Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Simon Cowell the cancer of the music industry

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

MrStuffins wrote: »
    AC/DC are Pop Music though.

Pop Music is music which is popular, which is mainstream and which gets airplay.

They've sold over 160 million albums.

Back in Black is the biggest selling album by a band in the history of music.

Doesn't get much "pop" than that does it?

AC/DC weren't pop in their day. Them, like all rock bands were not in charts or anything, they were considered "the devils music" just as much as a lot of bands back then, they became more popular over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not the big C I was thinking of really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

I for one cannot STAND Leona Lewis

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It's as simple as this - there's a lot of tasteless gombeens in the world.

The Irish Times is the leading newspaper in the country but is way outsold by the redtops - why?

Similalry the tripe that is 'pop' today which is encouraged, if not fueled, by the likes of Cowell makes it near impossible for a 'real' band to succeed.

If Cowell was a true representative of proper bands playing proper music he wouldn't entertain, never mind help, this fabricated ****e music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

TBH who cares, let the 'uncultured masses' like whatever they like, stick in the headphones and listen to whatever you want. It's pretty easy to avoid popular culture if you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I for one cannot STAND Leona Lewis

ah here. she's probably the most talented artist to come out of the x factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Superbus wrote: »
    TBH who cares, let the 'uncultured masses' like whatever they like, stick in the headphones and listen to whatever you want. It's pretty easy to avoid popular culture if you want to.

I have very little knowledge of much of the music in the charts now.

I have my iPod chock-a-block with the stuff i like. I knows what i likes so i listen to what i likes!

But i don't deprive myself of liking the odd pop song just because i like "real" music. I thought that kinda thinking kinda leaves you when you're in your late teens (at least it should).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Most bands with the M CD banner over them. I work at them.

I have a list as long as my arm.

I think he meant 'what town?'.

I think he meant 'what town?'.

Biko wannabe? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Simon Cowell is selling a product called music
    They package it as 5 guys sitting on stools, or 5 girls wearing very little and its all a business to them, its all about money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

39 comments.

seems like everyone has an opinion on this.

cant wait till the X factor brigade log on in 20 mins

Simon Cowell is selling a product called music
    They package it as 5 guys sitting on stools, or 5 girls wearing very little and its all a business to them, its all about money

Yeah - and feck all to do with music IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

The debate here is between someone whose music and lyrics are written for them and people who write there own lyrics, try and get across there own ideas and emotions, and possibly play there own instruments. The former is the x-factor, the latter is what I would call real music, whether it would be classed as pop, rock or metal and this is the kind of music that I have nothing but respect for. If this makes me a music snob, then I'll happily wollow in my own snobbishness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

As well as Cowell and his type, the record companies dont nurture talent at all, they just strip it down to units sold. There is always a big market for quality music , we are just not hearing it becasue no company wants to take a risk on a new band when they know they can sell Girls Aloud and the other ****e they have

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

As far as I'm concerned, the last "impresario" to get it right was Trevor Horn. It helped that he was a musician first (Buggles, The Art Of Noise), then a producer, before he got in to directly promoting acts like Seal and Frankie Goes To Hollywood. The music never takes a back seat to the image.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Yet a band who practice 3 times a week, for years now, and do it for there love of the crowd and the music will never get a chance. it BS to be honest.

Maybe they are ****?

Not being mean, but the majority of bands in Dublin, or Ireland for that matter, are ****. A couple of decent ones stand out, but none of them are very interesting or innovative, they all just tend to sound like that last big band whose names started with "The" that came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Im confused, this is AH why is no one blaming the government for this, surely they are somehow to blame no :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

All music is shit and all music is brilliant.

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    All music is shit and all music is brilliant.

QED!?????????! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Pop music is POPULAR cowell and co sells truckloads of crap music to teenagers and they buy it by the truckload. most radiostations are pimps for his crap and the whole pop machine, get over to phantom if you want real music.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Saila wrote: »
    why is no one blaming the government for this

Cause its all your fault

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Blaming Simon Cowell for destroying "real" music is like blaming the tabloids for besmirching "real" journalism, rather than blaming the people who purchase the tabloids.

Memnoch wrote: »
    Blaming Simon Cowell for destroying "real" music is like blaming the tabloids for besmirching "real" journalism, rather than blaming the people who purchase the tabloids.

Eh, if so called journalists and so called music promoters didn't shove this ****e down our throat in the first place we wouldn't have to listen to / read it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

The "Industry" ruined music.

/end

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I'm glad the music industry is dying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

but its not the the tittle. I cant see how his presents benefits real bands.

Take a look at the top ten compared to 15 years ago.

where has the guitar bands gone.

Its turned into a big pile of ****e...

Music is suited to the celtic brats these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Eh, if so called journalists and so called music promoters didn't shove this ****e down our throat in the first place we wouldn't have to listen to / read it!

Shoved it down your throat?

Right... okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Maybe they are ****?

Not being mean, but the majority of bands in Dublin, or Ireland for that matter, are ****. A couple of decent ones stand out, but none of them are very interesting or innovative, they all just tend to sound like that last big band whose names started with "The" that came out.

But they are not.

give our better bands (any genre) 15mins of fame on primetime sat night TV. Not picked by that feckin dose sharron Osborne and her work mates.

I cant help it. I think the top 5 people who pick who will be the next best things are arseholes. And those who follow them are worse.

Do knockinstockin next year. You wont believe the unsigned talent out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

absaloulty not.

Down Loaders are.
    X-factor winners have a shelf life of a 6 months if even.
    Sarcasm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

The majority of bands and singers you see in pubs are crap, they think its because they're not "commersial" but the truth is that they're just terrible

Advertisement