Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Simon Cowell the cancer of the music industry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The lot of you have a read of this!

yes we all down load its free but its as good as stealing.
    This is why the The music industry is dieing!

You consider your self fans of a band and then take money out of there pockets.

That is why music is going crap...

If I owned sony and i was loosing money like that. I wouldn't be, putting money into bands id milk each band dry of the music they had until the next big sound came along not investing more money to make well a loss.

Why take a chance on something when its a loss?

That's why music is so slow at the moment because so many people down;load ileagly which means they make a loss

Hence why you pay 90 euros to hear GnR play. That's where money is made now live gigs. Not on record sales.

Your all clueless on the affect s of down loading.
    Is the main reason why music has gone sh!t and will continue to be.

Why go to the effort of making music when people will steel it because they cant be arsed spending 16 euros on a cd?

Its completely Inane to say oh cowell is the cancer of music hes not, those Xfactor contestants don't go very far after words genrally a shelf life of six month ...then they dissapear like a virgin on a prom night....

The Fans who down load albums for free are!

In all fairness, the numbers of legal down loads are going up quarter on quarter, the record industry just doesn't talk about that when it's bitching about piracy. Add in the fact that no physical product or physical distro cuts out a massive amount of the costs and it all boils down to the major labels not being quick enough to change there business model.

The majority of people i personally know still buy their music. Sure, i have no doubt piracy has a big effect, as someone who has put an album out and seen how many torrents it up on i can actually attest to it first hand, but there is still a **** tonne of money to be made in the music industry, the majors are just not adapting to the changing consumer climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

or more locally, Louis Walsh? he who makes Paul McGuinness appear a genius n his 50-something protégés cutting edge cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Of course you don't agree with me. you pobably wear pointy shoes and skinny jeans hats and blazer but thats ok how ever your taste in music isnt really of any interest..

So the National and Interpol are good bands? id rather grate my balls on a cheese grater then subject my self to a hole album of either of them....

Yep you were ripped of bye record company's... so here's just some of the costs....
    So a band gets signed.
    The label pays for recording studios. ( so the band can record ya know?
    then there's the possibility of a producer, sound engineer who also have to be payed.
    Then a graphic design agency get payed to design design the cover.
    Then the cds have to be made printed and music put on to them then the
    covers of the cds have to be printed.
    that company has to be payed.

then there's the buyers like hmv or virgin or tower records. have to bye them important them to the country then they get stung with import tax and another silly import tax type thing.
    Then they have to make money on the cds so they can pay there staff. and there electricity bills etc....Then on top of that they pay more tax

Oh and then the band may get payed depending on royalties etc.
    Ive missed stuff out like shipping etc.... Oh and then the recording studio gets payed... after all those out goings.....

Let me get this straight you wont pay 16 euros for a cd yet you coould have 5 pints in one night that may cost you 20 to 25 euro.... :confused: But shore drinking isnt a waste, you get drunk go home,feel like sh1t in the morning and half the day.

And you wont have a cd for life either... Yes i still bye cds and lisen to them on my trusted disk man do you know why that is ?

because mp3 quality sucks.

My advice would be to read up on Interpol, they are a great band and have being going since 1997, they aren't like the constant ****e being churned out daily by Cowell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

yes he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

In all fairness, the numbers of legal down loads are going up quarter on quarter, the record industry just doesn't talk about that when it's bitching about piracy. Add in the fact that no physical product or physical distro cuts out a massive amount of the costs and it all boils down to the major labels not being quick enough to change there business model.

The majority of people i personally know still buy their music. Sure, i have no doubt piracy has a big effect, as someone who has put an album out and seen how many torrents it up on i can actually attest to it first hand, but there is still a **** tonne of money to be made in the music industry, the majors are just not adapting to the changing consumer climate.

I agree but still illeagal are still being done tho having said that. i down loaded a few mp3s on amazon for 99 cent each i didnt mind that...... i prefer to know ive baught something physical to be honest :)

there not adapting at all there progressing into the dark ages... No dout there making money but they are loosing money to.........

• Advertisement

My advice would be to read up on Interpol, they are a great band and have being going since 1997, they aren't like the constant ****e being churned out daily by Cowell.

I know what i like that sorta sound with that money ****e bag... just doesnt do it for me......

You wanna hear a band who make albums that are worth raving about.....

You know what sets them off from every other band.. each album is completely different to the last... and they ROCK live.

Oh and Ive got my atomic Futura 2000 labs hoodie on :D

Of course you don't agree with me. you pobably wear pointy shoes and skinny jeans hats and blazer but thats ok how ever your taste in music isnt really of any interest..

So the National and Interpol are good bands? id rather grate my balls on a cheese grater then subject my self to a hole album of either of them....

You said the above.
    I know what i like that sorta sound with that money ****e bag... just doesnt do it for me......

You wanna hear a band who make albums that are worth raving about.....

I didn't say you don't know what you like. You implied that people who listen to Interpol are douchebags, tarring a lot of people with the same brush.

You said the above.

I didn't say you don't know what you like. You implied that people who listen to Interpol are douchebags, tarring a lot of people with the same brush.

why cant I there depressing its Indie Crap... Its like listening to REM and they suck too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Its completely Inane to say oh cowell is the cancer of music hes not, those Xfactor contestants don't go very far after words genrally a shelf life of six month ...then they dissapear like a virgin on a prom night....
    Look at quote beow!
    ricman wrote: »
    HE does find some good pop singers eg leona lewis, for the general audience

+1 for this. Leona Lewis did not have a shelf life of six months, she is still going now. Has made 2 albums and is currently on tour. < According to Wiki

Look at quote beow!

+1 for this. Leona Lewis did not have a shelf life of six months, she is still going now. Has made 2 albums and is currently on tour. < According to Wiki

and how many havent made it ?

• Advertisement

why cant I there depressing its Indie Crap... Its like listening to REM and they suck too.

You tar all indie bands as crap? Even the ones that started out in the 90s? Do yourself a favour and get some taste in music.

You tar all indie bands as crap? Even the ones that started out in the 90s? Do yourself a favour and get some taste in music.

the '80s you mean? indie used to mean independent from big record labels.

so did punk in a way - all genres have been well n truly tarnished by now none have survived with their credentials intact. marketed to smithereens
    Isn't the music industry itself the cancer of the music industry?

Star Bingo wrote: »
    all genres have been well n truly tarnished by now none have survived with their credentials intact. marketed to smithereens

Very true, as the saying goes, "everyone has a price".

No ya see I had influences such as cue base so i was more into left feild, Orbital, prodigy and massiva attack 808 state, I wasnt really taken bye nirvana in fact i had one album bye them and it was pretty boring you know why just not me. tho i do think very highly of the fun lovin criminals. How ever i love pink floyd crosby stills and nash lyanrd skynard etc just the 90s rock/indie scene was never my scene the same way you probably think electronic music is ****e but i really couldnt care....

But then again i listen to Beethoven Mozart miles davis, stan getz, jaan garbick, super tramp i could go on and on.... My music is probably 5 times more educated then yours I just can hear how modern day bands emulate there hero's and you can hear it in the music... To a degree were as electronic music is still very young and has endless genres to play with...

No ya see I had influences such as cue base so i was more into left feild, Orbital, prodigy and massiva attack 808 state, I wasnt really taken bye nirvana in fact i had one album bye them and it was pretty boring you know why just not me. tho i do think very highly of the fun lovin criminals. How ever i love pink floyd crosby stills and nash lyanrd skynard etc just the 90s rock/indie scene was never my scene the same way you probably think electronic music is ****e but i really couldnt care....
    Never really under stood the point of it....

But then again i listen to Beethoven Mozart miles davis, stan getz, jaan garbick, super tramp i could go on and on.... My music is probably 5 times more educated then yours I just can hear how modern day bands emulate there hero's and you can hear it in the music... To a degree were as electronic music is still very young and has endless genres to play with...

I like electronic music as well and I will forgive the Interpol bashing since you like Orbital, big fan myself. I have a broad taste of music I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

< 5,000 (less than 1/3 capacity :eek:)
    Actually standing capacity is 14500 seated capacity (as at lastnight's concert) is 9500. So more than 1/2, not less than 1/3.

that fcuker jarre has the highest concert attendance in history for his dipso space music. Moscow, 1997. 3.5 million :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

madtheory wrote: »
    Actually standing capacity is 14500 seated capacity (as at lastnight's concert) is 9500. So more than 1/2, not less than 1/3.

One of the team told me just over 4,000 tickets sold. The top tier was curtained off all round and there were plenty of empty seats to be seen on lower levels. The central areas were full, but hardly anyone on the sides.

Anyways, whatever the number, why is it that great guys like Jarre are not pulling them in?

Great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Hey...
    Eh, hey, I'm like a beast
    Eh, hey, i'm like a beast
    DJ drop the record, Imma start a stampede
    He drop the record, I start a stampede
    Eh, boy, I push it out
    Eh, boy, I push it out
    Fire, move my body like a merry-go-round
    Front to the back, I'll make you go round

Get like me
    Get on the dancefloor
    Get like me
    (Don't want to start without you)
    Oh, here I go, drip droppin' way down low
    You're 'bout to miss
    Winding to this
    Don't make me start without you
    Oh, here I go, you're moving way too slow
    I'm coming up
    Put down your cup
    Don't make me start without you

Eh, boy, way that I move
    Eh, boy, way that I move
    Body like a weapon that'll make you go boom
    Get like a drum I'll make you go...boom
    Eh, boy, oi where you at?
    Eh, boy, oi where you at?
    You're the only one and I'm all on my back
    The only one I want on my back

Get like me
    Get on the dancefloor
    Get like me
    (Don't want to start without you)
    Oh, here I go, drip droppin' way down low
    You're 'bout to miss
    Winding to this

Seriously, the worst lyrics/song I have ever heard. Worst than the Black Eyed Peas, and I ****ing hate them as well. Yes Alexandra, you are like a beast, the massive thighs on ya. And why do you want a stampede in a nightclub? And 'cup' just does not sound right in a pop song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Yeah that's pretty dire alright. The charts are full of that crap. Especially so-called R&B.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Must be time for a musical interlude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

lol. indie is just badly produced music by kids that can't play their instruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

One of the team told me just over 4,000 tickets sold. The top tier was curtained off all round and there were plenty of empty seats to be seen on lower levels. The central areas were full, but hardly anyone on the sides.

Anyways, whatever the number, why is it that great guys like Jarre are not pulling them in?

Great show.
    Pity. I thought the promo could've been better and Tuesday night is awkward for most people. This is another one of those gigs where many acquaintances have said "Would love to have seen it!"

lol.

Stopped reading after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

and how many havent made it ?

More havn't made it than have. But tbh, i'd take a few crap singers if that means we get a singer like leona lewis every few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Simon is just been a shrewd f**k and making a small countries wealth in the process off the backs of his manufactoring line of "talent" ..... no doubt this year he will tell the favourite to win that they are or could be "the new alexandra" like she was "the new leona" and so on .... giving these "stars" a 12 month self life and anything after that is a bonus (to them not the public) ......personally I fookin hate the whole thing .....now more than ever........ I'm entering 2 fresh turds next year ,they'll be quirky ,almost identical with fook all talent .....oh wait ,no,sorry ...its been done already hasnt it? Damn you Jed & Ward!!

Simon is the anti christ in terms of "real" music however manufactored pop stars are not a new phenomenon its just more widespread and in your face as a result of these so called "reality" shows .... if reports in the daily red tops are to believed the original manufactored for tv boyband are making a comeback ,yep the Monkee's ....and look how popular they were .....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

lol. indie is just badly produced music by kids that can't play their instruments.

Fun fact: Pavement aren't the only indie band in existence.

btw your trolling is about two decades too old

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

in short, yes.
    in long, yeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Advertisement