Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Downloads very slow (tethering)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

yeah hopefully they aren't throtteling it. How legal would that be if there were?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Just got my 8mb UPC installed last week. Up until then I was with Irish broadband and using Rapidshare. RS account ran out the same time as I changed providers so got a HF one instead. The first few days were a dream now I'm getting max speeds of 50kb/s from Hotfile. I can do simultaneous downloads that all come in at 50 (whereas before it'd split the connection over the downloads). Hopefully this is just a temp glitch with hotfile and UPC aren't throttling....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

HF is a crap nothing else ,Too many people change now from Rs to HF but they not changing anything with servers capacity or stream permeability.

It's definately on HF end.
    I still max out with RS, yet HF is consistently ****!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I dont think it's a hotfile error for me.. as my download speeds are better today getting about 1MB/s --- when i run a speed test on speedtest.net it's about 8MBs on a 15MB line.. So the download on speed test matches the HF download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Glad to see Im not the only one with this problem :(

I'm currently having speed problems with both hotfile and megaupload. At first I instantly thought it was a UPC thing as I've been using these services for a couple of years now and have always been able to max out my connection.

It's pretty **** to pay for these services and only get a fraction of what you should.

Is the general consensus that rapidshare is the most reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

im also having problems with downloading from hotfile..im livin rathmines...is this a upc issue or is it the weather or why is this anyone know...?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rmcrawte

I'm just off the phone with UPC. They promised me a call back yesterday after I was speaking to an agent on Thursday evening and they escalated the problem. They told me today that it is not them that is causing the problem. They said they are not throttling hotfile.

I did the same test I did back in October when I had this problem. I tethered my iphone and downloaded a hotfile link at 300kbps. I then switched back to upc and downloaded the same file and was back to aout 50-60kbps.

So it is a combination of upc and hotfile and very difficult to know which side the problem lies on.

I will contact hotfile but they never appear to respond to queries. Howver the problem did get fixed last time so if enough people contact both of them, it might get looked at.

still the same today..might go back to rapidshare or maybe try fileserve or megaupload..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Today i was downloading from hotfile

I was downloading 20 files ( all different links) each link was getting about 80-100 KB/sec So i stopped 15 of the downloads leaving just 5 thinking they would all move up to about 350-400KB/sec each but they didn't they all stayed at 80-100kn/sec !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭nani17

same here getting stuff from hotfile and it's so slow.

might try a different dl manager

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Hotfile is downloading at 29KB/s max... even with just one file.

UPC must be doing something

i was up at 5 tis morning and i was downloading at full speed.now at 10 tis morning its back to crap speed :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Mentioned this before in this thread , but was able to test again here today, was at my partents place there over the weekend on a vodafone home bb connection 600kb down with HF , now I'm back here in Dublin I'm getting 50kb mas on UPC :mad:

Speedtest that I ran even with my HF download running gave me a solid ping and 20mbps download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Same here - Rapidshare files flying down, but my premium hotfile account is transfering at 50k!

...for some time now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

UPC 30M service for HF 100m size - time left 30 minutes
    IBB 2M service for HF 100m size - time left 8 minutes

Defo someting wrong with UPC network !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Truth be told, I've found UPC very good in terms of volume download for quite a while now... But maybe things have changed.

I might be wrong, but I assume a provider would simply "start" tethering but never admit it - correct?! .ie - we don't have any comeback as customers?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

how man people have actually complained about this?

send a complaint to UPC and post their reply up here to see how many different excuses you can get together. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

My Megaupload/Fileserve worked fine in JDownloader today, Hotfile (premium) was sh!te as always, Megaupload had slowed down for a while but they seem to be have been doing a facelift which is finished now & speeds are ok, There is some weird issiue with hotfile & cable bb providers I think (People in UK on virgin seem to be having problems also last time I checked), try switching to Fileserve, as popular as hotfile and been going well for me lately

Nick

OK i got a loan of an O2 USB modem from work.

UPC hotfile 29KB/s
    O2 hotfile 98KB/s

Its not Hotfile thats the problem. going to call UPC now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Stevo105 wrote: »
    OK i got a loan of an O2 USB modem from work.

UPC hotfile 29KB/s
    O2 hotfile 98KB/s

Its not Hotfile thats the problem. going to call UPC now

UPC are denying its them, and tbh I would believe them. Something interesting to note is people in other countries on Cable broadband seem to also be having the issiue, this Google Search shows that on the cable forum second result many people on cable bb seem to be having the issiue with hotfile, I downloaded from both fileserve and megaupload today, and while megaupload was slow for a few days it seems quick enough now, I think there is a weird problem with hotfile and cable providers, could this be technically possible would someone with more knowledge be able shed a light?

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 alf15

I'm having the same problem with Megaupload. My download speeds are max 80-100kb/s with a premium account for the past week now. Before that i was downloading files at 2-4mb/s?

Are UPC throttlling downloads from the big file storage sites to prevent illegal downloding of films etc??

Also i have only had this problem since the cold weather? Would the sub zero temps be effecting the cables?

My speedtest came back this, which seems perfect:
    1059923181.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Noticing UPC is extremely slow tonight

Even youtube is stuttering on low res videos. Tried resetting the modem already (which sometimes "cures" my upc line when it goes slow)

1060130602.png

Edit:

Odd tonight... browsing slow, speed tests slow, youtube slow
    Iso file from heanet 800kb/s - so not everything is slow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yoyo wrote: »
    I think there is a weird problem with hotfile and cable providers, could this be technically possible would someone with more knowledge be able shed a light?
    it *shouldn't* do, but you'd need someone more networky to confirm that for sure.

from my (admittedly limited, i'm not a network guru) knowledge of the OSI model and its mysterious inner working, at the physical layer it's all (quite literally) just ones and zero's and the media it is being transported on should see no difference in any type of data transmission, be it tcp or udp, p2p, http, video streaming, direct downloads via rapidshare or anything else, it just doesn't care what it is at that level or treat any one type of data any differently.

its not until it gets to layer 3 & 4 that it even looks at what the data actually is and how to treat it, and at those levels it has gotten to the point that it doesn't know or care what media type its being sent over.

at least that's what i think.

maybe i should just go and get watty. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This happened before didnt it? How long did it take to clear up that time? I just bought a 6 month HF sub FFS. Im also wondering if its something to do with the big freeze.

Absolutely flying tonight, touching 3 megs at times for me in Galway suburbs, well done whoever complained, if the problem was with UPC that is.

my hotfile speeds where a max of 26kb/s last night :(

Just got a call back from UPC(India). I was told that the problem is fixed. I asked what ws the problem and i was told that teher was an issue in my area.

I asked him how an issue in my area can just effect hotfile.com .He wasnt aware that was the problem.

I told him what the problem was again, then i asked him to readout what the description he had for the call. "hotline website download speed" what a tosser

Spoke too soon, back to 50kb/s per link, balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,938 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Maxing speed out now with Hotfile............first time in a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 rience

In JDownloader:
    - change Max. Conn to 20
    - change Max. Downloads to i.e. 4

Overall speed will be > 1Mb/s

It looks like UPC or HF is shaping traffic per download request.

Advertisement