Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

god come on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

no i do not believe that fairys should be taught in schools and i can see where this is going. yo're going to ask why and then i'm going to say because there's no hard evidence and then you take that as a victory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

f0ggy92 wrote: »
    no i do not believe that fairys should be taught in schools and i can see where this is going. yo're going to ask why and then i'm going to say because there's no hard evidence and then you take that as a victory.
    Well that depends, do you think the existence of God and all that entails should be taught in school as fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

It all had to start somewhere :)

no i don't as there's no evidence. How religion is taught in schools as a study of all world's religions and morality is how it should be taught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭PanchoVilla

Just ignore them, atheists are usually people with a superiority complex. They're only atheists so they can mock the vast majority of other people. Either that or they're atheists because they think it's cool and rebellious. I was an atheist when I was a teenager because I thought it was cool but then I grew up and realized being absolutely sure there is no god was just as ridiculous as being absolutely sure there is one.

• Advertisement

no i don't as there's no evidence. How religion is taught in schools as a study of all world's religions and morality is how it should be taught.
    I think you'll find most atheists agree with you here, except maybe the morality part. :D

what do atheists not believe in morals? :D

Just ignore them, atheists are usually people with a superiority complex. They're only atheists so they can mock the vast majority of other people. Either that or they're atheists because they think it's cool and rebellious. I was an atheist when I was a teenager because I thought it was cool but then I grew up and realized being absolutely sure there is no god was just as ridiculous as being absolutely sure there is one.
    Hey, just because you were an atheist because you thought it was cool doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Believe it or not, I'm an atheist because I don't believe in God, not because it's the flavour of the month.

Hey, just because you were an atheist because you thought it was cool doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Believe it or not, I'm an atheist because I don't believe in God, not because it's the flavour of the month.
    :rolleyes:

Edit: You don't believe in something that can't be proven either way. How is that any different to someone who does believe?

:rolleyes:
    Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

No they're not.:confused:

I don't see how this thread is still going, there's been at least 3 similar ones in the last month, doesn't everyone get tired of arguing the same things over and over?

If people just believed what they believed and let other people do the same then the world would be a much more peaceful place. Providing of course the internet also collapsed at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

gurramok wrote: »
    Its quite funny that the posters who objected to me questioning the religious stance of hospitals in the other thread are also found to be in this thread arguing for religion despite then denying it! :D

Not arguing for religion. Arguing for religious tolerance. I myself am an agnostic but I think people should believe what they want to believe without fear.
    The toys are firmly out of your pram aren't they?

You said that, like God, you're open to the possibility of fairies existing. So I asked you a fairly simple question in fairness, and you label me a troll and a bully while ignoring the question.

So, like God, should we teach children that fairies exist? Or do you find that notion incomprehensibly stupid?

If you don't think we should teach children that fairies exist, can you tell me why?

Have you never heard of the tooth fairy? Or Santa Clause? Should we ban their use? Fairies and never never land and the like use childrens imaginations and help them learn right from wrong. When they are older eligion takes over and expands on the concepts of right and wrong. They are useful tools, even if they are often misused.

storm2811 wrote: »
    No they're not.:confused:

I don't see how this thread is still going, there's been at least 3 similar ones in the last month, doesn't everyone get tired of arguing the same things over and over?

My point is that being absolutely sure about something isn't good. You should always leave the door open to alternative possibilities. I do believe there is something greater than us but I don't know what it is so believing in anything as an absolute is pointless. Always be open to the possibility that you might be wrong about something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

My point is that being absolutely sure about something isn't good. You should always leave the door open to alternative possibilities. I do believe there is something greater than us but I don't know what it is so believing in anything as an absolute is pointless. Always be open to the possibility that you might be wrong about something.

I am but I just don't get where you're getting this superiority complex idea from.

k_mac wrote: »
    Have you never heard of the tooth fairy? Or Santa Clause? Should we ban their use? Fairies and never never land and the like use childrens imaginations and help them learn right from wrong. When they are older eligion takes over and expands on the concepts of right and wrong. They are useful tools, even if they are often misused.

Seriously? Santa and the tooth fairy?

I'd rather not use religion as the basis for right and wrong thank you very much.

I am but I just don't get where you're getting this superiority complex idea from.

Go check out the Atheist & Agnostic forum. They mock anyone who has a belief different to their own. It's a horrible place to try having a conversation about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I'd rather not use religion as the basis for right and wrong thank you very much.

You can't be serious man. Without religion you would have people eating shellfish and bacon left right and centre. Not to mention wearing mixed fabric clothes, having sex with each other and driving on Saturdays. It'd be crazy, total anarchy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Go check out the Atheist & Agnostic forum. They mock anyone who has a belief different to their own. It's a horrible place to try having a conversation about anything.

Does everyone on that forum mock anyone that has a different belief to theirs? Or just some people? How is that any different to the Christianity, Motoring, Boxing, Musical Instrument or After Hours forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I think the question he meant to ask is name an atheist who has done these kind of things in the name of atheism.

Of course no one denies atheists have done bad things.

When you are an avowed Atheist who murders religious people in order to stamp out religion, then you are doing it in the name of Atheism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Dudess wrote: »
    You know what I think? A lot of atheists are really arrogant, whereas I'm really right-on and accepting of everyone's belief systems - just not those of atheists, because they're really arrogant. I mean, you know that guy Richard Dawkins - he's really arrogant. Etc.

Dawkins is a ****ing cockend tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I you'd care to post in the motors forum and claim to believe your car was built by a fairy in 6 days, from parts found in earlier models slightly revised; we would be interested to see if the replies were really all that different to those on A&A.

When you are an avowed Atheist who murders religious people in order to stamp out religion, then you are doing it in the name of Atheism.
    They did what they did because they had their own messed up and evil ideologies, and religion had too much power that stood in the way of those ideologies.

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in a deity, nothing more, nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,231 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

the-dude wrote: »
    obviousely im drunk but jesus the amount of people that beleive in god is staggering to me. I have been arguing all night and iv convinced afew but so many are so dumb because they were brought up this way,to beleive.Im down the country and id say 80% beleive this ****.sure we are at nothing finna fail voting god loving idiots.

Firstly, you post drunk.
    Secondly, you post in bearly comprenhensible English. Very sophisticted.
    Thirdly, you use "God" in the thread title. Slightly conntradictory.
    Fourthly, you call yourself "the dude". That's just sacrilidge.

Fail. Multiple times.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Firstly, you post drunk.
    Secondly, you post in bearly comprenhensible English. Very sophisticted.
    Thirdly, you use "God" in the thread title. Slightly conntradictory.
    Fourthly, you call yourself "the dude". That's just sacrilidge.

Fail. Multiple times.
    Deary me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

MagicMarker: I've read Hitchens on it and watched others such as Bill Maher speak about it in his "Religulous" but overall it is unconvincing. Communism was an atheistic movement, which sought to eradicate religion as it was an impediment to said atheistic movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Don't you ever notice the atheists who put a "All religions are stupid hurr durr" quote in their signature? That's not counting prominent atheists like Dawkins and the like. Arrogance and an aura of smug superiority like no other.

Jakkass wrote: »
    MagicMarker: I've read Hitchens on it and watched others such as Bill Maher speak about it in his "Religulous" but overall it is unconvincing. Communism was an atheistic movement, which sought to eradicate religion as it was an impediment to said atheistic movement.
    How is communism an atheist movement when being an atheist isn't a prerequisite for being a communist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Don't you ever notice the atheists who put a "All religions are stupid hurr durr" quote in their signature? That's not counting prominent atheists like Dawkins and the like. Arrogance and an aura of smug superiority like no other.

Well your beliefs are stupid, what do you expect? Your ideas and their quality are a direct reflection on you.

If people are coming across as arrogant, its probably because the abuse rules are forcing them to respond to you in a manner other than 'you are an idiot' while sufficiently getting their message across.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

How is communism an atheist movement when being an atheist isn't a prerequisite for being a communist?

In the vast majority of communist states, eradicating religion was seen as a prerequisite for imposing communism on a country. Look at North Korea, China, Cambodia amongst numerous other examples. The history of the 20th century tells you all you need to know about it.

State atheism was a key and necessary component in Communist systems in practice.

Edit: As a teenager, I loved leftist politics. However, as time went on I decided to be a Christian. I found the further left I went, the more incompatible it was becoming with Christianity, or the more I encountered people who were hostile to Christianity.

Advertisement