Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Looks like there's a move on with the Leith roundabout tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

I wonder are there any bookies placing bets on when the bypass will open?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

NOTICE ALL BOY RACERS
    The road by the ITT/Tech park is open [yesterday I think] so you can join all the other racer types blazing along it !

Brrrumm, Brrrrum, Brrruuumm, tssssshhh, Brrrrummm, Buuuurrrrrrrr etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Does anyone else stop the irony with this:

Last week:
    Cycling on the footpath is a heinous and must be stamped out.

Next week:
    Here is lovely new road, we encourage you to cycle on the footpath.

Has Ireland a split-personality disorder ?

MacLondon wrote: »
    Is the walking/cycle path on the same side of the road all the way from Leith to the Castlemaine Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

saw this on youtube - just a short clip on the bypass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyNKClpQOzM

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    saw this on youtube - just a short clip on the bypass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyNKClpQOzM

That's on the section between the Ballygarry roundabout and the new Killarney roundabout, which can be seen as he swings the camera around towards the mountains.

Leith roundabout is now open as of this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Leith roundabout is now open as of this morning.
    And I see OpenStreetMap has been updated! Was it yourself?

serfboard wrote: »
    And I see OpenStreetMap has been updated! Was it yourself?

Nope. Hard enough having the time to update this not to mind update everything else lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jerryqu

Will the builders national two week holiday impact on the opening date of the bypass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

jerryqu wrote: »
    Will the builders national two week holiday impact on the opening date of the bypass?
    Highly unlikely, nearly everyone working with BAM are all agency or subcontractors.

A question I have relating to the leith side of the job, is why was the road realigned just outside where the roundabout is now in 2005(I think)?

I can't remember if the bridge on the northern side was done by Coffeys at the same time, though I don't think it was. Incidentally this bridge was aligned correctly for the current bypass road as it is now.

Seems like a total waste of resources and money as that section is now useless as such, I know its now downgraded to a local road but the original road that was there would have served the same purpose.
    Can anyone shed done definite light on this?

Also its a pity they didn't run the new tar right up over the bridge to meet the good tar on the 2005 N69 realignment job, there's now a section on the bridge that's a few different parts from when the bridge was widened.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

A question I have relating to the leith side of the job, is why was the road realigned just outside where the roundabout is now in 2005(I think)?

I can't remember if the bridge on the northern side was done by Coffeys at the same time, though I don't think it was. Incidentally this bridge was aligned correctly for the current bypass road as it is now.

Seems like a total waste of resources and money as that section is now useless as such, I know its now downgraded to a local road but the original road that was there would have served the same purpose.
    Can anyone shed done definite light on this?

Also its a pity they didn't run the new tar right up over the bridge to meet the good tar on the 2005 N69 realignment job, there's now a section on the bridge that's a few different parts from when the bridge was widened.

That short stretch in question was not finished to a high standard and the land would have had to be acquired for the bypass anyway so the additional cost involved was not unduly large. It was originally intended to locate a car park on this defunct stretch for the benefit of those walking the bypass but the local residents objected so that plan was subsequently shelved.

In any case, when that upgrade was constructed, there was no idea when the bypass would ever go ahead so it made sense to do it as it is/was from a safety point of view.

BTW, am pretty confident now the bypass will open some day next week! :-)

Quackster wrote: »

BTW, am pretty confident now the bypass will open some day next week! :-)

I'd have to agree with this. There's a real feeling of finishing up with the place the last few days.
    Thanks for the reply to my earlier post.

It should also be noted that the old N69 from the new roundabout to Alderwood road just at the bottom of Lahern is now downgraded to an 80Kph road due to the somewhat idiotic(to my mind) dual speed limits introduced sometime back in this country. The 80Kph signs are up on the way into town, but the 100Kph signs still stand on the way out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

It should also be noted that the old N69 from the new roundabout to Alderwood road just at the bottom of Lahern is now downgraded to an 80Kph road due to the somewhat idiotic(to my mind) dual speed limits introduced sometime back in this country. The 80Kph signs are up on the way into town, but the 100Kph signs still stand on the way out.....

Any news on the old farmers bridge being re-opened on completion of the bypass?. Rumour flying about that it is.

The old N69 will be 80kph in both directions (all the signage isn't up yet). Regardless of signage, it's still legally 100kph in both directions until it's officially downgraded to regional road status. I do think though the narrow windy stretch should have been reduced to 80kph years ago - it's extremely dangerous with the numerous private accesses. For this reason I would disagree with the decision to continue to direct N69 traffic to/from Oakpark via the old road. It will be interesting to see if much of this traffic transfers to the bypass regardless.

Any news on the old farmers bridge being re-opened on completion of the bypass?. Rumour flying about that it is.

The short stretch of road from Farmer's Bridge to the new N22 will open with the rest of the project this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

The short stretch of road from Farmer's Bridge to the new N22 will open with the rest of the project this week.

Yes, there's a very finished look to the roads visible from the roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Yeah I knew that, but what I am on about is the old road before the bypass construction, you could turn at skehanagh cross (could never spell it) and it will take you straight to farmers bridge, people used to take that road as shortcut to killarney/castlemaine/Killorglan.

• Advertisement

Yeah I knew that, but what I am on about is the old road before the bypass construction, you could turn at skehanagh cross (could never spell it) and it will take you straight to farmers bridge, people used to take that road as shortcut to killarney/castlemaine/Killorglan.

I think that's just a dead end now. If you want to take the 'short cut' you must take the bypass from Skehanagh to the new Killarney roundabout, take the second exit there, then take the next left on the new Killarney road where the old farmers bridge road was. Then Robert is your fathers brother!

Exactly, the road from Skehanagh will end at the entrance to Mitchell's. And the old middle section with the entrance to Ballyseedy Wood will also be a cul de sac, accessible from a junction on the new N22.

I think that's just a dead end now. If you want to take the 'short cut' you must take the bypass from Skehanagh to the new Killarney roundabout, take the second exit there, then take the next left on the new Killarney road where the old farmers bridge road was. Then Robert is your fathers brother!

One minor correction, once on the new N22 it's the next right you want to be taking to get to Farmer's Bridge. The next left will take you onto said cul de sac to Ballyseedy Wood and no further! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 conjollins

Jogged the Ballybeggan to ballgarry section tonight. Barring some landscaping, wind breaks, etc looks like it's practically there. Opening must be imminent! Exciting times

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

conjollins wrote: »
    Jogged the Ballybeggan to ballgarry section tonight. Barring some landscaping, wind breaks, etc looks like it's practically there. Opening must be imminent! Exciting times

I understand that getting CIE to "sign off" on a bridge is now the biggest block to the road opening soon.
    Or is this another urban myth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

What's the story with cycling on it - Would there be any issue in the evening going from Leith across to Ballygary or would they still be working on it in the evenings?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

The road is closed and as such ordinary members of the public are probably trespassing when walking and cycling on the closed sections.

Great view from the garda ramp on the Leith to Ballybeggan section all the same :D

Wonder how much it saves putting in the cheese slicers between both sides of the road instead of a small wall..Bikers hate to see those slicers!

xxyyzz wrote: »
    What's the story with cycling on it - Would there be any issue in the evening going from Leith across to Ballygary or would they still be working on it in the evenings?

Iv done the lot of it at this stage a few times. Lots of people cycle it and walk it of an evening.
    Yes it is trespassing, but don't do anything stupid and it's not exactly crime of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Iv done the lot of it at this stage a few times. Lots of people cycle it and walk it of an evening.
    Yes it is trespassing, but don't do anything stupid and it's not exactly crime of the century.

Took a blast down it this evening from Leith to the killorglin road. Got some great speed. The surface is fantastic, the skaters would love it. I'm less than impressed with the cycle lane though, it looks a bit bumpy. It might be okay for climbing in the leith direction but I wouldn't fancy going at it at speed. All in all, it's a hell of a job they did.

• Advertisement

After commenting on this some months ago I have stayed silent on this since but reluctantly feel its time to bring it up again.
    Any of the various Facebook pages on the bypass have pictures that have been stolen from here by another poster on here. Why there are so many of them half finished I have no idea.
    They are nothing to do with me even though I have been asked about my 'Facebook bypass page' by a few people.

This was the tipping point.

I have no Facebook page(s) on the Tralee bypass.

I haven't opened any other page or thread apart from this one on the subject, there was no need, everything that I have taken has been posted here and only posted here.
    Besides all that, it's blatantly obvious that the pictures on the FB page have been taken from here due to the watermarking and dates. Hardly needs explaining that!

Despite repeated requests that he stop stealing everything that's been posted on here he has continued to do so.
    He doesn't work for BAM, even though he says he does on the page(s)

Anyway, i digress, I'm just making the point that any picture of mine that you see anywhere else other than on here has been plagiarized.
    Thank you.

Advertisement