Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Downloads very slow (tethering)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Starting downloading 4 files this morning
    The first 2 came down at near full speed then I get an error on the next 2
    Server port closed
    go back and redownload the last 2 files from the webpage and we're back to 100 kbs speed.

In my opinion definitely traffic shaping going on here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's got to be UPC shaping the connection. I'm down to averaging 50kbs this morning. I'm gonna ring them on Monday, but i doubt they'll be any use at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

As I posted in that other thread, try this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68528641&postcount=46

jeffk wrote: »

I use IDM and mine is set to 16 still no difference

Rebel021 wrote: »
    I use IDM and mine is set to 16 still no difference

VERY strange how this seems to only happen on hotfile, im on eircom myself.

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »
    VERY strange how this seems to only happen on hotfile, im on eircom myself.
    On my eircom connection I get full speed its only hotfile on upc that I get dreadful speeds:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Will ring UPC tomorow, certainly there is a hotfile problem with them, weird their phone support isnt available saterday yet is on sunday...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigjez

Don't know if this is any help but I rang UPC because of my download speed. I'm in balbriggan and I'm only getting 14 on the 30 mb package. Well they didnt turn up as agreed on Thursday but that's for another thread and arrived this morning. Typical he does a test this morning and I'm getting 24 mb. I show him a printout of the speeds from the last two months showing the poor speeds and he says my setup is fine and that it's a transmission problem. Don't know if it'll be fixed soon so I'm gonna call billing to sort out a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

im gettin between 5kb and 30kb a 200mb file is estimated to take 11hours.

its like 1995 all over again

AdrianII wrote: »
    im gettin between 5kb and 30kb a 200mb file is estimated to take 11hours.

its like 1995 all over again

Yep same, if using a download manager I can get 70kb/s :D . It seems strange the UPC don't throttle megaupload/rapidshare which are equally as popular, hopefully its just a UPC network issiue to hotfiles servers

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 1dowling

I'm averaging 30kbps downloads from Hotfile on UPC but if I enable blackVPN on the same connection I get full speed. My guess is that they are testing the waters with Hotfile... Depositfiles, rapidshare etc. could be next. If this is the case I doubt anyone will get anywhere with customer services... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

Yes My Hotfile account is useless now..max 24 kb

Has anyone emailed hotfile?

I downloaded their test file an sent them the highest and lowest speeds, still no word back as of today.

anyone ring upc today??
    any updates, any one getting decent speeds today?

Been on to UPC today and the Tech support guy insisted they do not care what you use the internet for, and he confirmed they do not shape traffic in any shape or form, and it is more than likely a hotfile problem, I will email hotfile and if they say its a isp problem he said they would escalate it further

Nick

same reply as i got

they dont throttle, block, shape traffic, they dont care what you download, and he mentioned the court case they won :rolleyes:

so i dont know where we lie

same reply as i got

they dont throttle, block, shape traffic, they dont care what you download, and he mentioned the court case they won :rolleyes:

so i dont know where we lie

He told me its the first he heard about hotfile problems :rolleyes: . Probably got a different tech though in fairness :)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 themaddhatter

Been getting terrible speeds for nearly a week now. Seems to be specific hotfile servers that are slow though, since some are getting normal(ish) speeds. Only just renewed the account and can't even use it :( switched to OpenDNS the other day to see if it made a difference and it hasn't. At most i get 100kb/s and i can also get as little as 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Laughable at this point was up at home for the weekend and got full speed , just got back here and am getting 13kbps down

I'm going to get a fileserve account to hell with rs and hf

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

anyone ring upc today??
    any updates, any one getting decent speeds today?

Slightly better today alright

hotfile.jpg
    This is the max Im getting where as I get 1.8mb from RS links

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Think I spoke too soon :mad:
    hotfile1.jpg

im getting 300kb at the moment, better than all weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 42 -jethro-

its definitely certain hotfile servers, some servers offer download speeds over 1mb/ps and i find other links are going as slow as 20kb/ps... so why that is i dont know but i hope hotfile fix it soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 sk8gr8

It's from hotfile allright, since from 5 ongoing downloads, 3 are at 150KB/s and other 2 at 1,3MB/s
    Maybe they are making a difference between free and premium uploaders( slower speeds on free uploader's files)
    Could be a connection issue aswell. I've seen ISP's that don't block the peer-to-peer, just lowering the download speeds to a level that most users would give up waiting fpr a download.
    That doesn't stop the heavy downloaders to leave the pc's work over night :D

another shockingly slow day.

Speeds from 0.15 to 30kb im getting

which is it hotfile or upc

on the blower to them now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Its hotfile. There are people complaining about it on different ISP's.

it certainly looks that way now.

UPC gave me the green light.. anyone hear back from hotfile

it certainly looks that way now.

UPC gave me the green light.. anyone hear back from hotfile

No, im around two days waiting on a reply from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭johnser

Just to confuse everyone again, I tried downloading a 50Mb file from HF this morning via UPC and was getting 7kb (which is what I've been getting since Saturday) and tried the same link from work and got 450mb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

rapdishare in my girlfriends house: 1.7 meg
    rapidshare in my house: 100 kb

both UPC 15 meg

It's so slow here this past while

996480222.png

???

Advertisement