Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Downloads very slow (tethering)

Options
  • 12-10-2010 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

I already tested the downloads on the new ubuntu distro and got nearly 4meg but when I download from hotfile(have premium account) I am barely getting 300kbs
    Do I need to change something in the router settings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

are upc traffic shaping downloads?
    can I use port forwarding like people use for torrents to correct this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

same here, extremly slow speeds.
    15MB UPC getting 225KB/s dl speeds should be 1.5mb/s

I was talking to the tech support and they couldn't figure it out although he did try for
    nearly an hour.
    I hope I'm not going to be stuck at these speeds
    Went and downloaded Kubuntu at nearly 4mb per second but any hotfile link is very slow and the same links are
    coming down at full speed when I use my eircom bb 1.67mb

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

getting the very same issue and downloaded a microsoft file at 3.2mb so its just hotfile for me at the moment driving me nuts:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Hotfile is one of the slower pay for hosts, even with a dl manager single files download at slow speeds, only when doing several links you'll hit the full download bandwidth, doesnt happen with megaupload for me so its probably hotfile

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Hotfile is one of the slower pay for hosts, even with a dl manager single files download at slow speeds, only when doing several links you'll hit the full download bandwidth, doesnt happen with megaupload for me so its probably hotfile

Nick

Sorry but you're wrong.
    I tried the same set of links (Single link each time) with both Eircom and UPC
    UPC very limited download speed
    Eircom full speed

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Same here

my upc download speed test is coming up at 1/3rd of what it usually is. i wonder are they working on a fault somewhere??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Sorry but you're wrong.
    I tried the same set of links (Single link each time) with both Eircom and UPC
    UPC very limited download speed
    Eircom full speed

Weird one, megaupload & when I had it rapidshare never had problems, and my UPC bb gets full results on speedtest.net:
    987973026.png, Since getting Hotfile I've noticed its always slower than the other 2, doesnt make sense why though. I didnt think hotfile maxed out my parents 7meg eircom broadband when I used it over there, but their internet connection is nothing short of appalling especially in the evenings, more so with the ngb crap

Edit: looking at your previous post you said the hotfile link maxed out the 2meg eircom line, I wonder does hotfile secretly limit the bandwidth you can get downloading from their servers, I dont see why UPC would shape hotfile traffic, when rapidshare and megaupload go full whack, there also as popular

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bestie

UPC is awful for me tonight in Rathfarnham, think its a DNS issue as downloads (once started are fine and test well on speedtest) but loading pages via browser is just painful..

Changed to Opendns.net ip addresses and appears to have fixed it for now..

gosh UPC come on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Id say there is some DNS issues at the moment. Same issues with me

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spankmaster

Have been using hotfile for a few months with UPC with no problem - very fast downloads. Now over the past 2 or 3 days I cant download anything with hotfile, well i can but its extremely slow - 20kb/ps and im on a 15mb unlimited package.

Can upc legally deliberately restrict sites such as hotfile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Hotfile users have been complaining of slow speeds recently.

seems to be better today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I've been getting slow speeds in general the past week or two, I would say its mostly likely to DNS issues or work on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Ya same here i was trying to us HF yesterday and was only getting 300kbs,, But back to normal now.

still slow for me

crap speeds again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Aye4, same here. Speeds fluctuating from 20Kbps to 40Kbps.

On UPC and going spare...

Is this a UPC issue or a hotfile issue?

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Having same problems with rapidshare. Not as slow though.

Down to between 200KB/s and 300KB/s from 3.7MB/s on the 30meg package.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

I have the same issue here with DNS. Pages take a good +20 seconds to load. Basically the "lookup" process takes 18 seconds, and then the page loads fine in 2 seconds or less. Performing a speed test renders the same result, 15/30 seconds before anything happens, and then a ping reply of 18ms, and full upload and download rates!

Been going on like this for some time now, anyone have an idea of what's going on at UPC? Will flick my router over to opendns in a minute and test that out.

these speeds are disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ipnface

In the recent court case between UPC and EMI it was stated in the judgment that downloads are throttled to one third of the speed in the evenings on certain downloads:

"The current policy is based on a general shaping of peer-to-peer traffic. This uses different levels for upstream and downstream. The shaping is applied to the total aggregated traffic and is not targeted at any individual user. The thresholds are statistically defined and can be changed through input. This shaping is applied to peer-to-peer traffic, to reduce its potential for domination of the network, during peak hours for computer usage which are daily from 17.00 to 24.00. In off peak hours, which coincide in part with business hours, no shaping occurs. "

ipnface wrote: »
    In the recent court case between UPC and EMI it was stated in the judgment that downloads are throttled to one third of the speed in the evenings on certain downloads:

"The current policy is based on a general shaping of peer-to-peer traffic. This uses different levels for upstream and downstream. The shaping is applied to the total aggregated traffic and is not targeted at any individual user. The thresholds are statistically defined and can be changed through input. This shaping is applied to peer-to-peer traffic, to reduce its potential for domination of the network, during peak hours for computer usage which are daily from 17.00 to 24.00. In off peak hours, which coincide in part with business hours, no shaping occurs. "

In my case, this has nothing to do with UPC shaping. It is in fact DNS related. I have just changed the nameservers on my router to OpenDNS, and the result is undeniable! Page loads and requests are snappy and quick.

If you are having issues with ALL internet related access, not just specific sites, try changing your DNS settings and reboot your router. Worked a treat for me!

Didn't work for me

Actually it definitely seems to be traffic shaping
    Hotfile and some of the other hosts are being shaped.
    Anybody here whos having problems go to ubuntu and you will get a full speed download.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

This is nothing to do with hotfile. I've had the same problems as ye for the last couple of days and I don't even use a pc.

I download demos and games on my ps3 and 360 and browse via iPad and iPhone and it's been a total joke - I ran speedtest app though and it says everything is hunky dory.

Webpages and YouTube take ages to load. Seems ok this morning but when I rang last night the dude checked my line and found no problems but they must know about this by now?

If ye have the same problem again today will ye ring up please so they pass it on?

Get0fix wrote: »
    In my case, this has nothing to do with UPC shaping. It is in fact DNS related. I have just changed the nameservers on my router to OpenDNS, and the result is undeniable! Page loads and requests are snappy and quick.

If you are having issues with ALL internet related access, not just specific sites, try changing your DNS settings and reboot your router. Worked a treat for me!

For the non techies here... can you explain how to do this and what it does exactly?

OmegaRed wrote: »
    For the non techies here... can you explain how to do this and what it does exactly?

DNS is the service that resolves hostnames to IP addresses.
    In laymans: Everything connected to the internet has an IP address (Eg. 173.194.36.104) however no one could possibly remember those, so we assign them names like Google.ie. DNS is the service that goes and finds the IP address associated to Google.ie and reports it back to your device (Xbox/Pc/Mac). Once your device knows the IP address, it can start communicating.

I made my changes directly on my router, which worked a treat. However, I wouldnt try this unless you have had some prior experience with soho routers.

If you use windows, you can go try the following (taken directly from Microsoft Website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305553):

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
    1. Right-click the network connection that you want to configure, and then click Properties.
    2. On the General tab (for a local area connection), or the Networking tab (for all other connections), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties
    3. If you want to manually configure DNS server addresses, click Use the following DNS server addresses, and then type the preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server IP addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server boxes.
    The OpenDNS server addresses that you should enter in Step 3 are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Click OK all the way out, give your pc a few seconds to make the changes and try surfing a few pages.

Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Get0fix wrote: »
    DNS is the service that resolves hostnames to IP addresses.
    In laymans: Everything connected to the internet has an IP address (Eg. 173.194.36.104) however no one could possibly remember those, so we assign them names like Google.ie. DNS is the service that goes and finds the IP address associated to Google.ie and reports it back to your device (Xbox/Pc/Mac). Once your device knows the IP address, it can start communicating.

I made my changes directly on my router, which worked a treat. However, I wouldnt try this unless you have had some prior experience with soho routers.

If you use windows, you can go try the following (taken directly from Microsoft Website http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305553):

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
    1. Right-click the network connection that you want to configure, and then click Properties.
    2. On the General tab (for a local area connection), or the Networking tab (for all other connections), click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties
    3. If you want to manually configure DNS server addresses, click Use the following DNS server addresses, and then type the preferred DNS server and alternate DNS server IP addresses in the Preferred DNS server and Alternate DNS server boxes.
    The OpenDNS server addresses that you should enter in Step 3 are 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Click OK all the way out, give your pc a few seconds to make the changes and try surfing a few pages.

Hope this helps.

Great, thanks mate, i'll try that when i get home later.

Advertisement