Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 6/6/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RICHIE-RICH

4 stars (good)
    Cabaal wrote: »
    Rain I don't mind, even if its warm I hope to finish before the temps really get high but dear god I'm so sick of wind. Its not fun running and its certainly not fun cycling in it!

I'm trying to work out the average pace I need in order to reach my "rough" targeted time, there's a website I've seen that allows people to work out anyone know the URL?

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

4 stars (good)

Thats the link, must bookmark it this time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Low to mid 20s and rain would be horrendous!

I kinda like mid 20's ;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I kinda like mid 20's ;)

We know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

3 stars (average)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    I kinda like mid 20's ;)

That's late 20's!!!

• Advertisement

mrslow wrote: »
    That's late 20's!!!

Oh you did NOT just go there. :pac:

(I believe we had this discussion already on my old log)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

what's the confusion? :confused:
    21, 22, 23 - early 20's
    24, 25, 26 - mid 20's
    27, 28, 29 - late 20's

People trying to insist that 26 is late 20s. Feck off. :pac:

3 stars (average)

25 is mid 20's everything else is either early or late, build a bridge and get over it! :cool:

25 is mid 20's everything else is either early or late, build a bridge and get over it! :cool:

I'll accept that I'm in my late 20s when I turn 27. Until then... no way. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Damn, I thought you were 27 :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    Damn, I though you were 27 :pac:

Next month :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

4 stars (good)
    Here lads, what are you all discussing here? :confused:

Is it the temperature for Cork?

I'd be hoping for low 20's at most.

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Here lads, what are you all discussing here? :confused:

Is it the temperature for Cork?

I'd be hoping for low 20's at most.

Back on track....

Weather updates today:
    Either cloudy, windy 15 degrees,
    or,
    sunny with patches of cloud, 17 degrees

4 stars (good)
    Weather updates today:
    Either cloudy, windy 15 degrees,
    or,
    sunny with patches of cloud, 17 degrees

That looks fine as long as it's not too windy.

As an aside, I'll be pacing 4 hours at the marathon and wearing a boards top. So any boardsies following the group, make sure to come up and say hello.

4 stars (good)
    menoscemo wrote: »
    That looks fine as long as it's not too windy.

As an aside, I'll be pacing 4 hours at the marathon and wearing a boards top. So any boardsies following the group, make sure to come up and say hello.

Great - will see you there. I hope to remain a few steps ahead of you all day!
    What is your pacing plan?
    Last year the 4 hour pacers went off a bit quick, banking time (8:30s instead of 9:00). I think it hammered a good few people.

4 stars (good)
    Last year the 4 hour pacers went off a bit quick, banking time (8:30s instead of 9:00). I think it hammered a good few people.

There'll be no time banking. We'll be running steady 9 min/miles by the garmin and making sure we're on track with the mile markers/Pace band. The plan will be to be about 30 seconds up at half way and hopefully finishing just over 3'59. Obviously there will be a few miles slightly faster than others due to slopes/winds but nothing serious. I paced 4hrs in Limerick last month and I think the fastest mile was 8'50 and the slowest 9'15 so a repeat of that would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    First i heard of this to be honest. It would be highly irregular for pacers organised here to do that.

4 stars (good)
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    First i heard of this to be honest. It would be highly irregular for pacers organised here to do that.

Yes I believe that the first few miles were a little bit fast. Someone I know told me. The pacer said to them that they were a tad fast at the start, but not to worry, the time was banked. They stuck to the 4 hour pace after mile 4 or 5. AFAIK they finished bang on schedule, so you can't argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tetney

I ran with the 4.00 hour pacers last year and thought they did a great job. First few miles were a bit faster than i thought they would be. 8.40 for mile 1 from memory but they reassured us they wanted a few minutes in the bank (i guess due to the winds ahead on the walkway). To be honest being my first marathon it maid it much easier knowing i was a few minutes ahead of where i wanted to be and i used that as a +ve any time -ve thoughts tried to creep in. Finished in 3.56 having been pushed on by the leading pacer at the 25 mile mark as he fell back to make sure all that had ran with them for the day made the 4hr target. They did a great job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Does anybody run/jog with a camelbak(Joking aside!)? I've done a few Maratons and am yet to see somebody else use one? They are very handy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Does anybody run/jog with a camelbak(Joking aside!)? I've done a few Maratons and am yet to see somebody else use one? They are very handy!

Why lug that around when there are water stations every few miles? (Long training runs perhaps.)

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Why lug that around when there are water stations every few miles? (Long training runs perhaps.)

They're not exactly a ton weight, mine is only a 1.5 ltr, they're very comfortable plus you can put whatever liquids you want into them .i.e water/sports tonics etc... I normally run about 80km a week so I'd be lost without it. It's my first time doing the Cork marathon so it'll be interesting to see if anyone else uses one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Not sure about camelback but I'm sure there will be plenty of camel toe on view:D

3 stars (average)
    sideswipe wrote: »
    Not sure about camelback but I'm sure there will be plenty on camel toe on view:D

That and the big cousin - Moose Knuckle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

4 stars (good)
    ^^^
    Classy....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

4 stars (good)
    That and the big cousin - Moose Knuckle!
    Never heard this one before, its going in the act:D

Not sure about camelback but I'm sure there will be plenty on camel toe on view:D

Your mother would be so proud of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

3 stars (average)
    Your mother would be so proud of you.
    Wow, maybe you should mix a little diluted sense of humor into the water for your pack:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Wow, maybe you should mix a little diluted sense of humor into the water for your pack:rolleyes:

Because we all have Mothers, Sisters, Aunts, Girlfriends, Wifes etc... and I found your comment to be very rude and offensive to women. There was nothing funny about that comment.

Advertisement