Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Reception difficulties in parts of the south east.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

im getting nothing either, i think it was working last night, no signal today, did a rescan and nothing. Im in Wexford town. Was working fine past few weeks after a dodgy start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daibhid

Last week all channels were off in the Arklow area. When they returned RTE 2 had sound only with a temporary RTE 2 channel with an expiry date shown April 2011. I am using a SAGEM PICNIC BOX on what I think is channel 21. Anyone know why RTE 2 has sound on channel only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Because your Picnic box does not support HD (which is required on Saorview).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

daibhid wrote: »
    Last week all channels were off in the Arklow area. When they returned RTE 2 had sound only with a temporary RTE 2 channel with an expiry date shown April 2011. I am using a SAGEM PICNIC BOX on what I think is channel 21. Anyone know why RTE 2 has sound on channel only.

http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/the-black-list/

and

http://www.saortv.info/news/

The Picnic was specially made for a Sky pay DTT service in UK. When Sky never got permission to launch, those boxes should have been recycled, not sold/dumped on the market. Sky was very arrogant ordering them before service approval.

They are poor quality and it was known over two years ago that such boxes are not compatible.

If the box was explicity sold for Irish use you are entitled to a refund or replacement by law.
    http://www.techtir.ie/blog/cinocat4/no-dtt-get-money-back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I have no signal here all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

mount leinster has gone AWOL on me again in the last day and its still gone

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

I can confirm that Mt. Leinster is working. Receiving DTT in Wexford town

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Fr0g wrote: »
    I can confirm that Mt. Leinster is working. Receiving DTT in Wexford town
    On what channel (frequency) are you receiving it?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

On what channel (frequency) are you receiving it?

I'm fairly sure it's on ch. 45 but would have to retune to make sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

looks like its co-channel interferrence :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 grayface

Evening all, I would be pleased if one could tell me, if one living in Dingle Co.Kerry. would be able to receive RTE DTT channels.I can get them in East Cork, but would like to know,on behalf of an old aged couple, who live in Dingle.
    Cheers and thanks in advance for any info given.
    grayface

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭haymur

Does anyone know of a way of feeding analog and digital signal into single RF socket on a TV so both tuners can have a feed. I have UPC DVR which has a analog feed out of it which I feed upstairs to a Philips 32LED . It works very well when a attic aerial is put in for all DTT local stations but when you combine it with UPC analog lead on a splitter it stops working on digital. UPC say it wont work because of a conflict of signals
    Any suggestions welcome

yes. The UPC digital and modem signals use the same band. Your only possible UPC analogue is on VHF using a VHF-UHF diplexer to combine the two.

UPC will likely stop analogue eventually using 2012 as an excuse to have more channels for Digital and Modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

Anyone having problems getting channels in west dublin? A rescan on the tv didnt find anything. Went in the middle of the bloody lotto.

Thanks for the tip. I just wanted a stopgap fix for a good digital reception. I have a HumaxHD DVR for sat stations and I am waiting for a DTT DVR with Mpeg4 to come on the market at a good price so I can record Saorview. RTE networks are a bit slow with their approval of units

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

haymur wrote: »
    RTE networks are a bit slow with their approval of units

Not RTÉ's fault, blame the manufacturers.

The manufacturers must submit their products for compliance testing to Teracom Sweden with the appropriate fee, if the unit passes the testing process it can then be licenced by RTÉ to carry the Saorview logo.
    RTÉ has appointed Teracom AB to conduct receiver compliance testing for SAORVIEW receivers, both STBs and iDTVs. Those receivers which pass the tests thereby meeting the SAORVIEW specification will be eligible to be licensed to use the “SAORVIEW” logo, which will confirm to consumers that the receiver is SAORVIEW compliant.

Manufacturers/distributors wishing to use the SAORVIEW logo should contact Teracom (irdtest@teracom.se) to arrange testing. When a receiver passes the tests, it will then be eligible to be licensed by RTÉ to carry the SAORVIEW logo.

Current SAORVIEW approved receivers:
    Walker Technology Products Ltd
    Walker WP10DTP & WP11DTP set top box receivers
    Walker WPxx (19”-46”) MP4 range of iDTV sets.

http://www.rtenl.ie/saorview.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

The Cush wrote: »
    Not RTÉ's fault, blame the manufacturers.

The manufacturers must submit their products for compliance testing to Teracom Sweden with the appropriate fee, if the unit passes the testing process it can then be licenced by RTÉ to carry the Saorview logo.

Perhaps the lack of enthusiasm by the manufacturers means they don't think the Irish market is big enough to worry about just yet... ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

marclt wrote: »
    Perhaps the lack of enthusiasm by the manufacturers means they don't think the Irish market is big enough to worry about just yet... ???

Yes. Its not like the UK with a 66m population to concentrate minds.

The biggest problem is not certification but basic compliance. That means that the manufacturers need to profile Ireland in the country spec according to the minimum spec published in 2008. Remember all the major manufacturers actually have a pan european range and the various specs are adhered to by the setup options (i.e. Country profiling).

2011 and we have major manufacturers like Phillips with the right hardware and the wrong software for Ireland. They think we use MHP. We dont. They are on the CEDA group!

Sony can get it right, LG have it right, Samsung have it right. Neither LG or Samsung are on CEDA.

Phillips and Panasonic havent got it right. Why?

Sony by all accounts have a TV in for certification with Terracom, the X or Z range (cant remember).

marclt wrote: »

It's only €40M to €250M in TV sales a year. ;)

Sky's Irish revenue is heading for 150M a year, the VAT (now 20% = €30M?) goes to UK.

UK market about €1B to €6B in TV sales a year.

The best hope for choice and good price may thus be "Freeview HD" models. The "Freeview HD" market is really embryonic yet and won't be full potential till 2012/2013, as trail broadcasts only started in late 2009 and many areas don't even have signal yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

watty wrote: »
    The best hope for choice and good price may thus be "Freeview HD" models. The "Freeview HD" market is really embryonic yet and won't be full potential till 2012/2013, as trail broadcasts only started in late 2009 and many areas don't even have signal yet.

The FreeviewHD spec is not fully compatible with Saorview. It has incorrect handling of teletext and LCNs. It does most things but the D book is not a published document and its contents are interpreted by manufacturers in their own wonderful way. Panasonic and Philips are noted in their firmware problems. It would not be too hard to get products to get certified for both, surely.

Saorview certification is needed, and even self-certification would work for companies that had at least certified one product.

When we need IT jobs here why are we getting the Swedes to do this testing?

• Advertisement

I know that. But if there is no suitable Saorview product it's the next best thing. Some "Freeview HD" will be better than others and in time Manufacturers may ensure better Irish compatibility. It's much better than TNT-HD.

One would assume Teracom was chosen in a hurry when it looked like Boxer was taking a licence. I don't beleive there is any existing facility in Ireland that is qualfied or experienced to do this.

Self certification is absolutely a non-starter for this kind of product. You read about the Triax 537?

This is not IT but Communications Engineering and embedded systems. The only people that ever did training in that in These Islands used to be BBC at Woodnorton and in some areas The pre-BT British Post Office (one of whose Engineers created a Computer at Blechley Park). Now maybe Netherlands, France and Germany has that sort of training and resources. Not UK or Ireland (BBC was forced to sell of Transmitter Network, Woodnorton and both BT and BBC research are a pale shadow of 1970s).

A lot of the top RTE NL engineers were BBC trained. Broadcasters all over the world used to send people on courses at Woodnorton. Though probably the Germans didn't need to send anyone.

IT people would be useless.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

IT people would be useless.

No, that is not correct. Politicians are useless.

IT people are of limited use - or at least some of them are. Some are a waste of space, but that applies to most professions/jobs. Testing boxes is just a case of following test procedures - not particularly taxing of the old grey matter. Particularly if the test equipment is any good.

Regular IT people are OK for IT. But no use for embedded systems, Comms, Telecoms etc.

You've done Digital receiver compliance testing then?

No. It's not as simple as having fancy test gear, Nordig 2.2 and the RTE variations and MHEG5 1.6 UK broadcast profile. You have to interpret the specifications and design tests. Build test data streams, correct and suitably broken ones. You need experience to interpret what the test gear is saying on some tests.

It's "interesting" even verifying the test data is what you think it is. I doubt RTE NL could do it with a high degree of assurance.

Self certification is absolutely a non-starter for this kind of product. You read about the Triax 537?

Triax have not got any products certified, so they would not qualify for self-certification under my rules. Can you imagine the likes of Sony or Samsung certifying 20 or thirty models every year? It will not happen.

I would prefer self-certification, rather than the Panasonic situation where they tell their Irish customers to go and get stuffed. If they were to self-certify, they would be liable for any failings. But first, they would have to get at least one product certified.

Different boxes and screen sizes with same hardware and software should be one test for certification. i.e. A LG 32LD450 is same as a LG 42LD450. I don't know if they do this.

Sony are lunatics if they have 30 models a year other than simple variations of screen size or colour of cabinet.

Self certification is crazy talk. You just get junk. if it's not independently tested how do you prove their failings? What happens if after 3 years RTE, TG4, TV3, Oireachtas or Film channel use a feature hitherto unused and it doesn't work on all Sony sets or triax Boxes?

For this kind of product you absolutely can't have self certification.

For this kind of product you absolutely can't have self certification.

Well, we have non-certification at the moment. Not much use to the general public, particularly when Tesco are putting up helpful signs saying 'Freeview not available here' (whatever Freeview is).

If there was a legal requirement to be certified, like the French did, that would be useful. But at least self-certification would give a legal background to non-performance in a Sale of Goods case.

At the present time, there is nothing to support the purchaser.

Well, we have non-certification at the moment. Not much use to the general public, particularly when Tesco are putting up helpful signs saying 'Freeview not available here' (whatever Freeview is).

If there was a legal requirement to be certified, like the French did, that would be useful. But at least self-certification would give a legal background to non-performance in a Sale of Goods case.

At the present time, there is nothing to support the purchaser.

There is a Certification scheme. It's just expensive and not mandatory.

self-certification would give a legal background to non-performance in a Sale of Goods case
    How? It's meaningless in this kind of product.

On Sale of Goods it's Simple. Apart from certification you can say a TV or Set box is compatible with Irish Digital TV if it has:
    Video
    MPEG4 H.264 L3 and L4
    Setbox outlets: HD on HDMI with HDCP support and SD, and down scaled HD on SCART
    TV inputs, at least one each of: RF, HDMI with HDCP and SCART
    Audio
    MP2 and HE-AAC audio (DTS, AC3/DD not required)
    RF
    DVB-T (DVB-T2 is permitted)
    UHF (there is a requirement in Spec for VHF, but utilisation of this seems vanishingly unlikely, so a Maker can likely "get off" on this one unless VHF is deployed).
    Middleware
    MHEG5 UK 1.06 Broadcast Profile is mandatory

Claiming you have these, you can claim your TV or Set is Irish Digital Compatible. It won't do OTA updates, as RTE NL will only do these for Certified sets. It might not pass Certification.

You can't have two schemes. That way lies madness. But on basis of what RTE and RTE NL has published:
    1) You can only claim Saorview Compatibility if certified as result of passing tests by authorised independent test house. RTE could give contract to someone else eventually. We don't know terms of Contract with Teracom, but the price isn't extortionately high for this kind of Certification in Scandinavia. A bit high maybe.

2) You can claim to be "Irish Digital Compatible" with out certification. If you have read the Nordig 2.2 and RTE NL's spec and believe your box or TV meets the requirements, the most basic of which are above as an expansion of RTE's own advice to purchasers:
    Key elements of the receiver specification include the following:

1. The receiver needs to be capable of decoding both Standard Definition (SD) and High Definition (HD) MPEG 4 signals. This is important as RTÉ is planning to replace its current SD RTÉ Two service with an RTÉ Two HD service on SAORVIEW. More HD services are likely to follow in the future.

2. The receiver needs to have MHEG5 middleware to decode RTÉ’s proposed new Digital Aertel Service and other possible interactive services.
    via http://www.rte.ie/saorview/receiving.html

On such a product with such complexity there can be no "self certification" for "Saorview". However nothing is stopping people who believe they are compatible in all important aspects (which are suggested by RTE above) claiming "Irish Digital TV compatibility".

But
    Lets say a non PVR Setbox retails at €70 in Tesco with very little margin and certification is €20,000. Then selling only 1,000 adds €20 to price. The walker boxes are amazingly about €30 more expensive than similar non-certified Vestel made boxes. Sell 20,000 and the extra cost is 1 Euro.

TV (or real HDD dual Tuner PVR) on average is Retail €400. Selling only 1,000 adds €20 to price. Sell 20,000 and the extra cost is 1 Euro. Note that in any sane scenario different screen sizes if proven to be same HW and SW, ought to be only one certification.

Certification is obviously a biggest issue for very basic boxes. Most of these come from either Vestel or 3 to 5 Asian producers. Perhaps the Manufacturers should certify the un-badged box. That would only happen if certification is mandatory for Irish Market. (Government has been USELESS on DTT over the last 12 years).

For the TVs averaged over screen size and true HDD dual tuner PVRs, the certification is expensive, but a possible cost.

It's likely the market for set-boxes is a lot more than 500,000 over the next 3 years if people with UPC and Sky buy boxes for 2nd and 3rd TV sets.

The Annual TV market I think is naturally 120,000 to 200,000 units a year. But that can rise due to ASO or DSO provoking people to buy new TVs, or HD, 3D or Olympics provoking folk to buy new tvs.

It's almost criminal that today the shops are full of incompatible new TVs. If the TV doesn't do the minimum above it's not at all compatible. If it doesn't do Video + Audio via aerial after ASO, it's not any longer a TV, but a video Monitor.

I agree with all you say, but certification is a total failure with only one of the lesser manufacturers going for it. Therefore, it might as well not exist.

By going for a Swedish testing house, the costs are huge, and logistics will increase those costs. Any small manufacturer could not sustain that type of regime, particularly for STBs. The price point of €50 needs to be the target, but with a €20,000 entry cost, it would require substantial sales into an unproved market. Not for the feint-hearted.

It would have been possible to set up an Irish test house at a reasonable cost. I am sure you would have been interested in helping to set one up. I do not suppose you were approached.

Why has everything about this DTT been bungled, apart from the actual roll out? Why all the secrecy?

I'd have had to charge more than Teracom ;) and also I'd have to hire foreign Test Engineers. Also it would not have any international reputation. You can only use an established test house or the Manufacturers won't trust it.

There so far has been almost zero Government investment, yet they hope to "reap" the bounty of the Digital Dividend. Most of the Bungling has been due to Government policy in insisting on a Pay TV partner.

The Certification isn't looking good at the minute. But we have not had Full Launch, nor start of any Public publicity at all yet. (Coming End February or Start of March).

There is estimate of 20,000 Homes for Saorsat. The extra cost compared to Aerial should be subsidized if RTENL says you can't get a signal, as it's a policy decision. So Dish and Ka Band LNB paid for but not install or box, but only in official no-signal areas. (as many people need aerial install and box for DTT. The DTT service is planned assuming almost everyone uses outdoor aerial. That's RTENL's recommendation).

There is estimate of maybe 100,000 to 200,000 homes ought to get an ASO subsidy.
    See http://www.saortv.info/2010/12/08/grants-for-set-box/ Obviously a Subsidy of €1.5M too low for 100,000 homes, that's only €15 each!

The new Government should tender for 5 suppliers (actual real ones, not 5 companies rebadging the same Vestel box) to supply box in exchange for ASO subsidy Cert, the Distributor to get €50 redemption and the Maker to get the €20,000 Certification test charge paid by Government. These boxes then can be sold Retail for no more than €60 with Saorview Certification.
    Cost to Government = €100,000 + €50 per box cert redeemed, which could be 100,000 to 200,000 x 50 = €5M to €10M, thus certification is 5% to 2.5% of cost to Government of ASO subsidy for Welfare recipients and makes more than 5 models of Entry Level box available.

The approval and payment for Certification and the five models of boxes should go on Market now, but only exchange of "welfare tickets" (only one per address no matter how many people on Welfare at address) for those setboxes during Q3 2012, to minimise number resold.

• Advertisement

How long do you think it will be before I can buy a DTT box with a built in DVR and what price it might be. I hope it will have a 7/8 day EPG so it will record single or weekly programmes

Advertisement