Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So when Can I expect the HTC Desire HD to appear on the irish market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

They probably are, but I know Three unlock them if you call up so maybe VF will too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 magicaljaso

Fresh2000 wrote: »
    can any of you that bought it Today from Vodafone check if they are not locked to VF aka sim free?

I called into Vodafone Dundrum this afternoon and was told that the 479 phones are locked to Vodafone already. She even had a pricing for the sim free version - 699.

Does "locked" auto translate to bloatware is my question now?

Also Someone mentioned above that Vodafone will unlock the phone at a certain point for you?

Also, I forgot to mention that the "locked" 479 phone box I was shown was entirely unopened / plastic sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

I took my brothers 02 sim card and stuck it in the phone.

Worked perfect, was able to make calls send texts,
    easy peasy, so it's not locked. :D

I may just've been lucky to get one of the first ones. But it was one of the 479's.

That person in vodaphone was probably just saying what they are supposed too, as they will more then likely be locked in a week or so.

brendanL wrote: »
    I took my brothers 02 sim card and stuck it in the phone.

Worked perfect, was able to make calls send texts,
    easy peasy, so it's not locked. :D

I may just've been lucky to get one of the first ones. But it was one of the 479's.

That person in vodaphone was probably just saying what they are supposed too, as they will more then likely be locked in a week or so.

Aaarrgh! You're tempting me to take the risk! Once opened, no going back!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Does "locked" auto translate to bloatware is my question now?

Not necessarily, but it's indicative.

A rep on the VF forum here confirmed no operator software, but things change.

I saw someone on XDA Developers say he got one in Blanchardstown SC sim-free a few days ago (dunno if it's someone here, maybe brendan?). I rang Vodafone on Grafton Street and Liffey Valley and both said they were locked to VF and that they rarely sell any phones sim-free. :rolleyes:

Can't get through to Blanchardstown. Think I'll wait for Three to get them.

^ I would've thought that once you root any Android phone, it's easy enough to unlock, debloat, it.

But i could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Liffey valley have them, staff said there locked and were having none of me checking my sim card in the phone first which you cant blame them,big risk to take for 479 if it was locked though!

Yeah the girl said they had PAYG in stock, a pity! Big risk/reward factor :P

I wouldn't mind taking the risk if there was some sort of free unlock solution for the phone.

I don't know much about Android yet but heard theres only a temp-root for the phone so far, so I guess no chance of anything like an unlock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭runswithascript

mcbert wrote: »
    Reduced power consumption? I hope you are not suggesting the Desire HD will have better battery life than the Desire. Yep, the CPU/chipset is more efficient, but it is fed by a smaller battery, a has a more power-hungry screen.

I really wanted on of these, but have decided to wait...

Curious. To wait for what, have you your eye on a better upcoming phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Rumour is that with 3.0 there will be a significant move forward in terms of hardware. However, 2.3 seems to be the next version release early next year. I was tempted to wait for 3.0 when it was originally thought to be released in Feb, but I've decided to go for the Desire HD as 3.0 seems to be some time off & the Desire HD will most likely be getting 2.3.

MrGarak wrote: »
    I saw someone on XDA Developers say he got one in Blanchardstown SC sim-free a few days ago (dunno if it's someone here, maybe brendan?). I rang Vodafone on Grafton Street and Liffey Valley and both said they were locked to VF and that they rarely sell any phones sim-free. :rolleyes:

Can't get through to Blanchardstown. Think I'll wait for Three to get them.

Not me on xda,
    you can't get through to blanch? I found four different numbers on their site, the locations of the stores on their google map are hilariously wrong, but if you choose the text view and scroll down looking for them, there's 2 numbers listed for each store.

One of them eventually answered, sorry can't remember which I literrally ran out the door when they told me they had stock XD

I bit the bullet today!

Went to Vodafone in Liffey Valley as they said yesterday that they had stock. Asked for a PAYG DHD and the guy went and checked, said they had none left. I asked if he could check Blanchardstown and it said there was one left, but the stock was checked nightly and that it might be gone, asked if I wanted to go on a waiting list.

Raced over to Blanchardstown SC, the girl at the store there said the same, that one was left and went to check, and luckily enough I got the last one!

Started it up and sure enough no branding, also sim-free! Extremely happy camper! Switching it off now to condition the battery correctly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Did it include an 8gb memory card MrGarak ?

Yup a Samsung card, class 2 I think.

yeah
    I was happily surprised when I came across the 8gig sd card :D

Battery life was not great over the first few days, but after some tweaking and app downloading things got better.

Starting at 7:30am with 100%, it lasted the whole day today and I got home with 40% at 7, and there was some intensive lightsaber battles+angry birds on the way home today ;D. So pretty happy on that front, however turning the screens brightness up past 40, you can literally watch the battery drain ;D

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

Got mine today as well still get to terms with it.
    I was also quite happy to find a 8gb sd card. I havnt really had much playing with it apart from loading my contacts on and trying to sync them with facebook to get there photos not all worked so had to do them manually which was a pain.

One annoying point I have is when ya go to dial screen and press on phonebook it doesnt open instantly is quite laggy anyone else have this issue?

brendanL wrote: »
    yeah
    , but after some tweaking and app downloading things got better.
    ;D

After some music, some browsing, battery life really doesn't seem that bad.

...or maybe it's because i've a long history of phones with lousy battery life.

Still, any hints would be welcome. :)

Switching it off now to condition the battery correctly. :D

Whats the plan, let it charge for 14 hrs first time ? and after............

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Hi Mitch
    Have you been good all year? smile.gif Then you might just get your Xmas wish. The Desire HD will be here in time for Xmas. Early November in fact.

Thanks
    Meteor talk to us

Just saw this on the meteor forum, im sim free with o2 at the mo have a 3gs but want a desire, so will prob be heading back to meteor.
    But I think the VF plan is quite quite.. 279 for bill pay new customer, & only 479 new? At least thought it would be free cause its prob an 18month contract?

bogman wrote: »
    Whats the plan, let it charge for 14 hrs first time ? and after............

Just let it charge until it says full and then use up the battery completely, the charger disconnects itself when the battery is full so no need to leave it on any longer than when it displays as full.

It takes a few cycles like this to get up to running at it's best.

I'm still on my first charge since about 17.20 after doing a fair bit of playing around, so the battery life seems decent enough to me too. I have a few things turned off like bluetooth and GPS.

How do remove having all my facebook contacts details on my dial screen?

Just let it charge until it says full and then use up the battery completely, the charger disconnects itself when the battery is full so no need to leave it on any longer than when it displays as full.

Just got mine, 8gb card too, running the battery down b4 charging it, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

funnyclub wrote: »
    How do remove having all my facebook contacts details on my dial screen?

change the phonebook settings to only display contacts with phone numbers.

Baza210 wrote: »
    change the phonebook settings to only display contacts with phone numbers.

Its showing all facebook contacts with numbers even if there not my contacts in my phone book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

New HTC desire hd, It's winner!

Just 50 bills when trading in my old phone!

Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭yfaykya

Baz_ wrote: »
    New HTC desire hd, It's winner!

Just 50 bills when trading in my old phone!

Awesome!

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

ok so I now want this phone!

So what are my options?! I'm with meteor on payg so does anyone know if meteor are going to bring this out on payg?

What network (s) have it at the moment?

is it sim free?

is it on display anywhere so I can see how big it is?

thanks all

• Advertisement

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    ok so I now want this phone!

So what are my options?! I'm with meteor on payg so does anyone know if meteor are going to bring this out on payg?

What network (s) have it at the moment?

is it sim free?

is it on display anywhere so I can see how big it is?

thanks all

only on vf so far. Should have a dummy on the shelves.
    Seems they may be branded and locked. Payg is479

Advertisement