Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

god come on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

bluewolf wrote: »
    Sounds more like the usual advertising "create a fear then leap to fill it" to me
    That said, my own one isn't too far off so I can't say much :pac:

But still, the "i'm a horrible person" gets very sad to hear

There's nothing created about it. If you look around the world it's probably the most real thing you'll encounter. In appearances, human experience is often made out to be much more superficial than the very very real things that go on in peoples lives.

As for it being sad to hear. In Christian terms, I believe that I've been forgiven by Christ and I've the opportunity to start afresh in a new living relationship with God my Father. This was new, and it still is as exciting as it was then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Seaneh wrote: »
    You're an atheist who is biggoted to other atheists.
    Biggotty McBiggotson.

p.s. get a haircut.

I'm near bald.:(

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

storm2811 wrote: »
    I'm near bald.:(

Thought you were Kris because of the myspace link and then noticed you were a burd on the facebook link!

Sorry I confused ya for the hairy fella!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Some people believe that God exists. This does not make them bad people.

Some people believe that God does not exist. This does not make them bad people.

Mocking either side can be funny at times, but only when the opposing side is being a dick and you are not.

If you can't accept an opposing point of view, then you're a dick, and you need to re-evaluate your life. Slagging off people with opposing views on an internet forum is really sad.

Balls. I'm posting this at half ten. I'm not going to get post of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Thought you were Kris because of the myspace link and then noticed you were a burd on the facebook link!

:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

the-dude wrote: »
    iv convinced afew

I'm sure you have convinced afew (or a few as us less intelligent people say). How could anyone not be convinced by such a rational and well constructed argument as the one you have put forth? I'm certainly going to have to rethink my entire belief system after reading your well written points. Thank you for enlightening me. I bow down to your superior intellect.

bluewolf wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad:

Build a bridge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Jakkass wrote: »
    There's nothing created about it. If you look around the world it's probably the most real thing you'll encounter. In appearances, human experience is often made out to be much more superficial than the very very real things that go on in peoples lives.

As for it being sad to hear. In Christian terms, I believe that I've been forgiven by Christ and I've the opportunity to start afresh in a new living relationship with God my Father. This was new, and it still is as exciting as it was then.
    is God a father and mother or just a father?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I've seen enough of your posts and their style to form an opinion, a belief if you will, don't judge me or my beliefs!
    So, in essence, according to you I am an idiot? Judging people you do not know and know nothing of and then somehow coming to the conclusion that they are of lesser intelligence than you. You sound like a lovely person.
    I'm an absolute bollocks because I want to be, atheism didn't force me to be!
    Of that we're certain.
    I'm not the one describing large demographics of people as being 'arrogant' and then lepping onto the high horse once I get some flak back. So far I have expressed an opinion on your opinion only and expressed one of my own.
    I'm not the one describing large demographics of people as being 'idiotic' and then lepping (sic) onto the high horse armed with petty insults once I get some flak back.

• Advertisement

Haha! No I'm his sister!
    Do you know him?

Oh anyway..on topic, yeah religion sucks, atheism sucks, etc etc.

is God a father and mother or just a father?

Gender is irrelevant. I don't believe God is confined by gender, but in my relationship with Him, I would see Him as my heavenly Father.

Gender is irrelevant. I don't believe God is confined by gender, but in my relationship with Him, I would see Him as my heavenly Father.

As a role model/supporter like?

As a role model/supporter like?

Yeah. I happen to get a more Fatherly vibe from God.

Haha! No I'm his sister!
    Do you know him?

Just from the hippidyhops.

Yeah. I happen to get a more Fatherly vibe from God.

I think that's actually nice.
    I know a lot of people of faith do think of God as someone they can turn to and lean on and they actually get criticised for it.
    Just from the hippidyhops.

Ahh, I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

:rolleyes:

Edit: You don't believe in something that can't be proven either way. How is that any different to someone who does believe?

Do you believe in goblins and fairies? And if not, can you prove they don't exist?

And if not, do you think your non belief in goblins and fairies is no different (say in terms of rationality) to a belief that there are fairies at the bottom of your garden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

k_mac wrote: »
    You're offended and pissed off at people believing in God? How does their belief affect you?

You can't be serious.But you really are.I don't think there's anything I could tell you that you would get.Do you really believe that your religion bears no effect on others?Before I go any further, what sect to you represent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You can't be serious.But you really are.I don't think there's anything I could tell you that you would get.Do you really believe that your religion bears no effect on others?Before I go any further, what sect to you represent?
    Ok, go ahead and tell us how Judaism (As a random example) adversely affects your life.

Deary me :D
    To paraphrase Winston Churchill..................................

"I may be drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober,and you shall still be illiterate":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Haha! No I'm his sister!
    Do you know him?

K-Death is your brother? Do me a favor and tell him he's FÚCKING AWESOME!! I watched that battle with the fella from Palmerstown and he ripped him to bits! What part of Leitrim are yas from? I'm in Manor. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

perhaps the gods of the boards( who may or may not exist) would lock this. its not really going anywhere.

Ok, go ahead and tell us how Judaism (As a random example) adversely affects your life.

Judaism is the foundation for Christian belief.Christians have murdered, raped,tortured and thieved their way through history.The RCC is a Christian church.If your family escaped these swine unscathed, good for you.Mine wasn't so lucky and they were not alone.Anyone who aided this wicked organisation in any way is complicit in it's crimes.

Have you ever eaten Matzo balls?

Judaism other than the above, doesn't affect me that much.I'm part Jewish btw but my family have been secular since arriving in Ireland.Anyway it's less likely to affect me adversely as we still have ties to what remains of the Irish Jewish community.It is a load of tripe though.Absolute nonsense and a waste of time.

My main axe to grind is with the Christian churches.And above all the RCC.What utter filth that organisation is.How could anyone subscribe to an organisation that protects a monster like Oliver O Grady?You would have to have lost touch with all decency and reality to endorse these scumbags.But every Sunday, in go the self righteous bullies to their marble altars, statues, gold and fancy robes.They can't get enough of it.

This is a very mild trailer for a documentary called 'Deliver us from Evil'

Watch the full doc,and make sure you watch that girls father break down.That is a tortured man.Religion is torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

If you're part Jewish and secular you will be just fine..It's nice to know the target though! That's new.

Don't go offering the Matzo balls about.....horrendous gear! (''.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

A friend of mine whom I went to school with also comes up with a similar notion that I'm being disingenuous and dishonest by attributing my apparent "successes" to God.

I don't think you are being disingenuous or dishonest at all. I have no idea how you got that from what I said to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Another religion thread on the AH.

Why can't people take this to the section it belongs in? The religion section on the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I was raised catholic but I don't follow any particular religion at the moment. I understand you have a problem with the institution of the RCC but how does me believing in a god affect you in any way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

k_mac wrote: »
    I was raised catholic but I don't follow any particular religion at the moment. I understand you have a problem with the institution of the RCC but how does me believing in a god affect you in any way?
    Do you think religion is just quietly sitting in the corner minding it's own business or something?

People's belief in God in general effects the whole world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Do you think religion is just quietly sitting in the corner minding it's own business or something?

People's belief in God in general effects the whole world.

How so? You can't really make a statement like that without backing it up with some sort of example. And I mean the general belief in God, not specific beliefs in certain religions. How does the general belief in God held by others affect you personally?

• Advertisement

Before MagicMarker goes on an absolute bender as he tends to do criticising how people have twisted religion. I'd like to ask you to remember the huge proportion of good that has happened because of Christianity in the world, from big things such as inspiring the nature of our justice system, to the Salvation Army, and numerous other Christian groups working with the homeless and marginalised in society. The few things that Christians have twisted God's word on are minimal in comparison to what God does through the Christian church (N.B - As a whole, not just Catholicism)

Advertisement