Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

don't know why but I have the discipline to drive 40 minutes out and back to run up a muddy hill but I struggle to kick the damn sugar habit....

Tell me about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

but its Terry's chocolate orange ... I blame the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

On the way home I stopped off for bread and milk and spotted Terry's chocolate orange balls on sale for just €2. I couldn't resist and demolished it later with a cup of tea :o I don't know why but I have the discipline to drive 40 minutes out and back to run up a muddy hill but I struggle to kick the damn sugar habit....

860cals... I'm sure you ran it off ;)

I do love a TCO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

interested wrote: »
    but its Terry's chocolate orange ... I blame the shop.
    Me too :D At €2 I did well just to buy one!
    mloc123 wrote: »
    860cals... I'm sure you ran it off ;)

I do love a TCO.
    Probably. I didn't run that AND my dinner off though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Love reading those fell running accounts, I had forgotten how great doing them made me feel and these accounts bring it back to me. Definitely something I will return to some day. Love watching the ultra races on Setanta Sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done on the run and resulting story....and bonus points for gorgeous paragraphs. I'll be looking into these TCOs my next trip to Ireland....they sound deadly delicious.

Easy run
    I headed out at lunchtime yesterday with a work colleague. It was very humid out and despite the easy effort the sweat poured. It was a gentle run except for pushing the hills. I had to rein him back to conversation pace in between. It was a litte longer due to the pace so I missed lunch. I was starving by the time I got a toasted wrap into me 2 hours later.
    Overall 9.79km in 49:20, pace 5:02, average HR 132

Swim Squad
    I don't know why but this session wiped me out. It was nothing special but I struggled with it. Maybe its the heavy work week.
    900 various warm up
    8*50 hard off 1:05 in on 36,38,38,38,39,39,38,39
    3 sets of 200/2*100/2*50 off 3:20/1:40/1:00
    100 hard in 1:18, 100 easy
    100 hard in 1:23, 100 easy
    Total 3,200m

I felt very tired to start with. The 65 second RT for the hard 50s meant you couldn't quite max them. I was just happy to get them all under 40. The main set burned me off. I chased a lead pair of an energetic DaveR1 and a fresh Technician. There was no hope, I just let them go and did my best to lead the rest out. It was supposed to be short endurance set but it felt like slog city. I made the RTs with a few seconds to recover each time but it really felt like I was chasing my tail. On the positive I tried a couple of tumble turns early in the set when I had acres of space and lived to tell the tale! I tried one later in the set and it was the wrong move with the tiredness. Still, I finally managed to try a tumble turn in the middle of a main set :D I had nothing in the tank for the fast 100s so they provided the knock out blow. Wasted.

I was working the Saturday so the long run had to be done either before or after work. I prefer to get it out of the way but wasn't feeling too marvellous at 5am and thus went back to sleep. I got up early enough to get an easy hour on the turbo in. I had missed a turbo during the week and vowed to get a spin down after the long run. I knew however that I would be feeling this long run after work and got the spin down done as a wake up session instead. Saturday is not all bad at work though as I have a skeletal team in and less distraction. After a power day at the office I got kitted up immediately after I got in the door.

Long run with 4*10 minutes at HM pace
    Its the first time set the Garmin up specifically for a custom workout and have to say it really helped.
    30 min easy with a capped 155 HR
    4 sets of 10 min target pace 3:50-4:00, 5 min easy with a capped 155 HR
    20 min easy wind down

The first half hour was fine. Darkness fell quickly and I didn't really enjoy the level of traffic in the countryside not giving a damn about the runner with the hi-viz vest. I kicked into the first rep and it was on a drag. I worked hard initially but when the road levelled out I found a comfortable gear. I found that not having my heart rate visible was good as I had to tune into the RPE value of the effort. I just had the average pace and rep time counting down which was useful. My house is exactly half way on the GLR half marathon route and I had rumblings. I knew I wouldn't make it so half way through the rep I had to duck into the bushes and shed em, a kilo or so :o The rep finished off well at an average of 3:52 pace.

The next 2 were good at 3:54 and 3:53 pace. I worked hard for them but the effort felt right below threshold and controlled. I had a niggle developing in my left quad though that gave me some doubts about the last rep as it would be the toughest one. It began on the hill by Thomond park and the last 3 minutes of the rep finished on the long pull by the Gaelic Grounds. I was pleased to average 3:55 pace for it. Once done with the work however my quads, hip flexors and hammers all gave out as I trotted home gingerly.

Overall the work was solid and all 4 reps averaged 164 HR with a max of 175. I held the target pace and I managed to hold a 90 ish cadence too. Thats pretty much bang on where I'd expect half marathon effort to be. My legs are just not used to that kind of running yet. I have about 8 weeks or so to work on it. I was happy to get through it.
    25.29km in 1:52, average heart rate 153, pace 4:25
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/148843025

Long Bike bailout
    It was a brilliantly mild and calm spring day. Perfect for a long bike in the fresh air. I had a plan to bike out to Keeper hill at check out the Keeper Challenge route and climb some hills. Alas it was not to be. I punctured after just 30 minutes and to my dismay inspected a shred in the tyre. I just couldn't risk it on dodgy roads so turned for home. By the time I had a new tyre on life had taken over and I missed my window :( Ah well. To make up for it I have the turbo set up and Paul Oakenfold's Goa mix on standby for a steady 2 hours later this evening. For now its dinner with friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I punctured after just 30 minutes and to my dismay inspected a shred in the tyre.

Happened to me last week, such a pain!

There was two women from Limerick Tri Club out with the Cork club cycle today. Didn't catch either of their names, but one was on a Giant TCR with yellow bartape, and a yellow and black helmet, I'm not too sure who the other one was :o. They motored on when we stopped for coffee, needed to power on because one of them was training for IM Austria apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I have the turbo set up and Paul Oakenfold's Goa mix on standby for a steady 2 hours later this evening.

Eclectic taste I have that one on my playlist as well, the first 15 minutes or so of the 2nd session has some driving beat

• Advertisement

Long Turbo
    Fuel: 1.5 Roast Dinners pre session :) Water during session.
    Session: 2 hours steady at 77% FTP, avg HR 130, max 143, output 252w

Boring but done. I needed the tunes to get me through it. Held 75%+ steady but it felt like too much work after 90 minutes. My left quad is a little strained after the long run and this was perhaps a bit much for it to handle. I have an easy day tomorrow though and I intend to roll it out and jump in the bath after work.

A solid week put down overall. 3 swims, 3 bikes and a bit more intensity with the running. Absent again was core and conditioning. Absent also was food discipline. My first race is next weekend so I must nurture the heavy quad. I also have to get the TT bike cleaned up and checked. The duathlon will be my first run out on it since July. Superwoman is back at work thankfully so I think I'll take up my allegiance to her Yoga classes this week.

Happened to me last week, such a pain!

There was two women from Limerick Tri Club out with the Cork club cycle today. Didn't catch either of their names, but one was on a Giant TCR with yellow bartape, and a yellow and black helmet, I'm not too sure who the other one was :o. They motored on when we stopped for coffee, needed to power on because one of them was training for IM Austria apparently...
    Pretty sure I know the yellow bar tape. Yep a few LTC women training for IMAT. Good crew heading over. A couple of years ago a large LTC gang went to the half challenge Barcelona and the ladies came bag with a bag of AG prizes with Lisa Horgan showing most of the PRO women a clean pair of heels. The lads were well outdone. I reckon it might be the other way around this time as I predict 3 sub10s from the boys and 2 Kona slots.
    catweazle wrote: »
    Eclectic taste I have that one on my playlist as well, the first 15 minutes or so of the 2nd session has some driving beat
    Its a good set for a 2 hour session. Hard to believe its over 17 years old. It ebbs and flows charismatically for ages until it builds to a trance with half an hour to go. The last 20 minutes are positively thumping and just the ticket if you need to dig in.

Not feeling brilliant today and legs still feel like they are stuck in the late night turbo last night. Caz feeling much much worse though, so I'm minding her instead. What is a day off in the greater scheme of things? Dunking special offer (why do they do this to us) peanut butter kit kats into hot chocolate... Lent is like the apocolypse approaching :o I have a brute of a turbo brick in store for tomorrow so the rest will do no harm...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not a fan of kit kat chunky. The 2 finger snacksize kit kats are the best IMO, however, I imagine the orange kit kat chunky is pretty incredible.

Peanut butter one has all the added protein in it from the peanuts, that has to be good for your recovery, right? :D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm wheat intolerant but I just made double choc muffins and have worked my way thru half of them in a bit of a sugar binge. I blame the damp weather. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You have a bigger sweet tooth than all my kids put together:) Put down the chocolate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I tried 3 of the 4 new kit kats the weekend they were launched - well the Friday night they were available in the supermarket. :D Was disappointed with the double chocolate and peanut buter ones. The orange was nice. Must try the white one before lent starts.

Must try that Oakenfold mix. I'll get it off CW. I have a couple of hard turbos coming up and a 2 hour one this weekend that will probably need some good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    Must try that Oakenfold mix. I'll get it off CW. I have a couple of hard turbos coming up and a 2 hour one this weekend that will probably need some good music.

I cant remember if you said you couldnt set up a dropbox account in work or not, but I have it on that if you need it or anyone else wants it, along with some Guetta, Swedish House Mafia and a good Euphoria treble cd. I even have some triathlon related material up on it as well, thanks to Racoonqueen!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

catweazle wrote: »
    I cant remember if you said you couldnt set up a dropbox account in work or not, but I have it on that if you need it or anyone else wants it, along with some Guetta, Swedish House Mafia and a good Euphoria treble cd. I even have some triathlon related material up on it as well, thanks to Racoonqueen!

But but but, shes not a triathlete. :D

Z1 Run
    I managed to slip out of the office for a short run at lunchtime. Conditions were bright, breezy and fresh. Easily the nicest day of the year so far. My plan was to run eeeeasy. I aimed to keep my HR as close to 130 as possible to do so. A few little hills and the breeze challenged the objective but overall I really enjoyed this run. I felt fresher at the end than the start :) The hardest part about runnng at low base Z1 REP 3 kind of effort is keeping it reined in.
    Overall 8.07km in 41:11, pace 5:06, average HR 131

On the kit kat chunky thing
    My bro and I tested all 4 varieties and narrowed it down to the orange one and the peanut butter one. It took 3 more each to decide. He likes the orange but I prefer the peanut butter kit kat. 14 bars demolished in less than an hour :o I washed the lot down with a big mug of hot chocolate too making it a circa 2,000kcal chocolate binge :o
    Peanut butter one has all the added protein in it from the peanuts, that has to be good for your recovery, right?
    Right :D

14 bars demolished in less than an hour :o I washed the lot down with a big mug of hot chocolate too making it a circa 2,000kcal chocolate binge :o

You are a boy after my own heart. Well done!!!!

• Advertisement

On the kit kat chunky thing
    My bro and I tested all 4 varieties and narrowed it down to the orange one and the peanut butter one. It took 3 more each to decide. He likes the orange but I prefer the peanut butter kit kat. 14 bars demolished in less than an hour :o I washed the lot down with a big mug of hot chocolate too making it a circa 2,000kcal chocolate binge :o

Holy smoke batman :eek:

Iron stomach competition is where your fortune awaits. My stomach is churning at the thoughts of downing 7 bars in an hour (or was that 14 each? :eek:). I reckon I'd ben sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

on the goa theme, you might be interested in link below:

http://www.mixmag.net/music/dj-lab/orbital

shotgunjunior was ill, then Caz got ill. Thought I was super healthy avoiding it all. Yeah right. Chesty cough. 4 sessions missed. Going slowly nuts. Eating sugar.

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

shotgunjunior was ill, then Caz got ill. Thought I was super healthy avoiding it all. Yeah right. Chesty cough. 4 sessions missed. Going slowly nuts. Eating sugar.

:(:(:(

At least we all get a chance to catch you up when your having a break :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Get well soon Mike

So the size of training lately?

0.6km swim
    Basically shotgunjunior joined a group of girlies at the shallow end diving for stuff so I practiced some tumble turns. I had no energy but the turns were ok and kept me occupied. I managed to get up to swimming hard into the wall and not crashing.

Turbo
    I was lead into a false sense of security by the codeine stifling the cough. I was feeling ok so thought I'd try the turbo. It was a handy session anyway ahead of the duathlon this weekend. 2 sets of 4,5,6 minutes at sweetspot with 2 minute recoveries. It felt good apart from the buckets of sweat. Too good. I got through the session far too easily because the calibration was way off. It was just as well however as my chest tightened afterwards and gave me a nice fit of coughing and spluttering as a reminder that I'm not healthy yet. I'm back on the damn inhaler since and the duathlon is highly doubtful. The plan is for a few days complete rest and then train easily if it is clearing. Very frustrating.

I SIU'd also and got on the scales this morning to depress myself further. +1.3kg since the last check. Meh :rolleyes:

I don't do boredom well. At least I'm sleeping like a log :)

Aaaggggghhhh. Everyone on boards is sick, everyone at work is sick. How much longer can I survive. Pass the Vit C.

Hope you're back at it soon.

Yikes! Do get well soon....rest up....and get some life back into that body. Nothing worse than being on top of someone who is near comotose! That's no fun.....

• Advertisement

Hope you're feeling better soon Mike. Are you racing at the weekend? I assume so. :D Best of luck at the weekend if you are racing.

Advertisement