Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA 2K11

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jayo180

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The game arrived yesterday and I am blown away by how amazing it looks, how great it's presented and how great it plays.

My defence needs some work but I am really happy with my purchase.

Where you get it from? Ordered mine off Zavvi, they supposed to have had it in stock but has not been sent, i dont think they even had it when they said they did, such a joke :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Jayo180

finally got it for the ps3! any tips on defense? need some work on it, cause at the moment it aint too good!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Jayo180 wrote: »
    finally got it for the ps3! any tips on defense? need some work on it, cause at the moment it aint too good!
    I pretty much only play online so don't apply this to offline. it's quite hard to get used to and obviously some players are impossible to stop. LT or L2(depending on console) is great for keeping locked on to people but I assume you know that. I like to give them space from outside (especially on their weaker players to try to lure them into taking a lot of 3s because they are quite difficult to hit consistently outside of the likes of Ray Allen etc. Always contest shots no matter what as even easy layups can be missed if you put the right pressure on.

I'd say the most important thing is just to predict where the guy with the ball is going to go and cut him of before he can get inside and help run down the clock. Don't under any circumstances allow superstar players to get on a hot streak as Kobe and Lebron will score 90% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

I've been playing My Player a lot recently and it's been fun and all but I don't like the fact that you really can't explore Free Agency in the offseason like you should be able to do. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Dizzya

Jayo180 wrote: »
    Where you get it from? Ordered mine off Zavvi, they supposed to have had it in stock but has not been sent, i dont think they even had it when they said they did, such a joke :mad:

I cancelled mine and went with Play.Com.

SO EXCITED! CAN'T WAIT TO GET IT! Anyone ever heard of Chris Smoove? Youtube commentator. Getting me super-pumped up for My Player mode

• Advertisement

=Dizzya;7088063! Anyone ever heard of Chris Smoove? Youtube commentator. Getting me super-pumped up for My Player mode

I'm sure you'll enjoy My Player mode. You can even act like a jerk in press conferences since there are 4 options on how to answer their questions. Professionalism, Arrogance, Loyalty, Indifference.:p

Sea Devils wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll enjoy My Player mode. You can even act like a jerk in press conferences since there are 4 options on how to answer their questions. Professionalism, Arrogance, Loyalty, Indifference.:p

Sweet. Sounds awesome! :D

Cannot wait, I mean, literally am going to be so so happy when it gets home.

How long did it take you to really get going and pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I watched a lot of Chris Smoove vids for nba 2k10 which made me get that. I only ever played my player mode, loved it but was well tough. I'm gonna pick this up at some point when I finished with ME2 and TDU 2. Can ye tell me if in my player, you still get called greedy for calling for 1 pass? or did they lighten up on that a bit?

Also, is there any street ball mode? Loved those NBA street games of 3 on 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 whiteboii

Paully D wrote: »
    Since NBA Elite has been scrapped, I'm sure basketball fans will have picked up NBA 2K11 instead.

I'm just wondering what people think of it?
    its pretty good but prob not the best game tho

whiteboii wrote: »
    its pretty good but prob not the best game tho

Its a great game if your a basketball fan TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 whiteboii

Its a great game if your a basketball fan TBH.
    ya i am but it can be improved still ok tho

whiteboii wrote: »
    ya i am but it can be improved still ok tho

What do you not like?

Passing could be improved I will admit that.

Dizzya wrote: »
    Sweet. Sounds awesome! :D

Cannot wait, I mean, literally am going to be so so happy when it gets home.

How long did it take you to really get going and pick it up?

It didn't take me that long to be honest. It helped that in the intro you can play the 1991 Finals game 1 so I got sucked into the gameplay straight away. .Like I said it's one of the few Basketball games that has no obvious weaknesses out of the box and this is coming from a guy who wasn't a huge fan of the previous NBA 2k games.

What do you not like?

Passing could be improved I will admit that.

The only problem I have with it is that don't like how the production's split between the stars and the role players. Right now I'm playing as the Lakers in association mode and Kobe is averaging 32PPG on 54% shooting but Derek Fisher is only getting 3PPG. I don't think that the CPU puts enough defensive attention on the stars, so they go off against single coverage while the role players don't get many shots.

One last little quibble is that I don't like how important height is. The giants dominate in this game. Yao & Roy Hibbert just destroy me. I don't know if that's a me issue, or if that's a flaw in the game.

Sea Devils wrote: »
    It didn't take me that long to be honest. It helped that in the intro you can play the 1991 Finals game 1 so I got sucked into the gameplay straight away. .Like I said it's one of the few Basketball games that has no obvious weaknesses out of the box and this is coming from a guy who wasn't a huge fan of the previous NBA 2k games.

The only problem I have with it is that don't like how the production's split between the stars and the role players. Right now I'm playing as the Lakers in association mode and Kobe is averaging 32PPG on 54% shooting but Derek Fisher is only getting 3PPG. I don't think that the CPU puts enough defensive attention on the stars, so they go off against single coverage while the role players don't get many shots.

One last little quibble is that I don't like how important height is. The giants dominate in this game. Yao & Roy Hibbert just destroy me. I don't know if that's a me issue, or if that's a flaw in the game.

Tbh, I've never been able to stop the giants. Yao is just a beast in most games. I hate him, but he's great to play with in Live 10

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Picked this up for €20 yesterday.

I'd never played any basketball game before and only recently started following NBA so I don't understand the whole thing.

Theres absolutely no help for beginners. You can't just throw on a quick match and start playing. Anyone got any tips on where I might go about starting to get better.

where did you get it? seems to be sold out in most shops!

sheehy83 wrote: »
    where did you get it? seems to be sold out in most shops!

http://www.play.com/Search.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0&searchstring=nba+2k11

It was in gamestop in Tralee at the weekend for €30.

18.99 euro on play with free delivery :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

sheehy83 wrote: »
    18.99 euro on play with free delivery :eek:

€17.43 on thehut with free shipping
    http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/ps3/nba-2k11/10208064.html

What! well class but I thought that was only free delivery in the UK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Picked this up for €20 yesterday.

I'd never played any basketball game before and only recently started following NBA so I don't understand the whole thing.

Theres absolutely no help for beginners. You can't just throw on a quick match and start playing. Anyone got any tips on where I might go about starting to get better.

Just play games and rookie and play pick up games or start a shootaround, once you think your ready go to "My Player" that game mode is class.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

I'm absolutely terrible at at 2k11 - went back to playing it during the week with the PSN down, must have played about 6 hours and only won once against the computer. But I'm going to stick with it, because each game things are a little bit clearer - where I'm supposed to position the player, when to shoot and when I'm just throwing chances away.

It'll try your patience at first because you don't know what you're doing wrong - but there are a few handy things. The practice mode only covers the absolute basics - but they are absolutely essential. There's a time and a place to shoot holding L2 to shoot the ball off the backboard which will effect your chances if you're marked by a taller player. Whereas the run button often isn't your friend - you'll move into trouble, be too direct with your dribbling. Isomotion has pros and cons depending on the situation.

Try spending time in the scrimmage practice mode (I think that's the one anyway), in the 2v2 you'll get to work on basic short range offense (faking dribbles, faking shots, looking for openings, and muscling for position) and the timing on basic blocking, picking up rebounds.

I'd advise you to start from the back. Stopping the other team from scoring is more important than getting every shot in.

From playing the game you will start to realise things like defensive positioning has to come first before you can intercept passes - and even then there's a learning curve on timing your moves into passing lanes. Very quickly you'll be getting blocks on short range jumpshots (hopefully without leaving an open receiver lurking). Using the coaches playbook - which highlights areas of the court when you're on attack - will let you know where you can go so that you will be moving with the other players on your team, and you might be more likely to get back if/when the attack breaks down.

I've gotta say though, that the game does play through with relatively little bs. When you start out your opponent might see your weaknesses and you're left wondering how they're throwing in lots of three point shots, or making you look a fool with dunks - but a point does come where you'll make little changes: quick adjustments to your team's sliders, or when you see your opponent try the same pass a few times and you intercept and win possession, or when you just stand off the ball carrier just to make his shot hard enough so you pick up easy rebounds.

It is really satisfying when your choices make the difference, and it gets less frustrating after your mistakes cost you because you know how you can adjust to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Been a fan of the NBA since I was 5 or 6, but kind of lost interest during my teenage years, the last basketball game I bought was NBA Live 08, and it was awful so I stopped the basketball games there. I knew how highly thought of the NBA 2K series was, but never really tried to get in to it. That is untill last week when I saw it was €18.99 delivered on Play.com

Holy sh!t. This game is incredible. Never seen such realism in a sports game. It really is the business. Im a Celtics fan so I guess im lucky to be playing with a great team and having Ray Allen bail me out with 3's when im struggling, but I am still pretty awful, definately getting better though. When I started out I wasnt calling plays, and the shot stick takes some getting used to, so really I was relying on defence and fastbreaks, but since ive gotten to know some plays I can really dictate the game with Rondo. As I get more used to the game it gets more and more enjoyable. My shooting is getting more consistent, and im using the Iso moves to better effect.

My Player mode is so freaking good. Started out as an SF and got drafted to the Magic. My player is like a 48 overall and is woeful at everything, except middle shooting and the occasion 3. Still loving the mode though. Makes me cringe at the thought of playing FIFA's Be A Pro mode.

Im absolutely hooked. What a great game. Delighted there is a thread here because I thought the one in the Xbox section was the only one and its dead in there. Strange that nowhere in Ireland really stocks this, but at under €20 online its a must buy imo. Almost forgot, my favourite thing, the sense of immersion brought about by the commentary and atmosphere, I dont like comparing it to FIFA being a different sport, but it is in a different league to FIFA in terms of feeling. Earlier the commentator was babbling about some random stat when out of nowhere I hit KG with a huge alley-oop, and both commentators just shouted "OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH!!!" and started laughing... Brilliant. In FIFA I get the same reaction going 6-0 up at home to Wigan as I would if I scored in the 89th min in to go 1-0 in the Nou Camp, it does my head in. NBA 2K11 is seriously impressive in that department.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

It's possibly the best sports game i have ever played and it boggles the mind just how good it is. I wouldn't be a fan of basketball at really and i just loved the challenge of it and the overall look/feel of it.

I love the attacking AI from the CPU, if you overspam the slap button he ll just go around you and probably get some points. Likewise if your over reliant on the run feature the AI will try to cut back in to get into the space.

The only thing i dislike about it is that the passing can be a bit dodgy at times. Other then that it's my favourite sports game of all time. Nothing can beat a buzz beater to win the game for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

How is everyone getting on in the "My Player" mode?

I'm 30 games in and got drafted by the Wizards in the 2nd round 12th pick, I'm a 6'7 shooting guard and we have a record of 15-15, averaging 20 points a game but dropped a couple of 40 point games lately, I've been focusing on getting my shooting stats up and my shooting stats are:

Close Shot - 75
    Mid Shot - 80
    3pt - 82
    Free Throw - 81

I've an overall of 50 and I became a starter after around 10 games, then the wizards brought in Tracy McGrady (my favourite player) and I got demoted to coming off the bench. I got player of the week last week and my aim for this season is make the playoffs and win rookie of the year.

I am suprised at how strong a team the wizards have in the game now the starting line up is:

John Wall - No.1 draft pick last year
    Tracy McGrady - Was a great player but injuries hampered him
    Rashard Lewis - Good 3pt shooter
    Andray Blatche - Great shooter for a big man
    Javale McGee - Runner up in the 2011 dunk contest even though he is a 7 footer

Got the red rings over the weekend so haven't been able to perfect my 2k11 skills.

Friggin Microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Great Game My player mode is very tough though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i ordered this from play during the weekend. looking forward to playing it as i love the nba. every thing i read about it seems positive

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

2smiggy wrote: »
    i ordered this from play during the weekend. looking forward to playing it as i love the nba. every thing i read about it seems positive

You'll love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

The only upside to the PSN downtime for me has been revisiting this game. I never doubted it was good, but always thought I'd never get the most out of it. But the learning curve is helped greatly by the coach's playbook. And while games do tend to take a long time to play through, the AI does a pretty good job of working out your style of play. I don't think it's just my imagination that CPU opponents are changing defensive patterns in the fourth quarters.

But far more than the all - the more I play this, the more impressed I am by the commentary. It's always seemed good, but I just used to go into exhibition modes, and lose, and hear the same comments made all the time. Now I'm playing through the season, and winning more, and the little touches like how the commentators will describe your last match in one line as the game begins all really add to the game. Not just the main commentators either, the half-time guy who gives you the head-to-head comparisons doesn't just report bald stats to do with your players, he makes comments on whether you're shooting inside or outside and sounds like he's describing gameplay, not just fleshing out numbers.

Getting a grip of this game has been great, especially when I'm going through cold turkey from lack of headshots.

Advertisement