Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Reception difficulties in parts of the south east.

Options

Comments

yeah Arklows problems are solved now , as are mine.
    That tx looks like it is firing highest gain in the direction of mountain bay.
    It's useless for outside the town unless you are on high ground.

Areas from kilkarra to Barniskey and those types of higher areas with a view to Arklow for instance right across to Ballyfad in North wexford with views of Arklow should get it with an outdoor aerial.

Coolgreaney is still in the dark though.Much of it will get Mt leinster with a dedicated on it's own outdoor leinster aerial but it will be killed on days that presely is strong.

So putting up a digital tx in Gorey and Arklow solves the urban problems there and some of the environs but leaves rural areas in the lurch unless they go to ch 39.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

Hi Lads,
    No DTT on Monasootagh Relay, Co. Wexford.
    Realigned aerial for Mth. Lenister - No DTT.

However UK DTT came in on the back of the aerial, everything except channel 45.

I suppose I will have to invest in Saorsat in the future. :(

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    No DTT on Monasootagh Relay, Co. Wexford.
    Realigned aerial for Mth. Lenister - No DTT.

However UK DTT came in on the back of the aerial, everything except channel 45.

I suppose I will have to invest in Saorsat in the future. :(
    Can you get anything on ch54 which is kippure ?

Gorey is supposed to be on but I don't believe it is,it's supposed to be also ch 54 but I know people that can't get kippure and can see Gorey but have nothing on ch 54.
    Kippure 54 on the other hand can get into Gorey which makes the choice of 54 there wierd unless sfn rules come into play?
    Maybe watty might answer that one?

Can you have a distant high power tx and a local low power tx on the same channel,outputting the same stations operate a default sfn?

Thanks BB, will try the aerial in a Gorey - Kippure direction and let you know how I get on.

Gorey if on is probably vertical whereas kippure is horizontal.
    Kippure works better closer to the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭eh2010

Has any one managed to pick up the rte digital channels in the cork harbour area?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Having spent the last few days down in Kerry, I am really struggling with the concept that RTÉ are installing gear in places where there was no analogue mast before and are choosing to switch off sites in the west.

The Arklow mast is a poor choice, most of Gorey uses Mt Leinster and there is no precedent for a UHF site in Wexford Town.

Who wrote the business plan for this? The cheapest solution would be to re-negotiate the frequency allocations, to protect the integrity of the terrestrial infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

im in gorey, have just tried the tuner in my sony and have picked up the rte statios, ....nearly. i can hear them , but the screen is saying"no video" wtf?

i go into settings and i get channel 55? for all stations, rte 1, 2, etc.

im picking up all the digital radio stations too but cannot view any picture?

any ideas?

Your tv is mpeg 2

Saorview is mpeg 4

great.....

so its half way there yeah? so all this sales bull**** about it being able to receive digital tv is kinda misleading, it will receive it, but just not fully.

• Advertisement

are you sure its the model number you posted in the other thread?

im trying the other tv, the sony, its a couple of years old by now. im reading that other thread now.

40PFL9704 is the set you said you have.
    I can't find the specs for that online but it looks to be uk spec mpeg2 only.
    When did you get it and where?
    If they said it was mpeg4 and irish digital ready,thenI'd bring it back as they sold you a pup unfortunately.

wreckless wrote: »
    im trying the other tv, the sony, its a couple of years old by now. im reading that other thread now.
    its unlikely to be mpeg4 if it is a few years old.
    Try the philips,you could be lucky there.

That one is mpeg4 and should work perfectly,pictures and sound.
    Try a digital manual tune on ch 54 then 55 and also on c21 and ch 45 or a full digital tune and let us know what you get.
    Obviously have the outdoor aerial connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

BB its unlikely to be mpeg4 if it is a few years old.
    Try the philips,you could be lucky there.
    40PFL9704...... on link below it says:
    Ready for digital
    • MPEG4 HDTV reception via DVB-T and DVB-C tuner with CI+*

http://www.thehomecinemacentre.co.uk/Downloads/Philips%2040PFL9704.pdf

as soon as the mrs. get off it, x-factor :rolleyes: ill have a good mess with it.

danjo, do you reckom its needs something else to get it capable of receiving this new irish saorview?

Nothing else is needed for that philips.
    It has an inbuilt mpeg4 tuner which will decode saorview for you.

In fact if your welsh aerial is still connected,you may also get the ukfreeview channels so do a full digital tune when x factor is over.

What type of aerial have you?
    Used you get welsh channels before? because if you did,this tv will give you the digital versions,up to 60 channels in perfect digital quality provided your welsh aerial is still connected properly...aswell as saorview

the uk stations we used to get off the arial. but afaik, in the last year they disappeared, and with my parents too up the road. to watch bbc etc, we use the fta satellite box. hmm, i do kinda remember having a guy come down and talking about the arial, that maybe some of its broken, cant fully remember, but it rings a bell. he did say that there was no point in spending, getting a new arial on the roof as the whole irish digital revolution was coming.

maybe a new roof arial is needed? or repair? ill see now in a while.

did the wales reception not die in the wexford area recently?

• Advertisement

nope it just went digital.
    I have 60 plus channels off the aerial here in arklow from wales.
    Even with the aerial in bad nick,you might get some,they are definitely worth having!
    X factors over so get tuning,I'm curious and I wanna head out soon :D

ah black briar, shes killing me.....xtra factor now....:eek:

here, cheers for the help and replies, ill have a butchers tonight for sure, and let u know here how i get on

plus the pub is calling, plenty of madness out and about tonight

okie dokie
    If you want your aerial serviced,pm me and I'll give you the number of the best aerial guy in wexford,the world :D who is based in Gorey actually :)
    ciao and deffo keep us posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

ah black briar, shes killing me.....xtra factor now....:eek:

here, cheers for the help and replies, ill have a butchers tonight for sure, and let u know here how i get on

plus the pub is calling, plenty of madness out and about tonight

Hi wreckless, I meant comment on your post on the other thread earlier today but never got a chance to. Your TV is Mpeg4 compatiable however you may need to install a firmware update.

Reading the FAQ and the firmware update notes I see Solvenia which uses DVB-T Mpeg4 like Ireland needed an update for this TV. See bottom of this page - http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=40PFL9704H%2F12&dct=FAQ&faqview=1&new_tmpl=1&refdisplay=UP_A_TV543_SWHISTORY_76316&refnr=0076316&scy=IE&slg=ENG

See the Firmware notes release notes and the readme file on this page for instructions on installing firmware update.http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=40PFL9704H/12&slg=en&scy=IE

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Hi wreckless, I meant comment on your post on the other thread earlier today but never got a chance to. Your TV is Mpeg4 compatiable however you may need to install a firmware update.

Reading the FAQ and the firmware update notes I see Solvenia which uses DVB-T Mpeg4 like Ireland needed an update for this TV. See bottom of this page - http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=40PFL9704H%2F12&dct=FAQ&faqview=1&new_tmpl=1&refdisplay=UP_A_TV543_SWHISTORY_76316&refnr=0076316&scy=IE&slg=ENG

See the Firmware notes release notes and the readme file on this page for instructions on installing firmware update.http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=40PFL9704H/12&slg=en&scy=IE
    It's not that every tv needed an update.
    That faq at the starts shows you how to check what software issue is in your tv.
    An update may not be needed at all,as it depends on the manufacture date of the tv.
    It may have came with all the right software on board.

I'd go do a search fror digital channels first,a full auto scan and make sure you store them if found

Theres no point in finding them if you don't store them!

Now wreckless,if the mrs is watching the repeats of x factor...send her up to the sony :D and start tuning

Can you get anything on ch54 which is kippure ?

Gorey is supposed to be on but I don't believe it is,it's supposed to be also ch 54 but I know people that can't get kippure and can see Gorey but have nothing on ch 54.
    Kippure 54 on the other hand can get into Gorey which makes the choice of 54 there wierd unless sfn rules come into play?
    Maybe watty might answer that one?

Can you have a distant high power tx and a local low power tx on the same channel,outputting the same stations operate a default sfn?

Hi Black Briar, I tried for Gorey and Kippure in the H position - No Signal.
    Will try for Gorey in V position today but I think I may be grasping at straws as I live inland and on the Gorey/Enniscorthy district borders.
    Thanks

boys, i scanned last night, and picked up the new irish stations. rte1,2, nl test, radio and the new rte news station that looks very like sky news...onlin in blue.

delighted goes over the head. im gonna update the software on the tv anyway, i see there is a newer version than the one installed.

no english channels came in when i scanned, would that be the possible fauly arial perhaps?

anyway, thanks for all the help and advice. looks like an afternoon in from the lappy and tv. think ill light the fire too... :D

can you post a pic of the aerial?
    It's probably worth fixing.
    What channel number are you getting the rte's on?

so i re-scanned again, updated the software first, set my country to uk, it didnt pick up any uk stations at all, but has totally picked up the full dtt service. now rte1 is channel 1, a bit along the top of the screen show the time, program showing etc. very cool indeed. so ive got rte1,rte2,rtenl 1,tg4, all the radio stations, pulse, xfm etc, and then all the normal aerial terrestrial rte s etc too. from 1-27.

ill snap a pic of the arial when it stops lashing outside

• Advertisement

Gorey if on is probably vertical whereas kippure is horizontal.
    Kippure works better closer to the coast.

Tried Gorey Vertical - no signal.

Unless they make Monasootha DTT, it looks like Saorsat for me.

However picked up great Wales DTT, might be worth my while putting up a second aerial and combiner for extra stations not recieved on Freesat.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement