing fouls on no hope shots and get lots of free throw practice. And the more defensive heat your big forwards draw, the easier it is to find a lane to kick outside to an open man and maybe get an easy three.

You can find a real advantage to just being strong, stable and static near the basket* - then when you can do it safely you will notice the off the ball movement and put people in for easy or open shots.

After that, there are characteristic strengths to different players. Derek Fisher and Kobe can shoot threes pretty effectively if there's nothing else on - but never as a first option.

Turning on the coach's playbook is a great help for direction on how to play to your team's strengths. You have to trust it, it doesn't always seem like it's giving you good direction, and there's no guide on the timing for plays so it's trial and error - but it does eventually click. For example some of the moves require getting lucky with a fast pass to someone moving toward the lane. If you don't make what looks like a stupid pass immediately that play won't work, and it can be confusing. But get it right and you put your man in the clear to jam hard and childish as it is, few games really generate that 'hell yeah' moment.

Feel free to add pov77 on PS3 for a few games. I'm not a very good player, but the basics I've picked up are effective enough to make the game fun. I only win maybe 1 in 10 that I play online :(

*note: dribbling with big men is just plain stupid, e.g. Bynum will just lose control of the ball with any close defensive pressure

I'd say play it around for the first 14 seconds looking to drive/get an open 3 or midrange shot but when it gets to 10 and nothing opens up, look for your star guy and get him to manufacture something. You need a knowledge of strengths and weaknesses to play the game. You have to know the jump shooters from the athletic dunk and layup guys. You will drag the defense out of position by driving or passing it inside, throw it outside if nothing happens in there and just keep probing away. Keep the ball moving but don't be naive as one of the things about this game is the computer can get some impossible looking steals/tips and passes sometimes don't go to the right guy.

Learning a few basic plays can be a big help, it's right on the D-pad to bring up the menu and a pick and roll will get a big guy to come block off the defender guarding you, an isolation will clear players to the sides leaving you 1 on 1 with the person guarding you, a screen will make your best shooter open himself up for a shot (usually a 3) and a post up will get your best big man to set up for a pass inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Sea Devils wrote: »
    One last little quibble is that I don't like how important height is. The giants dominate in this game. Yao & Roy Hibbert just destroy me. I don't know if that's a me issue, or if that's a flaw in the game.

It's a flaw. I made my my player 7"5 and won MVP, defensive player of the year and Rookie of the year. I could barely dribble.

Game is still awesome though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

got this saturday and im not 100percent sure on the whole basketball scene and i dont know how to defend and lose everygame by 15-20points :( but its still an awesome game so well finished in every manner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I still never got around to getting this :pac: Now that I've a couple of months off I'll pick it up during the week though. €18.99 on Play.com now which is a very good price!

What's the online gameplay like?

Paully D wrote: »
    I still never got around to getting this :pac: Now that I've a couple of months off I'll pick it up during the week though. €18.99 on Play.com now which is a very good price!

What's the online gameplay like?
    the online is a massive improvement over previous iterations. Runs very well even why you are playing an American. Really can't complain as they've clearly put in a lot of work after the shambles that was 2k9 and to an extent 2k10 when they first came out with regards the online play.

Would be up for starting a fantasy draft league, see if we can get 8 players on here, it'd be a bit of fun but would have to be dedicated players who will finish their games. Anyone interested?

on xbox btw...

Sounds good. I'll try and pick this up tomorrow!

Bastid! Im in California till August, I defo would have been up for that league.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Is there a way to effectively deal with Lebron? I'm not in the habit of calling double teams - but I think I'm going to have to get used to it. Also, it would probably help if I switched from man-to-man, but I don't know whether it's 2-3 or 3-2 that I want.

I played online earlier and lost around 30-25, and the other team's scoring was ALL Lebron except for 5 points from other players at the free throw line. I don't think I properly stopped him inside once with the Bulls - just slowed him down a little bit by batting away a few alley-oop attempts.

I really don't think I'm destined to get this game :pac:

I was told in GameStop yesterday that they don't have it in stock and won't be getting it in unless some brings it in to sell second hand.

I'll try Xtravision tomorrow but other than that I'll have to get it online off Play.com, I hate the wait :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Also try TheHut or Sendit. I think I got mine from TheHut.com for less than €20. I'm addicted to the game, playing as My Player and currently in The Playoffs 2-2 against The Mavs.

kensutz wrote: »
    Also try TheHut or Sendit. I think I got mine from TheHut.com for less than €20. I'm addicted to the game, playing as My Player and currently in The Playoffs 2-2 against The Mavs.

Just ordered it off Play.com for €18.99. Very happy with that. Hopefully I'll receive it the middle of next week!

EDIT - Play.com emailed me to say they're awaiting stock (even though they had it ''in stock'' when I ordered :rolleyes:). Anyway, ordered it off ebay for the same price with a little bit extra for delivery €20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 DRose

It is impossible to lose with the Knicks. stoudemire and melo are unstoppable (kinda) and billups, fields and douglas cant miss from outside! :P

• Advertisement

Is anyone up for a few games on Xbox 360 when I get a week or so practice in?

Advertisement