Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So when Can I expect the HTC Desire HD to appear on the irish market?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Ok so I've watched the videos, read the threads on the specs... and I've decided that my first leap into the android smartphone range will be the HTC Desire HD, so I want to buy one, unfortunatly everyones staying pretty tight lipped about it. Although I saw a thread that carphone warehouse would be selling it from the 10th of this month..... I'll remain pessimistic of that ;D untill the 10th

Also I want to get it on pay as you go... I know it's mostly speculation at this point but does anyone think it'll be possible to buy it as payg as soon as it's released or will it only be bill pay only?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

If you want PAYG the best bet will probably be to buy online maybe...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

brendanL wrote: »
    It's mostly speculation at this point but does anyone think it'll be possible to buy it as payg as soon as it's released or will it only be bill pay only?

If any network offers this on PAYG, i'm guessing the price will be in striking distance of just buying it sim free.

As for CPW, i thought it wasn't out 'til the 15th or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

well the CPW rumour I read on a random tech blog at some stage...

but today I was in a meteor store with a friend who was picking up a mobile broadband dongle and I seized the oppertunity to ask the sales guy... who said they'd have it by 'the end of the month' I was hoping to wangle more info out of him but then the conversation descended into a phone war between him and my friend XD. The last perk my freind tried to best him with was... well my phone use's spare cpu cycles for cancer research... XD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Meteor thinking they will have the Desire HD when they have not had the Desire for months?

I see even emobile have taken it off their list too.

They may get to list the phone but will they have enough stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Meteor thinking they will have the Desire HD when they have not had the Desire for months?

I see even emobile have taken it off their list too.

They may get to list the phone but will they have enough stock?

Nobody had a steady supply of Desires, the AMOLED screen shortage sorted that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

emobile took the desire off their list? I was literally holding one (HTC Desire that is) in my hand in the blanch store yesterday... and it was a live model to play with and if the very convincing sales person was anything to go by the five box's he had sitting on a shelf did not contain mysterious candy *waves arms around* but the phone... ready to be sold to me should I choose to not wait it out for the HD :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

But not on their website any more.

Only the Wildfire left there.

Looks like supply not solid. Shops being supplied first.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Seems to be a delay because of some red tape at Google, article here.

Due to carriers trying to dump old phones, demand from carriers able to put in larger orders.... I can see the HD not being readily available until after xmas.

/gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I'm pretty sure three have the desire in stock?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I would say end of October at the earliest. As for PAYG, no chance boyo. You'll have to get it sim-free if you don't want a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Baza210 wrote: »
    I would say end of October at the earliest. As for PAYG, no chance boyo. You'll have to get it sim-free if you don't want a contract.

I don't know if they've announced if they're getting it, but three will offer it on PAYG if they do get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I don't know if they've announced if they're getting it, but three will offer it on PAYG if they do get it.
    source?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

If your buying simfree clove.co.uk are now saying
    First stock expected week ending 22/10

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    source?

Here's a question for you; which one of it's phones doesn't three offer on PAYG?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'll be receiving mine in 3 weeks, o was just informed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Heres a qs for someone. I plan on gettting the HD when ever it comes out, I'll be gettingg it on a Meteor Bill pay contract, but Im currently on PAYG, sould I switch to Bill pay a week or so before getting the phone or wait and do it on the day??

DGRulz wrote: »
    Heres a qs for someone. I plan on gettting the HD when ever it comes out, I'll be gettingg it on a Meteor Bill pay contract, but Im currently on PAYG, sould I switch to Bill pay a week or so before getting the phone or wait and do it on the day??

I would've thought you have to sign for a contract at the same time you buy the phone in order to get a discount on said phone.

...Or did i misunderstand the question? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Here's a question for you; which one of it's phones doesn't three offer on PAYG?

Blackberry, SE Satio when they had it, N97 when they had that....

Walkman wrote: »
    Blackberry, SE Satio when they had it, N97 when they had that....

So, only one phone at the moment and that's more than likely owing to Blackberry services. So given that, what do you feel is the probability that they won't offer the HD on PAYG.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭vandammaged

Ive never ordered a phone online

which would be the safest site to buy off ?
    Keith186 wrote: »
    If you want PAYG the best bet will probably be to buy online maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

3 weeks from now in the UK according to someone in the know. So... before Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I phoned both vodafone.ie and three.ie today both sales reps said the had no plans to get the HTC DESIRE HD. Both of the reps went of to check this for me.

I was left waiting 52mins before the Vodafone rep picked up the call.

After searching the web I can across this link

http://comingsoon.vodafone.ie/register/desirehd

I'd be fairly surprised if VF have it before early Dec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Was speaking to a meteor employee who said they were emailed today to say that the Desire HD will arrive in at the "end of the month".

I'm not sure if I'll bother waiting that long and just grab a Galaxy S instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Its up to you. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the Galaxy S. What do you want from a phone? The two have different specs, but IMHO HTC have much better build quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Its up to you. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the Galaxy S. What do you want from a phone? The two have different specs, but IMHO HTC have much better build quality...

Yes I have heard that HTC build quality is excellent but the SGS has 8GB onboard storage (whereas Meteor said they would only provide a 2GB sd card with the desire hd but obviously I can buy a bigger card myself) and the screen on the SGS is eye popping (the desire hd's screen doesn't look too great in any video I've seen of it and they are stretching the same pixel density as the regular desire over a 4.3inch screen). I also notice that the new HD7 has the same screen as the Android Desire HD and it has been criticised by Engadget already.

On the other hand HTC seem to provide better widgets and the new htcsense.com features seem like a really good idea.

I will probably wait till the hd comes out so I can compare it in person to the SGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Desire HD now listed on Vodafone. Prices start at €99 for billpay.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/phones-plans/smartphones/phones/android/

"Coming Really Soon"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Yeah, yeah. Vodafone clearly haven't a clue. :D

mEjbP.png

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Its up to you. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the Galaxy S. .

Lack of flash on the camera was probably the only thing that stopped me buying one.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah. Vodafone clearly haven't a clue. :D

mEjbP.png

I guess anyone who needs to read VF's website to find out, probably won't know.

Advertisement