Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Reception difficulties in parts of the south east.

Options

Comments

yeah it's your wales reception thats blocking mt leinster ch 45
    You'd have both if rte listened to us and transmitted on ch39

Stubborness prevents this and you are one of many losers.

You should contact a t.d and ask why its acceptable that your now perfect analogue rte reception is not being replaced by reliable dtt and why you are being forced to spend extra money to put up a dish because rte have stubbornly stuck with the crap ch 45 and not used the reliable ch 39 for the south east...

Leo vradkar fine gaels communications spokesperson is aware of this issue,I understand and is making enquiries of comreg.
    I'd advise contacting him directly and covering the email to mick darcy :)

This farce will be ignored otherwise.
    I'd advise,you let your neighbours know that unless they also contact their t.d's,they will also be put to unnecessary expense in 2012 and will lose the ability to have a tv in any room they want as easily as they do now without more expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

i guess that last post was why i cant get english stations on the tv then yeah black briar?

i know mick darcy well and his office is only up the road. ill pop in tomorrow and have a word with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Ye your right, its a joke that many people in the Southeast will have to invest money just because channel 39 is not powered up.
    I could recieve DTT (Signal strength 28, Quality 10 worked pretty well) during the test but not on the launch.
    I will contact Mick Darcy on the matter and ask for his help.
    I have also emailed RTEnl on DTT, but they are taking along of time in answering my mail.

wreckless wrote: »
    i guess that last post was why i cant get english stations on the tv then yeah black briar?

i know mick darcy well and his office is only up the road. ill pop in tomorrow and have a word with him.

No,you'll get all the uk channels with a simple service of your aerial,I should imagine.
    It's only the channels on ch45 that you will not get.
    But you can get over 60 channels.

What Mick Darcy needs to know is many people in rural areas outside gorey cannot get saorview because they cannot pick up mount leinsters ch 45 properly as it is co channel with a very strong welsh signal in the area..
    For a lot of people it's a case of sometimes they do and sometimes they don't depending on weather and how strong the welsh signal is on the day.
    Choosing ch 39 which is freely available and works brilliantly would be the smart thing for RTENL to do...

What did they do instead?? they fired up the useless ch 45 from mt leinster and then spent 100's of thousands on new transmitters for arklow and gorey to alleviate a problem that would have been free to fix if they broadcast saorview on ch 39 instead..

Typical public service eh...

i will defintely get my aerial looked at. can you pm the details of your friend please? thanks ;)

so, was reading another thread on the other sticky and it got me thinking, i got a dvb-t tv tuner card with my laptop, so i dug it out, installed it, plugged in the aerial from the back of the tv into it, did a search and hey presto, found all 16 channels on the laptop too. only thing i think i need to get some codecs to get work fully again, i have sound and no picture. im updating windows media player and hp quickplay now to see if that works and reading up on what other people have come accross

going to be a long night me thinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

wreckless wrote: »
    i will defintely get my aerial looked at. can you pm the details of your friend please? thanks ;)

so, was reading another thread on the other sticky and it got me thinking, i got a dvb-t tv tuner card with my laptop, so i dug it out, installed it, plugged in the aerial from the back of the tv into it, did a search and hey presto, found all 16 channels on the laptop too. only thing i think i need to get some codecs to get work fully again, i have sound and no picture. im updating windows media player and hp quickplay now to see if that works and reading up on what other people have come accross

going to be a long night me thinks

You need mpeg4 codecs to be installed, When installed you'll have video and sound. ffdshow tryouts is a good free options http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffds...eric%20builds/.

CoreAVC works well too but it's payware, personal I now use the codec from Powerdvd 10 google "HDpack 2.4"

hi again. and im back for more help

so after downloading the fdd show, now do i need to configure it to anything special to get windows media player to show the video feed? i can still hear it but cant view the channels. ill keep looking at the wmp updates and see if i get anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

NOT Media Player...Media CENTER

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

When is Saorsat rolling out?
    I know a few areas here in Donegal that cant get any signal anaologue etc. So they are eager to get it, people in these areas are forced to purchase Sky to get national tv channels.

ah, i meant media centre, keep typing player :rolleyes:

so any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Pangea wrote: »
    When is Saorsat rolling out?
    I know a few areas here in Donegal that cant get any signal anaologue etc. So they are eager to get it, people in these areas are forced to purchase Sky to get national tv channels.

Q2 2011, if the satellite expected to carry the service, Eutelsat Ka-Sat, gets off the ground OK and into the correct orbit in late Dec.
    Conor Hayes, RTÉ CFO

The board of RTE has recently approved a unique satellite based approach, developed by RTE Networks Limited, that will enable Irish public service channels to be made available free to air and unencrypted, for the first time, as a means of covering the last 2% of the population. We anticipate that the Saorsat satellite service will be available from the second quarter of 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The Cush wrote: »
    Q2 2011, if the satellite expected to carry the service, Eutelsat Ka-Sat, gets off the ground OK and into the correct orbit in late Dec.
    Thanks
    Some of these questions probably sound daft but I thought id ask them anyways :pac: :
    Is saorsat going to look the same as saorview, same epg etc.?
    Is this in MPEG4 aswell?
    Will areas not in the 2% be recieving saor sat as overspill or how does that work out?
    edit: Just realised that a satellite will be needed , what satellies will people be expected to purchase and will a mpeg4 decoder be needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks
    Some of these questions probably sound daft but I thought id ask them anyways :pac: :
    Is saorsat going to look the same as saorview, same epg etc.?
    Is this in MPEG4 aswell?
    Will areas not in the 2% be recieving saor sat as overspill or how does that work out?
    edit: Just realised that a satellite will be needed , what satellies will people be expected to purchase and will a mpeg4 decoder be needed.

RTÉ have been totally silent on Saorsat since they publically announced the project existed in a presentation to the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Communications in mid July. They have not even confirmed tha name or orbital position of the satellite to deliver the service.

Any answers to your questions would be speculation until RTÉ decide we need to know.

Watty has speculated quiet a bit on his site as to how the service might operate, suggest you read his overview.

EDIT: What we do know from the presentation is that it will use a different frequency band and satellite position - Ka Band as opposed to Ku Band, 9 deg. E (speculated) as opposed to 28 deg. E - so a new LNB, receiver and smaller dish will be required (hybrid Saorsat/freesat dishes/receiver may become available in time). No Saorsat equipment is available yet.

Hi there, My mother was looking for a clear picture in her kitchen. She has a LG with dvb tuner. A couple of months ago she was enjoying perfect, and better than sky picture quality from Mount Leinster. One day the picture went but she still had sound. This is the same in my Aunts house and she has an roof Antenna.

Why do both of them have sound and no picture? The radio channels work perfect. The channels tune in no problem, there is some kind of picture but it's very dark. We live in Kildare near Carlow town. Could this be because of the CH45 issue with Wales?

If they had picture at anytime from mt leinster on dtt then they have the required mpeg4 tv as Mt Leinster never did mpeg 2.

Three rock did do mpeg 2 though but that must be 2 years ago or more.

Is there any possibility that you had been looking at analogue when you saw the perfect pictures?
    Could you post details of the model number and make of the tv's in question-especially the model number.

Hi there, My mother was looking for a clear picture in her kitchen. She has a LG with dvb tuner. A couple of months ago she was enjoying perfect, and better than sky picture quality from Mount Leinster. One day the picture went but she still had sound. This is the same in my Aunts house and she has an roof Antenna.

Why do both of them have sound and no picture? The radio channels work perfect. The channels tune in no problem, there is some kind of picture but it's very dark. We live in Kildare near Carlow town. Could this be because of the CH45 issue with Wales?

Your problem isn't related to the CH45 interference issue. Picture and no sound means there is a problem with the TV. In your case I'd say one of the embedded signal flags used to identify the signal data streams was changed by RTE and your TV no longer recognised it, i believe some Panasonic TV have a simular problem.

Have you tried doing a factory reset and rescanning the channels ? If the region code on the TV is UK you may need to change the region code to Ireland (if available) or France or Solvenia. A firmware update may be available for the TV which could also fix the problem , what is the exact model of the TV ?

I did a factory reset and it worked! I checked before I reset and it was set for Ireland.

The picture quality is better than on sky, but up close I do notice that they might have it more compressed than they should have?

Anyway my mother is thrilled she doesn't have to look at snow!

Thanks lads

I did a factory reset and it worked! I checked before I reset and it was set for Ireland.

The picture quality is better than on sky, but up close I do notice that they might have it more compressed than they should have?

Anyway my mother is thrilled she doesn't have to look at snow!

Thanks lads

Your welcome, a good guess on my part :D

RTE2 will have better picture quality as it runs at a higher resolution that the others (expect the HD test channel of course). The PQ may improve when the second mux is a available which will provided more space for extra channels and maybe higher bit-rates on the existing ones. The 2nd mux won't be on until the full service is launched next year so we'll have to wait to see if I'm right on that one.

PS - For future reference can you please let us know what model the TV is, just in case somebody else has the same problem.

Thanks

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Your welcome, a good guess on my part :D

RTE2 will have better picture quality as it runs at a higher resolution that the others (expect the HD test channel of course). The PQ may improve when the second mux is a available which will provided more space for extra channels and maybe higher bit-rates on the existing ones. The 2nd mux won't be on until the full service is launched next year so we'll have to wait to see if I'm right on that one.

PS - For future reference can you please let us know what model the TV is, just in case somebody else has the same problem.

Thanks

The Model of the T.V is M227WDP it's an LG

The Model of the T.V is M227WDP it's an LG

Thanks ,

RTENL made some more changes today just a few hours after you done the factory reset so you might have to full rescan or reset again.

• Advertisement

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Thanks ,

RTENL made some more changes today just a few hours after you done the factory reset so you might have to full rescan or reset again.

Yep, did it. After reset it automatically did a retune.

I wasn't impressed with rtenl's quality, again there is a noticeable amount of compression artefacts. I hope that it improves.

TV companies sometimes fail to realise that real HD is more than just 1920-1080. Too much compression means the picture quality suffers greatly.

The BBC when they launched their HD service on Astra were highly criticized with the way they compressed the picture. Now it's very good. Not blu ray good of course! :D

I find RTE two quality to be great,RTE1 and tv3 to be terrible to be honest and RTENL hd to be brilliant.
    Thats with a strong signal.

RTE1 quality is worse than BBC1 Sd from presely imho.

Having itv1 hd spoils you if you watch that as does the hd quality of sky channels.
    I'm not overly impressed with BBC1 hd quality either.
    Only marginally better than SD

Great to watch the formula one in HD on BBC1 Satellite all the way from Brazil but we can't manage anything useful from Donnybrook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

As Far as I know Formula 1 is not in true HD. The majority of the programmes on BBC One HD are upscaled SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭elsie1b

Jpmarn wrote: »
    As Far as I know Formula 1 is not in true HD. The majority of the programmes on BBC One HD are upscaled SD.
    When I was watching ,the presenter welcomed viewers watching Formula 1 in HD on BBC 1 HD.

Chances are that some of it was upscaled, especially the in-car stuff. However I am reasonably confident that the BBC's own content was HD judging by the number of blackheads and stray hairs that were easy to see during some interviews.
    Anyway we are well off topic and forum, so enough said.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Sam the Aerialman

There was some previous commentary about an aerial cylinder being omni-directional.
    Thought you might actually like a look inside one during installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Sam the Aerialman

And to follow on.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bjp1967

Is there at problem with Mt Leinster reception this weekend, there is constant break up on all channels, at present all channels are DTT channels are gone, had no issues up to now, rescanned my philips tv but no joy.

location: 10 miles south of kilkenny city, can almost see mt leinster from house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bjp1967

Update:

just did a rescan and no digital channels found at all only the 4 analog channels, at least before the 17 digital channels were found

Advertisement