Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COMPETITION] Win tickets and dinner for Brian Eno's spectacular APOLLO in November

Options
  • 19-10-2010 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

moon%20landing%202%282%29.jpg

Hey all, a competition for you for one of the most interesting gigs of the year. You can win two tickets and a three course dinner beforehand.
    On Tuesday 9 November 2010, 8pm pioneering ensemble Icebreaker and formidable pedal steel guitarist BJ Cole bring their critically acclaimed performance of Brian Eno's album APOLLO: ATMOSPHERES AND SOUNDTRACKS with Nasa footage to Dublin.

201061810-C2-A9MatthewAndrews%282%29.jpg

This unique event, performed for the very first time in Ireland at The National Concert Hall. is also one of the key events of Science Week Ireland 2010.

Standard tickets are €25 and €30 and are available here.

We have two pairs of tickets to give away in this competition. You could win two, along with dinner at the Terrace Café for you and your guest before the concert.

To be in with a chance of winning a pair just post a comment below and tell us who you'd bring to the concert.

nch_competition.jpg

Widely regarded as Brian Eno's best and most influential ambient album, Apollo was written for Al Reinert's documentary on the Apollo space missions, 'For All Mankind'.

Music from the album also appeared in the films '28 Days Later', 'Traffic' and 'Trainspotting', whose soundtrack sold approximately four million copies.

201061808-C2-A9MatthewAndrews%283%29.jpg

This show returns the music to its original conception, as a non-narrative counterpart to NASA footage from the Apollo programme which is projected during the performance: matching the mesmerizing beauty and tranquil mystery of the moon and Earth; the dizzying scale and humbling feat of engineering involved in taking people to the moon; and capturing the banality and the humour of the astronauts as they skitter about the moon's surface.

QEH%2706_Naresh_5134-lo%20res%282%29.jpg

The concert sees the studio bound album uniquely arranged by composer Jun Lee aka kayip (who was specially selected by Eno for this project) for modern classical group Icebreaker and pedal-steel guitarist BJ Cole. This unique multimedia experience is the final frontier for Eno's ambient music milestone.

Here's a short sample here:

The performance will also feature a Philip Glass composition entitled 'Music with Changing Parts.'

This concert is presented by The National Concert Hall in association with Note Productions and supported by Today FM, The Camden Court Hotel and Science Week 2010.

We'll pick the winners on October 28th. No cash alternative and judge's decision is final. Thanks to the National Concert Hall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

would love to go. Would bring the girlfriend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I think I'm just about enough of a nerd to find this interesting....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I'd bring Buzz "Second comes right after first" Aldrin. He loves that moon nonsense.

Or, failing that, my girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dublindave2

I would bring my Son, to go along with the Moon and of course the Stars.

If he isn't available, of course I would bring my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I'd bring a blind date. Of course, they wouldn't be really be blind because the visuals would be a waste but thinking about it, they would have to be blind to go with me. Feck, I don't know who I will bring now. :D Ok, I'll bring my niece. She doesn't get out much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

Mmmmm David Byrne would tag along for a 'Once in a lifetime' gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

Id bring my wife ... she's a bit of a spacer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I'd bring my mother- she's never been to the NCH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

I'd bring a representative from an Alien race. So that they realise there maybe a reason not to destroy us after all. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 086dubdublin

I'd bring the boyfriend...hes from that other species living in Ireland "Boggers" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭Raoul

Would love to go with my girlfriend

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RJunior

I'd bring my girlfriend. She constantly takes the piss outta of me for being such a space geek. Brian Eno! The NCH! That'd show her!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mocmo

I'd bring my fella, would love to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

would love to go to this.
    I would bring the Wife, as she has only recently given birth to our beautiful child and deserves to be given something "so out of this world".

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭useded

Would most definitely go. I would bring my friend who loves Brian Eno so much he will most definitely wear some kind of space gear apparatus/spacesuit to the show. Come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭magicray

I would bring my hubby - I've always said he is out of this world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

I would bring my wife.

id bring my son, he is fascinated with space and would never forget a night like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I'd bring my boyfriend, he's never been to the NCH and he deserves a night out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

I'm in - and I'd bring a giant bag of that fizzy powder confectionary that bubbles on your tongue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'd bring a man sized bag of astronaut Icecream, and eat every disgusting last bit of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭FledNanders

Eh...I'd bring Brain One, Brian Eno's slightly bodyless amagramatical younger evil twin, who is just a brain in a jar. He's never been to the NCH before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 overeager

Id definately bring my roomate, he's been real homesick lately and has been moping around all the time... I this'l probably help him get over it

Although i suspect he may just be lookin for some pitty/attention from my girlfriend...

alien_sex_21.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

My girlfriends mother. We're both massive nerds and she would love this.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I would bring my Best Friend. We went to a Crystal Swing concert and it was brilliant fun (even though we didn't even like them). Would love this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Hi. I would also like to go this.

I would bring one of the many children I have fostered from the small village of Kirchdorf on the Baltic Sea.

Failing that I would of course bring the love of my life. Actually, no scratch that, I better bring the wife, she might be cruising Boards and find out. Good comp...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I'd bring Angel01 (a board member) - because when she won the Fair City set trip she brought me and I'd love to return her kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd bring Brian Cowen just to make the point of how we could have an Irish pub for him on the moon with €50bn.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

I would bring my boyfriend, because I can't afford space tourism quite yet (i'm GOING to space some day) but this would be a nice start, and weirdy spacey stuff is one of the few places where our music taste collides.
    Also, nerdgasming over space pictures is one of our many hobbies.
    We'd behave though, I promise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

I would bring all the members of the conspiracy theories forum especially the guys who reckon the moon landing was faked!!!

Advertisement