Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Simon Cowell the cancer of the music industry

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pop songs are very much forgettable. I can appreciate one as much as the next person, but after a month or two most of them will be nothing but mere distant memories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

Yes partly, but I grudgingly admire him in some ways. He's an entrepreneur who managed to claw his way up from being a school dropout to a multi-millionaire music producer and a pretty well renowned international media star just by catching onto the whole "reality tv" addiction and celebrity culture which plagues society.

It doesn't matter about the quality of the music or even making actual celebrities. People buy into the X-Factor because of the story of the participants, even though almost all the show is pre-scripted with every gesture timed and calculated. The whole Jedward thing sells because they are the modern equivalent to 19th Century freak shows, not because they can sing.

However, he can't be blamed for the woes of the industry. They were there a long time before Cowell started up. He just takes advantages of them and has turned them into a commercial bubble. It's just got easier and acceptable to "manufacture" musicians these days and get instant credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Pop songs are very much forgettable. I can appreciate one as much as the next person, but after a month or two most of them will be nothing but mere distant memories.

Disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Rockn

Twats who like popular music just because it's popular are the cancer of the music industry. Simon Cowell just feeds on that cancer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

No he definitely isn't. He's not even that successful in terms of big acts as other people. Most of the people on his label only last a few months because he can't seem to get any longevity out of them. The only reason he is so rich is because of his TV shows.

The cancer of the music industry is pretty much all the record company executives. These days they're not willing to sign anybody that doesn't already have a good fan base, if you don't have a hit with you're first album they drop you. Simple. Most of the big bands that around these days probably wouldn't have survived in this current climate.

Its different in America; even mainstream DJs will play both modern and classic rock, for example as well as pop music. Would never happen here.
    Thats not true at all. Over there they have radio for specific genres. They have top 40/billboard radio and then tyou have your alternative/ Classic Rock/ Dance music stations.
    Maybe they are ****?

Not being mean, but the majority of bands in Dublin, or Ireland for that matter, are ****. A couple of decent ones stand out, but none of them are very interesting or innovative, they all just tend to sound like that last big band whose names started with "The" that came out.

There's lots of innovative music coming out of Ireland at the moment. Particularly in the post-rock genre. And So I Watch You From Afar would be a great example of this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Sarcasm?

No its the truth thats why music in this world is so ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Seems to me that the OP was part of a shítty band in a competition that didn't get through.

And blame it on the likes of Simon Cowell rather than the fact they are shít

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

gsxr1 wrote: »
    But they are not.

give our better bands (any genre) 15mins of fame on primetime sat night TV. Not picked by that feckin dose sharron Osborne and her work mates.

I cant help it. I think the top 5 people who pick who will be the next best things are arseholes. And those who follow them are worse.

Do knockinstockin next year. You wont believe the unsigned talent out there.

If that's the best example for unsigned talent in this country, I think you've just proved logical fallacy's point.

Cowell is a big contributor to the the dumbing down of music. The problem is, though, that the bigger market is the teenage girls who will buy any old pop shíte. There isn't, I wouldn't imagine, a more specific brand of "music" that can be sold to such a predictable and ever-faithful audience, willing to part with their pocket money for cds of this years newest sensation.

Pop isn't even good these days. It's more about image than music. At least previous generations got some substance with the popular music of their time. The current generation get hyped up karaoke singers, with little or no actual talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭google faps

Everything's **** since Roy Orbison died.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I see bands in town,

in festivals like Knockenstocken ,

and so on and so on. Up and coming people who have devoted there life to music .

I went to Carlos Santana last week . Setting a standard of top class musicianship . Every member of the band picked from the best of the best.

The band only 2/3 fills the O2.

yet if JLS play. full house. Bunch of ijets who have no idea.

Whats wrong.... Its driving me nuts

[vaguely irritating camp tone and manner] That has to be the worst OP we've ever heard here. Your capitalisation is poor... your argument is weak... the whole thing just comes across as amateur.
    OK, Louis, Yes or No?[/vaguely irritating camp tone and manner].

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

nommm wrote: »
    There's lots of innovative music coming out of Ireland at the moment. Particularly in the post-rock genre. And So I Watch You From Afar would be a great example of this.

Ah now they're good but they're not what'd I'd call very innovative. At times they sound just like every other Explosions in the Sky clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

[vaguely irritating camp tone and manner] That has to be the worst OP we've ever heard here. Your capitalisation is poor... your argument is weak... the whole thing just comes across as amateur.
    OK, Louis, Yes or No?[/vaguely irritating camp tone and manner].

vaguely irritating camp tone and manner
    would ya catch yourself on. Dear christ. Who says that?????:rolleyes:
    I have a picture of you in my head now.
    its not very flattering.

What has CAPITALIZATION got to do with it. Im sure you still understood the text. Piss poor .. at best mate oh .

What have you got to add .

Nothing.

Troll

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

vaguely irritating camp tone and manner
    would ya catch yourself on. Dear christ. Who says that?????:rolleyes:
    I have a picture of you in my head now.
    its not very flattering.

What has CAPITALIZATION got to do with it. Im sure you still understood the text. Piss poor .. at best mate oh .

What have you got to add .

Nothing.

Troll

Jaysus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

yeah a **** one will be, like a **** rawk or dance song will also be

nummnutts wrote: »
    If that's the best example for unsigned talent in this country, I think you've just proved logical fallacy's point.

I guess its different stokes for different folks as regards whats good.
    That band in particular seem to be gathering quite a massive following.

I have seen them once and they had the crowd jumping..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

I mean i get why Cowell´s industry is successful, it's because people are thick.

BUT I'd like to know Where this post-ironic "pop music is fun" nonsense going around came from. Transparent attempt to portray tolerance to such a money-spinning racket by some users on here.
    I don't want to hear a cover version of a ballad by some plastic TV show winner and neither do you. Liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

I cant see how his presents benefits real bands.

Maybe he needs to give better presents? New instruments or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Yes, you can.
    Oh yes you can. With :Da big bat with a nail in it

Maybe he needs to give better presents? New instruments or something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF-WLb5ucCg :pac::D

sign that girl up Simon!!!!! pure talent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

The debate here is between someone whose music and lyrics are written for them and people who write there own lyrics, try and get across there own ideas and emotions, and possibly play there own instruments. The former is the x-factor, the latter is what I would call real music, whether it would be classed as pop, rock or metal and this is the kind of music that I have nothing but respect for. If this makes me a music snob, then I'll happily wollow in my own snobbishness.

Sinatra didn't write his own tunes

Now I really don't like 99% of pop music but like I said, it's a buyers market, people with 'great taste' in music don't dictate what is popular

And I wouldn't even worry much anyway, who buys singles? Kids...

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I went to Carlos Santana last week . Setting a standard of top class musicianship . Every member of the band picked from the best of the best.

I thought Santana was pretty derided by good guitarists?

Actually, just thinking about it, the musicians that accompany Rihanna are probably more talented than the ones with Santana.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

No he is not !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Actually, just thinking about it, the musicians that accompany Rihanna are probably more talented than the ones with Santana.

A meaningless comment , shows what you know about the santana band !!

Rihanna and a " band " !!! ........give us a break :eek:
    I think they call it plastic music , push the button on the 147 track singalong
    machine crap

I dont own any Rihanna cds or nor do i intend to ...To each his own i guess !!

Wouldn't think so.

Stargate wrote: »
    A meaningless comment , shows what you know about the santana band !!

Rihanna and a " band " !!! ........give us a break :eek:
    I think they call it plastic music , push the button on the 147 track singalong
    machine crap

I dont own any Rihanna cds or nor do i intend to ...To each his own i guess !!

shows what you know about Rihanna's band imo

While we're uploading videos..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

He's a cancer on the planet not just the music industry the cnut.

Advertisement