Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Reception difficulties in parts of the south east.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

haymur wrote: »
    How long do you think it will be before I can buy a DTT box with a built in DVR and what price it might be. I hope it will have a 7/8 day EPG so it will record single or weekly programmes

i can see a 14 day epg at the moment for the irish channels but im using a tv hooked up to a PC with sat/dtt cards...still i presume that this 14 day epg is been transmitted via the digital network...ive no problem recoding stuff with it either altho on one or two occasions the epg has been slightly off in terms of programs end times -

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

you can buy a DTT PVR today. No series link yet. The "best" one will not allow Irish retailers to import it so you can buy online instead.

The "Freeview HD" PVRs are even in chain store NI shops yet they have no HD till 2012 or later. The same shops won't stock them here, confusing them with "freeview" non-HD PVRs which don't work here. Yet they are happy to sell "Freeview" Tvs which only work on Analogue here. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056176393 and http://www.saortv.info/about/n-i-digital/

Many threads here (sadlly boards doesn't allow three letter searches)
    also a non techie gives a personal account http://www.techtir.ie/blog/des911/conversion-adventure

"Freeview HD" PVRs are not certified and some are not 100% compatible. All are much more compatible than Linux Combos, TNT HD PVRs or any other non Saorview Certified solution.

Not a big deal to have 800 to 806 as TV channels instead of 101 to 107, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Channel 5 analogue text reporting that there will be a loss of redundancy at Preseli for a week or so from 24th Feb.

There must be work going on at the site.

Hit and miss as to where you can get info like this now. BBC no longer provides info etc. But in the old days, you knew there was a problem because you got a fuzzy screen, with digital its just black screens!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

What is the point of ITV Preview and 2xTV News other than a waste of bandwidth?
    Also any idea what is planned for LCN45?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

. . . Also any idea what is planned for LCN45?

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1435687

536 posts (and counting) & they're still none the wiser.

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1435687

536 posts (and counting) & they're still none the wiser.

Have anyone in wales seen interferrence from mt leinster recently? surely someone is going to have to sort all that out - i cant see the welsh transmitter changing channels plus they probably are using most of the spectrum already allocated to them

RTE are still been stubburn on this crap - it must be ch 45....go out and buy an roof ariel even though we could change channel and then no one would have to do that!!!!!

What a joke :mad:

. . . i cant see the welsh transmitter changing channels plus they probably are using most of the spectrum already allocated to them

RTE are still been stubburn on this crap - it must be ch 45....

That post of mine you quoted was in relation to Freeview LCN 45, not UHF channel 45.

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    That post of mine you quoted was in relation to Freeview LCN 45, not UHF channel 45.

Sorry....i got carried away with my rant...can you explain LCN 45 for me please? Im at a loss lol plus i just wanted to know if the welsh are having interferrence recently from mount leinster :P

Logical Channel Number; it's just the number used in the EPG for a particular channel/service/whatever you want to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

So, still no nearer to a resolution on this. I had the test transmission on an indoor for a good while but it went when they changed channel. I don't want to go and get a fix external ariel unless I am certain it's needed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Joe7

azzeretti wrote: »
    So, still no nearer to a resolution on this. I had the test transmission on an indoor for a good while but it went when they changed channel. I don't want to go and get a fix external ariel unless I am certain it's needed!

Where do you live & in what kind of building?
    Do you realise how relatively cheap a decent outdoor aerial is compared to gimmicky indoor rubbish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Joe7 wrote: »
    Where do you live & in what kind of building?
    Do you realise how relatively cheap a decent outdoor aerial is compared to gimmicky indoor rubbish?

I'm about 12 miles south of Gorey. It's not so much the cost, but the hassle of getting up on the roof and installing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'm about 12 miles south of Gorey. It's not so much the cost, but the hassle of getting up on the roof and installing it!
    A cheap outdoor aerial hanging from a beam in the attic with a little string works an awful lot better than any indoor aerial on top of a telly and often cheaply too. Or even sticking a cheap contract aerial on top of a wardrobe or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

You may not be able to recieve CH45 from Mth Lenister due to Co-channel interference even with an outside aerial.
    You may be able to recieve Forth Mountain which would be approximately 20 - 25 miles further south. Gorey is also an option.
    A good wide band aerial mounted outside should do the job (CH 52V Forth).
    I'm living in Shrule/Ballyduff area and picking up Forth Mountain approx 25miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 wicklowgaz

Hi Guys Im based close to Tinahely and I can recieve a signal from the Arklow direction so I am guessing it is the Arklow transmitter that I am tuned into.

The signal is not the best from a wideband (H) aerial on channel 45.Its a bit of a a pain in the arse to access the aerial and rotate it 90 degrees to a V type.

Does anyone know if Arklow is H or V on channel 45?

The funny thing is that on a link i found on these forums giving the transmitter data for saorview it says that Arklow is on channel 54? Perhaps it has not been updated?

Thanks in advance gents

wicklowgaz wrote: »
    Hi Guys Im based close to Tinahely and I can recieve a signal from the Arklow direction so I am guessing it is the Arklow transmitter that I am tuned into.

The signal is not the best from a wideband (H) aerial on channel 45.Its a bit of a a pain in the arse to access the aerial and rotate it 90 degrees to a V type.

Does anyone know if Arklow is H or V on channel 45?

The funny thing is that on a link i found on these forums giving the transmitter data for saorview it says that Arklow is on channel 54? Perhaps it has not been updated?

Thanks in advance gents
    As far as i am aware the local arklow relay is on ch22 and mount leinster is still on ch45 so you might be picking up mount leinster i think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Arklow DTT is Ch 21V.
    Mt Leinster DTT is Ch 45H.

http://coverage.rtenl.ie/index.php

The Cush wrote: »
    Arklow DTT is Ch 21V.
    Mt Leinster DTT is Ch 45H.

http://coverage.rtenl.ie/index.php

The range of the arklow relay is poor as well...im 3 miles from the centre of town and i get no signal from it....is the arklow relay for the town or is it supposed to cover a wider area? Ch 45 from mt leinster is good forthe most part but does suffer from co-channel interferrence from time to time in my experience

It looks like its mount leinster is the one you are recieving

The range of the arklow relay is poor as well...im 3 miles from the centre of town and i get no signal from it....is the arklow relay for the town or is it supposed to cover a wider area? Ch 45 from mt leinster is good forthe most part but does suffer from co-channel interferrence from time to time in my experience
    The Arklow relay is beng received in Coolgreaney,4 miles due west with an outdoor contract group A aerial without a line of sight.
    I can't receive it here on an indoor aerial[2 miles west] but I can perfectly with an outdoor as can my neighbour with no line of sight..
    It's also working well on a grid near scarnagh cross.

You need a group A aerial vertically polarised.You are using an indoor aren't you?
    Although it does not work here indoors,it's so strong out at coolgreaney on the contract that practically swinging the aerial in any direction picks it up!
    Same applies here on the outdoor.

The Arklow relay is beng received in Coolgreaney,4 miles due west with an outdoor contract group A aerial without a line of sight.
    I can't receive it here on an indoor aerial[2 miles west] but I can perfectly with an outdoor as can my neighbour with no line of sight..
    It's also working well on a grid near scarnagh cross.

You need a group A aerial vertically polarised.You are using an indoor aren't you?
    Although it does not work here indoors,it's so strong out at coolgreaney on the contract that practically swinging the aerial in any direction picks it up!
    Same applies here on the outdoor.

Strange that i can recieve mt leinster on an indoor comsidering arklow is far closer and it seems the same for yourself. My indoor ariel is an onmi directional uhf and bog standard vhf. Is arklow on low power at the mo?

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, having looked at Cush's link i think ye may be right about the signal being from mt len ster ! looking at it on the map the arklow and mt lenster transmitters are 180 degrees to each other from where im in situ.

I will try rotating the aerial 180 from arklow to mt lenster and see what happens! it may be presently that i am recieving a marginal signal due to the aerial been backwards. Could it also be the mt lenister signal reflecting off a hillside? im in a valley with poor view of mt lenister.

@ Black Briar : Yes it is a outdoor aerial wideband type

Also guys does a masthead amp work with digital?

Thanks very much guys ye are legends!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A masthead amp works as long as it's not overloaded by TV signal or Tetra.

Strange that i can recieve mt leinster on an indoor comsidering arklow is far closer and it seems the same for yourself. My indoor ariel is an onmi directional uhf and bog standard vhf. Is arklow on low power at the mo?
    Mt leinster is a main tx with about 500+ times the power of arklow.
    I can pick it up here on an indoor aerial weakly if there is no presely lift.
    I won't get it in one south east facing upstairs room as presely is possible ther on an indoor.
    For a low power relay like arklow,you'd need to be in it's main beam and within a mile for good indoor reception.
    However outdoor aerials work well for it within 5 to 10 miles.

@ wicklowgaz-mt leinster is your only option.
    Arklow is too weak and there is too much high terrain between you and it.

Yes a masthead amp should help you but it might bring in presely in a lift

pm sent to you

Ok thanks very much. So the Presely signal is available a round your area. I used to be able to get BBC analog in the old days before it was switched off. Its Presely the same transmitter it used to have S4C on it.

Regards

yes-I have presely uk freeview including the hd channels from my aerial.
    If you had it in analogue and there are lots of presely aerials in Tinahely,you'd get uk digital though it would cause a problem for saorview as presely also uses ch 45 for one of it's groups of channels.

presely would be weak enough around your area though as you are in a dip albeit on high ground.Over there I'd be recommending satelite for uk stuff and saorview for the irish.
    You can get combo set top boxes that will do both and theres a few tv's that also do both.
    See the various sticky threads on the forum.

Thanks mate you are a legend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 rpm1966

If you are right on the coast in Greystones (Woodlands) is it possible to pick up UK DTT from either Wales or NI?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

rpm1966 wrote: »
    If you are right on the coast in Greystones (Woodlands) is it possible to pick up UK DTT from either Wales or NI?
    You should be able to get Arfon (vertical polarisation) pretty reliably, but it is "Freeview Lite" as it is only a relay station. Lots of aerials in Greystones have received analogue from Arfon for years. It has a cut-down lineup of channels in comparison to the main transmitters. I'm unable to pick it up reliably as my house is shielded by rising ground. Freesat will give you more channels than Arfon and is totally reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

Is there Anyone in Charlsland getting a Welsh or NI DTT reception my Daughter lives up at the last row of houses which are fairly high and she has Sky but would like to try an aerial for cost savings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

haymur wrote: »
    Is there Anyone in Charlsland getting a Welsh or NI DTT reception my Daughter lives up at the last row of houses which are fairly high and she has Sky but would like to try an aerial for cost savings

Your daughter can get all the UK Free-To-Air TV channel on a sky box even if she doesn't have a subscription. If she powers off her box (unplugs it) then removes the viewing card and powers the box back up the EPG should have changed to the UK default one and channel like BBC1 & 2, ITV, C4 etc will be available without a viewing card. This should work with the standard Sky box, the newer HD boxes have a firmware update that keeps the Old EPG in it's memory.

If she wanted she could get a FreesatHD box to replace the Sky box.

Advertisement