Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N69/N22/N70 Tralee Bypass

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Carch whats your real name if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Carch whats your real name if you dont mind me asking?

I do. PMs are available for off topic chat.

Will there be anywhere to get a cost breakdown of the entire job afterwards?
    Would be very interesting to see what the various sections cost.
    Or is it not for public viewing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Will there be anywhere to get a cost breakdown of the entire job afterwards?
    Would be very interesting to see what the various sections cost.
    Or is it not for public viewing!

Since were paying for it I would hope so!

Old N69 road being covered over this week as part of the Leith end landscaping job. View towards Tralee..
    IMG_9762_zpsa7f9d822.jpg

And the View back out towards Leith, both of the older roads previous to the new one can be seen here. I recorded videos of driving both of them, one in 2005 just prior to the first realingnment, and the other more recently before the roundabout was constructed. Must put them on the Toob at some stage..if I can be arsed finding them..
    IMG_9763_zps8d67f6f4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Are they just covering it over? Do they not drill holes in it or anything to let roots through?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Are they just covering it over? Do they not drill holes in it or anything to let roots through?

Hardly a need, it's only grass growing on top, what roots that are there wouldn't be that big as to need drilling. There is a good couple of feet of soil in the area I took that pic anyway.
    The old road previous was just covered and that was that.
    Maybe some future archaeologist will wet his pants at such a well preserved example of KCC work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

What are the odds of this road opening in the next couple of days. Festival approaching and it would be a real shame for it not to be open for it.

What are the odds of this road opening in the next couple of days. Festival approaching and it would be a real shame for it not to be open for it.

Time is a tickin' indeed.
    Agreed, it would be a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Great thread here folks, I'd say deep down a lot of ye will be secretly dissapointed when the bypass does open!
    Anyway I'm just wondering does anyone know what the road will be called? Will some of it be N22 or N69 or is it being given a new number?

Thanks for a great read!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Great thread here folks, I'd say deep down a lot of ye will be secretly dissapointed when the bypass does open!
    Anyway I'm just wondering does anyone know what the road will be called? Will some of it be N22 or N69 or is it being given a new number?

Thanks for a great read!

I think it should be named Carchaeologist Avenue;)

I think it should be named Carchaeologist Avenue;)

Lol, less of that Del Boy!
    I'm only an amatuer photographer with an interest in local record keeping. No more, no less.
    I didn't cure cancer with this thread!

Kevwoody wrote: »

Thanks for a great read!

Not problem. Glad it was interesting for ya.. Not finished just yet though...
    The Leith to Ballygarry will be the N69, offhand without referencing previous postings here I can't remember the other sections designations, it's too late, I'm too tired and lazy to thread hunt. :-)

It's been a brilliant thread. Very informative. Well done. You have given so much of your time and the photographs have just brought it all to life for us. Go raibh mile maith agat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Bypass is officially opening on Friday August 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Not problem. Glad it was interesting for ya.. Not finished just yet though...
    The Leith to Ballygarry will be the N69, offhand without referencing previous postings here I can't remember the other sections designations, it's too late, I'm too tired and lazy to thread hunt. :-)

great thread - well done carchaelologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭ainiseoir

Stinicker wrote: »
    The Bypass is officially opening on Friday August 16th.
    I wonder if it will open unofficially before that.
    I saw an impressive collection of the (in)famous port-a-loos on a low loader pulled on by the Ballyseedy Wood entrance early this am.
    That would suggest that they are about to pick up the traffic cones and let us check the road out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Well done everyone, great thread - a well-documented project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

ainiseoir wrote: »
    I wonder if it will open unofficially before that.
    I saw an impressive collection of the (in)famous port-a-loos on a low loader pulled on by the Ballyseedy Wood entrance early this am.
    That would suggest that they are about to pick up the traffic cones and let us check the road out.

According to Raidio na Gaeltachta the bypass will be officially opened at noon on Friday by Jimmy Deenihan (accompanied by many local "luminaries" no doubt) so it's unlikely they'll allow anything onto it before that.

It must have been all that pressure we put on here. We know your watching Jimmy. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Was speaking with a contractor from the bypass this morn and he reckons it'll be a Thursday opening but officially with political heads and media etc on Friday!!!

There prob waiting for the rose tour bus to make the first trip along it!!!!! ; )

traleespud wrote: »
    Was speaking with a contractor from the bypass this morn and he reckons it'll be a Thursday opening but officially with political heads and media etc on Friday!!!

There prob waiting for the rose tour bus to make the first trip along it!!!!! ; )

Friday is D Day alright. Should be a good one!
    Pity the poor guy who has to clean all the grey paint off the signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Great news alright!

AA Roadwatch are saying it will be open to the public from 2pm on Friday.

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Was thinking the exact same thing re grey paint!!! What a B***S of a job to face!!!! And it's not even as simple as jumping out of a van and giving them a quick wipe beacuse alot of them are high up, most needing a mini hoist or a ladder at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Yeah saw that, there's a few around the Skehanagh roundabout which have been like that for the last month.I did think it was vandalism but then i spotted another sign on the way into Tralee on the Listowel road today and wondered was it done by someone working for BAM.

Was there many more spray painted?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Carch, as a blow-in I congratulate you on the updates and especially the pics.

Hope people appreciate the time and effort you put into it.

They should name a roundabout after you;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 A1 Dan

We cycled the entire new road last evening. It's great.
    But..
    I must say I'm disappointed at how narrow the two way pedestrian/cycle lane is. In my opinion it is dangerous and will cause problems, forcing most cyclists to use the roadway. Not a good idea.
    First the cobbled cycle lane on the fat mile and now a head to head between cyclists and pedestrians on the new bypass - someone in Kerry Co.Co. does not like bikes!!!
    (P.S. not a single official place to park a bike in all of Tralee, a.f.a.i.k.
    Rant over!)

Yeah saw that, there's a few around the Skehanagh roundabout which have been like that for the last month.I did think it was vandalism but then i spotted another sign on the way into Tralee on the Listowel road today and wondered was it done by someone working for BAM.

Was there many more spray painted?

Every sign that pointed onto a closed road was covered over to avoid people getting confused with directions. Makes sense really.
    I'm not sure what sort of paint it is, must be easily removed with thinners or some such or they will be there for ever cleaning it off al the signs!'

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Morebypasses

Can someone clarify if you can join the bypass from the clash road or is it that you can only exit the bypass on to the clash road?? Drove past new roundabout in Ballinorig yesterday and it would appear the latter is the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Every sign that pointed onto a closed road was covered over to avoid people getting confused with directions. Makes sense really.
    I'm not sure what sort of paint it is, must be easily removed with thinners or some such or they will be there for ever cleaning it off al the signs!'

It's a special masking spray that doesn't require anything only a cloth and a bit of elbow grease!

Advertisement