Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Engineering Project 2010/2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 14_characters!

you can use a cut out form the tube of an old car tyre if the tracks you get in are too big, several people in my class did that, and in the brief it says to control it using an on/off switch, does that mean you cant have it reverse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

Has anyone ordered tracks from Miko metals or the like?
    If so, how big are they? Thickness, width, anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

you can use a cut out form the tube of an old car tyre if the tracks you get in are too big, several people in my class did that, and in the brief it says to control it using an on/off switch, does that mean you cant have it reverse?
    Don't see the necessity. You won't necessarily get any more marks for it as wiring a motor for bi-directional movement isn't considered difficult by the examiners. All you'll do is increase the amount of wiring you have which increases the risk of error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Handyman123

iv my rear propulsion unit complete i also have my steering mechanism with supension done also im on my final part which is going to be a vaccum formed cover...was just wondering is there anywer anyone knows wer ya can download solidworks as i could use it for my drawings and would also help with my consrtuction project

iv my rear propulsion unit complete i also have my steering mechanism with supension done also im on my final part which is going to be a vaccum formed cover...was just wondering is there anywer anyone knows wer ya can download solidworks as i could use it for my drawings and would also help with my consrtuction project

What did you do for propulsion unit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Handyman123

0987654321 wrote: »
    What did you do for propulsion unit?
    i used two brackets two wheel rubber track and attached all i put the motor facing the backend and used bevel gears to get angle and then just used gears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Can anyone explain what has to be done for the brief? My teacher is absolutely terrible at explaining this! Barely anyone in my class knows what to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cullenman

Check out this site http://sites.google.com/site/gobanengineeringnotes/. Look under Folio guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

cullenman wrote: »
    Check out this site http://sites.google.com/site/gobanengineeringnotes/. Look under Folio guidelines.
    Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

Can anyone point me in the direction of a site where I could get some basic ideas for the circuit? Just the motor and battery with possibly the capacity to put 2 LED's on. Havnt done electronics since junior cert and remember none of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lukeo17

Alrite. Anyone no what to put in analysis of brief? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Analysis Of Design Brief (5 marks).
    What is a snowmobile (include a few pictures)
    What is its function?
    How do they move?
    How are they steered (include a picture)?
    What are the requirements for my design?
    What are the constraints on my design?
    size
    on/off switch
    visible operational parts
    Production methods and tools available to me.
    Materials available to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Saggateron

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a site where I could get some basic ideas for the circuit? Just the motor and battery with possibly the capacity to put 2 LED's on. Havnt done electronics since junior cert and remember none of it!

i dont know any good sites but if you wire your battery into the switch, then run the switch to the motor any extras like led's can be wired directly from the motor contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Saggateron

Alright lads I've just finished the entire model and the write up is half done. I don't want to sound like an ass (I'm sure I do) but the feeling of having it done is amazing.

Just keep working on it and you'll be grand if anyone needs advice on anything just pm me here ok

and good luck

Saggateron wrote: »
    i dont know any good sites but if you wire your battery into the switch, then run the switch to the motor any extras like led's can be wired directly from the motor contacts.
    Wiring an LED in series with a motor would be a pretty bad idea...

I've got everything pretty much done barring polishing and cleaning the model. I'm working on my circuit board at the moment and i'll hopefully have that done fairly soon. I've had most of my brief finished since the October midterm!

I can't wait to get it all out of the way.

Was just thinking, maybe it woud be a cool idea for us to post up pictures of our completed (or incomplete as the case may be) snowmobiles next week after the deadline. Could be good to see the competition and how other people approached the same brief! I dont know if that would be compromising projects or anything but I highly doubt it seeing as they should be sealed away at the end of this week?

Is the deadline strictly enforced? I'm technically finished but i'm in the middle of mocks and I still need to do a tiny bit of assembly (Screws so not exactly time consuming) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 scm

If your going to vacuum for the complete top of it will you lose marks? It says on the brief all parts must be clearly seen with out dismantling?

scm wrote: »
    If your going to vacuum for the complete top of it will you lose marks? It says on the brief all parts must be clearly seen with out dismantling?
    I shouldn't think so no. If you turned it upside down everything would be clearly visible.

Is the deadline strictly enforced? I'm technically finished but i'm in the middle of mocks and I still need to do a tiny bit of assembly (Screws so not exactly time consuming) .

The deadline isn't enforced at all.

• Advertisement

Our schools enforcing it :(. Had to lock our projects up today. Just barely got finished. Not at all what I wanted to get completed. Had a lot of complications with my vaccum formed piece (which was to be the crown jewel of my project). Had to completely leave it out after. Fairly dissapointed overall. What exactly is the model itself worth in terms of percentage anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lukeo17

Cheers. And what were u ment to put in Investigation of alternative solutions and crteria for selection? cas i tink i done them bit completely wrong :O

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Our schools enforcing it :(. Had to lock our projects up today. Just barely got finished. Not at all what I wanted to get completed. Had a lot of complications with my vaccum formed piece (which was to be the crown jewel of my project). Had to completely leave it out after. Fairly dissapointed overall. What exactly is the model itself worth in terms of percentage anyway?
    Project+folder=25% i think...im not too sure though another 25% for 6 hour practical and 50% for theory

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

how people fairing out with deadline.
    also any tips on wiring it.

sideways83 wrote: »
    how people fairing out with deadline.
    also any tips on wiring it.
    It's just a switch, a battery and a motor :p

Just create a chain and solder wires from each terminal. In a simple switch, battery, DC Motor circuit polarity is not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭enaeknala1

Hey everyone,

Just wondering does anyone know how strict are they with the size constraints? Its supposed to be 300 mm max but mines pushing 350mm? You think its a big issue?

enaeknala1 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

Just wondering does anyone know how strict are they with the size constraints? Its supposed to be 300 mm max but mines pushing 350mm? You think its a big issue?
    According to the marking scheme adhering to the constraints is only worth 5 marks. The most i'd imagine you could lose for that is 2 marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NiallCom

put up a few pictures of your projects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 barryq102

What sort of things do you need to put in for investigation and research?

• Advertisement

Well the exam's next week guys...

What is everyone doing for the special topic? I'm just going to read up a bit about incineration on Wikipedia and i'll have a look at that powerpoint presentation that's going around the internet. What do you all reckon? Is that enough?

Advertisement