Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert. Engineering Project 2010/2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 polly c

We have our tracks ordered from miko but they still haven't arrived :mad: I'm just wondering about the skis, does their have to be two? and is the steering system on a motorbike going to be a suitable "steering mechanism"?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

As long as it turns properly you'll be ok I'd say. I know a couple of lads using one ski and it's working out pretty well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 0987654321

It says in brief "skis", not ski. Could be nothing but you don't want to lose marks on a technicality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 deebz

0987654321 wrote: »
    How long you out of action for? The deadline is rarely enforced strictly if thats any good to ya it carries on for ages.
    im out til the middle of march between all.

deebz wrote: »
    im out til the middle of march between all.

You will def be grand. Just make sure have ALL plans finished and anything you can do with one arm done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

how far is everyone with this?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

I'we a bit of my folder done, and almost all warking drawings...I have'nt started the actual project because our school was closed for almost two weeks...

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    I'we a bit of my folder done, and almost all warking drawings...I have'nt started the actual project because our school was closed for almost two weeks...

Im in pretty much the exact same situation. Really have to get going fast once we get back. Don't have soildworks though so don't know what I'm going to do about that. Want it to look professional and Google Sketch-up is just too awkward for what I'm doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I've got my folder pretty much complete (Barring selection and testing and evaluation as I haven't gotten to that stage yet). My working drawings are all made up and I just need to print one or two more and they'll be physically finished.

As for the piece itself, i've got all the parts roughly cut to shape. I've finished shaping and machining around 50% of my pieces so far. All I really need to do is machine a few pieces on the lathe (CNC so all I need to do is get the programming done). As for electronics i've tested it all out on a breadboard and just need to get my PCB drilled and soldered.

Then all i've left to do is assemble, test, finish my folder and i'll be done!

I envy you so much! At this stage I'd give anything just to go in and get started on my project! The CNC work won't take too long and my lathework is relatively simple. Just have a few finicky bits that I've to cut and shape by hand. Need to get those pieces for the one day practical done too.

• Advertisement

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    I envy you so much! At this stage I'd give anything just to go in and get started on my project! The CNC work won't take too long and my lathework is relatively simple. Just have a few finicky bits that I've to cut and shape by hand. Need to get those pieces for the one day practical done too.
    I actually haven't even seen the drawings for the day practical yet. What are they like?

BTW, what CNC lathe have you guys got and what are you using to make the program?

I havnt seen them either I just know I still have to do them! We have a CNC Lathe but Im not using it. We're using a CNC Router which uses Solidworks. It's quite simple to use really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

why not use two or three of these paralell as a set of tracks. it'd give plenty of grip and would be nice and reliable :o wish i was doin mine this year. way more interesting than the gantry cranes last year

ladder_chain_drives2.jpgar.

Hey, I just downloaded SolidWorks 2009 and I'we never used it before... does it take much time to learn all the main functions required for enginneering drawings? cuz my sketching skills aren't that good, so I hope it would look better on solidworks.

Did you use the CD or is there somewhere online I can download it?

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    Did you use the CD or is there somewhere online I can download it?
    I downloaded if from torrents...I was going to get CD from DCG teacher but I though I better get these drawings done during holidays.
    BTW anyone know where I could get some tutorials for a beginner on SolidWorks? Cuz i cant find a few things out there.

There seems to be a lot of talk about learning Solidworks for drawings and that. Serious amount of work for only 10 marks.

I know how to use solidworks I just dont have it. And what I could do on solidworks would look a lot better than what I'd draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

For anyone worried about the drawings and Solidworks and all that Google SketchUp is probably the best thing to use if you want to use computer graphics but have never done so before. It's got a pretty simple interface, it's easy enough to learn how to use quickly.

When I did my project a few years ago I drew out a really basic 3D model of the design and then took a screen shot from a good angle and printed that. Then I traced over the print out and added in more detail by hand. Basically it took out all the hassle of trying to do perspective drawing and the like.

When it came to the part drawings, I did them all by hand. The reason was that as I worked my way through the project things kept changing, you run into little problems that need a quick fix and it would be a pain to redraw stuff like that in Solidworks all the time.

Basically;
    Concept drawings - SketchUp with hand drawn detail
    Part drawings (like the ones you'd get for your day test) - hand drawn, again and again!

I'm doing engineering in college now and for all the mad professional software we learn how to use, for a project like this the first thing I'd go for is SketchUp

Final note, be aware of the marks! People have said before, there's no use killing yourself learning Solidworks or drawing everything ten times to get it right when it's only worth 10 marks in the end.

Hows everyones projects getting along? Anyone finished?

• Advertisement

Hows everyones projects getting along? Anyone finished?
    Despite starting early I still have around 4 out of my 35 parts left to make. Of that only about 10 or so of them are properly finished and machined to the final dimensions. The rest still need filing, drilling, bending e.t.c.

I wouldn't be panicking had it not been for the fact the deadline falls in the middle of my mocks and that I have an interview for a UK university on the 5th February and mock exams at the end of February. That's not to mention orals and the fact I need to really pick up on my study.

If I had a six hour class i'd probably get everything finished. There isn't that much left to do it's just that it's a lot of small little things that need to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I am completely finished. Brief done too! Got most of that done during the xmas holidays. Did the CAD drawings on Pro/Engineer package.

Best of luck!

I am completely finished. Brief done too! Got most of that done during the xmas holidays. Did the CAD drawings on Pro/Engineer package.

Best of luck!
    You're finished fabricating the snowmobile? Congrats :)

Just out of interest how complicated is it? I'm just trying to gauge if i'm seriously behind or if i'm somewhat on track, i'm not trying to insinuate that your project is simple! :D

To clarify, is it simple bended sheet metal body parts with few joins and moving parts or a complex array of joints and mechanisms. Unfortunately for me I think i've really overcomplicated everything and i'm paying for it now in that i'm off my feet running from working on the lathe to etching PCBs and the like.

No need to overcomplicate it really. I assume bought in tracks were used. I still have to do assembly and wiring. Does anyone have recoomodations on wiring as I'm terrible at it!

Best of luck!

Congrats!!

Have you any recomodations for the project have to ask!!!

No need to overcomplicate it really. I assume bought in tracks were used. I still have to do assembly and wiring. Does anyone have recoomodations on wiring as I'm terrible at it!
    Well I still have to do some lathe-work and then some filing and drilling. Then I assemble (Will take a single class considering it's 95% screws) and fabricate my PCB and get it working.

Mine is complicated in the sense it's almost all screw fits so I have to work under very tight tolerances so i've had need to throw away a few parts and as well as that my mechanisms involves linkages and gears which aren't the easiest things to work with. Then I have my electronics, i'm using a servo in my project so I need a PCB to hold the components, i've made three thus far and they've all had minor flaws and had to be scrapped.

That said though my brief's been done since November :D

Well I still have to do some lathe-work and then some filing and drilling. Then I assemble (Will take a single class considering it's 95% screws) and fabricate my PCB and get it working.

Mine is complicated in the sense it's almost all screw fits so I have to work under very tight tolerances so i've had need to throw away a few parts and as well as that my mechanisms involves linkages and gears which aren't the easiest things to work with. Then I have my electronics, i'm using a servo in my project so I need a PCB to hold the components, i've made three thus far and they've all had minor flaws and had to be scrapped.

That said though my brief's been done since November :D

Mine is actually all screw fits too. I used mostly gears for propulsion.
    What's the length of your folio I'm not finished mine well over 45 pages. Recommended Solidworks for drawings too if you know how to use it!

Mine is actually all screw fits too. I used mostly gears for propulsion.
    What's the length of your folio I'm not finished mine well over 45 pages. Recommended Solidworks for drawings too if you know how to use it!

I'm not finished mine either and i'm nearing 50 pages :o

Working drawings e.t.c. have taken up the bulk of my portfolio as you'd imagine.

Just out of curiousity, are you going for anything exotic electronics wise?

I'm not finished mine either and i'm nearing 50 pages :o

Working drawings e.t.c. have taken up the bulk of my portfolio as you'd imagine.

Just out of curiousity, are you going for anything exotic electronics wise?

Not especially...Fairly basic. Have LEDs at the rear and another switch for a headlight. Have a variable resistor for the speed and an emergency stop button to stop all circuits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 mouthforwar93

Anyone think its bullsh*t how the deadline stayed the same although almost all school were closed for a week or two >:(

Advertisement