Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Izoard wrote: »
    When you are low on mojo, chasing girls usually works...:)

Aside from the real life stuff, would one of the reasons be that your A goal (assuming Barcelona is it), is so far away?

Either way you'll get it done.

It could be that you need to load up on the Haribo's and vino for a weekend to get your mojo back:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Just keep going dude, tick over and it will come in time. Try enjoy it as best you can.

7 months now since i came off my bike - partial avulsion of my hamstring tendon and only getting to the bottom of it now. Not one days training since (and unlikely to be for another few months). Anyway this isn't a pity story and others have it way worse but point is dont take what you can do now for granted as one day it will be all gone - be it old age, a wrecked body or whatever.

Do a sportive, an enjoyable running race and just have a laugh with your club mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You're in that frustrating spiral right now that feeds on itself - you get sick, you get behind on life/work/training, you try to catchup on life/work/training, but catching up is harder than you think it should be which then frustrates you and makes you question all sorts of crazy things that you know better than to question yourself about. It's normal....and we all have our own ways that get us through those moments of self-doubt. Last night, you got through it by pushing yourself physically and mentally. And maybe now you've gotten past the moment. But if you have not totally gotten past the moment, don't be afraid to try a softer approach (without guilt!!) such as an enjoyable race/laughing/vino/chasing girls (check with Caz on this one first) as your buddies have suggested. ;) And then start back with the hardcore training after you've got your mojo and perspective back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I really admire your honesty Mike. Not a lot I can add to the wisdom above. I know that you'll get that mojo back so try to keep the faith. Not easy I know but you're a determined character so hang in there. Don't forget to remind yourself of how far you've come these last few years too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Offer €50 for Garmin. Extra €5 if you towel me dry after Val swim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Mike - Take a week off and relax, come back stronger - works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Get yourself out for a good meal and a few glasses of wine tonight with Caz. That fuzzy feeling of why you do the training and motivation will soon return.

The other thing you should also be thinking is do i really want my ass handed to me by JB in Barca:) that motivating enough for ye:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hope you get sorted, in a similar place myself this week,

The only thing I can say if you really don’t want to train, don’t.
    we have all been there where we do things we don’t want to and end up resenting it. the good\bad thing about endurance sport is time away really makes you want to train again.
    and on a personal note, you may like to skip the Monday night swim trying to hang on to your feet was demoralising:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Interesting read and fair play as said for the honesty.

Not much to add that hasn't been said, but I will add my perspective in case it's any use:

- training was going well, solid and progressive
    - you got sick, missed a lot of sessions (relatively speaking)
    - you did a 10km run race in a very decent time coming back from this with not much training in 2 weeks ish
    - you jumped into a mammoth 5.5k swim session
    - few days later not feeling it

So in plain terms, it looks like you understandably got annoyed with the illness and missed sessions, went back into it hard to try catch up and body and mind said no thanks, not yet.
    They do always say never try to catch up missed sessions, and its understandable why.
    Realistically, you didn't lose any fitness in the 2 weeks or so of illness, but of course it would take you a week or so to get back to normal pace/feeling I'm sure.
    That on top of any work/life issues is perfectly normal to have a bad day or so.

In other thoughts, regarding feel good factor and so on I find a general mix and match really helps enjoy the training.
    Such as mountain running in different areas regularly, hill repeats diff locations, outdoor bikes with great views/weather and overall quality session.
    When I train, I'm either working hard that I've no thoughts, or I'm visualising racing, different scenarios, results, competitors and general positive focus.

Interesting comment regarding late A race possibly not helping the short term focus also. I'm sure you've a second A race earlier but just not quite as important so not down as an A race. May help to do this.

I wonder if a change to your schedule may help also?
    As in different run days/times/routines etc to give the body a different approach?
    You're obv in the twice/thrice a day training zones so perhaps not as applicable, but may be worth a thought.
    Are you resting enough/allowing enough recovery between hard sessions?

Finally, I'd give a thought to the illness, could it have been assisted by accumulated fatigue - see prev recovery point,
    is diet a factor?, do I need more vitamins/nutrition etc.
    Different things work for different people, maybe try a few new things if needed to help get back in the zone.

Training has to be enjoyable, the easy sessions, hard sessions and the I'm gonna faint sessions ;) You clearly love the sport to get where you are and will continue to do so very soon.

Now then, tomorrow is Saturday and nothing beats an early morning session to start the weekend. :)

Oh and sorry for the essay... :o

Winners never quit.
    Show us what you're made of and come back stronger and more determined now.

Hope you're back and feeling it again asap. Eugene is miles behind in the swim and I'll back off if you don't keep chasing lol :D
    (NOT) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

There's not a problem in the world that's can't be sorted quite simply. Buy another new bike!!:D

But seriously, I was having a bad time this week, I got up early this morning and went for an "easy" really "easy" spin on the bike. It was 35K and took ages, but you know what, I really enjoyed just looking around me and absorbing the scenery that normally I never see! Sometimes we forget what's it all about! Try an "easy" did I say "easy" spin and see if that clears the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

All, jaysus thanks for the posts, PMs, emails etc...

I'd no idea I was being that negative! I just blogged my frustration as it was better to do that than annoy my family with it. They are going through enough.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    You're in that frustrating spiral right now that feeds on itself - you get sick, you get behind on life/work/training, you try to catchup on life/work/training, but catching up is harder than you think it should be which then frustrates you and makes you question all sorts of crazy things that you know better than to question yourself about. It's normal....and we all have our own ways that get us through those moments of self-doubt. Last night, you got through it by pushing yourself physically and mentally. And maybe now you've gotten past the moment. But if you have not totally gotten past the moment, don't be afraid to try a softer approach (without guilt!!) such as an enjoyable race/laughing/vino/chasing girls (check with Caz on this one first) as your buddies have suggested. ;) And then start back with the hardcore training after you've got your mojo and perspective back.

PM'd you
    pgibbo wrote: »
    I really admire your honesty Mike. Not a lot I can add to the wisdom above. I know that you'll get that mojo back so try to keep the faith. Not easy I know but you're a determined character so hang in there. Don't forget to remind yourself of how far you've come these last few years too!
    Cheers P, faith is there. Just gotta be patient
    Offer €50 for Garmin. Extra €5 if you towel me dry after Val swim.
    If you beat me, I'll just give it to you :)
    handangeo wrote: »
    Mike - Take a week off and relax, come back stronger - works for me.
    Thats the plan ;)
    Get yourself out for a good meal and a few glasses of wine tonight with Caz. That fuzzy feeling of why you do the training and motivation will soon return.

The other thing you should also be thinking is do i really want my ass handed to me by JB in Barca:) that motivating enough for ye:pac:

Part A to be ticked off this evening.
    Part B to be ticked off in September
    BennyMul wrote: »
    Hope you get sorted, in a similar place myself this week,

The only thing I can say if you really don’t want to train, don’t.
    we have all been there where we do things we don’t want to and end up resenting it. the good\bad thing about endurance sport is time away really makes you want to train again.
    and on a personal note, you may like to skip the Monday night swim trying to hang on to your feet was demoralising:)
    Cheers BennyMul. Sounds like it alright Chief. Good to meet you and hope everything works out
    Fazz wrote: »
    I wonder if a change to your schedule may help also?
    As in different run days/times/routines etc to give the body a different approach?
    You're obv in the twice/thrice a day training zones so perhaps not as applicable, but may be worth a thought.
    Are you resting enough/allowing enough recovery between hard sessions?

Finally, I'd give a thought to the illness, could it have been assisted by accumulated fatigue - see prev recovery point,
    is diet a factor?,
    Meeting the Coach in a couple of weeks to discuss most of above. The illness was simply a result of catching what was going around my inner circle and the work office. Hard to avoid really
    big mce wrote: »
    There's not a problem in the world that's can't be sorted quite simply. Buy another new bike!!:D

But seriously, I was having a bad time this week, I got up early this morning and went for an "easy" really "easy" spin on the bike. It was 35K and took ages, but you know what, I really enjoyed just looking around me and absorbing the scenery that normally I never see! Sometimes we forget what's it all about! Try an "easy" did I say "easy" spin and see if that clears the head.
    Some no pressure session planned for the week away next week. Bringing the mountain bike

A couple of sessions that I felt good after, all with a purpose.

Club Run Session
    Bolted out of work a bit late for this and missed the dynamic warm up. To make up for it I ran a sharp 5 minute warm up building the pace every 30 seconds until I was running hard. I then slotted into the main set
    2*2 minutes, pace 3:25 avg
    2*4 minutes, pace 3:39 avg
    6 minutes, pace 3:45
    1 minute, pace 3:17

All done hard with 2 minutes really easy jogging recoveries. It was a lovely chilly calm evening and I enjoyed this session a lot. Its the first run I've done without having breathing issues in a while and I maintained strong steady efforts on the reps. The Coach hooked me up with a lad of similar pace and I we paced each other. I to felt good to have someone pushing you along like that, very motivating. We split into teams and did some realys next and I sprinted harder than I have since I was a teen. It was good fun.

Long Run
    Just 80 minutes so not that long but the objective was to run by percieved effort and that I did. I sauntered around the city ignoring the garmin and keeping my pace in check by listening to my body. It was one of the most relaxing long runs I have done. I worked out a lot of LIFE stuff en route which is unusual for me. I finished with no niggles for once and some ideas on how to turn the corner. Every run from now will have a focus, the focus is to improve :)

Bike 2.5hrs with Hill Reps
    I was all geared up despite feeling the effects of a night out, for a spin. My second of the year. To my dismay my decking was covered with ice and it seemed like I was going to miss my window. We had a slew of visitors due for the day, dinner was put on at 0830! I had arranged to meet DaveR1 for some hill reps and we decided to give it an hour to thaw and check again. Thankfully the sun came out and set the thaw in motion and I was not going to be deterred.

I was a tad' anxious about the session with Dave as he is a whippet on hills and just fast in general at everything. The plan was 6*10 minutes climbing and it turned into a solid hour of work, covering 870m of ascent in the process. We pushed each other on and it was needed too as we both felt it at different times. I was pretty pleased to put down this session given I have huge room for improvement. We pushed the last rep up to the top of the hill and then bolted back down as the descent had dried out a little.

Very good session and again having company made a significant difference, especially fast company :)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/154951863

Right then, a week of down time, back soon ;)

Eh hem.....birthday week....??? :D;)

Technically, it is March 7th in Ireland.....so......HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHOTGUN!!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Happy Birthday Mike, go out and run your age in miles. :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its your birthday? Partaaaaay!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Birthday? That means cake. I'm off the the bakery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Have a good one Mike! You moving up an AG this year? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Happy birthday Mike!

Monday swim and easy run
    I was heading up the country with Caz for a few days so just took the opportunity to take an early dip before we hit the road. An hour of cruising with the odd tumble turn thrown in. It was a quiet lane and I simply enjoyed the serenity of it. The distance didn't bother me but if I had known I was just a couple of lengths off an SBR green at the end of the hour, I'd have thrown them in.
    Total 3,300m

Later in the evening I took to the roads for a 50 minute aerobic run at dusk. It was a windy evening and I struggled a bit into the wind. My legs felt quite wooden and controlled by a puppet master who was otherwise distracted. I had to drag them reluctantly around after me. It may have been a symptom of DaveR1 pushing me up the hills the day before.
    11.17km at 4:30 pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156246883

Tuesday bike with HIM intervals
    I plotted a route but forgot to check the wind direction. As a result I ended up almost bonking into a headwind spinning home after the work section. I warmed up initially and then horsed into 3*20 minutes at a target HR of 155 with 10 minutes easy in between. The first 2 reps were with a cross and tail wind respectively. I also went over a climb crossing the border and wasn't looking forward to the 3rd rep being back into the wind and up the hill.

It hurt as expected. I had no problem hitting the target heart rate for this rep! The wind was a gusty southerly and pinched significantly. Once the work was done I had the bones of an hour to get home. It took 1:10 and I had to stop at a shop for coke and chocolate before I faced the last 10k into a direct open headwind. Overall it was a solid bike and my first ton of the year. The difference bewteen this 3 hour spin and its equivalent last year, apart from fitness level, is the prescribed work included.
    100.37km at 30.7kmh
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156246896

Wednesday Hilly Run and Core

I went looking for hills and found them. I ran up them. I found wind. I ran into that. I found rhythm. I went with that. It felt good. I felt good. It was a good run. As I stood on the doorstep stretching a dark ominous cloud rolled in furiously and opened its contents with a prupose. The dog even pawed tthe front door. The feeling of getting the run done just before the elements unleased hell felt good too. This run, I smiled smile.gif
    14.77km at 4:25 pace with hills at 160ish HR
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156246909

Straight afterwards I hit the bedroom floor and performed the 4 yoga poses illustrated in Tiathlete Eurpoe magazine this month. That felt good too.

Thursday Bike with OLY reps and a swim with an experiment

I did 3 loops of Maynooth - Cellbridge - Clane which included good long flat roads for the intervals. I targetted HR 160 for 4*15 minutes with 10 minutes easy in between. The first rep was into a fresh southerly wind and hitting the heart rate wasn't a problem. I was working hard just to hold 28-29kph! The second rep was with the wind behind me and I had to pass cars out to hit the target output!

The next 2 reps followed suit but the energy waned somewhat. Both long bike this week were done on a single water bottle and a banana. I made sure I had a tailwind for the last 10km this time so I could wind down. Good spin but felt rather stiff afterwars. I subsequently did a very very easy transition run around the pretty golf course of Carten house which felt heavy and lumbersome.
    91km at 31.5kmh
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156246920

The swim involved a short warm hotel pool so I had to break the 3k into 3*1k to get through the long easy bit. With that out of the way I decided to see how quickly I could sprint the 18m. Roughly 12 seconds. I then got Caz to time me for a dive start one. 11 seconds. I did one kicking off the wall again and gave it full bore. 11 seconds. I was puzzled. Were dive starts not supposed to be faster. So I did 1 more of each and they were both 11 seconds. Then, when I visualised swimmers on their blocks and it clicked that I was diving from a standing position.

Cue Caz again starting me, but from a crouched toe touching stance. My dive felt more horizontal and faster and I covered the remaining 6 strokes or so at full effort. 9 seconds smile.gif The experiment confirmed a 2 second advatage for a dive start over a wall start. Given my 100 PB is 1:13, I would be dangerously close to what Tunney once procalimed an adult learner could never do!
    Total 3,200m

Friday Swim and Hill Reps with the Run Club

I planned to do a long swim to scoop some room for a proper atttack on the buffet breakfast. 3.8k was about as long as I could manage in the short warm pool. The first km was done nudging between a breats stroking ould fella and a backstroking ould fella. I figured thay would get the hint and give me space but they just carried on and even left a straying elbow from time to time to remind me that they were there first.

I took 10 minutes in the jacuzzi to let off steam half way through the swim and hopped back in when the emerged. I did some damage at the breakfast for a finish biggrin.gif
    Total 3,800m

I debated doing the club run as it was a hill rep session and I had a race the following day. The race was just some fun though and my legs felt stiff. I though some work and some stretching would loosen them. We did some dynamic exercises on either side of 9 hill reps foe a short quality session. I had a partner for the hills and he was strong, pushing me all the way up. The hills were short enough so as not to take too much out of me. I'm enjoying the group runs. Sadly I will miss them every second week but I'll just appreciate them more when I attend.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156246930

Keeper Challenge Race Report
    This was my first 'Adventure Race'. Although not an AR by purist standards it was rougher and more hair raising than a triathlon. I recced the bike route before the race to find some fairly muddy and dodgy roads and a stinker of a climb. It was wet too which concerned me as I'm not exactly risk averse!

The First Bike
    We started in a large group and rolled up to the start. I met my cousin and we chatted en route. He has done some proper ARs and we discussed pedal choice which I'll approach in the form in due course. Once we hit the start line tha gun went quite by surprise and I found myself buried in the middle of the group. Everyone took off and bike wove about almost recklessly. The first 10km was basically a series of long drags. I moved up the outside of the group and noticed a break peel off the front after just a few minutes. I put the boot down.

Within a couple of minutes I had covered the break and was working with the lead pair to push away from the pack. There was another mini group working in between but not quite bridging us. I did my fair share of pulling at the front and we had build 30-40 secs on the pack by the time we hit 10km and turned off the main road to circle the mountain. The terrain grew gradually worse. Mud, loose stones, hills, grass etc.. Some of it shuddering mountain bike territory.

I noticed the other 2 were strong cyclists and seemed to know each other from this AR scene too. I felt strong and felt I had another gear on flat if I had to. I pulled away on descents but was caught again on ascents. At approx 17km we hit the main climb. It was approx 1.5km but 10-15% gradient. Granny gear stuff. I was 3rd to the top of the climb and had lost 100m to the lead pair. There was no one else on the climb behind from what I could see.

The terrain plataued for a moment before descending sharply. I dropped to the hoods and put the boot down to re-engage with the lead pair. I was reeling them in but far too quickly. I completely misjudged a 90 degree turn at the bottom of the descent. It was very muddy and I had gone wide to cut the apex. It was too late to see that this was not possible. I couldn't turn right sharply or the bike would have gone from under me landing me heavily on my right. I had no choice but to aim for the ditch, close my eyes, pull the brake and wait for the impact...

The next thing I knew I was flying over the handlbars and my head clattered off something. Thankfully the ditch took the brunt of the speed off but I hit the deck heavily. It took a minute to get back to my feet. My forehead hurt with the impact of the helmet slamming against it and my neck hurt from the impact too. My hip was grazed but I knew, thankfully, I was not badly hurt. My helmet was loose and I couldn't tighten it, but it was intact. It took another minute to straighten my bars, fix my chain and derailler and loosen my fingers. During this time 3 other lads flew passed knocking me down to 6th place. I got back on the saddle and got motoring again.

My helmet kept slipping down over my eyes which was annoying but I was glad to be moving. I chased down the 3 lads again and caught them. I wasn't going to hang about either. I was told that there was some proper AR racers at race briefing and I also knew there were some quality hill runnes in the pack behind me. I was surprised that more hadn't passed me while I sorted myself and my bike out. That steep climb was clearly taking no prisoners. Anyway, just as I caught the 3 lads and shifted into a big gear to push on, my chain came off mad.gif I got off and fixed it only to find myself chasing the 3 again. The 3 had become 2 when I of them punctured so I was chasing 4th and 5th spot. I caught them with 5km to go to transition but again when I had pushed on my chain came off again mad.gif

I was raging now. I felt like throwing the towel at it at this stage. I had a mountain run to do, my neck and hip ached and I was wondering if my bike was even going to get me there. I was covered in mud and breathing heavily. The adrenalin was flowing through my veins. I wasn't giving up yet. I fixed the chain again and chased once more. I caught the 2 just before transition. I had a small bag on my back with my run shoes so I racked my bike and change into those. I had taken on about half of my carb mix drink on the bike. The drama had distracted me from drinking more.
    Leg #1 - 31km bike in 1:06. Avg HR 160, max 175 - Thats TT effort for 28kmh average eek.gif
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156482234

The Run
    I grabbed my bottle of lucozade as I left transition. The 2 guys were already a couple of hundred meters up the trail. The advantage of caged pedals over clip in I guess. My legs felt suitably wooden and I was questioning the decision to do hill reps last night. I reminded myself that this was to be enjoyed! There was something odd about this route for starters. The intended route was called out as 7km up and down the hill but we were running around the base? I gradually reeled in one guy to move up to 4th but the 3rd place guy was pulling away. He turned out ot be the eventual winner, running down the breakaway boys.

I knew I wouldn't have fun carrying the lucozade bottle up the steep hill so I took a few swigs and dropped it by a marshall. It was a self sufficient race and I was now into 14km with no water. The thought of getting back to my water bottle of my bike was my carrot. I kept the 3rd place guy in my sight on the flat and even held his pace but once we started climbing he was gone. The climb totalled 615m and was simply a slow never ending grind. I was full sure that I was going to be caught and my expecation were dropping every time I took a walk break. The trail was mostly mud and fireroad up to 7km. When we hit that point we were still shy of the summit and I expected to be divereted back down. Instead the marshalls decalred the race was up to the peak and back. I already had 7km on the watch! It turned out to be another 2km to the top on steeper looser terrain. It was energy sapping. The 14km had turned into 18km. I still hadn't been caught though and I just worked hard and as steady as I could.

The top 3 guys passed me on the way down and all had several minutes on me and looking strong. I figured I'd soon struggle without water. I reached the top and got my wristband however and to my delight was handed a small water bottle "as long as I took it back to transition". I made the promise and turned to begin the descent. 5th place was maybe 30-40 secs behind me and I recognised Mike Cunnigham a couple of minutes behind him. He became my motivation. I figured 5th pace was closing too quickly on me not to be caught but I though it would be an achievement to get down before Mike. I knew that once I got back on my bike I'd not give up whatever position I was in to anyone. I went for it initially to make it a taller order for them. A 3:26km followed by a few 10km pace ones to hit 13km still in 4th place?! I glanced back a couple of times to see no one behind me but it hurt my neck too much to do so. I decided to let what will be, be. My hammers and hip flexors had felt so tight and stiff on the ascent but they now opened up to cover the ground with greater strides. It was hard going though. I tried to stride as softly as I could but I reckoned the village far below could hear me coming it was so heavy footed.

With the transition area in sight about 5 minutes running away I knew I could hold onto 4th place if I just kept moving. The 250ml water bottle made all the difference between getting through the run and dying half way down. I was feeling it alright and didn't appreciate the last hill up to transition one bit. I saw 3rd pllace leaving T2 as I approached but knew he had 2 minutes on me and I wasn't going to make that up in just 7km. My aim was to hold off the charge behind. I stuffed my run shoes back into the bag and put my helmet on. I was delayed as one of the marshalls was asking me if I wanted a medic to see me. I must not have looked pretty biggrin.gif
    1:27 for 17:88km, slow but happy to get through it
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156482248

Second Bike
    I struggled to get my feet back into the shoes and was wobbling all over the place. I was already embarassed enough to have fallen off once, I was NOT going to topple over in front of all the marshalls! I eventually got on the road to see 5th place at the bottom of the hill before transition. I had made up over a minute on him and knew I was safe. I basically rolled back to the finish saving just a little fight in case he pulled something out of the bag.
    A sluggish 12 minutes for 7km downhill
    redface.gif
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156482260

Overall 2:47:37 for 4th place biggrin.gif I was glad it was done too as I ached.

Ok, a bit of a length post to catch up but I'm back in the game people smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭griffin100

Great report.........great result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Mikes mojo is back:) lucky the helmet took the brunt of the fall.

You were never out of the game, shotgun. ;)

Nice paragraphs. And your race, report and result are awesome, awesome and well deserved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Dude that was a seriously enjoyable read and has me googling an adventure race for later this year, Oct time! Well done man, 4th place in your first AR despite the crash and chain drops-costing you minutes no doubt. Thankfully you were ok and shows everyone the importance of a good helmet. BTW did you use your road bike?

Every time I read your posts on mountain running it makes me pine a little for a return to some mountain running :o well done and great to hear you enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Excellent. Great result. Was really interested to see how you went. Unlucky with the crash. Entertaining report, describes the race and thought processes really well. Sounds like a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Ha you mad bar steward!

As I was reading about the crash I was thinking gameover... wow fair play for getting back up and on with it!
    And back on with it hard too!

Great read. Great to be back in the game! Excellent race well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I expect this to be a continuing theme throughout the season. Both my result and my report are outshone my yours. Fantastic result, and massive respect for getting back on the bike after launching over the bars. I think many of us would have hobbled back to transition. Congrats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Great result, fair play.

Swim Squad
    My shoulder and neck hurt on the warm up. I couldn't catch with my right hand or pull with any pressure. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up in the fast lane so I joined the back of the middle lane and initially even struggled to keep up at that pace. After a half hour it loosened up a little and I joined the back of the fast lane for some 100s and 200s. I couldn't swim hard enough to hold the pace. I got through the main set but it was way off. The sprints or kicking section was a no go this morning so it was an early shower and early to work. Sitting at a desk is doing nothing for it either so I'm looking forward to some movement and fresh air later.

Last weeks summary
    8.5 hours biking
    2.5 hours running
    3 hours swimming
    3 hours racing
    1 hour core

It was a solid week of training overall. I finished 7 minutes off the winner in my first AR that included a crash and chain drops so pleased about that. Having the week off work helped of course. Swimming was generally muck, running ok and biking was done with reasonable quality. I should really have done more core though.

This week is about getting back to some consistency and taking care of my battered self. More core, less sugar and feel fresh for my first 10 miler at Mallow on Monday :)

I expect this to be a continuing theme throughout the season. Both my result and my report are outshone my yours.

No chance, I'd trade that result at the weekend for a 36min 10k for where my running is at right now. Especially the manner in which you did it. Smashing run there and thats you and Bambaata looking good for the forthcoming races. I'd expect Fazz to throw his hand in the pot with a similar result the way he is training.

• Advertisement

Lunchtime 10k easy run with strides.
    We just have the one changing room so I changed after my work run buddy giving him a couple of minutes of a headstart. It took a couple of 3:45 pace kms to catch up and then I settled to his chatting pace. The conversation for a set of hard strides which I felt more than usual. I was still sore from the weekend.

A hard turbo brick session was scheduled for this evening, a repeat of the one I couldn't finish a few weeks ago. My shoulder and neck still ache so I thought it best to allow an extra day of recovery. I have to fix the bike up anyway. It has been far too long since I did a long run so I'm going to use the Mallow 10 mile to judge my target pace for the Limerick Half Marathon.

Weight trend line is climbing in the wrong direction. Simply no sugar control going on here :o 4.5kg to race weight....
    RW

Advertisement