Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Engineering Project 2010/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Well the exam's next week guys...

What is everyone doing for the special topic? I'm just going to read up a bit about incineration on Wikipedia and i'll have a look at that powerpoint presentation that's going around the internet. What do you all reckon? Is that enough?

Our teacher said that LIT did that powerpoint presentation last year too and got it spot on so id say go with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

x2^
    have the hand out. it pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

How's everyone set for the theory exam? Do you need to bring in your drawing equipment?

Nah im just gonna bring in a pencil and a ruler for sketches and maybe a graph oh and a calculator.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Im bringing pens, pencils, a ruler, a compass, a calculator and colouring pencils. That should cover me completly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Could someone send me a link to that powerpoint presentation on incineration? i

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Savage Cabbage!

Thought it was a very very nice paper!! Although Q1 had a few dodgy Q's...

Lovely paper.

The graph on Q4 was a bit dodgy though. Did anyone get the ratio of the phases to be 26/11?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

Glad it went well.

All the project work is in the process of being marked now too. As long as you stuck to the brief and included everything you needed to, the marks will be easy to obtain.

Good range of projects on show.

• Advertisement

villian02 wrote: »
    Glad it went well.

All the project work is in the process of being marked now too. As long as you stuck to the brief and included everything you needed to, the marks will be easy to obtain.

Good range of projects on show.
    Is it marked during the exams? I always thought the marking was in July.

Actually... are the examiners lenient on battery issues? My snowmobile has electronic steering and propulsion and when the battery voltage drops below the recommended voltage the steering mechanism goes haywire and the propulsion motor works erratically. It works perfectly fine if the batteries are brand new and fresh so do you think i'd lose marks for something like that? I mentioned all of this in my evaluation btw.

Lovely paper.

The graph on Q4 was a bit dodgy though. Did anyone get the ratio of the phases to be 26/11?

25/15 if I remember correctly for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

I wonder is the paper online yet? Wouldn't mind having a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭kpac

Griffen262 wrote: »
    25/15 if I remember correctly for me!
    24/16 = 3/2...
    I think I got...

It's the same with everyone else in my class. Completely different answers for the graph questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

No tricks whatsoever in questions 2, 5,6,7 and 8. Straightforward enough. Did anyone get those in inventors in q1? They might end up being the cause of me not getting full marks there.

Incineration was OK. They didn't get too specific, lots of it was to do with the environment generally, and only some information was need by the candidate to directly link it to incineration.

Not bad, overall!

It's the same with everyone else in my class. Completely different answers for the graph questions.

Doubt it really matters, the graph wasnt as straighforward as it usually is!...Worded and looked different from other years (high up on the graph) So I suspect most will have different answers, but the main thing is that the answers were taken correctly off your own graph and you understood what you were asked to do.
    Gumbi wrote: »
    No tricks whatsoever in questions 2, 5,6,7 and 8. Straightforward enough. Did anyone get those in inventors in q1? They might end up being the cause of me not getting full marks there.

Incineration was OK. They didn't get too specific, lots of it was to do with the environment generally, and only some information was need by the candidate to directly link it to incineration.

Not bad, overall!

I raped incineration in the a*se....love the predictability of Engineering!

Griffen262 wrote: »
    Doubt it really matters, the graph wasnt as straighforward as it usually is!...Worded and looked different from other years (high up on the graph) So I suspect most will have different answers, but the main thing is that the answers were taken correctly off your own graph and you understood what you were asked to do.

I raped incineration in the a*se....love the predictability of Engineering!

As did I my friend ;) So very predictable. Did anyone do question 2? Young's mdulus of elasticity was 88? Proof stress was 240, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

Is it marked during the exams? I always thought the marking was in July.

Actually... are the examiners lenient on battery issues? My snowmobile has electronic steering and propulsion and when the battery voltage drops below the recommended voltage the steering mechanism goes haywire and the propulsion motor works erratically. It works perfectly fine if the batteries are brand new and fresh so do you think i'd lose marks for something like that? I mentioned all of this in my evaluation btw.

The papers won't be marked until July but the projects are currently being marked. Battery issues are not a problem for the examiners. The only way you might fail to gain marks is if the wiring on the project is messy. And like you said if you mention it in the evaluation it will be taken into account too.

As did I my friend ;) So very predictable. Did anyone do question 2? Young's mdulus of elasticity was 88? Proof stress was 240, I think.

I remember getting 88 anyway.;):D

• Advertisement

I put no effort in to the project at all, and about 2 hours into the brief. I'm hoping to get about 16 out of 25. Will I get this? I did an excellent day test, and hope to get 22-23 out of 25. I studied a lot for today and expect to get about 94%. Hopefully I'll get an A2 for that :)

Digits wrote: »
    I remember getting 88 anyway.;):D

Cool. :)

Young's modulus is almost always 88kN :p

I got 260 for my proof stress. I asked two others in my class and one got 140 and another got 340 :confused:. I'm fairly sure the 340 can't be correct as that's miles away from the proportional range.

Young's modulus is almost always 88kN :p

I got 260 for my proof stress. I asked two others in my class and one got 140 and another got 340 :confused:. I'm fairly sure the 340 can't be correct as that's miles away from the proportional range.

Yup. Sounds like we're about right. 140 is too low, 340 was near the UTS, no way is it that.

I got 335 for proof stress...up from 1.0 parallel to proportionality range until it hits the curve, straight across to 335.

kpac wrote: »
    I got 335 for proof stress...up from 1.0 parallel to proportionality range until it hits the curve, straight across to 335.
    You were meant to get it from 0.1 =/

No, when you need 0.1% proof stress, you go up from the 1000 strain mark. Look at any past exam papers with a stress-strain graph. They're all around 340 N/mm^2.

You were meant to get it from 0.1 =/

What? It is from 0.001 that you measure from on the Strain axis. Since the x-axis is x1000, it is 1. Draw a line parallel to the proportional part of the graph, and when it hits the curve, draw a line at a right angle to it to the y-axis, and there;s your answer.

Maybe you plotted the graph by dividing each Strain result by 1000?

kpac wrote: »
    No, when you need 0.1% proof stress, you go up from the 1000 strain mark. Look at any past exam papers with a stress-strain graph. They're all around 340 N/mm^2.

He's right http://www.examinations.ie/archive/markingschemes/2008/LC027ALP000EV.pdf

Page 9.

• Advertisement

What? It is from 0.001 that you measure from on the Strain axis. Since the x-axis is x1000, it is 1. Draw a line parallel to the proportional part of the graph, and when it hits the curve, draw a line at a right angle to it to the y-axis, and there;s your answer.

Maybe you plotted the graph by dividing each Strain result by 1000?
    Thank you. :) This gives an answer of around 340, and it's always been around this.

I think a lot of people messed that up, thankfully I've been doing those graphs with the last two years so if I got them wrong at this stage, the teacher would be in for it tomorrow. :cool:

Advertisement