Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers-do we really need them?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Ah they're not all that bad. I got stopped on Saturday night going into a pub, got the old 'not tonight' line.

Now I've been going to this place for years and I calmly informed him as such but said if he didn't want to let me in that was fair enough and started walking off. A few seconds passed and he stopped me and told me to go on in. It's like he was testing me.

He must have felt bad afterwards, he came over to where we were sitting a bit later to see was everything ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Rycn

Bought a bag of shtuff in Qbar jacks one night.

While i'm putting it in my wallet on the way out the jacks door, this fat mess of a bouncer bumps into me and sees it, so he grabs my wallet and we proceed to engage in a hand war. What is he doing? He's not a Garda!

I'm there saying to him, "kick me out, do what you want mate but your basically stealing from me, even if the stuff is illegal".

It's mine, he can kick me out if he wants to but hes the one in possession of drugs the second he takes it off me. I was taking the risk with it, what's the point in him putting his job in jeopardy?

I was fuming.

The next day I was delighted he took it off me though, as I hadn't done any of it when he took it, so I was fresh as a daisy when I woke up the next day.

That mephedrone has a horrible comedown.
    Its never worth it.

Every word there is irrelevant there. I'm no Brad Pitt, I doubt you are either but you know what? Unless you even have an equity card and going for a specific job then being short, ugly or bald doesn't prevent someone from doing a job.

A short, ugly, bald bouncer stops you, you swear at them and then report back to boards.ie with their negative traits.
    Did noone type keyboard warriors?

You do have a point on aggressive pricks working the door and then you ruin it like being being ugly, short and bald means your opinions are worth more then them?
    Is your daddy a barrister?
    Are you ugly, short and bald by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Rycn wrote: »
    Are you ugly, short and bald by any chance?

Are you a troll by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lets keep this somewhat civil please.

I wouldn't have let you in either op.

• Advertisement

Bald, short and ugly.
    Since you avoided my question i'll take it you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I hope, after your postings on here that you never have to be "rescued" from a situation by a "bouncer" some night because, after listening to all you have said you will be in this prediciment sooner rather than later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Rycn wrote: »
    Bought a bag of shtuff in Qbar jacks one night.

While i'm putting it in my wallet on the way out the jacks door, this fat mess of a bouncer bumps into me and sees it, so he grabs my wallet and we proceed to engage in a hand war. What is he doing? He's not a Garda!

I'm there saying to him, "kick me out, do what you want mate but your basically stealing from me, even if the stuff is illegal".

It's mine, he can kick me out if he wants to but hes the one in possession of drugs the second he takes it off me. I was taking the risk with it, what's the point in him putting his job in jeopardy?

I was fuming.

The next day I was delighted he took it off me though, as I hadn't done any of it when he took it, so I was fresh as a daisy when I woke up the next day.

That mephedrone has a horrible comedown. Its never worth it.
    He wasn't. The amount of times i gave guards drugs at the end of the night is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I rarely come across sh1t bouncers or doormen. Whenever one has given out to me I have deserved it.

I know a few bouncers around Cork, and get into places fairly easy anyway because the bars I am a regular in I am REALLY regular, so the doormen know my face.

But even when I go to different places I can get in without too much hassle, accidentally headbutted a bouncer before and was left go.

So your theory that bouncers are cnuts is fair wide of the mark I would think!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

McNulty32 wrote: »
    Bit of a bugbear of mine is bouncers.

Was out last night, spur the moment job, went down to local late bar, got to door and was stopped by this short arsed ugly baldy doorman, who gave the usual 'where ya coming from', 'ya been here again' in a really aggressive manner, then asked my mate to take his hat off so he could have a look at him, I turned around and said why the **** does it matter what he looks like under his hat? he got smart with me and said he wanted to see if he seen him before, then made a remark that he'd too much hair and should get it cut, I replied that least he had hair unlike his baldy chrome dome, he laughed and in we walked.

It was a moderately busy night, me and the mate just sat there quiet drinking afew pints, all the while I was watching the bouncer in action, walking around randomly chatting up women in front their boyfriends, annoying people who didnt want talk to him, for someone suppose to keep tension and hassle to a minimal he was doing the opposite.

Got me thinking ,do we really need bouncers? like other then asking kids for their passports, have they any useful purpose, in most cases they cause more trouble then prevent, if there is trouble shouldnt the over paid Gardai not be called to stop it rather then these power tripping apes?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP if what you say is true then you just got a weak doorman.

Personally I'd have turned on the 'thick cvnt bouncer attitude' and told you to 'fvck off' with your attitude.

To the question "Bouncer-do we really need them?".. My answer is some pubs do, some don't. All clubs do - but what we don't need is smart fcuks with attitude making our working nights any harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Only ever been refused twice. Once was Qbar and it was about 1am and me and my mates had a jockey back race to the door, stumbled up to the entrance to a laughing bouncer who just smiled and shook his head and told us "we were well oiled". We couldn't disagree so we jumoed back on each others backs and raced off to Dorans where we got in without a bother :cool:...to an empty bar :(.

Second time was Krstyle and the "elitist" a$$holes that run the place had the bouncers on a "members only" (Hot sluts and fair city actors) buzz so we were declined. Probably had a better time in Dicey's anyway.

Had one bouncer at Citi bar make stop me as I walked up and asked why I was so nervous. I was fine til you started making me paranoid about how I looked ya arse! He let me in though. Wish he didn't, the pints were muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I used to go to this busy club, the dance floor was always packed and there were always bouncers right at the edge of the dancefloor. And I would always get harassed by creeps, coming up to me even though I said go away, and grabbing me. And the bouncers never did anything, even if you asked them too! Now if 2 guys started a fight, they got dragged out straight away, but it was fine to sexually assault women. And since all the bouncers had the same attitude, you know they were told that was the code of conduct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

:confused: Ah no

A public house has a right to refuse service to anybody once its not of a raciest or sexiest reason.
    Legally a place that serves intoxicating liqueur must maintain an orderly house.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'm always falling foul of this ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I just couldn't be arsed with going to pubs in Dublin any more. It's like the bloody airport with their ridiculous security checks when you just want to go for a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

What I like about the bouncer tales is that the people with the gripe always manage to hint in their post as to just why they don't get in. ;)

As a punter, I've come across a small number of out of order bouncers in my time but most range from decent to just doing a job. It's not their job to be your mate.

Treat people with civility and the majority treat you the same way. If you're refused, you move on somewhere else. Surely there is enough bars for that.

Any place that I was ever a regular in that had door staff, you would know them from being friendly over time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

This thread has degeneralised into a flaming thread against the OP's attitude.

However to answer the question. Yes we really do need bouncers. Security is important for a club or pub, in an enviornment where people can get drunk and out of control it's important to have someone in place to sort it out. If someone starts getting too rowdy and causing hassle, who's supposed to deal with it? the bartenders? the guys who work in the toilets? it's a matter of safety and security OP.

Of course you do tend to get the odd d*ckhead bouncer, but usually if you show bouncers respect and communicate with them in a casual and compliant manner you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Dont worry I dont need wannabe hardmen in black to save me from anything, if its serious why not call the Gaurds, isnt it their job to deal with civil diorder?

So when you're getting your face crunched in by 2 fellas inside a night club, you want to wait 10 mins for the guards to arrive to pull them off you?

PS: Most bouncers are just dickheads on power trips anyway, but they have their uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I replied that least he had hair unlike his baldy chrome dome

Ha........I bet that you didn't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I think it depends on the type of place tbh, in the local one of the locals is a boxer/army guy and everyone knows him and he's a sound lad had never ever seen any trouble up there in over 10 years. And he might "work" one saturday in 6 and i think the owners just pay him to walk around :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Well can tell you Im very mild mannered and keep to myself and rarely get into fights unless Im provoked, why should I have be abused by some arsehole about what Im wearing or where Ive been, when all I want to do is go into my local pub and have a drink which is what Im legally entitled to do?

Have I not the right to tell this person with no authority what I think of his comments?

If this was your "local" pub then you should have been well known there. In fact you should be on first name terms with ALL the staff and that includes the doorstaff. The doorstaff should have easily known you and would not be asking you where you were coming from and if you had ever been in the establishment before.
    And for your information, doorstaff DO have authority. They have the authority AND the right to refuse entry to the premises. Bars and pubs are not like public parks or beaches or stretches of common land where nobody BUT NOBODY can be refused entry.

Doormen and bouncers are required to screen out undesirables and keep the peace. Some abuse their power because they're ignorant and immature. Others practice the shabby tactic of letting in the tarty or attractive girls and refusing entry to the plain-janes. But by and large they're ok blokes. They're just on edge because they have to be. The bouncer knows that he is always just one step away from some wanker coming back, mobbed up, with a stanley knife and slashing his face because he kicked the wanker out.

I've got a problem with people who abuse their positions of power and direct it towards people who have no way out...such as customs officials or airport security. If a cop in the street asks me questions I just refuse to answer him and walk off. There's nothing he can do. I know my rights. If a bouncer is a wanker I just go elsewhere. But if he asks the bog standard questions like "How much have yez had to drink tonight lads?" then he wants to determine if I/we are leathered and likely to cause a disturbance/nuisance. I'll simply say "Howya mate. Only had a couple of pints. Just came out an hour ago." I'm not going to get all snotty like you and say "None of your damn business, you pig-ignorant, minimum wage peasant!".

Get the damn chip off your shoulder and grow the fück up, man!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Meh, they're there to keep the peace which the majority of them do well, course theres dickheads who take one look at you and decide you're not coming in, but its part of going out, if you want to avoid it, go to pubs with no bouncers, plenty of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭happymondays

I used to go to this busy club, the dance floor was always packed and there were always bouncers right at the edge of the dancefloor. And I would always get harassed by creeps, coming up to me even though I said go away, and grabbing me. And the bouncers never did anything, even if you asked them too! Now if 2 guys started a fight, they got dragged out straight away, but it was fine to sexually assault women. And since all the bouncers had the same attitude, you know they were told that was the code of conduct.

copper face jacks wasnt it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Not slagging you off, but maybe you were known as a moanbag, some chic's are like that. Always moaning to the security staff about being harassed by lads.

After awhile ya just take the attitude 'oh, its your woman moaning again'.

Usually staff on the edge of the floor are looking for all sorts of behaviour, anything from both men and women being harassed, to smokers, people dancing with bottles and glasses. People who are barred, but got passed the door etc.

Never once have I known of a club with a policy of allowing anyone, regardless of gender be harassed, so maybe its just you!.

Bouncer's are not just employed to deal with underage drinkers trying to gain entry, or to deal with fights.. But there's all sorts of people who try to gain entry whom the average punter wouldn't have a clue about.

A good doorman with a bit of service in Dublin will know most of the local dippers & junkies who'd get in and literally steal thousands of euro worth of property in minutes.

Or homeless people who'd wander in hasseling people or money, or chugger's shaking buckets in your face etc etc.

Its a busy enough environment to work in, and a lot of that work is unseen by the punters.

Well can tell you Im very mild mannered and keep to myself and rarely get into fights unless Im provoked,

How frequent is rare ? I'm 30 and was only in one altercation. I have gone out once or twice a week every week in either Cork, Dublin, Galway or wherever else I have been living. If you find you are frequently being provoked into fighting there is something wrong somewhere. From the opening post you seem overly agressive, if I was on the door you wouldn't have gotten in either after you swore at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

I worked the door for five years when I was in college. So one might say that I am biased. The one thing I'll say is that tarring all doormen with the same brush is a ridiculous....the bus driver who I encountered today was an out and out w@nker. I do not suddenly deem all bus drivers to be power mad ignorant pricks.

Most people who encounter or have dealings with bouncers do so whilst they are under the influence. Whilst your irrational and off your face someone stopping you from where you want to go or asking an odd question will result in you reacting in a way which you mightn't usually.

You know when you eventually surface on a monday morning and you look at the photo's which you have been tagged in on facebook? And then think "good jaysus the state on me" as you see yourself with one eye half closed drink spilt / vomit down your shirt and burger king wrapper stuck to your foot.

You thought you were the sh!t on the night, off on the pull no doubt, but sobriety casts a different sheen. Now consider that the sober door man stopped you in that state whilst you were trying to get into the club. To which you then responded "I'm *hic* graaand, havn't had anyching to drunk".

This will then escalate in various stages of bravado, aggression and arguments which all seem perfectly acceptable with a few too many brews on board.

Doormen (aresupposed to if they are good at their job) stop underagers, dippers, drunks + various other ne'erdowells and scumbags. They also ensure that the clubs un/official policy is upheld at the door (be that membership, demeanour or dress-code). So as that the environment that you enjoy within the club is upheld. GAA jersey grand in coppers "go ahead lads". Cap and trackie bottoms in lillies "sorry lads not tonight".

Calls are made on the door based on the bouncers experience and gut feeling. Fair enough, the right call might not be made all the time. But most club owners and decent people would prefer 5 people who just didn't seem right at the time being refused rather than one nut job going to town with a broken bottle getting in.

Bouncers within the clubs, eject people that are a danger to themselves and others (sliding down the banisters from the 3rd floor is great craic when drunk) and stop / prevent fights.

In the course of their shift they will be abused, tormented and spat at, they may be attacked, have to break up fights, carry people out of clubs.

Then go back to the door after a fight to have some, snobby prick at 02:25 who's off his head on coke and heino calling you "an ill-educated, low life thug" go get a real job etc etc. The same chap who will be screaming for a bouncer to come rescue him when some scumbag is pounding the head off him against the bar. You then tell me wouldn't give a smart answer or be short with someone like that.

Regarding the OP i'd of turned you away too. Your aggressive attitude would of had you ear marked. Was it necessary to curse? How would you feel if someone immediately became aggressive with you and started cursing at you in your job?

Your mates cap is usually not looked as appropriate in most clubs / pubs. It also means that the door man cant see your friends face. So he cant make a call on his state of mind or if he knows you and the CCTV cannot see his face.

From personal experience, some chap with head down and cap pulled over his face making his way towards the door is never usually up to any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

shouldnt the over paid Gardai not be called to stop it rather then these power tripping apes?

:eek::eek:

:eek::eek:

Indeed, fight in club, ring Gardai, they arrive in say 5 to 10 mins (best case scenario), at least one party in the fight should be in bits by then, and the other party may well have fecked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

My shock was at the bolded bit ...the OP manages to nail the bouncers, and then the Gardai ..a double whammy of bullshít :D
    If this was your "local" pub then you should have been well known there. In fact you should be on first name terms with ALL the staff and that includes the doorstaff. The doorstaff should have easily known you and would not be asking you where you were coming from and if you had ever been in the establishment before.

Not really. There is a difference between local and regular, though the two seem to be used synonymously. I'm not know at my "local" pub, even though I do go there from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Bouncers-do we really need them?

Depends. Are a significant % of Irish people assholes? Does this % become even more noticeable when drink is involved?

Advertisement