Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So when Can I expect the HTC Desire HD to appear on the irish market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Meteor will have it soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nision

I hope so, i was told the end of November. Which to my obsessed craving mind isnt soon at all. Im using a Nokia 3310 in the mean time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Nision wrote: »
    Even at that your getting ripped off at the lower cost bill plans.

229 on a 35/pm tariff for 18 month does seem pretty stiff.

At the moment, i'm on a tarrif that costs me 19 pm, with a 1 GB data bundle add on.

If i want to buy this at all from VF apparently i have to 'upgrade' to a 35/pm tarrif which gives me half the data.

Incidentally, my monthly data usage is generally just over that half.

Think i may sit it out for Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

Just had a call from VF cust service telling me I can have the Desire HD for 229 but I have to go to a "Smart Plan" . Im currently paying €20 for 50mins and 50txts and €10 for 1gb data. They want me to move to a SmartPlan costing €35 which has no free minutes and 500mb data , so for an extra €5 I lose all my free texts and free calls and 500mb of data . I would have happily signed up to an 18month contract if I could have kept my existing plan , but I'm not paying their "Smart Phone" tax.
    It appears the reason behind the Smart Plan is because the phones have a constant data connection and are very data intensive ;)

Anyway rant over , hurry up Meteor......Customers waiting

Edit: Meteor have a new online Smart Plan price of €25 for 200mins 200Txt and 1gb Data on 18mnth Contract. Wake Up VF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

So is it possible for someone on billpay with an N95/8GB with a 1mb data package to just buy the phone, enter the settings and work as before, im paying VF 39€ a month already

• Advertisement

mscull wrote: »
    They want me to move to a SmartPlan costing €35 which has no free minutes and 500mb data , so for an extra €5 I lose all my free texts and free calls and 500mb of data . F

Welcome to the club.

bogman wrote: »
    So is it possible for someone on billpay with an N95/8GB with a 1mb data package to just buy the phone, enter the settings and work as before, im paying VF 39€ a month already

Yes. Although obviously you wouldn't get a subsidised phone, and it's fairly likely you'd have to source the phone from somewhere other than VF.

Meteor on Facebook just responded to say that they would have it in "early november" The girl in the shop said "The end of November".
    So November we hope, hope its soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Just got the last one in Vodafone in Grafton St (so they told me anyways)..have left o2, so prob out of fire and into fryin pan...hope it worth it...!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

emobile have the Desire in stock at the moment. For billpay anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

emobile have the Desire in stock at the moment. For billpay anyway.

Link?

• Advertisement

Only available by ordering over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Only available by ordering over the phone.

How much is it, do you know?

On their 500 minute plan (approx €70 pm)the phone is free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Any idea as to why Meteor are taking so long to put them out when they originally said mid October and when Vodafone HAVE them out??

EDIT: can someone w/ the vodafone one tell us what its like? worth it??

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

DGRulz wrote: »
    Any idea as to why Meteor are taking so long to put them out when they originally said mid October and when Vodafone HAVE them out??

EDIT: can someone w/ the vodafone one tell us what its like? worth it??

Wont have it till Tuesday due to the Bank Holiday with let you all know then.
    I guy I know who works in a phone shop has had a go of one and when I told him I ordered one he said "i hate you ha! Yea they are ****in amazing mate, im going to get one next month. Was playing wit one today. Picture on it is unreal."

I cant wait for tuesday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

I was in Three yesterday and was told they had no plans to stock the phone.
    brendanL wrote: »
    I went to a three store and sales guy said they'd have it on the 8th of november.

A guy said here on the O2 forums that someone from Three told him they would have it next month so that would seem to match what you were told, happy days!
    annoyingly I wanted to know if I could get it as PAYG and that was the main reason I went in

You will be able to as Three in the UK are selling them PAYG, I learned this on xda-developers. If you check Three.ie they have the Desire, iPhone 4, Samsung GS etc on PAYG so it's safe to assume that they'll have this I think. I will be moving back to them from O2 so will wait to see if they get it.

The Three UK price is £449 (€504) so a little cheaper than sim-fee, they're hardly killing themselves though - also locked, phone not branded, OS probably in some way though.

As of 10.55 morning VF store at the bottom of Grafton St had one unit left.

259 upgrade.

479 prepaid.

No operator software on mine, far as i can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

wernstrom! wrote: »
    As of 10.55 morning VF store at the bottom of Grafton St had one unit left.

259 upgrade.

479 prepaid.

No operator software on mine, far as i can tell.

Have you tried another network sim in it? Wondering if they are sim free by anychance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Only read last 6-8 posts in the thread but I got a HTC Desire in 3 on Henry street Dublin for €149 on bill and I'll get 50 euros back of a future bill.
    the Classic Flex - Max plan, which is 40 a month and 2 gig data as well as 3 to 3 free calls and I picked the add on of 170 mins to mobiles/landline off peak....fairly sure I'll stay in my bundle.

I was with o2 and their data is a scabby 500mb a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

Only read last 6-8 posts in the thread but I got a HTC Desire in 3 on Henry street Dublin for €149 on bill and I'll get 50 euros back of a future bill.
    the Classic Flex - Max plan, which is 40 a month and 2 gig data as well as 3 to 3 free calls and I picked the add on of 170 mins to mobiles/landline off peak....fairly sure I'll stay in my bundle.

I was with o2 and their data is a scabby 500mb a month.

They are talking about HTC Desire HD... available on Vodafone already, and guy in three told me they will have them begining of November...

• Advertisement

Fresh2000 wrote: »
    They are talking about HTC Desire HD... available on Vodafone already, and guy in three told me they will have them begining of November...

Yeah, i was told the same. The anticipation.
    There taking bookings in case theres a shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Is there a booking list for Meteor yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Each shop will probably get 3 phones when they are made available. One each will probably go to the managers and the rest to their friends... chances of getting one early are slim...

Im going to get on the list in every store in town so.

eireal wrote: »
    Have you tried another network sim in it? Wondering if they are sim free by anychance

Don't have any sim on hand to try It came in a sealed HTC box... so i *suspect* it's not locked.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    Each shop will probably get 3 phones when they are made available. One each will probably go to the managers and the rest to their friends... chances of getting one early are slim...

Also, Christmas is cancelled, and the government will take charge of your organs and sell them to a dog food factory.

Id give kidney for one of these right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Don't have any sim on hand to try It came in a sealed HTC box... so i *suspect* it's not locked.

Would be interested to know if its SIM free aswell. If you get a chance to test this let us know.
    Also has the phone been branded with a Vodafone logo?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Got mine this morning in vodaphone in blanchardstown sc
    On payg for 479, on it right now and I'm very happy.
    There's no vodaphone logo/software on it.

It's my first Android phone and I think I'm in love :)

Id give kidney for one of these right now.
    VF were happy to take mine.

If i were patient, i could've saved a bit and gone to Meteor. But i'm not.
    And last time i ported a number it was a PITA.

logistic wrote: »
    Also has the phone been branded with a Vodafone logo?

Nope. But... there have been some cases where first releases of phones on VF aren't branded, and later ones are

It's my first Android phone and I think I'm in love :)

Coming from an N900 and two Symbian phones before that... i think i may feel the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

can any of you that bought it Today from Vodafone check if they are not locked to VF aka sim free?

Advertisement