Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Print discussion thread

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

You'd feel similarly about the article I mentioned too so? That was front page in the paper. No opinion piece should be titled news obviously, seems to be a recurring issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Quinzy

I can't remember that piece... I might have a copy laying round the flat. Care to jog my memory Red?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It was in the issue after the November student march, front page, basically an account of one student's experience of the day. Accused protestors involved around the Dept. of Finance of being violent, etc,. Basically a big load of lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It did say 'news' at the top of the page, but the individual piece was marked 'opinion'. Basically we get such a mish-mash of different types of pieces that it's really difficult to make sure everything is marked up correctly. If I had to do it again I'd probably take the word 'news' off the top of the page. I don't have a copy in front of me atm, can't honestly remember the page layout!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Quinzy

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    It was in the issue after the November student march, front page, basically an account of one student's experience of the day. Accused protestors involved around the Dept. of Finance of being violent, etc,. Basically a big load of lies.

I must have missed that issue! Jaysus, I thought I'd read them all.
    I'll go hunt down a copy.

And regardless of slant, aye, no opinion piece should make front cover.

And Banquo, sure thing! Just letting you know my thoughts on the issue. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 DevilsAdvocate

I still have an issue with the content of that article, as it is tabloid journalism. I thought the whole point in having the Print as unwieldy broadsheet was to carry the connotations of the format. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you have to present it fairly. The print ought not to publish articles with such a clear political bias.

If this kind of thing is allowed to continue, why not get a Zionist's opinion on the next Palestinian story? :rolleyes:

The decision (mine) behind the dimensions were chosen as a combination of echoing broadsheet sentiments as opposed to tabloid, and also for ease of use I.e full broadsheet size could be quite unwieldy in the cramped Arts Block chairs.

The size is technically known as 'Berliner', which is sort of halfway between tabloid and full broadsheet size. Most newspapers on the continent use it (Le Monde, La Republicca, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DevilsAdvocate

I have no real problem with the size of the print, it's pretty irrelevant to my complaint.

My use of the word 'unwieldy' was more to do with my natural compulsion to use adjectives than anything else (and the minor difficulty experienced in turning the pages in more confined spaces) :rolleyes:.

While I think of it: please send any letters of complaint / opinion pieces to ThePrint@nuimsu.com and (assuming they're not massively libellous / threatening genocide / completely insane) we'll happily print them.

Advertisement