Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Print discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

bbbbbamp

Didn't think it was necessary to start a new thread, maybe Monsieur Funky can edit the title? >_> :D

Got the new edition of The Print today, lookin' good :) Borders at the top of pages! <333 Also very useful clubs & socs timetable on the last page.

Easily the longest Letters to the Editors bit in my 4 years in Maynooth too, mostly to do with the protest. I'm in the picture on the front page, OH GOD :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Dying to see it Rob. Well done on getting another one out on time. Some man for one man.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Rob, we told you not to use flah with notGill's costume!
    P.S. Passing off DCU students as Maynooth ones. Tut tut :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Due to some last minute preposterousness, there are far too many problems with this issue for me to be happy with it tbh.

The next issue is the one we'll be submitting for paper of the year, so all hands on deck for anyone who wants to help! This will be my full time job for the next three weeks (as opposed to the ridiculous, ridiculous shift that usually is necessary before the deadline because all the stuff comes in within 24 hours).

banquo wrote: »
    Due to some last minute preposterousness, there are far too many problems with this issue for me to be happy with it tbh.

The next issue is the one we'll be submitting for paper of the year, so all hands on deck for anyone who wants to help! This will be my full time job for the next three weeks (as opposed to the ridiculous, ridiculous shift that usually is necessary before the deadline because all the stuff comes in within 24 hours).

What date do you need articles in by? If I ever get this one written....

• Advertisement

Rob, I've a few little interesting bits I'll pass onto you. Get on the Facebook for a sec broseph.

Pictorial evidence of someone dressed as Pedobear at the Halloween Ball :D ILUVIT!

I've been thinking of writing an article, gonna send an email about it...

Pictorial evidence of someone dressed as Pedobear at the Halloween Ball :D ILUVIT!

Ha ha! That was moggins! he looked pretty awesome too!

A good number of the articles are misattributed too, which is infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Where are these papers? I couldn't find the last issue either, didn't see any in the arts block or JH this morning, are they only available in the SU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Papers were being handed out in the SU and the Arts Block.

Some good articles, but try and have page numbers on the next issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

banquo wrote: »

Well, looking on the bright side some of the last minute problems are just brilliant.

Articles on Spurs-Inter game.
    Headline: Spurs Trounce European Champions
    Sub-headline: Maynooth dominated possession for game
    :P

Yoga are planning a trip to the Dáil too, which makes perfect sense.

MoyVilla9 wrote: »
    Papers were being handed out in the SU and the Arts Block.

Some good articles, but try and have page numbers on the next issue!

The page numbers are technically on it (we used the template from the last issue which had them) but, because the files had to be moved to another computer at the 11th hour, are completely invisible. If anyone really, really wants an explanation for the lack of page numbers I could do a really technical YouTube video :p

efla wrote: »
    Where are these papers? I couldn't find the last issue either, didn't see any in the arts block or JH this morning, are they only available in the SU?

A load got distributed yesterday and I'll be doing a few more later, few things to get out of the way first. This morning I've to:

*Organise receipts for student photographer we used during protest (few quid for a roll as a teeny reward)
    *Finish a poster for the Londis
    *Arrange a meeting for all The Print writers
    *Put together an invoice
    *Meet Broni for some planning
    *Help a student with her laptop
    *Get photos from David O' Doherty gig
    *Phone XBox Ireland again to get some XBoxes for the bar
    *Phone Apple to get an AppleTV for the bar

And then I'm off in my delivery boy hat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I hear the front page of this issue is quite controversial. I fear the words of the hack, quack, quack

The letter on the bottom left hand side, praising former UCD SU President Paul Dillon on his letter to The Irish Times, is mine. The other letter is not mine. It has my name on it. Just to clarify this.

I'll post a full list of clarifications tomorrow.

Edit: And, time allowing, a corrected version online.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    The letter on the bottom left hand side, praising former UCD SU President Paul Dillon on his letter to The Irish Times, is mine. The other letter is not mine. It has my name on it. Just to clarify this.

My post wasn't directed at you, just in case you thought it was. It's directed at yer wan as I'm now going to call her. Great work tonight, you give a fine speech. Next SU pres in the making ;) Show up all the hacks for what they're worth, nada.

Knew that LeixlipRed, no worries :cool: As I said, letter on the left is mine, and the opinion piece on Joeeeeee Duffy paintgate is mine too.
    Next SU pres in the making

Bah! Decent speech is nothing if there's nobody to deliver it to too. It's the folks who poster that make those demos. Irish Times figure of 500 is excellent. Someone should do a piece for it for the next paper.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'm sorry but what the heck is the Aidan Rowe tribute page/Lit and Debating soc "history"/injoke of the year about?

The opinion piece on the front page that continues on the page 4 by a poster on here and SU hack is a complete and utter disgrace. Rob, you should be ashamed that your name was put to that, that you allowed that take prominence in the paper.

I await the "digitisation" of this footage though :rolleyes:

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    The opinion piece on the front page that continues on the page 4 by a poster on here and SU hack is a complete and utter disgrace. Rob, you should be ashamed that your name was put to that, that you allowed that take prominence in the paper.

I await the "digitisation" of this footage though :rolleyes:

Personally I thought it was very good and well done for printing it

How can you think someone's opinion is good? The front of any paper should contain factual pieces not some rant from someone who clearly has an issue with the direct action taken on Wednesday. Stick in the letters section at the back where it belongs.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    How can you think someone's opinion is good? The front of any paper should contain factual pieces not some rant from someone who clearly has an issue with the direct action taken on Wednesday. Stick in the letters section at the back where it belongs.

So opinion pieces aren't allowed in papers now?
    And what's wrong with agreeing with a person's opinion? Of course I can think it's good if i want

That part was a joke. I just said it belonged in the back of the paper with the other opinion pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭mp3guy

My feedback on the second issue;

Obvious things, the text missing spaces and the lack of page numbers.
    Pixelated photos of any sort look bad, at least when resizing use some cubic/bilinear filter.
    "Kids' Corner" - There are no kids in the university and if some kids were reading it I don't think the xkcd comic at the end of the page is really targetted at children. Also on this page - Doodle Space, seems like a cop out to me.

Other than that it's grand, managed to distract me for a while.

So opinion pieces aren't allowed in papers now?

Wasn't going to comment again on The Print, but just to give my view on the opinion/news debate.

The piece I wrote on Louise Minihan and Mary Harney was not a 'news' piece. It was an opinion piece. As such, it went into the opinion section. It is vitally important in any newspaper, student or otherwise, news coverage and opinion pieces are kept clearly seperated and distinguished.

The piece on page 4 was in a section clearly marked 'news'. There was little in the way of news reporting there. As an opinion piece, while I disagreed with it, it was perfectly fine and had as much right to go into the paper as anything else. It should have been ran in the same way Neil Frazer's piece was. Both should have been printed in the opinion section of the paper.

There is a fine line between news and opinion. Most of what I write for the paper is opinion. It also bears the name of the editor on page 4, and not the writer. By all accounts that appears to have been a mistake however.

I think passionate opinion pieces are good. There's a few people I'd have very different opinions to (Stephen Staines comes to mind last year) who were still great writers and whose pieces I read. I go to the opinion section to read them. Had they placed the piece on page 4 in the opinion section, it'd be a non-issue. I'll commend anyone who'll write as many words as Louise did for the thing. It's our paper, fill it up.

**scrap the rest of it, I'll go talk to Rob. I think it's a blip. If you've been in his office, you'll see his passion for this thing. There's a few things I'm peeved over (my name on another persons letter is a real howler I've been hearing about since Tuesday). The Print for college paper of the year 2010/11. Bring on issue 3. Once some of these issues are acknowledged openly in the next one I'm happy.

mp3guy wrote: »
    "Kids' Corner" - There are no kids in the university and if some kids were reading it I don't think the xkcd comic at the end of the page is really targetted at children.

Tbf, I assume the name Kids' Corner is meant to be ironic.

• Advertisement

Tbf, I assume the name Kids' Corner is meant to be ironic.

I thought the same!

Advertisement