Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Is there a special machine or some sort of punch device that drills the tar for the post inserts? They are oval in shape, not circular.

Yeah it's a small little track rubber tracked drill rig. Very neat little toy !!!

There still quite optimistic for opening on the 25th. Was on site today and it looks like there is still a lot to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

There does seem to be quite a bit left, but still, its nothing that can't be turned around in a few weeks I'm sure.

When you say the tar plant is being dismantled, is part of it, or just the concrete plant gone already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Would laying tar not be affected by the heat we have had the last week?

I travelled the castleisland to listowel road today via lyracrompane, and the council were relaying a section. I have to say I wouldn't be too confident about the finish.

The chips were flying off the surface, on what seemed to be a base of pure mush. Is it not too hot for this kind of work?

There does seem to be quite a bit left, but still, its nothing that can't be turned around in a few weeks I'm sure.

When you say the tar plant is being dismantled, is part of it, or just the concrete plant gone already?

The contrete/cbm plant was taken down weeks ago. The tar plant has been in place since.

The tar guys are working through the weekend to finish what they can. There's actually a crane onsite at the moment ready to dismantle the plant. There will probably be a few bits left to tar after the plant goes but I assume they'll just haul it in locally.

The tar paver and the men laying the tar will prob stick around for another bit I'd say. Lagans have the overall tar contract including the tar plant but they've sub contracted on the laying to 3rd party company McManus Bros, a large team or foreign nationals that really know there stuff. Certainly didn't envy them today laying tar in this weather.

I'd say the mean reason for it to go is there isn't any chips left to make any more onsite tar what ever was crushed has now been used up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I travelled the castleisland to listowel road today via lyracrompane, and the council were relaying a section. I have to say I wouldn't be too confident about the finish.

The chips were flying off the surface, on what seemed to be a base of pure mush. Is it not too hot for this kind of work?

It's already more dangerous than the bolivian road of death. There's nothing that even kerry county council could do to make it worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

Fire brigade and Gardai were getting a tour today.

Anybody know if the cycle lane will stretch the whole length of the bypass or just Leith to Balygarry?

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Anybody know if the cycle lane will stretch the whole length of the bypass or just Leith to Balygarry?

It's stretches the length of the main dual carriageway section. The single carraigeway for the Killarney road tie in doesn't have pedestrian or cycle track.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 jerryqu

Is the road half open already?
    At 6pm I waved out a local farmer driving his tractor and round bailer
    onto the Ballygarry rab who had tipped in from the Camp direction, avoiding, very handily, the usual 6pm snarl up at county buildings.
    Tacit permission in place for on-line local residents perhaps..

jerryqu wrote: »
    Is the road half open already?
    At 6pm I waved out a local farmer driving his tractor and round bailer
    onto the Ballygarry rab who had tipped in from the Camp direction, avoiding, very handily, the usual 6pm snarl up at county buildings.
    Tacit permission in place for on-line local residents perhaps..
    I met a guy on a motorbike on it this week when walking it, and saw some old '50s pickup truck parked on it too near the college.
    So they are getting in somewhere?!

• Advertisement

I met a guy on a motorbike on it this week when walking it, and saw some old '50s pickup truck parked on it too near the college.
    So they are getting in somewhere?!

I know that there is def a farm on that side of things that may have special permission. Moynihans allowed Bam access through there farm for a long time while construction was taking place. It was a short cut when you couldn't exit onto the gallys road or the farmers bridge road. His farm is just on the lidl side of the new junction on farmers bridge road. It allowed trucks and engineers access to the Killarney tie in without having to double back through manor traffic. Bam are also constructing him a new entrance to his farm on the new road.

A number of farmers would have been crossing the bypass during construction as there land has now been split during cumpolsory purchase orders. The underpasses and entrances to farms are only being finished as we speak.

There were several other like situations throughout the project. Some farmers and land owners loaned land for stock piling earth in return they got a new fields levelled and seeded and possibly other perks too.

Some of these may and prob still have special permission they'd be we'll known by the engineers and crew working there at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Carchaeologist should be the main person to officially open the New Bypass.

This thread which I have followed since inception has been a wonderful project in itself.

I cannot imagine the amount of personal hours taken up documenting the progress and updating photographs.

Thank you Carchaeologist for this wonderful thread.

I am really looking forward to the opening of the bypass and the benefits it will bring to Tralee town and its environs.

Well done to Bam and all the teams involved in the construction of this fantastic project.

Sincerely,

delthedriver:)

Carchaeologist should be the main person to officially open the New Bypass.

As everyone there is saying 'Who the F##k is that guy, where's Jackie Healy Rae?!'
    I'm sure there will be many politicians queuing up to be in the pictures of that event. I'm only a humble Internet blogger, possibly with too much time on my hands!
    I did suggest to Padraig Corkery that I could arrange a few old cars fir photos and to do a parade lap of the bypass so to speak, but I heard nothing back.
    Either way, it will be great to see it open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

Has there been an official opening date announced yet?

Thanks to traleespud for his excellent insight over the last while. Its great to read it.:cool:

Thanks to traleespud for his excellent insight over the last while. Its great to read it.:cool:

To be honest I'm sorry I didn't try and do a bit more!!

I was lucky enough to get on site over the last two years(ish) at various stages for work purposes. Never really had time to take many photos unfortunately.

The few pics I did manage to take I found it hard because when men are working on the ground, they don't appreciate having the photos taken too much!!!

BAM are extremely safety conscious, a picture surfacing of an employee without hard hat, safety glasses or hi vis as a minimum could result in a serious roasting.

Having said that they have taken thousands of pictures and video of the project themselves. BAM have safety officers and engineers who's job it is to go around documenting the project. Halcrow Barry (Kerry Co Co representatives on site) and ARUP (BAMS Designer) also take a huge amount of pictures!!! The thing with these guys is the everyone knows there jeeps and and can be seen coming a mile off so if your not wearing safety glasses at the time you get em on before the jeep arrives!!! :D

As an example the guys in the diesel lorry have to take a picture of every machine they fill every day!!!! And every machine get filled EVERY day !!! Thinks there's still about 45+ machines on site at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

traleespud wrote: »
    As an example the guys in the diesel lorry have to take a picture of every machine they fill every day!!!! And every machine get filled EVERY day !!! Thinks there's still about 45+ machines on site at the moment.

Whats the purpose of this ?? Is it just to prove they were filled ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

BAM did issue a few periodic update journals about the progress of the road with some great aerial shots etc up to about last year. I wonder why they stopped as it's a pity further updates were not issued although the updates on this thread more than compensated!

555guy wrote: »
    Whats the purpose of this ?? Is it just to prove they were filled ?

Not 100% sure ! Id say BAM themselves and the guys in the diesel lorry aren't even too sure. AFAIK the picture is to take in the machine and also its location. I think it's to do with back charging the machine hire company. BAM actually own very little machinery on site and most of it including the driver are hired in. So ya I guess it's to prove it was filled but also picture evidence of its location and what the machine was doing on that particular day !!!

ongarboy wrote: »
    BAM did issue a few periodic update journals about the progress of the road with some great aerial shots etc up to about last year. I wonder why they stopped as it's a pity further updates were not issued although the updates on this thread more than compensated!

Some fantastic aeriel pics in the site office. It's disappointing that the PR dept in Kerry Co Co didn't take more of an interest.

• Advertisement

traleespud wrote: »
    Some fantastic aeriel pics in the site office. It's disappointing that the PR dept in Kerry Co Co didn't take more of an interest.

I saw those the day I was in there for the press day. I wanted to steal them.

No, seriously, I really did. Really comprehensive. Unfortunately I can't afford an aeroplane. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 conjollins

The road from the ballybeggan roundabout to the IT is open - just drove it now :-)

conjollins wrote: »
    The road from the ballybeggan roundabout to the IT is open - just drove it now :-)

Were you the guy with the barriers hanging off the back of your car? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MacLondon

Is it right to assume that the old (Ballybeggan) road has been closed now that the new road to the IT is open?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 conjollins

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Were you the guy with the barriers hanging off the back of your car? :P
    Careering over the road - daisy duke beside me! :D

the old ballybeggan road is blocked off now on the roundabout side so I presume this is now permanent

Just drove the new bit of the road in ballybeggan, sweet! New junction up to the tech park is open also.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭sudaltsov

it is really teasing! just one stretch only!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jonfiz

Wonder why it was necessary to close the existing old Ballybeggan road?

Having all the traffic heading for Clash passing the Fabric and Furniture centre on to an already dangerous T junction seems a little strange.

Wonder will they change the priority on that junction and put a new stop sign with the locals giving right of way to traffic coming down the hill turning right.

Really enjoyed the thread, thanks to everyone involved....sorry my contribution is a bit of a rant :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Does anybody know when the bypass is due to open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Does anybody know when the bypass is due to open?

Walked most of the Bypass on Saturday last-in my "laymans"opinion theres still 3/4 weeks work ahead before opening

Advertisement