Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuxnet article

Options
  • 12-07-2011 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum...so if mods want to move it feel free.
    I gonna post a link to a really cool article regarding what most people think of as a specific security vulnerability to do with Siemens and Iran.
    The fact is that this is a really well written article and deals a lot with a topic not often seen in virus/malware stories....that is the human interaction with tracking down the vulnerability.
    This is a LONG article but is one of the best of its type I have ever seen...it almost reads like a novel.
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/07/how-digital-detectives-deciphered-stuxnet/all/1
    Stick with it to the end cause it is pretty cool...and the fact that it involves an irish man..Liam o murchu is interesting in itself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Any idea in which issue Of Wired this appeared, is it the latest one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Well that article was quality

thanks OP

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭T0mmyM

Hard to believe it's been a year already.

Cheers for posting the article. Great read!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Just about 1/4 way through and it's all very interesting.

Thanks for the post

EDIT: I want this to be a movie!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

The_Thing wrote: »
    Any idea in which issue Of Wired this appeared, is it the latest one?

july 11, 2011

One of the most interesting non-code specific articles I have read in a while.There is a heavy focus on the humans involved and their motivations...as opposed to the usual ....it used this .dll to exploit this loophole for this win!
    4 zero day exploits in a non-standard os ,with the goal of having a material effect on an industrial process at a specific set of tech at a specific local? All achieved through the clever manipulation of 1's and 0's to effect the frequency modulation of a module programmed with the stl library of c++?
    Its MENTAl on so many different levels!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

july 11, 2011

It's online only. I emailed the author and here is her reply:
    Thanks for your note. No, the piece was online-only. It's too long to appear
    in the print magazine. It's 9,000 words. But I've attached a PDF of the
    piece, which will make it easier if you want to print it out. The only
    difference in the PDF is that we had to delete a couple of the pullquotes
    that appeared on some of the pictures because they bled into the text of the
    article when we made the PDF. But other than that, the piece is the same.

Kim

Here is the PDF she sent me if anyone wants to print it out and keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Advertisement