Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bouncers-do we really need them?

Options
  • 30-09-2010 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Bit of a bugbear of mine is bouncers.

Was out last night, spur the moment job, went down to local late bar, got to door and was stopped by this short arsed ugly baldy doorman, who gave the usual 'where ya coming from', 'ya been here again' in a really aggressive manner, then asked my mate to take his hat off so he could have a look at him, I turned around and said why the **** does it matter what he looks like under his hat? he got smart with me and said he wanted to see if he seen him before, then made a remark that he'd too much hair and should get it cut, I replied that least he had hair unlike his baldy chrome dome, he laughed and in we walked.

It was a moderately busy night, me and the mate just sat there quiet drinking afew pints, all the while I was watching the bouncer in action, walking around randomly chatting up women in front their boyfriends, annoying people who didnt want talk to him, for someone suppose to keep tension and hassle to a minimal he was doing the opposite.

Got me thinking ,do we really need bouncers? like other then asking kids for their passports, have they any useful purpose, in most cases they cause more trouble then prevent, if there is trouble shouldnt the over paid Gardai not be called to stop it rather then these power tripping apes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

They don't need bouncers in the pubs I go to & funnily enough, they don't have them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Wouldn't have let you in myself tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Yes
    You'll be thankful when they save your drunken ass in a brawl

/wasted my 1000th post on this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,114 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Where there's alcohol and a few people with violent tendencies then yes - you probably do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Also, what is this WE craic about.

The pub's hire them to keep underage people out and stop fights, they are covering their own áss from lawsuits, it's not a WE, it's a THEM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭McNulty32

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Wouldn't have let you in myself tbh.

And whys that pal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Well 90% of them are grand from my experience, the ones that i have a problem with are usually when I'm hammered but don't think i am or the small percent that are just actully pr*cks

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Yes
    You'll be thankful when they save your drunken ass in a brawl

/wasted my 1000th post on this :(

Dont worry I dont need wannabe hardmen in black to save me from anything, if its serious why not call the Gaurds, isnt it their job to deal with civil diorder?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

McNulty32 wrote: »
    And whys that pal?

It's after hours.;)

Cause you seemed very cheeky and full of lip.

And in my experience, it's the cheeky and full of lip people that start the fights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Moar bouncers.

Less whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yes,most definitely,places would be crawling with drunken idiots without them.

I've never had any problems with them either,don't give them an attitude they wont give you one,simple!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Dont worry I dont need wannabe hardmen in black to save me from anything, if its serious why not call the Gaurds, isnt it their job to deal with civil diorder?

Problem is, the Gardai take half an hour to show up - by then you could be in a bin bag headin up a mountain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Says the hardman behind his keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Yes we do need them. It helps to keep the riff raff and the drunkards out so the bar staff and decent paying customers from having to deal with them. If a fight happens they break it up how long would you think it would take the guards to respond to every fight that happens in pubs around the country. In regards to the hat ya your friend should have taking it off before going in this is pretty standard in most pubs.

Must have being a crap night out if all you did is watch the bouncer to be fair!

Most bouncers are fair and hard working its just a few that give them a bad rep its the same in any walk of life really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

We'll need a bouncer in here soon/

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Cause you seemed very cheeky and full of lip.

And in my experience, it's the cheeky and full of lip people that start the fights.

Well can tell you Im very mild mannered and keep to myself and rarely get into fights unless Im provoked, why should I have be abused by some arsehole about what Im wearing or where Ive been, when all I want to do is go into my local pub and have a drink which is what Im legally entitled to do?

Have I not the right to tell this person with no authority what I think of his comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I turned around and said why the **** does it matter what he looks like under his hat?

OP, you were the first person to swear so you were the first to escalate the situation.

When a bouncer asks you questions it is to suss you out and judge your sobriety and state. They don't care which bar you came from, they do care if you swear back at them. Shows you are pissed off and looking to enter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

We wouldnt need them if people could head out for the night, drink somewhat sensibly and enjoy themselves.

Well can tell you Im very mild mannered and keep to myself and rarely get into fights unless Im provoked, why should I have be abused by some arsehole about what Im wearing or where Ive been, when all I want to do is go into my local pub and have a drink which is what Im legally entitled to do?

Have I not the right to tell this person with no authority what I think of his comments?
    Oh wow.

Hats come off so your face can be seen on cctv.
    Where you been is a standard question to see if you're drunk or not based on your response.
    You are not legally entitled to drink in a pub. You are legally entitled to make an offer to drink in a pub, which the doorman has the legal right to refuse you.

Bouncer threads are like AH's period.

• Advertisement

OP, you were the first person to swear so you were the first to escalate the situation.

When a bouncer asks you questions it is to suss you out and judge your sobriety and state. They don't care which bar you came from, they do care if you swear back at them. Shows you are pissed off and looking to enter

I get pissed off being abused by someone for no reason, let me walk in without provocation and I wouldnt swear.

By the way some bouncers are sound, but alot of them are complete pricks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Dont worry I dont need wannabe hardmen in black to save me from anything.....

what if you were pissed
    What if someone blindsided you, and then with the assistance of his ten mates cut you up with glass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

:confused: Ah no

A public house has a right to refuse service to anybody once its not of a raciest or sexiest reason.
    Legally a place that serves intoxicating liqueur must maintain an orderly house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

You have the right to tell him what you think of his comments.
    He has the authority to speak and act on behalf of the owner, who has hired him to do so. It's not just a random lad standing in the doorway. If he feels that the owner would like him to prevent you from entering, he has that authority.

I get pissed off being abused by someone for no reason, let me walk in without provocation and I wouldnt swear.

By the way some bouncers are sound, but alot of them are complete pricks
    Oh and you abused him. He asked your matew to take off his hat and where you been. Wow what a complete knob. You were right to try be smart and put him in his place.

The Citizin would be proud of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

It's about time we discussed bouncers on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I thought this was a thread about Mrs Mangels dog

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A pub with bouncers on the front door is a bad sign - they cause more trouble than they prevent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

scudzilla wrote: »
    I thought this was a thread about Mrs Mangels dog

the dog was belonged to the Robinsons wasn't it?

It was just Mrs Mangle and Plane Jane Superbrain in their house, no pets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was out last night, spur the moment job, went down to local late bar, got to door and was stopped by this short arsed ugly baldy doorman,

Every word there is irrelevant there. I'm no Brad Pitt, I doubt you are either but you know what? Unless you even have an equity card and going for a specific job then being short, ugly or bald doesn't prevent someone from doing a job.

A short, ugly, bald bouncer stops you, you swear at them and then report back to boards.ie with their negative traits.
    Did noone type keyboard warriors?

You do have a point on aggressive pricks working the door and then you ruin it like being being ugly, short and bald means your opinions are worth more then them?
    Is your daddy a barrister?

Advertisement