Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

140.6 deep breaths...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Loving these hill running reports.

That route looks like is incorporates some of the route for the Brian Boru tri. Some nice steep running out there.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Beeyoootiful writing there young man. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Next week in A/R/T: shotgun goes on a wine-tasting course, and donot borrows a book from his local library...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

RayCun wrote: »
    Next week in A/R/T: shotgun goes on a wine-tasting course, and donot borrows a book from his local library...

I was just thinking we should swap gear for a while!

Great fun reading that shotgun, you've clearly got a lot of talent as a hill runner. To be honest, I'm amazed that you could have given it such wellie on the downhill, I was sure your legs would be tight from last weeks (initial) downhill outing. Yet more proof of the restitutive powers of multisport!

From your description of the run, you'd love Tonelagee and the Lake race, its a bit of a hike for you though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

That route looks like is incorporates some of the route for the Brian Boru tri. Some nice steep running out there.
    Its was basically the BB route in reverse at night. Pretty spectacular.
    Great fun reading that shotgun, you've clearly got a lot of talent as a hill runner. To be honest, I'm amazed that you could have given it such wellie on the downhill, I was sure your legs would be tight from last weeks (initial) downhill outing. Yet more proof of the restitutive powers of multisport!
    From your description of the run, you'd love Tonelagee and the Lake race, its a bit of a hike for you though.
    I dunno about that DeePop I was almost falling down the hill and I had to stop a few times on the ascent. My legs were pretty tight up to Friday last week actually and I really felt them after the long run on Sunday. The post long run easy turbo spin down + hot bath with epsom salts + compression gear combo did the trick. I wasn't exactly fresh for the hill run either as tuesday is usually a hard turbo day for me. That looks like a nice run alright but alas! I'm doing a triathlon that day and I'm no good when it comes to navigation. I doubt myself at every fork in every trail. Part of the 'giving it wellie' is got to do with keeping someone in my sights as a breadcrumb :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Bravo there young man! Well done on all fronts....and best I can tell, other than a sentence at the beginning and your summary at the end, you did it all in one paragraph!! ;)

Tumble turn practice
    I had a freak of a day at hell work and needed a session to restore some calm. The turbo wasn't a fit for that description and I just needed to let of steam rather than wind up further with a set of work. The pool was reasonably quiet by the time I hopped in and I just swam. No plan other than to try a tumble turn at the deep end each length. The first dozen efforts or so were absolutely atrocious. I inhaled water, drank water, swam vertically, crashed into the wall and became a genuine danger to the young wildlife on deck.

I copped a couple of things along the way.

Inhaling the water was due to not timing my breath and exhaling too heavily on the turn.
    Swimming vertically due to a slow turn and opening my body early thus swimming towards the floor. I figured this one out when I attempted a tumble turn in the shallow end and hit the floor.
    Crashing into the wall was simply a case of mistiming the last stroke and turning slow.

So, I decided to speed up the turn and wait for my body to roll before I planted my feet. It improved. Not to the degree of doing it confidentally in a group setting but to something to work from instead of winging it. Once over the minor panic at the deep end each length I settled and enjoyed 90% of each 100.

I was cruising along happily when at 7pm what seemed like hundreds of kids descended on the deck like a flock of migrating birds landing at once to feed. We were turfed out of our lane by the Coaches and I sized up the potential. The serenity of the previous lane had evolved into the craziness of the general breaststroking, curb crawling mob. There wasn't a hope of swimming smoothly through this lot of lunatics so I hopped out. It was one of those straight 2ks that we discussed in the swimming for tri thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056529153. A short session that served its purpose as a stress reliever and tumble turn practice.

The noise of the pre-early teen chatter was deafening. I had to fight my way into a shower space to witness an alien species of chatter "like, soo ah like it was like ya soo like totally like as if she soo like said to the yaa like totally hot like guy who like soo didn't even like give her a ya like so whatevvvvver..." Did we seriously chase these creatures when we were that age?! :confused: I doubt it. Who knows what they will morph into. Hardly the quintessential SBR hoochies we virtually chase these days :D

Total 2,000m in 34 minutes, average pace 1:42/100m

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ...and best I can tell, other than a sentence at the beginning and your summary at the end, you did it all in one paragraph!! ;)
    Noted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Total 2,000m in 34 minutes, average pace 1:42/100m

Nice numbers. And beautiful paragraphs.:)

Holy crap! Paragraphs! :)

And if that wasn't enough, tumble turns and Valley Girl speak on top of the rap chat he threw down this morning. Is there no end to this boy's talent? ;)

5AM: Easy Turbo with surges
    After a long day at work yesterday I was too hungry and tired to do the harder turbo and didn't fancy eating so late if I did the session. I thus decided to swap the easy short weekend turbo into the space and to be done before this morning's swim. I didn't bother to calibrate, brush my teeth, refresh the water bottle or get kitted up. I just hopped on sleepily and got on with it. After 20 I was sweating enough to open the utility door and thankfully remember to turn off the house alarm before doing so! The session was uneventful. Steady 80% FTP effort with some gentle surges. Box ticked.

7AM: Squad swim
    800 warm up as 16*50 with some drills and kicking
    4*50 with 25 fast 25 easy
    4*100 max effort off 4 minutes, in on 1:13 PB :eek:, 1:18, 1:19, 1:18 -Ouch!
    900 endurance as 6*150 steady/50 choice
    200 super easy
    400 steady
    2,900m total

The Coach set an RT of 4 minutes for the fast 100s meaning he wanted us to drill it. My 100 PB was 1:16 and I thought I'd have a hop off it so I just went for it on the first rep swam as hard as I could and came home in 1:13, a new PB. I was swimming in lactic acid though and the oxygen just didn't return for the next 3. I burnt myself on the PB attempt and got it. The next 3 reps were done with as much gusto but all involved spectacular fades after 60m. I was very pleased to just keep the last one sub 1:20. The rest of the set felt like swimming with large clubs for arms...
    Nice numbers. And beautiful paragraphs.:)
    Holy crap! Paragraphs! :)

And if that wasn't enough, tumble turns and Valley Girl speak on top of the rap chat he threw down this morning. Is there no end to this boy's talent? ;)

I'm aspiring to both your logs :)

• Advertisement

Aerobic lunchtime run capped HR (155)
    I had to update the table as the distance was 8.2 not 8.3km and it counts when benchmarking. The conditions were cold bright and dry with a breeze in my face for the first half. I felt heavy and ragged today. It felt like a lot more work than it should. Like I had to drag my body around reluctantly. The time showed another improvement but it felt like anything but progress during the run, go figure :confused: This is why I checked the garmin data vs a manual map of the run and scale the run back to 8.2km. Its all relative anyway its the very same route, progess is progress. I'm 3 minutes quicker for the same route since the start of the year at the same heart rate and I'll take that. Again I couldn't keep the heart rate below 155 on 2 drags. I have to be more stubborn with the objective. Done traning for the day now..

Progression
    Date|Route|Time|Avg Pace|Avg HR|Max HR|Conditions
    Jan 05|8.2km|37:43|4:36|151|157|mild and windy
    Jan 13|8.2km|36:28|4:27|147|155|mild and calm
    Jan 19|8.2km|35:11|4:17|151|157|cold, wet and windy
    Jan 24|8.2km|35:17|4:18|151|158|mild, light wind and v wet
    Feb 03|8.2km|34:48|4:14|151|157|cold, dry and sunny

Fantastic day there - wow. Your run probably felt like a lot more work due to the fact that you already had a turbo session and a swim session (with a pb!!) under your belt. Question - how did you like cycling THEN swimming?

. Question - how did you like cycling THEN swimming?
    I didn't it sucked.

Now.. if it was an easy 'stop for icecream along en route' kinda mountain bike on a warm sunny day. Followed by a dip in a cool calm lake with an adventurous SBR hoochie for company, it wouldn't be so bad ;)

I didn't it sucked.

Now.. if it was an easy 'stop for icecream along en route' kinda mountain bike on a warm sunny day. Followed by a dip in a cool calm lake with an adventurous SBR hoochie for company, it wouldn't be so bad ;)

(sh!t! you da man.....)

Well, let me elbow my way to the front of the line! Woo hoo!!!! ;)

Turbo sweetspot
    1:06 on the saddle including 36 minutes of progressive FTP work. Felt good, but wished I was out cycling up a mountain :(

Long run
    Its an easy week so this was basically the same route as last week with no intensity. 25km run at base 148 HR at about 4:35 pace. Nice chilly morning. Had to get it done early as the rest of the day was hosting shotgunjuniors birthday party. Serious sugar belly going on.

Giants 9-0 up but I'm wrecked so off to the bed...

NYG 15, NE 17 w/ 1 min to go. New York goes up w/ td at 57 sec to go...2 point conversion does not work. NE gets ball back on 20 yard line w/ one time out. Brady - incompletion. Then dropped pass. Then Brady sacked. Time out, NE. 4th and 16...39 sec to go. Completion, first down, out of bounds, clock stops. Completion, first down. Brady downs ball w/ 19 sec. Then incompletion....but NY had too many men on field, still 2nd down. 9 sec. Incompletion....now third down w/ 5 sec. CRAZY final throw by Brady into the end zone.....but incomplete. NY wins, 21-17.

There you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

NYG 15, NE 17 w/ 1 min to go. New York goes up w/ td at 57 sec to go...2 point conversion does not work. NE gets ball back on 20 yard line w/ one time out. Brady - incompletion. Then dropped pass. Then Brady sacked. Time out, NE. 4th and 16...39 sec to go. Completion, first down, out of bounds, clock stops. Completion, first down. Brady downs ball w/ 19 sec. Then incompletion....but NY had too many men on field, still 2nd down. 9 sec. Incompletion....now third down w/ 5 sec. CRAZY final throw by Brady into the end zone.....but incomplete. NY wins, 21-17.

There you have it.

:confused:

:confused:

2012 Superbowl
    Man, that was an exciting finish too. Thanks for the commentry Dory Dory. I had done a marathon kiddies birthday and went jelly for jelly with them all. I slowly succumbed to a sugar low slumber at the start of the 2nd quarter. I only had a fleeting interest anyway after the 49ers bowed out so close to the line :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I made it to half time and to be honest still don't fully get the game:rolleyes: I heard a crazy stat last night that 1/7th of the worlds population tune in to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

A frequently misquoted figure from NFL press releases has led to the common perception that the Super Bowl has an annual global audience of around one billion people.[12][13] In reality, the NFL states one billion as the game's potential worldwide audience, or the number of people able to watch the game.[14] The New York-based media research firm Initiative measured the global audience for the 2005 Super Bowl at 93 million people, with 98 percent of that figure being viewers in North America, which meant roughly 2 million people outside North America watched the Super Bowl.[12]

Olympics opening ceremony wins, followed by the World Cup final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Had to skim read this thread today. I know the Giants won, but the match is recorded for turbo watching this week, and I'd prefer none of the details thank you. I've stayed up to watch in the past and ended up being wrecked until Thursday..

It's always fun to watch, even in years when I don't care who wins....but thinking about it, I think it's more fun to watch in years when I don't care who wins. Commercials were semi amusing...some more than others. The commercials with animals are always my faves....there was this one with a bunch of monkeys (and poison ivy shampoo - bad idea!) that got me chuckling....

Lunchtime aerobic capped heart rate run
    It was time to move onto the next route for now. At least a recce to get it off the ground. The 5 runs over the 8.2km route have shown improvement and I'm not done with it at all. I just wanted variety this week. The 10.2km route is tougher and being longer too means I've tighter transition times to make it back to my desk within the hour. I'll do a garmin comparison of the 2 courses at some point. I felt really fresh and bouncy for a change starting out and my hearty rate stayed very settled for 20 minutes. This is the urban route and at lunchtime it provides obstacles in the form of pedestrians on their phone, motorists not looking where they are going, dog poo everywhere, 17 sets of lights and smelly deli distractions. Its has longer drags too making it more callenging to stick to the plan. It was a typically Irish wet mild spring day out there.
    Overall 10.2km in 44:34, pace 4:22, average HR 148, max 157.

Swim set
    I figured out that the craziness of the evening pool calms somewhat around 8pm. Hence some room for a longer main set. Probably not Dory Dory style long but a bit less rushed than the 70 minute window I have in the mornings. I still prefer to get harder swim sets done first thing.
    200 easy warm up
    20*50 kick with fins off 1:00
    800 steady at CSS+ 10 secs
    3*400 off 6:30 in on 6:20s
    4*200 off 3:30 in on 3:10-3:16
    200 backstroke with fins cool down
    Total 4,200m

I more of less enjoyed the set but the 400s were on a new level for me. I kept the kicking very controlled so as not to splash others. My kick is generally poor so I use the fins to work on it. The 800 was comfortable and I even got a few tumble turns in when no one was behind me or lingering at the wall. They still suck but I'm determined to learn.

The 400s were off a new repeat time and it was hard work. I made the RTs but just had enough time to gather a breath before setting off again. This tells me that this is the level I need to challenge myself at. It will lead to a proper set of 400s off 6:30 at some stage but 3 was enough for now. I was well heated up by the time Ibroke it down to 200s but I felt strong in the water. Good session.

Well done!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Had to get it done early as the rest of the day was hosting shotgunjuniors birthday party. Serious sugar belly going on.

Snap. I was entertaining 22 crazy 6 year olds at Delta Indoor Soccer on Saturday afternoon and was shellshocked for the rest of the day. Not sure if it was the come down from the sugar rush or just PTSD :D.

Scary numbers on the 400's. Well done. Keep up the good work

I have to treat intensity with caution. I find that I can absorb a volume of power or endurance work. However as soon as I bring the red zone into view, breakdown lurks at the side of the road like the Kayote holding a loose string to pull taut when the road runner zooms by. The road runner is usually too alert and clever to trip up though...

Turbo threshold session + transition run
    I knew this session would require signing on at the entrance of the pain cave. Caz was at the gym so I set the bike up in front of the TV to watch the Superbowl highlights. That half time show was bizarre
    20 min warm up easy
    6*10 min reps with 2 min 95% FTP, 4 min 105%, 2min 95%, 2 min easy
    10 min cool down

The average heart rate on the reps was 151, 153, 158, 162, 163 and 167
    I hit a max of 174 which is well and truly into Z5 for me. It was a brute of a session. The middle 4 minutes of each rep was at T20 pace.

I took a a few minutes to transition as I had to tidy the turbo away and get into some dry gear. The run was an out and back 5km building the pace to a tempo for the return. Despite the turbo session hurting I found some run legs for this putting the kms down as 4:24, 4:20, 4:00, 3:46, 3:41. It dragged slowly uphill on the way out which made it easier to get the tempo pace up on the return. I hit a max HR of 179 on the run and although I was running hard by the end It didn't feel as hard as the turbo. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/147956679
    Very solid session put down, happy with it.

Swim Squad
    I weighed in this morning to find I had gone 0.6 kg in the wrong direction. It was to be expected as my food discipline has been nothing short of shocking lately. I very nearly slept in again for this one, loving the toasty morning duvet too much. I was still sleepy hitting the pool deck..
    200 easy
    12*50 various warm up
    400 in 5:45 PB, 4*100 off 1:40 in on 1:30s
    1 minute res
    2*200 off 3:20 in on 3:00, 4*100 in on low 1:30s
    1 minute rest
    400 in 5:58, 4*100 off 1:40 in on low to mid 1:30s
    4*50 as 25 hard 25 easy
    100 back stroke cool down
    Total 3,500m.

I chased DaveR1's feet to hit the 400 PB but was pretty spent afterwards. I dropped back a spot for a 'breather' for the middle set with 200s before chasing DaveR1 again for the second 400. I couldn't even catch him let alone hang on this time and dogged it out. He was hanging onto the Tecnician's feet who is back to her usual form. I tried a 25 Fly afterwards and nearly drowned. Hard swim and happy to just get through it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Nice PB mcos and nice swim session overall, very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Superb swimming there Michael.
    Nice pb indeed... I accidentally did the same this morning, good bit slower though!
    400m in 6:03 at start of 3k split set, was aiming for 6:10's so didn't even go for it. Hoping to be sub 6 when I do go for next 400 tt.

Solid overall session there good work.

• Advertisement

Hill Run
    Sliding about in the mud is not strictly part of the Plan. A hilly run is, but going up and down one large hill is infinitely more fun to me than series of poo-covered smaller urban hills. Plus it breaks up the week and the usual SBR sessions nicely. When I rock up to my first IMRA race too it shouldn't be a huge shock to the system :) My shiny new Innov8's received a proper baptism last night.

I managed to make the rendez-vous point on time this week. A nice gang of 15-20 bodies assembled again and cars pooled up to the start point. The organiser was hatching ideas of extending this 'short' 7km run. Running from the rendez-vous would make it a 430m or so climb but the first 3km and 200m ascent would be on road before turning off to the trail. The other idea would be to run over the top of the trail and back up the other side which he described as 'nasty'! I quizzed him a bit more about the run series and it turns out that they have only missed 2 midweek runs in 3 years! They ran every week of that bitter winter last year :eek: IMRA folk are hardy boys n' girls indeed!

The run itself was different to the other ones I've done thus far. The gradient for the most part was not as severe although there were a few nice ramps to stop you in your tracks. The terrain was softer and looser too. Wet mud and gravel until you hit a tamac road at the top. We set off en masse and I spotted the tall figure of bigRon up ahead. He knew something I didn't and that was that the trail was a bottleneck to begin with. It was almost single track for a km unless you fancy running through ditches. I just ran comfortably and patiently taking my opportunity to pass when there was a lower chance of me elbowing a girl into the same ditch. After a few minutes I was right behind bigRon.

I stayed there until the trail widened and then pushed on. Ifelt him pick up his pace too. A few lads had bolted off into the darkness. It was pitch dark too and a light fog made visibility that bit trickier. There had been a healthy rainfall earlier to sodden the trail and every once in a while your foot disappeared into a nice soft mudpile. I found a steadier rhythm than last time and made it a lot further before I stopped for a quick breather. I just have to get used to the constant climbing. I had to stop at one point to tie my shoe lace and when I glanced back down the trail I could see 3-4 head torches right behind me. With a km to the top we left the trail to join a tarmac road. You couldn't see it from the ditches. Everything was black. Every 30m or so was a single cateye on the road which guided us like a clandestine landing strip.

I was passed in the opposite direction by a few of the fast climbers and set myself a target of catching 2 of them on the descent. I summitted and turned shortly afterwards and chased back down the dark road. Descending was a completely different experience. If it wasn't for the cateyes you would be guessing where the road was. You also had to avoid the other runners making their way up the hill. I caught my first target on the tarmac road before joining the trail again. The next 10 minutes for me was just pure adrenalin. I had just a few meters of visibility and I was covering the ground fast into a cold headwind. I was reeling in the next target quickly but I was on the edge too.

My ankle turned just enough to scare me and I lost my footing 4 times when the trail suddenly dipped. It required rapid recoveries not to fall each time. On the descent the trail winded like I hadn't noticed when ascending. I made some of the turns very very late and just as I got within striking distance of my 2nd target I ran straight into a ditch! It was a soft landing and I sort of bounced off it back to the trail which was odd. I only lost a few strides but he was already gone. I chased again and passed him just before we hit the very narrow section. I knew this was a bit more compact and opened up the lungs again and pulled away.

It felt exhilerating to catch a few lads who had outclimbed me. When I emerged from the trail I took the wrong turn on the country road. It only took a hundred meters or so to realise I was climbing again so I doubled back. By the time I passed the trail entrance the lad I passed had emerged and we ran together to the finish. The Hill run section was just 34 minutes but it was highly enjoyable and even scary at times. BigRon wasn't far behind. He is training for the Connemara Marathon and decided to jog back down the rest of the hill to the rendez-vous with another lad. I joined them for the 20 minute wind down and stretch.
    Overall 11.18km in 52:29, pace 442, average HR 152, max 174 (less spiking)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/148162820

On the way home I stopped off for bread and milk and spotted Terry's chocolate orange balls on sale for just €2. I couldn't resist and demolished it later with a cup of tea :o I don't know why but I have the discipline to drive 40 minutes out and back to run up a muddy hill but I struggle to kick the damn sugar habit....

Advertisement