Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Yikes! Do get well soon....rest up....and get some life back into that body. Nothing worse than being on top of someone who is near comotose! That's no fun.....

Are you giving away some of your preferences there Dory??? ;):D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Manuka honey. (no Im not calling you honey) You get it in aldi, yeah I know I was sick this week but I swear by that stuff to help with recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

pgibbo wrote: »
    Are you giving away some of your preferences there Dory??? ;):D

Ahhh....but the actual challenge with a formidable opponent and the active maneuvering while switching positions is so much more rewarding than just taking advantage of a man when he's been weakened by other less-delightful forces such as germs and bacteria. ;)

Oopsie! I thought we were talking SBR Challenge. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hope you're feeling better soon Mike. Are you racing at the weekend? I assume so. :D Best of luck at the weekend if you are racing.
    I had planned to but I'm out of breath just walking up stairs at the moment so its a no go :(

Weekly numbers
    Swim: 3.9km
    Bike: 37.7km
    Run: 8.07km
    Total: 3 hours

Calories comsumed... circa 25k

Worse its getting too :mad:

The Duathlon was a non goal so I'm not too bothered about missing it. My chest would undoubtedly tighten up and I'd only prolong this muck. I'd rather feel better for the 10k next where I'll settle for no less than a PB.

I'm down to drinking seaweed juice at this stage to shake this thing...

I hit the gym last night, well more wandered into it aimlessly. I'm not healthy yet but I simply had to do something for my sanity. I figured a warm gym wouldn't irritate my lungs like the cool fresh air I'm missing outdoors. The gym was packed and very warm. The only available cardio machine was the ergometer (rower) which suited me fine.

There were 4 rowers and the only available one was sandwiched between a not so petite girl fixing her earphones and tugging the handle with one arm, and an extremely sweaty lad fighting with his machine over 30 second intervals. As I approached another pretty girl stepped in my way to make a claim. She knew I had seen it first and attempted to distract me wth a bright flash of teeth and some bashing eyelashes. I responded with an equally toothy grin and jumped onto the machine.

I quickly settled at a steady rhythm at 20 stroke per minute, about half the rate of Mr Sweaty to my right. Disco Girl to my left was actually holding some decent form and steady splits. My sliderail was dry and squeaky and to limit the noise I had to lean a little left. Occasionally my elbow would knock off Disco Girl's and I could sense her scowl burning into the side of my head. I held 1:55/500m for the first 4k, about the same pace as Mr Sweaty's interval pace. He became annoyed with the squeaky rail too and finished his session on the machine to his left when it became available. I pushed on to 1:48/500m pace for the last km which felt hard enough. I haven't been on the rower in ages. With 20 minutes done I hopped onto a treadmill.

I don't like the treadmill. Its a necessary evil in my eyes. The only good thing about the treadmills in the arena though is that they overlook the pool and I like watching people swim. How some people get up and down the pool so fast with such awful strokes is beyond me but hey fast doesn't have to be pretty. It was an uneventful 40 minutes of more sweating. Mainly easy and a 6 minute last mile for kicks. I felt ok. The first few minutes had a 'brick' effect from the rower and my calves had a debate about cramping or not. The easy pace flushed the idea out thankfully.

I hit the pool afterwards for 1k easy, 1k kicking with a board and fins and 4*200s steady. I felt like a brick. I swam like a brick. The masters hopped in as I was hopping out and took up 5 lanes. I watched them go through their paces for a while quite mesmerised by the top lane's lead guy's stroke. He is a big friendly guy who swam competitively back in the day. He looks like he should sink like a brick but he really moves and with a clean powerful stroke too. They were swimming 100s off 1:35 or so and he had enough time to make chat with me in between his reps. One of the best strokes I've seen in the pool so far.

• Advertisement

Not bad for junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

How some people get up and down te pool so fast with such awful strokes is beyond me but hey fast doesn't have to be pretty.

Amen to that brother!

Inhaler, antibiotics, Steroids, rest, soothers, seaweed... nothing seems to be shaking this damn thing :mad:

Headed to the pool with shotgunjunior last night. Swam a few easy lengths and practiced tumble turns as usual. No coughing fit thankfully. He set a milestone for himself and kicked the length of the pool with a board :)

Easy swim
    This morning I decided to swim again. I've done nothing this week again and just needed something to keep me sane. 2.5k straight easy swim, 1k kick with fins, 500 steady and 200 easy. I tried tumble turns at the deep end but they were not good. Maybe I'm not letting myself roll and get a good foot plant. Anyway the swim wasn't up to much. I felt sluggish, heavy, unfit and inefficient. I glanced at the clock at 1.5 and 2k and it only depressed me. At one point the softly spoken scot overtook me slowly. It lasted the bones of a length but felt suspended in time. The highlight of an otherwise boring swim :) The waterpolo fish was doing lengths with massive paddles and he must have overtaken me ten times in the session :rolleyes: There was quite a bit of traffic in the lane but all more or less swimming steadily with or without pool toys but all with sound pool etiquette. I had a couple or minor coughing episodes mainly brought on by the stress of tumble turns...
    Total 4,200m

Day 1 of lent done, no shakes yet!

A Run
    Right, day 3 off the crap. If I can see Lent through and then moderate the sugar intake my target race weight may become a realistic goal. What good will that do if I don't change how I'm running. Simple volume is a thing of the past. Its not a marathon focused year. Ok, I have to run one off the bike in September but thats a long way off. In the interim I've decided to join a running club. I'd like to improve my running and the one piece of advice that resonates amongst the experienced folk is to get thee to a club.

My swimming has come on leaps and bounds over the last 2 years as swim sessions are hugely variable and speedwork is a common feature. In contrast to running solo, rarely training with others, rarely doing intervals, never doing speedwork and being a slave to numbers. So, this evening I joined a club. I'll only make the odd session here and there but the sessions are structured and the company is good.

The session this evening was short and sweet. 12*45 seconds hard with 1 minute rest. After a dynamic warm the 30+ group belted into it. The Coach advised taking it steady to last the 12 reps. Its a casual group so no elite runners. The Club's elite includes Orla Drumm. Thus I mixed it with the lead lads. I wouldn't have pushed as hard if I was doing this alone. After 6 reps my heart rate was hit low 180s but my chest was also tightening up and I was coughing. I relaxed the pace a tiny bit and called it a day at 10 reps. We did a proper warm down and jogged back to our cars.

It was a lovely evening and I enjoyed it. It was just 6km but quality over quantity and I was happy just to be running. Its still doubtful if I will run the 10k on Sunday though. Last minute call tomorrow. I've had a real coughing fit heading to bed each evening this week and could do with a decent sleep tonight.

Saturday bike
    It was just a short spin over to my Dads for the match and back on the mountain bike. Spinning steadily. It was a beautiful day out and I generally felt unfit. 28km done in the bones of an hour.

Sunday turbo
    My hip flexors, groins, hammers and soles of my feet were all very stiff from the interval session on Friday night. I did an easy hour on the turbo to try and spin them out but they only felt worse afterwards. I felt a bit healthier though so decided to head over to the 10k in search of mojo.

Adare 10k
    My first race of the year. I had zero expectations after the last couple of weeks of nothing. I still felt stiff on the warm up and there was no loosening my right groin especially. I had a feeling I was going to die out on the course somewhere but no idea how soon. Before the race I was handed my new club singlet. There was no backing out now. The conditions were mild and overcast. About 600 runners turned out for this one. The race grows each year in the picturesque village. Its a good race with an honest course profile. My only gripe was that the markers were in miles, for a 10k?!

I had originally targetted a PB for this race but that was pared down to a plan of just getting through it as best I could. I decided to go out at my original pace anyway for kicks. It meant holding onto a girl form the club, Tracey. I figured she was after a 37 when she hit the first km in 3:30 and me on her shoulder. We had a slight breeze in our face after that and I didn't want to be the guy hiding from it behind a girl so I pushed on ahead. The next km came up at 3:46 and I was at 181HR. Ominous. Next up was a 3:50, 53, 56 and then I faltered to a 4:05. I was passed by plenty but strangely enough not Tracey :confused: The lead girl had long since vanished and I figured she would have been on her heels

I hit 5 miles in 31:17 and was just slogging it out at this stage. I was coughing at times which didn't help either. At times I felt like stopping and walking but each time I'd try to surge. 3 West Limerick lads passed me at pace and I tried in vain to hang onto them. I just had nothing in the tank. The middle of the course has a few drags and they sapped any legs I had. With 1.5km to go Tracey passed me and figured that since I am now part of a club I had to dig in. At this point I was just trying to save face and get under 40 minutes. She was feeling it as much if not more than I. With about 800m to go the village was in sight and it was mostly downhill from here. I lifted the pace and ran as hard as I could for the final km.

I crossed the line with exactly 10.00km on the watch in 38:42 for 34th place. Honestly, I was just glad it was done and actually pretty happy with a 38 all considered. My DOMS were worse afterwards and I felt like a bag of bones on the coold down jog. My PB is from this race last year, a 38:09 with a hard 5 hour bike put down the day before :rolleyes: I'm so far off that shape now its just not funny...
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/153018114

Overall this was another crap week. Very very annoying. I am feeling a bit better though and will get back into it this week, cautiously.

• Advertisement

You've got more character and balls than most for even giving the race a chance, especially considering you were the newbie wearing the team singlet. Holy cow, you've been sick...and to dig in like you did merits a pat on the back. Honestly, you did a heck of a job. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Great effort considering the last few weeks.

What is it with these runners and their miles though??

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Well done Mr MCOS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice running Mike. All things considered you have to be quite happy with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Yep that's solid running coming back off illness and missed sessions.
    Good work and a decent time too.
    Close to last year considering, and looked as though not many were faster except for winner and Mike O'Brien eh! Fast times!
    Pretty solid from Dave R1 too.

MrCreosote wrote: »
    What is it with these runners and their miles though??
    I don't know. I managed to convert splits after 2 miles but didn't care after that
    Nice running Mike. All things considered you have to be quite happy with that?
    Hmmm happy is not quite the word but I wasn't disappointed. I'll find another 10k to do this year to see if I have more to give.
    Fazz wrote: »
    Yep that's solid running coming back off illness and missed sessions.
    Good work and a decent time too.
    Close to last year considering, and looked as though not many were faster except for winner and Mike O'Brien eh! Fast times!
    Pretty solid from Dave R1 too.
    Cheers. Yeah MoB is flying and was happy with his run. One IMAT tracker I'll be glued to. Didn't see DaveR1 afterwardas so not ure how he felt about his race.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Well done for toughing it out and getting your revenge on Tracey from last year. Keith Ryan is gas, its like he's given up on his own running to be her personal pacer these days :D

I was gonna do it but flights didn't suit. Judging by the results i'd have been in the 37's i'd say.

Finally a half decent session. Yesterday was just a swim but with DeePop and Dory Dory putting down some monster swims I thought I do a longer one than usual.

Long swim
    I had no other plan than just to swim comfortably for an hour and see how I felt. Maybe put down 4k. I set off to do this. I completed tumble turns at either end for the first km until I got one horribly wrong and ended up in teh deep en on the pool floor after exhaling sharply. I had to gasp hard for a breath when I resurfaced. I quit the tumble turns after that. Apart from one guy deciding to walk the last 10m of each length and another fella sprawled across the deck at the wall like he was sitting on an armchair, it was a calm enough lane. I just cruised up and down for 2.9km.

I had noticed the tri club session going through their warm up and as I was getting a tad' bored I decided to join them for their main set. It was 1.6km of work mostly at CSS pace.
    4*100
    2*200
    1 minute rest
    2*200
    1*400
    I lead the lads, including Bennymul out and built the pace over the first 2 200s. I then hit the next 200s hard in a shade over 3 minutes each. With my goal of 4k done I pushed the 400 to see what I'd get. 6:06. Not too bad. I had a good feel for the water and was happy to hold CSS for it.

I hopped back into the public lane as the throng of masters gathered on deck and did another 500 easy. The lane was busy so it involved a bit of breast stroking too. When I was done the tri group had jumped in too to do a 500 swim down. I joined them for a very easy cool down. It was going well until the last 75m when the inside of my left calf suddenly locked into a vicious cramp. I couldn't move. I hugged the rope and tried not to let my legs get in the way of the masters fast lane ploughing towards me. In fairness to the tri lads they thought I was in trouble and hung about until I moved. It felt as though a large dog had his teeth clamped fimly around my ankle and it took the guts of 2 minutes to loosen it. It was a sure sign that I was done for the day! I swam the last length very gingerly indeed.

Total 5,500m in 1:37 - longest set I've put down :)

Total 5,500m in 1:37 - longest set I've put down
    This is all Dory's fault you know.

Well done for toughing it out and getting your revenge on Tracey from last year. Keith Ryan is gas, its like he's given up on his own running to be her personal pacer these days :D

I was gonna do it but flights didn't suit. Judging by the results i'd have been in the 37's i'd say.

Cheers. Yeah he belted off ahead with Tracey's fella and at about 8km I saw him jogging on the spot at the side of the road waiting for her. He then joined her and dragged her passed me. I hung onto them and kicked on for the last km using his encouragement of her to push me ;) A few weeks ago before I was ill I was expecting 37 so I'll have a go at that another day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Very good session, 5.5k, hmmm? I'd go broke playing poker with you and Dory, the stakes just keep getting higher:D I'm very jealous of that time.

I'm also having calf issues towards the end of longer swims (plantar cramps too), Dr. Selfdiagnose reckons they are coming from kicking at knee too much. They stretch out quick enough, and keeping a straight leg seems to help. Mind you. I've not been drinking water on these long swims, so maybe thats got something to do with it? How do you deal with stretching for/during swims?

Oryx wrote: »
    This is all Dory's fault you know.
    I'll blame her for that horrible cramp then ;)
    Very good session, 5.5k, hmmm? I'd go broke playing poker with you and Dory, the stakes just keep getting higher:D I'm very jealous of that time.

I'm also having calf issues towards the end of longer swims (plantar cramps too), Dr. Selfdiagnose reckons they are coming from kicking at knee too much. They stretch out quick enough, and keeping a straight leg seems to help. Mind you. I've not been drinking water on these long swims, so maybe thats got something to do with it? How do you deal with stretching for/during swims?
    It could also be from kicking off the wall so many times. You do your long swims in a 25m pool right? :eek: Yep water too, I maybe drank 500ml of water...

As for stretching for/during swims? Apart from loosening up the shoulders.. nada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

It could also be from kicking off the wall so many times. You do your long swims in a 25m pool right? :eek: Yep water too, I maybe drank 500ml of water...

As for stretching for/during swims? Apart from loosening up the shoulders.. nada

That makes sense, I think this is the issue. Yeah, its a 25m pool, and I have a fairly strong kick (which is why I feel my distances are somewhat flattered).

Will get water too, ta.

I take full responsibility here...and offer massage services to any and all legitimate cramps. ;)

Most cramps usually come from dehydration and overexertion (as you both know)...and I would bet dollars to doughnuts that the primary reason you boys got cramps in your legs is that you were entering new territory - translation: pushing your body and swimming distances you've never swam before. Hydration may play a role, but my money's on overexertion and fatigue. I'd also bet cramping will go away as your distance fitness improves...for the both of ye. :)

Nice job, by the way. Looks like my next target will be 8k, which I've already done once about 6 weeks ago, but I'll be looking to do it again in much better fashion. Perhaps the three of us (or anyone else who wants in on the fun - Oryx??) should work our way to a nice round 10k session..either yards or meters. You boys/girl tell me. ;)

Not a chance. Up to now the longest swims I was doing was 2k. Ten is a bit of a reach and will have to wait. Off with you, tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

5.5km in 97mins!
    Serious swimming there, that's what, 1:45 average per 100m throughout!
    No hangin around for breath there so..

Youll catch me up in SBR if that continues in no time!
    Massive swim!

I don't feel like typing this after reading Bambaata's log entry :(

Turbo threshold session
    It was on the plan but maybe not realistic given my lack of saddle time the last 2 weeks. The session called for 3 16 minutes reps as 4minutes under FTP, 8 minuts over and 4 minutes under. 4 minutes easy in between.

It didn't work, I had no legs for it. I spent a very frustarting 40 minutes calibrating, fixing and recalibrating the turbo before I got going. I had an Avicci Esssential Mix blaring but it didn't spur me on. I was wasted after the first rep alone. My heart rate was higher than usual and I felt like I was pedalling squares. I got 5 minutes into the second rep and I could barely hold 90% let alone 100%+. I thus bailed and spun easy until I became to annoyed to continue. I did 55 minutes of the 75 prescribed and less than half the interval work. It cost me more energy too :mad:

I've done sweet F all training so its not fatigue from that. I'm clearly just not 100% healthy yet and belting into the pain cave after 2 weeks off the bike is not advisable. I know I'll get it back eventually. It just doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Squad Swim
    My swim nemesis thought I had dropped off the face of the earth. Its been a while alright since I have been down. The lane was busy enough and I wanted to join the tail end to swim on some lanky feet. The usual peer pressure put me in behind the tecnician again with my nemesis on my feet. The set was
    8*100 easy warm up
    3*400 medium, hard and max
    8*100 medium
    6*50 backstroke
    6*50 easy

The 400s were tough. I felt great about holding onto the technician's feet for the first one but then found out that the fish were doing it easy :rolleyes: I lost maybe 10m on the next effort and put about the same distance on my nemesis. I worked like a dog on the 3rd and finished half a length off the tehnician and about 15m ahead of my nemesis. I was tired after it but feeling pretty good about taking my swim nemesis on in Kilkee Bay this summer :D

A Life Without Limits
    I got this yesterday. I like sporting autobiographies and I have high expectations for this one. I've only started and chapter 1 is painfully generic drivel but its getting more interesting. I hadn't anticipated an autobio so much since Stephen Redgrave's one. CW is probably one of the only athletes I've truely admired since too. I literally can't wait to get home to get stuck in again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

A Life Without Limits
    I got this yesterday. I like sporting autobiographies and I have high expectations for this one. I've only started and chapter 1 is painfully generic drivel but its getting more interesting. I hadn't anticipated an autobio so much since Stephen Redgrave's one. CW is probably one of the only athletes I've truely admired since too. I literally can't wait to get home to get stuck in again...

I read it over the weekend and whilst it's a little bit "generic drivel" in places, overall I found it a good read. The relationship and dynamic between her and Brett Sutton was the most interesting bit for me.

I came oh so close to packing it all in last night. I was even working out what I'd sell my garmin and TT bike for. LIFE has been challenging to say the least the last couple of weeks and training, my outlet, has been rubbish. I'd been feeling like this for a while now but a candid chat with my Bro' at his gym the other day stirred the beast that puts this demon bck in his box. He had some awful new last week and training, his outlet too, was recently absent.

As we chatted I watched him literally push through a pain barrier doing chin ups with a dumbell half his body weight strapped to him. He is as strong as an ox and has twice the mental tenacity. I'd love if he was into endurance stuff like me as he would push me like no one else could. He is the kind of person that just doesn't give up. His 'aerobic' conditioning involves 12*500m repeats on a Concept 2 rower at 1:42/500m pace with a minute rest, the anthisesis of his strength training goals and a session rowers would be happy to put down! His other goal is to push and pull massive weights.

I took some inspiration in how he handled his bad news, his life dilemma and chanelled every ounce of his strength into a single lift or a single pull. He can be ferocious about his goals. He gives everything an honest effort and he can put his body on the line like few others I know. The thing that got me was that I know he looks up to me and this can be the most humbling thing when I am weak and letting my demons run the show.

Anyway my demon last night changed his gameplan. Instead of the usual false confidence he tempts me with it was the other side of the coin. "you are not strong enough, you are behind, you will never catch up, you are too old, you have no time, you can bail out and just tell them you did it, you can't run, you are fat, you are unfit etc..."

Turbo Sweetspot session
    The turbo session was a simple 65 minutes with 2*20 minutes at 90-95% FTP effort included. Its a sweetspot session that is tough usually but comfortably strong. You generally work hard and feel great afterwards. I struggled with it. My heart rate was higher than usual for the warm up and perceived effort. So much so that I checked and rechecked the calibration in the hope that it was off. No Chance, it was perfect.

It was a magnificent clear evening so I set the turbo up on the decking. I doubt my choice of thumping tunes impressed the elderly neighbours but maybe they didn't hear! The first rep was shocking. I just wanted to hold circa 300w but again I was pedalling squares. I stopped pedalling a couple of times only to give out to myself and lash back into it. I was wrecked after 20 minutes and knew the second rep would be hard. My HR maxed at 163 which was more like threshold output.

8 minutes into the second rep I gave up. My left quad had some sort of strained hangover from the 10k and both quads were hurting. I was done. Caz was even trying to get me to get off and let it be, I was not myself clearly. T felt very annoyed. I felt like a complete wuss to be excact and wanted to run and hide. It didn't help that I was in the midst of reading CWs autobiography that has me caught between feeling motivated and inadequate. It was the image of my Bro literally pushing his demons away that made me reach for the bottle of HTFU and take a few hearty gulps. I started pedalling again and finished the last 12 minutes as darkness fell. It was hard work and my heart rate hit a max of 169. It felt more like a test session.

Transition Run
    A few minutes later after putting on sme dry gear I was sitting on the bottom step of the stairs putting my feet into running shoes. The sweat rolled off my forehead onto the tiles. My demon was back. "you are done, you can't run, you are fat, you are unfit etc..." The turbo took a fair bit out of me but I struggled again with the motivation to get out the door. I was rooted to the step in a trance. Through the window I saw a couple of girls run past the gates and it sort of snapped me back out of it. I got out the door immediately and stretched my easy run from 20 minute out to 40 working out the gmes my mind was playing on me.

As I cooled down and ran I felt better and more positive. The pace was easy but again took more in terms of percieved effort that I'd like. I actually quite enjoyed the run. It was calm and fresh and there were lots of other runners about their business. I had various muscles giving out when I finished up so rolled them all out and did some core exercise. I generally felt happy to have put the session down but it was a real rollercoaster of emotion for some reason.

I'm not in the shape I'd want to be at this point but I have to trust I'll get it back. I have my first adventure race next weekend. Its just some fun but I simply HAVE to get out on the bike for some spins up hills. It helps that I have a few days off work next week :)

Motivation hit rock bottom yesterday. Today is a different day though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

I came oh so close to packing it all in last night. I was even working out what I'd sell my garmin and TT bike for. LIFE has been challenging to say the least the last couple of weeks and training, my outlet, has been rubbish. I'd been feeling like this for a while now but a candid chat with my Bro' at his gym the other day stirred the beast that puts this demon bck in his box. He had some awful new last week and training, his outlet too, was recently absent.

As we chatted I watched him literally push through a pain barrier doing chin ups with a dumbell half his body weight strapped to him. He is as strong as an ox and has twice the mental tenacity. I'd love if he was into endurance stuff like me as he would push me like no one else could. He is the kind of person that just doesn't give up. His 'aerobic' conditioning involves 12*500m repeats on a Concept 2 rower at 1:42/500m pace with a minute rest, the anthisesis of his strength training goals and a session rowers would be happy to put down! His other goal is to push and pull massive weights.

I took some inspiration in how he handled his bad news, his life dilemma and chanelled every ounce of his strength into a single lift or a single pull. He can be ferocious about his goals. He gives everything an honest effort and he can put his body on the line like few others I know. The thing that got me was that I know he looks up to me and this can be the most humbling thing when I am weak and letting my demons run the show.

Anyway my demon last night changed his gameplan. Instead of the usual false confidence he tempts me with it was the other side of the coin. "you are not strong enough, you are behind, you will never catch up, you are too old, you have no time, you can bail out and just tell them you did it, you can't run, you are fat, you are unfit etc..."

Turbo Sweetspot session
    The turbo session was a simple 65 minutes with 2*20 minutes at 90-95% FTP effort included. Its a sweetspot session that is tough usually but comfortably strong. You generally work hard and feel great afterwards. I struggled with it. My heart rate was higher than usual for the warm up and perceived effort. So much so that I checked and rechecked the calibration in the hope that it was off. No Chance, it was perfect.

It was a magnificent clear evening so I set the turbo up on the decking. I doubt my choice of thumping tunes impressed the elderly neighbours but maybe they didn't hear! The first rep was shocking. I just wanted to hold circa 300w but again I was pedalling squares. I stopped pedalling a couple of times only to give out to myself and lash back into it. I was wrecked after 20 minutes and knew the second rep would be hard. My HR maxed at 163 which was more like threshold output.

8 minutes into the second rep I gave up. My left quad had some sort of strained hangover from the 10k and both quads were hurting. I was done. Caz was even trying to get me to get off and let it be, I was not myself clearly. T felt very annoyed. I felt like a complete wuss to be excact and wanted to run and hide. It didn't help that I was in the midst of reading CWs autobiography that has me caught between feeling motivated and inadequate. It was the image of my Bro literally pushing his demons away that made me reach for the bottle of HTFU and take a few hearty gulps. I started pedalling again and finished the last 12 minutes as darkness fell. It was hard work and my heart rate hit a max of 169. It felt more like a test session.

Transition Run
    A few minutes later after putting on sme dry gear I was sitting on the bottom step of the stairs putting my feet into running shoes. The sweat rolled off my forehead onto the tiles. My demon was back. "you are done, you can't run, you are fat, you are unfit etc..." The turbo took a fair bit out of me but I struggled again with the motivation to get out the door. I was rooted to the step in a trance. Through the window I saw a couple fo girls run past the gates and it sort of snapped me back out of it. I got out the door immediately and stretched my easy run from 20 minute out to 40 working out teh gmes my mind was playing on me.

As I cooled down and ran I felt better and more positive. The pace was easy but again took more in terms of percieved effort that I'd like. I actually quite enjoyed the run. It was calm and fresh and there were lots fo other runners about their business. I had various muscles giving out when I finished up so rolled them all out and did some core exercise. I generally felt happy to have put the session down but it was a real rollercoaster emotion for some reason.

I'm not in the shape I'd want to be at this point but I have to trust I'll get it back. I have my first adventure race next weekend. Its just some fun but I simply HAVE to get out on the bike for some spins up hills. It helps that I have a few days off work next week :)

Motivation hit rock bottom yesterday. Today is a different day though.

When you are low on mojo, chasing girls usually works...:)

Aside from the real life stuff, would one of the reasons be that your A goal (assuming Barcelona is it), is so far away?

Either way you'll get it done.

Advertisement