Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University Fees

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Nothing about those who commute 30 miles to college paying €50 p/week for a bus and arise at 7.45am and don't home till 6.15pm. I've to do this everyday, and never go out as it pretty much kills any realistic social life.

Now I've to pay €2,500 for the priveledge each year. I agree others seem to be able to swan around and piss away their time, but there's plenty of students who aren't like that but who will be negatively affected by fee increases.

We don't all live in lush accomodation in D4 college bliss.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ILA wrote: »
    Nothing about those who commute 30 miles to college paying €50 p/week for a bus and arise at 7.45am and don't home till 6.15pm. I've to do this everyday, and never go out as it pretty much kills any realistic social life.

i do this also, i'm half the distance away but need to leave at these times and dont get home til similar times and work 2 or 3 nights a week from 10 pm til 4 am building and taking down stages, social life is grand tbh
    Now I've to pay €2,500 for the priveledge each year. I agree others seem to be able to swan around and piss away their time, but there's plenty of students who aren't like that but who will be negatively affected by fee increases.

We don't all live in lush accomodation in D4 college bliss.

it is a privilege, what makes you think your entitled to free education? because we have had it here for a few years? no, it was a perk not a right, country needs to cut spending, and free education is a discretionary expenditure that can be... and will be done away with, hopefully ff's parting gift if they have any balls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I think the govt have this backward, there should have been fees during the good times,you know, when there were lots of jobs for students. But there arent any jobs, how the hell am I supposed to pay???

i do this also, i'm half the distance away but need to leave at these times and dont get home til similar times and work 2 or 3 nights a week from 10 pm til 4 am building and taking down stages, social life is grand tbh

it is a privilege, what makes you think your entitled to free education? because we have had it here for a few years? no, it was a perk not a right, country needs to cut spending, and free education is a discretionary expenditure that can be... and will be done away with, hopefully ff's parting gift if they have any balls

I'm not asking for free education, but reasonably priced education. If fees were increased to 3,000 (not counting tuition fees which some students pay) and it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis I wouldn't bother to be honest, I'd rather just sign on if it's going to become the case where I'm openly subsidizing worse wasters. But that's just my personal ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

... and it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis I wouldn't bother to be honest, I'd rather just sign on if it's going to become the case where I'm openly subsidizing worse wasters. But that's just my personal ethos.

Welcome to the world of the average low paid worker.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of the average low paid worker.

You should have went to college, Mr. Low Paid Worker. :pac:

You should have went to college, Mr. Low Paid Worker. :pac:

I did. :pac:.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'm not asking for free education, but reasonably priced education. If fees were increased to 3,000 (not counting tuition fees which some students pay) and it comes down to a cost/benefit analysis I wouldn't bother to be honest, I'd rather just sign on if it's going to become the case where I'm openly subsidizing worse wasters. But that's just my personal ethos.

i can manage to pay 5k a year, live at home but support myself socially, never taken a government handout, never will, i have no problem finding work, those that say they cant find a job are clearly above manual labour or difficult hours. if you think your education is not worth even double that amount a year... you must either be doing a degree in shelf packing or intend on working for free for your life, seriously, you dont value your education even at 3k a year???

I did. :pac:.
    I rest my case.

I rest my case.

a degree doesnt give you weath... it merely opens the door - melekalikimaka 2010 A.D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

i can manage to pay 5k a year, live at home but support myself socially, never taken a government handout, never will, i have no problem finding work, those that say they cant find a job are clearly above manual labour or difficult hours. if you think your education is not worth even double that amount a year... you must either be doing a degree in shelf packing or intend on working for free for your life, seriously, you dont value your education even at 3k a year???
    Give us a job then.

I rest my case.

Ah now, I'm working in a particular area by choice, as melekalikimaka pointed out above a degree (or whatever) doesn't guarantee good paying jobs. In many areas you will still have to accept crap paying jobs in order to get a professional qualification.

Doesn't make it any easier to put up with when I could earn just as much through JSB-etc, and other benefits.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Give us a job then.

do you have a degree :p

I think I could barely stomach 3k a year, even at that my ass would be in constant pain while that little voice in my head would be screaming "Are you serious?! I'm paying for this ****!".

Personally I find college a torturous experience, slightly better than school. Its not so much from the academic side, but just the sheer strain of the day-to-day.

I think I could barely stomach 3k a year, even at that my ass would be in constant pain while that little voice in my head would be screaming "Are you serious?! I'm paying for this ****!".

Personally I find college a torturous experience, slightly better than school. Its not so much from the academic side, but just the sheer strain of the day-to-day.

ah well i can agree there, after 7 years... the grass is looking damn green on the other side...

What college is this?:pac:

a degree doesnt give you weath... it merely opens the door - melekalikimaka 2010 A.D.
    The door to what in the current climate?

No degree leads to choice of: (a) dole, (b) minimum wage job, (c) emigration

Degree leads to choice of: (a) dole, (b) minimum wage job, (c) emigration

What college is this?:pac:

Institute of Technology, Carlow. Don't go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

not asking to be specific, but i have never heard of such an intense arts course, would you mind telling us even the subjects?

Im doing history and linguistics and I'm in my final year. History has a huge amount of reading involved, which takes up alot of my spare time.

Dont get me wrong, if I wanted to I could work another day or two, but I know that my degree is more important then making an extra 50e a week. I'd rather put all the time I have into getting a good result, then regret it at the end.

I was working 4 nights a week during 2nd year, so please Tar.Aldrion, don't be so patronising.

Also, I'd like to point out that very few of my friends would work more then once a week, in fact, I don't know any that do. I worked my fair share through 1st and 2nd year, like I said, 4 nights a week. So I don't think you can laugh and act all high and mighty when I say i'm trying to focus on my course in my final year.

If I came on here saying that I did sweet f*ck all college work, drank 3 times a week, didn't have a job, you'd all be up in arms. Now that I'm saying the opposite, you still feel the need to be rude about my course. Can't win

The door to what in the current climate?

No degree leads to choice of: (a) dole, (b) minimum wage job, (c) emigration

Degree leads to choice of: (a) dole, (b) minimum wage job, (c) emigration

depends how much you want a job, there are jobs out there, for graduates, its just not a walk in with a crappy 2.2 anymore... markets havent closed up, merely shrunk and become more competitive. and its not going to last forever... its not the first, nor will it be the last recession

• Advertisement

depends how much you want a job, there are jobs out there, for graduates, its just not a walk in with a crappy 2.2 anymore... markets havent closed up, merely shrunk and become more competitive. and its not going to last forever... its not the first, nor will it be the last recession
    For Griffith College grads from the right areas I'm sure there are plenty of job opportunities out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Free fees should never have been introduced in the first place. End of

I'm studying Photography, after engineering, i'm concerned bout job prospects, but confident i will get a job, london may be an option, but this is off the point
    Interesting course choices.

Not taking a dig, but it sounds like your looking towards:
    ILA wrote:
    (c) emigration

Interesting course choices.

Not taking a dig, but it sounds like your looking towards:

but thats not really relevant to this debate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Lots of people can't live at home and attend college. I don't see any problem with students not having a part-time job during the academic year, if they're in class 9-5 and have reports and projects on top of that, then they might be better of not having a part-time job and concentrating on college work.

flash1080 wrote: »
    Lots of people can't live at home and attend college. I don't see any problem with students not having a part-time job during the academic year, if they're in class 9-5 and have reports and projects on top of that, then they might be better of not having a part-time job and concentrating on college work.

Well that's my own choice to it. If someone expects me to struggle to find a part-time job, then actually work after I get home at 6.15pm or at the weekends I'd probably tell them to £$%@ off.

It's either all college for me or all work for me, none of this juggling responsibilities lark.

flash1080 wrote: »

and you think this doesnt apply to every other kid in similar situations in other countries where fees arent free. if fees come back, loan systems will inevitably be introduced to accommodate these issues.

and you think this doesnt apply to every other kid in similar situations in other countries where fees arent free. if fees come back, loan systems will inevitably be introduced to accommodate these issues.
    Sorry, I am absolutely opposed to debt or any type of loan which would require interest payment.

How about someone just give me a job flipping burgers or packing shelves with a 10 year employment contract? The least amount of responsibility please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭The After Hours Troll

If the budget isn't passed or the government is voted out, then will this actually happen?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I am absolutely opposed to debt or any type of loan which would require interest payment.

what makes you feel education should be free?

Advertisement