Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Downloads very slow (tethering)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spankmaster

My UPC 15mb unlimited works great for browsing and everything, but when I download a file from hotfile, its restricting it to 11-20kb/ps which basically means I cant download anything from hotfile.

Its definitely specific to hotfile.

Its the evening now, and i just started downloading the ubuntu operating system (around 800mbs) and it will be downloaded in 6mins.

Just started a hotfile download of a file sized 174mbs, and it says it will take 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

i know, its definetly only specific to hf and rs so iv heard from asking friends

So what are UPC up to? Or does anyone know what we can do about it? Surely they can't just selectively decide to restrict customers from using certain sites for legitimate file storage and sharing...

i was onto them and the plum i was talking too kept getting me to run the download test on there website, then saying that all was ok

I havent even bothered ringing them yet, if thats all theyre saying then thats not much help. I ran that download test, sure we all have fine speeds if were on 'UPC unlimited' but its just not on the sites that we need them on the most!

• Advertisement

we all need to ring them, he said no one else reported the issue.

if everyone here rings then they will have to look into it

its a freefone munber 1908

ring them and lets get this sorted

after doing a few tests, it seems this is a HF issue. can anyone confirm if RS is workign at normal speeds

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

AdrianII wrote: »
    after doing a few tests, it seems this is a HF issue. can anyone confirm if RS is workign at normal speeds

It wasn't but is flying this evening.

that clears that up. its defo a hotfile issue

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

that clears that up. its defo a hotfile issue
    It isn't a HF issue:rolleyes:
    I stil have my Eircom connection and that downloads at full speed from HF where upc doesn't when I connect their modem

• Advertisement

upc have told me they aint throttling anything as it would cause uproar

This may sound strange, but I use chrome on mac, and i tried downloading the same file ive been trying to download on hotfile using firefox, and its downloading a lot faster.

On chrome it was taking 6 hours... but now on firefox its scheduled for 13 mins. 174mb file....

so it could be a browser issue? sounds crazy i know...

nope doesnt matter
    i have tried safari, IE, firefox

i got one 400mb file down in 6 minutes, but everything else is crawling between 0kb and 10kb, now its even timing out

FFS:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Speed has been terrible for the last two evenings from UPC. Pages failing to load, youtube videos not completing. Missing images on webpages.

Its a pain. Seems to be worse tonight. And intermittent.

I called them and they said someone else had also reported a problem in the D24 area. Hope they get it sorted soon. Its very frustrating.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Two identical files 1.4g in size, first off, from HF max speed is 540kbps, same file from RS, constant speed of 1.75mb. Without doubt something is going on with HF and UPC. I'm using jdownloader and download managed for the HT file, and Rapidshares own download manger for the RS file by the way

Also on 15MB package here in Waterford City

max 540kb id be happy with that at this stage.

im getting 20kb at the minute

definetly something fishy going on

the best I can get is about 170
    very erratic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Posted this in the other thread on Comp and Tech

Speed test shows full 20MB and a ping of 35

File from hotfile 16kbps free or premium same speed.

Fili from Rapidshare full speed of my connection.

Got someone to use the same file with my account on Hotfile on their Vodafone BB connection and they got full 7mb of their connection :mad:

Its Friday morning and the best download speed I can get is 300kb.
    Pathetic
    991234351.png
    Same results from Magnet speed test

• Advertisement

did you ring them??

think we need to all ring them and let them know there is an issue

I did but I'm just getting passed around and they will forward it on to their networking department

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Rebel021 wrote: »
    I did but I'm just getting passed around and they will forward it on to their networking department

As am I, I was told Id get a callback about it later on today

Aquos76 wrote: »
    As am I, I was told Id get a callback about it later on today

Just got off the phone with their customer support (Frankie)and he asked would everybody who is having problems ring up and submit a fault as the more who do will resolve the problem quicker.

He also said he would submit links to this thread and others on boards.ie
    with this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Glad I am not alone. I reported this to upc via twitter last week. Going to switch DNS later tonight and see if that resolves it.

It won't work
    I've tried them all

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

im been using Rapidshare with no problem all week full speed downloads. Been on other fourms and they are having hotfile problems as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Improved speeds this evening

waster81 wrote: »
    Improved speeds this evening
    Not for me very poor all day.:mad:
    Upc CC called me back and told me they're still working on it about an hour ago:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm getting **** speeds with HF as well. Currently getting about 120k a sec, instead of the usual 1.7meg that i was getting with RS recently.

Advertisement