Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Simon Cowell the cancer of the music industry

Options
  • 03-10-2010 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭

I see bands in town,

in festivals like Knockenstocken ,

and so on and so on. Up and coming people who have devoted there life to music .

I went to Carlos Santana last week . Setting a standard of top class musicianship . Every member of the band picked from the best of the best.

The band only 2/3 fills the O2.

yet if JLS play. full house. Bunch of ijets who have no idea.

Whats wrong.... Its driving me nuts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

What we need is more of this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

gsxr1 wrote: »
    I see bands in town,

Which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Guided By Voices

I see bands in town,

in festivals like Knockenstocken ,

and so on and so on. Up and coming people who have devoted there life to music .

I went to Carlos Santana last week . Setting a standard of top class musicianship . Every member of the band picked from the best of the best.

The band only 2/3 fills the O2.

yet if JLS play. full house. Bunch of ijets who have no idea.

Whats wrong.... Its driving me nuts

I believe the problem may subside if you take that steering wheel out of your pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at!

You're saying that good bands, in your opinion, play to small crowds. But Cowell's crews play to massive crowds?

I see your point, but shouldn't your thread be titled "Is Simon Cowell a business genius?"

And the answer would be yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

It's a buyers market, Cowell wouldn't be there if people didnt like whatever stuff he puts out
    May not be to your taste but that's life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Simon Cowell is a fcuking genius.. I can't stand the X-Factor etc, but he sure does know how to milk the lack of taste that most people seem to have these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Which one?

Most bands with the M CD banner over them. I work at them.

I have a list as long as my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

People are idiots - Mystery solved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

the music industry is a cancer to itself

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're trying to get at!

You're saying that good bands, in your opinion, play to small crowds. But Cowell's crews play to massive crowds?

I see your point, but shouldn't your thread be titled "Is Simon Cowell a business genius?"

And the answer would be yes!

but its not the the tittle. I cant see how his presents benefits real bands.

Take a look at the top ten compared to 15 years ago.

where has the guitar bands gone.

Its turned into a big pile of ****e...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Simon Cowell is a fcuking genius.. I can't stand the X-Factor etc, but he sure does know how to milk the lack of taste that most people seem to have these days

I agree. He is a very successful entrepreneur. I have a lot of respect for him but can't stand the music he dishes out, he has broke into one of the most difficult markets and very successfully.

As a music lover yes he has ruined the industry, noone seems to try anymore just a load of the same **** every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

blaming simon cowell for the contemporary music industry is incredibly stupid.

but its not the the tittle. I cant see how his presents benefits real bands.

Take a look at the top ten compared to 15 years ago.

where has the guitar bands gone.

Its turned into a big pile of ****e...

this is just your opinion.

You like a particular style of music, others like other styles. It just so happens that the vast majority of people like manufactured pop music and buy it.

Cowell knows this and feeds it to them. The man is a genius.

Stop worrying about it and get on the train. You can't beat a good pop song. Haven't you heard Hot & Cold by Katy Perry? What a tune!

blaming simon cowell for the contemporary music industry is incredibly stupid.

thats gone a bit far.

I believe
    Stock Aitken Waterman where just as bad.

I am not stupid. Please do not refer to me as such.;)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

tYou can't beat a good pop song.
    Yes, you can.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

There's always gonna be good music and sh!te music. Cowell's brand will always sell to the masses and its nearly a fact of life.

But, ignore him as you would a charity mugger, put some AC/DC on your headphones, and rock the fuck out.

Yes, you can.

:rolleyes:

My point was, pop music can be great!

I used to be of the same mindset as the OP. But whats the point?

There are people who will deny the love of a great pop song just because of who sings it. They will reserve judgement until they know who the song is by.

Ridiculous behavious IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Its the insane amount of publicity and airplay his "artists" get. Even if you hate this kind of music you will still hear the most popular songs many times a day just by walking into shops or other public places. Music DJ's play music that teenage girls want to listen to and nothing else. Presumably most radio listeners are teenage girls; the only possible explanation.

Its different in America; even mainstream DJs will play both modern and classic rock, for example as well as pop music. Would never happen here.

There's always gonna be good music and sh!te music. Cowell's brand will always sell to the masses and its nearly a fact of life.

But, ignore him as you would a charity mugger, put some AC/DC on your headphones, and rock the fuck out.

I get the feeling that pure talent like AC/DC would never have been able to get a break if Simon was in control back then.

Cheese sells more than music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I suppose the problem is will there be any great bands that come out ever again eg AC/DC etc? With all the music that is being forced down everyones throats there may not be anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

You can't beat a good pop song.
    ahem

granted Billy's a **** now, but this is still class

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

gsxr1 you cannot claim one type of music is superior to another just because in your subjective taste you prefer it.
    These things are personal and subjective.

The musical tastes of all people are equally valid.

Even the vapid, braindead troglodytes who listen to JLS.

I get the feeling that pure talent like AC/DC would never have been able to get a break if Simon was in control back then.

Cheese sells more than music.

AC/DC are Pop Music though.

Pop Music is music which is popular, which is mainstream and which gets airplay.

They've sold over 160 million albums.

Back in Black is the biggest selling album by a band in the history of music.

Doesn't get much "pop" than that does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Music is about personal taste is it not? Its what you like, and what makes you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

knird evol wrote: »
    gsxr1 you cannot claim one type of music is superior to another just because in your subjective taste you prefer it.

Spot on

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

AC/DC are Pop Music though.

Pop Music is music which is popular, which is mainstream and which gets airplay.

They've sold over 160 million albums.

Back in Black is the biggest selling album by a band in the history of music.

Doesn't get much "pop" than that does it?
    The issue is more modern pop rather than pop in general

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Is Simon Cowell the cancer of the music industry

absaloulty not.

Down Loaders are.
    X-factor winners have a shelf life of a 6 months if even.

By the way, how would Simon Cowell be a cancer to the Music Industry?

Simon Cowell IS the music industry!

Which is why you have "indie" or Independant labels who try not to play within the rules of the "industry" and bring you lovely chunks of goodness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

thats gone a bit far.

I believe
    Stock Aitken Waterman where just as bad.

I am not stupid. Please do not refer to me as such.;)

a stupid statement automatically makes the person who enforces it stupid?

yeah okay gsxr1.

• Advertisement

knird evol wrote: »

why cant I?

Mary from Tesco has just been put through. A karaoke singer from Dublin. Probably has never picked up an instrument in her life.
    Yet a band who practice 3 times a week, for years now, and do it for there love of the crowd and the music will never get a chance.
    it BS to be honest.

Watching the likes of Danni Minogue chose who is going to be on Ray Darcy every day is the ****s. no harm like.

It stinks .. its rot.

whoever wins this, and the next 3 finishers will be the next big thing.

BOKE
    sorry

Advertisement