Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Engineering Project 2010/2011

Options
  • 19-10-2010 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Higher Level: Design a model of a snowmobile.

a) Have the rear propulsion unit controlled by an ON/OFF switch
    b) Incorporate front skis with a steering mechanism
    c) Have seating capacity for the driver only

Max size 300mm

Ordinary Level: Make a model recovery truck.

a) Electrical drive with ON/OFF switch
    b) ONe decorative feature

Max size 250mm
    villian02 wrote: »
    Use the headings you are given on the pink sheet of your brief as the headings to put in your folder.

Do NOT use any other headings, (eg. Ones in the junior cert metalwork book for the design process). When the examiner marks your project, he works from the 5 headings on the pink sheet.

Analysis of Brief
    Investigation of Solutions
    Criteria for selection of solution
    Production drawings/Plans
    Testing and Evaluation

Students seem to think that they get marks for a history of the project/article to be made or a section on investigation full of pictures copied from the net. Stick to the headings given on the pink sheet and you will get simple, easy marks when it is being marked.
    Examiners find it much easier to give marks when students stick to the marking scheme given. When students deviate from the marking scheme it much more difficult for the examiner to find the information he is looking for.

And one last thing, do not leave the folder to the last minute!! Do the folder as you go along through the project. Its much easier for the examiner to see your progression through your ideas and it shows through when the folder is done as the project is being made.
    Either way, you should be as far as the production drawings before you start making the project anyway.

Higher Level:

LC%20H2010%20P1.jpg

LC%20H2010%20P2.jpg

LC%20H2010%20P3.jpg

Ordinary Level:

LC%20O2010%20P1.jpg

LC%20O2010%20P2.jpg

LC%20O2010.jpg

So where to from here? Best of luck :)

P.S.

The ordinary level folder comprises of different headings so make sure you are aware of this if you are taking the ordinary level.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

do the skis at the front actually have to steer it or can you steer it with the back axles...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

sideways83 wrote: »
    do the skis at the front actually have to steer it or can you steer it with the back axles...

I would assume from the wording of the brief the front skis control the steering.

"Incorporate front skis with a steering mechanism"

I'm sure the potential to steer using the front skis would suffice.

iam lost..:confused:.so the skis at the front will have to steer it.??
    wud it do to have them steering but not actually controling the steering.just for show..

I wouldn't be getting too bogged down on the steering details to be honest. At the end of the day the whole point of the project is to make a model of the snowmobile.

You have to remember that there will be no way to test if the steering actually works due to not having snow to test it on :cool:.

As long as the mechanism you choose to aid steering has the potential to work you would be fine. (Basically that the handle bars connect to the skis on the front and that joining process you choose wont loosen as it is used).

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Is this definitively this years project? Any links?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Repeat2011

can anyone put up a scan of the whole brief??

Digits wrote: »
    Is this definitively this years project? Any links?

Yes this is definitely the brief. Came in the post this morning. No links as yet as it hasn't been updated on the SEC website as yet.

Repeat2011 wrote: »
    can anyone put up a scan of the whole brief??

I'll get a scan of the whole brief tomorrow. Though there is nothing more on the sheet other than the standard instructions that come on the sheet every year and the marking scheme.

villian02 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be getting too bogged down on the steering details to be honest. At the end of the day the whole point of the project is to make a model of the snowmobile.

You have to remember that there will be no way to test if the steering actually works due to not having snow to test it on :cool:.

As long as the mechanism you choose to aid steering has the potential to work you would be fine. (Basically that the handle bars connect to the skis on the front and that joining process you choose wont loosen as it is used).

tanks for the help.its clearer nw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Ahhhh.... What a crappy brief. Not impossibly difficult but it's gonna be a purely mechanical project. No opportunity for fancy electronics =/

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

I'm scanning in the brief and the 6 hour now

• Advertisement

Original post now with fully updated briefs

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SevenCarPileUp

Only thing I'm worried about so far is how to go about making a track system from scratch. I'm planning on using rubber as the material, but I don't know where I'm going to get it. On ebay I saw some model tank tracks going for 13 euro from the US, but if I want to get a good grade am I really going to have to put money into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Only thing I'm worried about so far is how to go about making a track system from scratch. I'm planning on using rubber as the material, but I don't know where I'm going to get it. On ebay I saw some model tank tracks going for 13 euro from the US, but if I want to get a good grade am I really going to have to put money into it?

Can you not make it out of 6 mm thick aluminiun in the shape of a quadrilaterial?

I wouldnt worry too much about the tracks, miko metals in cork will prob have something when they send out lists to the metalwork teacher for material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Repeat2011

just picked up engineering this year, never done metal work, does anyone have any tips for making this project, don't no where to start?!!!!! :confused::confused::confused:

Repeat2011 wrote: »
    just picked up engineering this year, never done metal work, does anyone have any tips for making this project, don't no where to start?!!!!! :confused::confused::confused:

Have you done woodwork before? pm me and send you some stuff on it.

are most ppl makin the tracks/wheels move ya??

Do you actually have to make the track yourself or can it be recycled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shaunak101

does any1 know of any of those design programmes that i can use ?? preferably for free??

About the steering system it needs to be a working system... for instant imagine a steering wheel of a car but instead of it being attached to wheels its attached to skies.:D

recycled id say.sur if you had to make them its would take you ageess.
    its a projcts on snowmobile not track making jano.
    dats what i tink anyway.

Mmm... Suppose we'll see as it progresses anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

stopped doing engineering at after 4th year due to it conflicting with another choice but...
    i designed one for my mate today, basically an upscaled quad (the project in 3rd year, only around 150 by guesstimate so up to around 300) with tracks and skis. alot of minor changes, but same basic layout of parts, especially the front and top section of the project.

the track would be the only major change.

small changes would be suspension on the front skis and relocation of battry pack and switch and a led light at the front hooked to the same power as the tracks etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loverboy

What are ye going to do for da steering??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MadMattDog

loverboy wrote: »
    What are ye going to do for da steering??
    I dont think its wise to ask that. Thats the personal part of it.

As for the quad idea, genious, but you don't need the LEDs.

Wondering what are people making the mockup out of, and what would be suitable materials to make it out of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loverboy

MadMattDog wrote: »
    Wondering what are people making the mockup out of, and what would be suitable materials to make it out of?

I wouldn't ask that..thats a personal part of it

You can make it out of whatever you have at hand. Cardboard, paper anything really. Hell, you could even use sheets of 24 carat gold if you were inclined too.

Having done technology for JC, we needed more than one design and then we chose from them in the portfolio. Is it the same for Engineering or do you need only to discuss the one design that you find the best?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

Having done technology for JC, we needed more than one design and then we chose from them in the portfolio. Is it the same for Engineering or do you need only to discuss the one design that you find the best?

As far as I know you have to discuss more than one design.

Do you have to submit the mock up??

either submit the mock up or have plenty of photos of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kieranb1

sideways83 wrote: »
    iam lost..:confused:.so the skis at the front will have to steer it.??
    wud it do to have them steering but not actually controling the steering.just for show..

i think that would do because they wont be testing it out like.. as long as it looks like it has potential

• Advertisement

0987654321 wrote: »
    As far as I know you have to discuss more than one design.

Do you have to submit the mock up??

It is necessary to include 3 possible solutions as part of your investigation, yes. And for the criteria for selection of solution chapter include the advantages and disadvantages for chosing each of your solutions.

You dont necessarily have to make a mockup as such. Your teacher may want you to make one to help you visualise the size better but it not absolutely necessary.

Advertisement