Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Print discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭BuroniKiisu

+1 to 'Easter'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Got to hour 41 yesterday. Napped. Nearly finished now!

Short break for tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

banquo wrote: »
    1. I've been waiting for updated design software since the 29th of July. The

Immature, but...that's my birthday!!! :P

Ha! Should be here today, may be tomorrow. It just goes into the queue of things to be printed and there's a lot of extra printing at this time of year (which, to be completely honest, didn't occur to me), Christmas fatalities and the like. So we'll know when we know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

So the heralded third issue of The Print is upon us.

Apparently Declan O'Rourke and Example are playing in the Venue in the next while. I of course would not know this due to the extreme lack of full page ads telling me so in the paper. Also, assistant does not have an e in it.

Design-wise, it just continues to get better. Quite aesthetically pleasing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

So the heralded third issue of The Print is upon us.

Apparently Declan O'Rourke and Example are playing in the Venue in the next while. I of course would not know this due to the extreme lack of full page ads telling me so in the paper. Also, assistant does not have an e in it.

Design-wise, it just continues to get better. Quite aesthetically pleasing :)

Ah!!

Ok, where? I walked through the arts block today and there definately were none. Haven't seen any of them yet!!! Can I call over to the SU and get a pile for the far buildings - Iontas, Auxilia etc...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

There was a stack in the Arts Block at 6pm on the stands they usually have for putting them on. I think it is mostly well done. There is a bit of blurring between "News" and opinion going on in some parts though.

Both previous posts are correct. I'll be able to explain these things when I'm at a computer / not on my phone and not in a car getting motion sickness from driving :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Rob would you be able to post the picture on here that you have of the 25km and 45 km radius from the college, its just I cant make out the towns in the paper. Please :) I think the paper turned out very well too.

• Advertisement

Will do in a while when I've a bit o time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The photos from the demo are awful, they were way better ones available. No political banners in those ones either? Can't see why those pics were chosen over wide angle pictures that actually show the good turnout.

I was one of the people holding the banner. It seemed unfair to me, having had almost no involvement with FEE in the past, to appear to be leading the march.

After consulting two members of FEE, we all agreed that it was best that I didn't publish a picture that unfairly played up my role in the organisation. To me it was something a hack would do I.e contribute little to the cause than put a picture of myself in the paper holding the banner at the front. It would have been wrongly taking credit and disrespectful to FEE. So that was my reasoning. The others were the best of the pics that were sent to me.

I never even mentioned that picture. There were better pictures is all I'm saying.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The Wine Guide, imo, is pointless. Most students don't drink wine and the ones that do, generally, do so to get pissed not for any love of the taste. I'd almost guarantee none of the students who read it will go out and buy the €15 bottle of Petit Fumé.

A beer guide would be far better.

Edit: I'll write one if ye want.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

irish_goat wrote: »
    The Wine Guide, imo, is pointless. Most students don't drink wine and the ones that do, generally, do so to get pissed not for any love of the taste. I'd almost guarantee none of the students who read it will go out and buy the €15 bottle of Petit Fumé.

A beer guide would be far better.

Edit: I'll write one if ye want.

I would disagree. I know quite a few wine buffs in the college!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I would disagree. I know quite a few wine buffs in the college!

No denying there are some, but the majority of students aren't and have no interest in tasting wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭CnaG

Wow, overwhelming negativity here so far. Haven't got my hands on a copy yet and amn't likely to do so for a few days. Any chance of a digital version? :D

irish_goat wrote: »
    No denying there are some, but the majority of students aren't and have no interest in tasting wine.

I'd agree. Think of all the cans of cheap eastern european lager you could get for 15 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

:(

• Advertisement

CnaG wrote: »
    Wow, overwhelming negativity here so far. Haven't got my hands on a copy yet and amn't likely to do so for a few days. Any chance of a digital version? :D

Can only FTP stuff from off-campus, so this will have to wait until the weekend I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

banquo wrote: »
    Can only FTP stuff from off-campus, so this will have to wait until the weekend I'm afraid.

Rob, I may be barking up the complete wrong tree here, but seeing as I use minds as a relay to get access to a computer I have on campus, and they have ftp software installed on their servers, it might be worth approaching one of the admins there to see if there would be any way they could help you access FTP from on campus via them? That may not fly at all, but it might be no harm in asking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

cython wrote: »
    Rob, I may be barking up the complete wrong tree here, but seeing as I use minds as a relay to get access to a computer I have on campus, and they have ftp software installed on their servers, it might be worth approaching one of the admins there to see if there would be any way they could help you access FTP from on campus via them? That may not fly at all, but it might be no harm in asking....

Could you not use a minds account to FTP from the commandline, and then SFTP to download it from shell (Filezilla will do SFTP)? The ports on the minds server are quite restrictive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Alt_Grrr

Jakkass wrote: »
    Could you not use a minds account to FTP from the commandline, and then SFTP to download it from shell (Filezilla will do SFTP)? The ports on the minds server are quite restrictive though.

The ports that are closed on the minds firewall (tinfoilhat) are almost the same as the ones that are closed on the CS department firewall, which is behind the CC firewall.

Some staff on campus do have ftp access, but you need to ask nicely or at least build up a good relationship with some of the folks in the computer centre, they'll be a lot more helpful if they actually know who the angry emails are from...

as for hosting a digital version of the print on minds, I see no problems. Banquo, can you drop a quick email to admins@minds.nuim.ie ? and I'll get the ball rolling for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

Can somebody pleeeeease bring some papers to Logic House?
    I brought the last two batches, and I'm not making an inter-campus trek tomorrow!

Bah. I really meant to today on the rounds! There are two bundles left in the SU, one for Pugin and one for logic. As a former inhabitant of Logic it always annoyed me that they were never distributed there in the past... Will do tomorrow! Apologies again.

Hey, if you're really busy I can do it.
    No biggie, I was just messing earlier, hehe.
    Zítra mám čas, vole!(Czech)

Ha! No, I promised I'd do it last Febuary. Has to be done. I personally delivered the first issue, pretty sure Broni delivered a bundle of the second. They fly out though. 1,500 went out yesterday and they were gone in a few hours. Literally a handful left. Flooded Iontas, engineering building, arts, JH and common room with them today, should be a good few left there if anyone hasn't gotten a copy yet.

Nice paper!!
    But there's a typo in the name of my poem ='(
    Supposed to be Plaveme hehe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

New one's very good. It's missing a letters page or am I missing it? Hopefully this year will see more letters coming in, there's a much broader team writing for it than ever before so engagement with the paper is up anyway.

Is the paper too big someone asked me earlier. I don't think so. The class rep ad is in this one like 3 times but. We should have an international (or even just UK) student news section to fill a page or two. If you want something done do it they say, so I'll get onto Rob re: that.

It's a very good issue, well done all involved. More were that came from I hope. I'd encourage heads to write for it and give Maynooth the diverse paper it NEEDS. Those opinion pages are there to be filled. The whole paper is. ****, nuim boards.ie alone could produce an amazing paper (reading this one, maybe we have!)

Advertisement