Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Engineering Project 2010/2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

villian02 wrote: »
    It is necessary to include 3 possible solutions as part of your investigation, yes. And for the criteria for selection of solution chapter include the advantages and disadvantages for chosing each of your solutions.

You dont necessarily have to make a mockup as such. Your teacher may want you to make one to help you visualise the size better but it not absolutely necessary.
    Three solutions as in three full snowmobile designs or three solutions as in three mechanisms?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 villian02

Three solutions as in three full snowmobile designs or three solutions as in three mechanisms?

Yes, 3 full solutions of snowmobiles should be included. This may seem like a lot of work, but it you complete the analysis of the brief correctly and carry out the investigation methodically, 3 solutions should come about quite easily.
    You could decide to include 3 solutions of mechanisms that may fulfil the brief also, but if you do this, you should really include 3 solutions of all of the other specifications you are asked to include on the project also.

In the long run, including 3 full solutions will make it easier for you to complete the criteria for selection of solution chapter, as you can provide advantages and disadvantages to each solution on each seperate sketch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Power_10

What sub headings should you use when doing your analysis of brief.?

Power_10 wrote: »
    What sub headings should you use when doing your analysis of brief.?

There are no set sub-headings to use as such. It all depends how you decide to tackle the brief. If i was doing it i would be breaking a standard snowmobile down to its basic components and identifying what is needed to make a snowmobile work. With all the necessary components identified i would use the investigation section of the brief to further research these and then identify mechanisms which you could use within your project to fulfil the given brief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Does a bar like this count as a mechanism? or does it have to be rack and pinion?

• Advertisement

If you're using CAD for all of your drawings do you need to include mechanisms and circuitry in the CAD drawing? I don't fancy making motors and switches all in Solidworks (Particularly since I only started using it last Friday :eek: )

i'd just make the individual parts like the junior cert project and list the mechanisms

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

Having done LC Engineering and gotten an A1, I just want to make the note that in your project report, have all the sections in it titled exactly as they are on the marking scheme breakdown for the folio (section 4 of the design brief).

It's how the examiner is viewing your report and makes it easier for them to allocate marks since it's clear what sections in your report are relevant to the marking scheme.

With regard the snowmobiles tracks, I know my year just used bought wheels for our project, and it would be time consuming and somewhat difficult to make an functional set of tracks, so I'd say you'd be ok to use a prefabbed rubber model track such as from an rc tank or similar as mentioned before.

If you want to throw in a bit of electronics, other than forward/back on/off, you could have front and rear led's, with the Led's coming on depending on which direction you're moving.

Also whatever you do about you're design, elaborate or not, just make sure you get the three features stated in the design brief into your model, otherwise you're throwing out marks

And one last thing, keep it simple and don't go making stuff without a clear idea of how it's all going to fit and work together or else you'll have a nightmare at the end trying to iron out the kinks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I never knew this subject existed..it looks like so much fun! Wish my school did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

Having done LC Engineering and gotten an A1, I just want to make the note that in your project report, have all the sections in it titled exactly as they are on the marking scheme breakdown for the folio (section 4 of the design brief).

It's how the examiner is viewing your report and makes it easier for them to allocate marks since it's clear what sections in your report are relevant to the marking scheme.

With regard the snowmobiles tracks, I know my year just used bought wheels for our project, and it would be time consuming and somewhat difficult to make an functional set of tracks, so I'd say you'd be ok to use a prefabbed rubber model track such as from an rc tank or similar as mentioned before.

If you want to throw in a bit of electronics, other than forward/back on/off, you could have front and rear led's, with the Led's coming on depending on which direction you're moving.

Also whatever you do about you're design, elaborate or not, just make sure you get the three features stated in the design brief into your model, otherwise you're throwing out marks

And one last thing, keep it simple and don't go making stuff without a clear idea of how it's all going to fit and work together or else you'll have a nightmare at the end trying to iron out the kinks

How long was your folio?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mikey11

just wonder there do any off ye hav designs for it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mikey11

for the snowmobile ive kno idea what 2 do:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lukeo17

Yea im the same will someone put up a good link to show how to design the model? ? ? havent a clue were to start

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭desertstorm

0987654321 wrote: »
    How long was your folio?

32 Pages in total with pictures and stuff

Just noticed a lot of what I said is already in the first post :o had been up 36 hours pretty much so was in an odd place haha

As for the design lads, just try you're best to break the 3 requirements into the bare essentials, don't go over complicating it and try get a good mental image of it, rough sketch a few ideas out before trying to set something in stone. You won't be able to get this design spoon fed to you I'm afraid, but as for ideas, google is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Devro93

Im new to it also this year and have no ideas for the project .

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

anybody any ideas on the steering or suspension

sideways83 wrote: »
    There's no need for suspension. They can't give you marks for something not on the brief and marking scheme.

Remember everyone

KISS (Keep it simple, stupid)

:D

There's no need for suspension. They can't give you marks for something not on the brief and marking scheme.

Remember everyone

KISS (Keep it simple, stupid)

:D

That isn't necessarily fully correct. It is possible to get marks if you add something into your project which is not required but does enhance the design or overall look of the project. BUT, if at all possible KISS! More often than not a student will add in something that is not required and the workmanship will be poor which may actually loose them marks. Do what is asked in the brief first of all and if you have the time or inclination enhance it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

Do steering mechanism similar to a go-kart, except with skis instead of wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Saggateron

As for the quad idea, genious, but you don't need the LEDs.

Wondering what are people making the mockup out of, and what would be suitable materials to make it out of?[/QUOTE]

hey

just use hangers or paperclips to make a wireframe model i've used it for other mock ups its a bit tricy but it looks awesome if you pull it off

• Advertisement

How are you all getting on with the project?

I've got about 14ish pages on my portfolio without the cover or TOC or a full set of working drawings (I've got two working drawings printed but the rest still need proper dimensioning). I've got two models made out of cardboard done (Both had their flaws so I just amalgamated the two in to my final design). Started getting through my cut list last Wednesday and should have most of the main parts cut before December. As for electronics, i've started working on etching a PCB board but i've still got some niggling issues to sort out with drilling (Need tiny 0.1mm drill bits)

I know it seems all a bit overkill but I'm hoping to get everything wrapped up before the Christmas exams because January-March will be hell for me otherwise as I've the HPAT and the Mocks to worry about.

If you want to try looking up old Leaf Spring Mechanisms like what they have on old pickup trucks or on horse drawn carts. very easy to make and very effective

Also propulsion is everyone just going with tracks? I have a few un usual ideas if people want to talk about alternative methods

Everything Changes, nothing is ever truly Lost

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sideways83

Saggateron wrote: »
    If you want to try looking up old Leaf Spring Mechanisms like what they have on old pickup trucks or on horse drawn carts. very easy to make and very effective

Also propulsion is everyone just going with tracks? I have a few un usual ideas if people want to talk about alternative methods

go on..fire away.iam listen:).

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I couldnt really think up anything beyond tracks but I'd love to hear an alternative solution! :D I havnt done much on the brief yet. Just basic sketches. Im pretty handy at art so they look decent but I think Im going to have to learn how to use Solidworks so I can do all my working drawings on the computer :(. That should be...eh...fun?

any idea on the best wat for steering?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I have an original idea for the rear propulsion mechanism.....I was thinking of using a fan/blower type propulsion system not too dissimilar from something you would see on a hovercraft....what do ye think?

I have an original idea for the rear propulsion mechanism.....I was thinking of using a fan/blower type propulsion system not too dissimilar from something you would see on a hovercraft....what do ye think?
    I wouldn't personally...

You have to remember the purpose of a snowmobile, I know it won't be tested on snow (Unless it snows during summer...) but nevertheless it must be viable for a snow environment. A fan wouldn't provide nearly as much thrust as required to control a snowmobile. You'd need a model pulsejet or something along those lines to provide enough power.

Needless to say that's a tiny bit excessive... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ColinD4881

any idea on the best wat for steering?

I think the best to go with is go-kart steering mechanism or somthing similsr to it.

personally I think its a good idea but you'll need to make it super lightweight, with very fast engine and a large propeller try

http://www.rapidonline.com/

for electronic components or have a look at this photo

http://jalopnik.com/5479379/conquer-the-snowpocalypse-with-a-propeller+powered-sled

good look

• Advertisement

mikey11 wrote: »
    for the snowmobile ive kno idea what 2 do:(

look just sit down at a pc and google Snowmobiles, Concept snow mobiles for basic ideas then start with mechanisms just look at loads of pictures to get the ball rolling as they say:rolleyes:

Advertisement