Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bit.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Storminateacup, I just want to say how sad I am for you right now.
    Take care of yourself hun.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

seamus wrote: »
    thebullkf, I've removed your last post only because it will drag the topic up for debate If you want to start a more general discussion, feel free; I don't think this thread is the place for a comprehensive debate.

:confused:

why not?

we've all read her posts & are entitled to an opinion, my post took me a while to put together showing the discrepencies and/or vitriol in the OP's posts, including the ridiculous threats.
    i feel they warrant debate.
    obviously you don't-its a sad day when posts are censored for highlighting
    inaccuracies/blame laying yet you posted my 'nice' post to OP.

isnt that just pandering?

will you even post this post?

who knows.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Unfortunatly I'm arriving late to this thread. OP I am so very sorry your loss and I have recognised your thought process throughout this thread as very similar to that which I went through myself a few years ago on the loss of a pet. Desperation, the various initial stages of grief from sadness, through the what ifs to anger. In particular - the now what the f**k am I gonna do when the world pisses me off and I no longer have my last line of defence. Always dependable, never judgemental and always succeeding in lightening the load. For me it was a horse (which a lot of people find very odd).

Really I just want to reassure you that the grieving process you are going through is completely normal, I've been there and come through it and so will you;). In the next few weeks, I won't lie to you it will get a little worse before it gets better. People will look at you with bewilderment and ask if your ok when they're really wondering about your mental health because after all it's only an animal. Well sod them! Just ignore it and do what you have to do to come through it. Find your own ways to deal with it. I tried to remember happier times but for the first while all I was remembering were the events of 'that' day. For the next while I was remembering events that were contributing factors to the circumstances and situation that occured on 'that' day. It was a while before I got to the real memories, the one's that were the cause of the accident having such a devasting effect on me. Trust me when I say you will get to these memories in time, they are in there somewhere between all the black ones. When you reach them you will remember your dog with a smile on your face instead of tear-stains. I wish you luck on this journey, it's one nobody can take for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 GlitterFairy

Oh My Lord, this is the saddest thread. Op I'm sorry for the loss you've been through. My heart is breaking for you and I'm on the verge of tears here.

I think you've been really brave and have faced the worst scenario a dog owner can imagine. Whilst it's a horrible thing to have to do, I think that ultimately you have made the right decision.

Please believe that you did not let your dog down. His life may have been short, but it was one filled with love and friendship. And the situation that you describe of a dog suddenly/unexpectedly being around children that they aren't familiar with it is one that happens to many dog owners - even very responsible ones. Sadly there was something in your dogs history or personality that turned this into an awful situation. This does not make you a bad owner nor does it make your dog a bad dog.

To those having a dig at the op for her anger towards the child's family or her choice of words - jeez, lets remember that she's literally just lost her beloved pet! It's grief talking. Of course she's angry and upset.

Op, please please please look after yourself. It sounds like you've had the roughest year. Whilst I can't advise you on some of your sorrow, with regards to your doggy I think the departed animal thread as advised above is a great idea. Only other dog lovers can really understand the loss of a dog.

Sorry that this turned into a bit of a lengthy windy post, I just feel so heartbroken on behalf of the OP.

XX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

OP I am so sorry for the loss of "your boy", I cant even imagine having to make that decision. Just after reading through all of this thread sitting at work and am finding it hard to stay composed.

You made an extremely difficult decision, one I don't know I'd be strong enough to make. You have had a horrible year, one no-one should have to deal with and am so pi$$ed off some of the replies here.

My two dogs mean the world to me, one of them I wouldn't trust around children at all, the other I would more so but never completely (as in one I won't let children pet at all). They are Yorkies and can be skittish. If this ever was to happen it would kill me and I dont think I could be as rational about it as you have been.

The childrens parents are at fault as well, no question about it. I dont have kids but if I ever do I would never let them near a dog they didnt know so a lot of the blame is on them.

Can you post up a picture of your collie?

Again sorry for your loss. ((hugs))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thebullkf wrote: »
    why not?

we've all read her posts & are entitled to an opinion, my post took me a while to put together showing the discrepencies and/or vitriol in the OP's posts, including the ridiculous threats.
    inaccuracies/blame laying yet you posted my 'nice' post to OP.
    Just to address this, you didn't get censored for anything more than my desire to keep the peace. Your points may have been valid but you didn't see the 20 posts after yours, criticising your post and basically turning this whole thread into an unneccesary argument. The OP had already stated that she was done with the thread, so I don't see any need for it to continually appear on the forum, filled with posts blaming her and other people defending her.

It's called compassion. If you wish to have a general discussion about rights & responsibilities of pet owners, you are free to start a new thread about it.

As per the usual rules, I won't be discussing this moderation decision further on-thread. PM me if you feel the need to discuss it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

why not?

inaccuracies/blame laying
    yet you posted my 'nice' post to OP.

isnt that just pandering?

will you even post this post?

who knows.

thanks

Have you ever been through the grieving process at all because it appears not :confused: The OP's posts have been completely consistant with the thought process involved. Being rational and logical does not come into it at all! I don't understand why you would want to sit in front on your computer picking holes in the story of a grief-stricken faceless person on the internet. There will be inaccuracies as she tries to come to terms with the whole thing, it will be all she can think about for the next while. The story will change in her own mind as she goes through the stages of grief, as she remembers extra little details and tries to put all the hundreds of thoughts in her head into some sort of order and as certain parts of it get more focus. Grief is normal human process and this is the normal way it is dealt with. I find it very sad that you've had to have this explained to you tbh. It's extremely clear from the OP's posts that this is what is going on :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I too feel for the OP. I was bitten twice by dogs as a child & nearly lost an eye - I still have a tiny scar. Both dogs were not punished & I would not of wanted them to be & said so. It didn't alter my love of dogs one bit.

I also feel for the OP because of the, at times, appalling & ignorant comments that have been posted.

As many of us are dog owners I think that it would be a good idea to clarify the powers of Gardai & Courts in this matter so that we are informed for the future.

I suspect that the Gardai have no power to deem the dog as dangerous especially as the incident happened at the owners home so their is no "lack of control" element in law.

Dog wardens have no training or expertise regarding dog behaviour & are in no position to deem if a dog is dangerous or not.

Something triggered the response of the dog. Yes it should put us all on alert. My pup was playing with a neighbours kids on the beach until I noticed that they were pulling his ears & the parents weren't stopping them.

Dogs have evolved to brilliantly understand us. We need to evolve more to understand them. Their language is really simple. By learning it we make our relationship even closer & it's great fun to be able to talk back in their language.

Have you ever been through the grieving process at all because it appears not :confused: The OP's posts have been completely consistant with the thought process involved. Being rational and logical does not come into it at all! I don't understand why you would want to sit in front on your computer picking holes in the story of a grief-stricken faceless person on the internet. There will be inaccuracies as she tries to come to terms with the whole thing, it will be all she can think about for the next while. The story will change in her own mind as she goes through the stages of grief, as she remembers extra little details and tries to put all the hundreds of thoughts in her head into some sort of order and as certain parts of it get more focus. Grief is normal human process and this is the normal way it is dealt with. I find it very sad that you've had to have this explained to you tbh. It's extremely clear from the OP's posts that this is what is going on :mad:.

to answer your question-i have;numerous times
    but i haven't harboured thoughts of hospitalising the blameé (for want of a better word).

(Picking holes????.....the OP swore blind that it would be more than a hospital the victims mother would need!!!!..)

i haven't turned my grief into hatred for anyone else.and i haven't 'changed' my story numerous times so that it sits comfortably with my revenge fantasy's.

you feel sad for me? ... save it- feel sad for the child who's face needs grafts and will in all probability end up being afraid and deprived of the friendship of the majestic beast that is the dog-something the OP rates above all ironically enough.

i feel sad for everyone in this situation.

the child, the dog, the OP.
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I don't want to reopen any wounds but I have done some research & there is an important aspect of the law that could be relevant to all of us.

The Control of Dogs Act does have a very peculiar clause. It says that if a dog bites anyone, even in your own property, that it can be deemed a dangerous dog. This could apply to an intruder or the child that puts its hand through your gate. The final interpretation would be down to the District Judge hearing the case & I am seeking more clarification from previous case law.

The relevant section is here:

22.—(1) Where—

( a ) on a complaint being made to the District Court by any interested person that a dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control,
    ( b ) on the conviction of any person for an offence under section 9 (2) of this Act
    it appears to the Court that the dog is dangerous and not kept under proper control, the Court may, in addition to any other penalty which it may impose, order that the dog be kept under proper control or be destroyed.

(5) Where a dog is proved to have caused damage in an attack on any person, or to have injured livestock, it may be dealt with under this section as a dangerous dog which has not been kept under proper control.
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

This is an absolutely heart-breaking story, I have a 4month old collie and I don't know what I'd do if I had to make a decision like that.

You poor thing, take comfort in the knowledge that you gave your boy 4 wonderful years and who know's what kind of life he'd of had if you hadn't rescued him and given him these very happy and loving years

You are strong, fair and brave. I for one have great respect for someone who could go through all this and remain so composed when some idiot posters deliberately try to provoke or upset you after such a traumatic year.

This is after all an animal and pets forum, forget the negative posts about your personal life, that is NOBODYS business.

Anyone who truely loves their pet can sympathise with you and (try to)understand how you must be feeling.

My heart goes out to you and wish there was something I could do:(

However, I genuinely hope that in time you would consider having another dog, you sound far too responsible, kind and loving NOT to!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Discodog wrote: »
    The Control of Dogs Act does have a very peculiar clause. It says that if a dog bites anyone, even in your own property, that it can be deemed a dangerous dog. This could apply to an intruder or the child that puts its hand through your gate. The final interpretation would be down to the District Judge hearing the case

I'd say this would be the case, when I was young my Dad trained and used Dobermen and GSDs in security work. One of the dogs bit an intruder and dispite the fact that the dog was a)doing his licenced job, b) protecting my Dad and c) the guy was an intruder my Dad still had to fight in court not to have the dog PTS. Its one of the main reasons my Dad stopped that line of work, not matter what happens the dog is always in the wrong :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

lrushe wrote: »
    not matter what happens the dog is always in the wrong :mad:
    Even if it's defending itself.

The Control of Dogs Acts rank right up there with the most moronic pieces of legislation that we have. You'd know that those affected - pet owners - have never been consulted about the legislation that affects them. Instead they go talk to the likes of the hunters and greyhound board whose only interest is to get an exemption from whatever retarded legislation the government comes up with. They have no interest in creating good laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

There is where things get awkward. If a young child pulls an ear or if someone accidently taps them with their foot, the dog was defending itself is not a good excuse for an accident!

If someone boots the dog because they are a sick human being, I do see why a dog would try and defend itself!

I think it is wrong if someone intends on harming someone with the use of a weapon, but the dog bits them, they are put to sleep, irregardless that that person had a weapon even.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

......but i haven't harboured thoughts of hospitalising the blameé (for want of a better word).

(Picking holes????.....the OP swore blind that it would be more than a hospital the victims mother would need!!!!..)

i haven't turned my grief into hatred for anyone else.and i haven't 'changed' my story numerous times so that it sits comfortably with my revenge fantasy's.

I don't think the point was being made that the OP is being rational in her thinking, the point was that the OP is very clearly dealing with death in a very normal way. Rationalitay does not come into that. Reading through her posts you can see all of the earlier stages of grief - Shock, denial, pain, guilt, anger. All perfectly normal emotions to feel surrounding a death, animal or human. The OP is likely to go through a "holed up" stage where she wants to speak to nobody for a while too. Unfortunately sometimes when we're really upset, most of us (obviously not you of course) allow our emotions get the better of us. Of course everyone feels bad for the child. There is no doubt that if not dealt with properly the child could easily develop a lifelong fear of dogs. People are not disagreeing with you on that. We're simply pointing out that the op is going through a very tough time at the moment and needs some compassion in her grief, not someone trying to rationalise something which she is currently not able to rationalise.

I'm not questioning you on saying you've been through grief and I don't know the circumstances, but I can say with certainty that a shock death causes much more extreme emotions than a death of an old/sick animal or person. The feelings of anger and want for revenge can be very overwhelming.

I'm getting married soon, I don't know how he put up with me through the death of a friend. I was so angry, at the whole world. Even my OH who didn't even know the person. There was no rational reason to feel that way, I knew it at the time. But I couldn't help it. I was sort of using anger at the situation as a shield to protect me from everything else. If I was busy raging at the world, I wouldn't have time to be devestated. I was a nightmare to live with for a few weeks and I'm so grateful that he was there for me when I got over the anger and the felt heart breaking saddness people usually expect. :(

Please leave the OP to deal with her grief. You've made your point, it's not wrong. I just think at the moment it's more important to show some human kindness than it is to show how right or wrong you are.

You're setting yourself up against someone who is not able for you at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My heart aches for you OP; and am thankful for this forum that you can express your terrible grief in (relative) safety.

And as the owner of a rescued collie who came to us with some reputation of aggression, and who yesterday ( see my thread on "Old man attacks dog" proved once and for all that she has seemingly none in her, I am seeing how this could so easily happen. Reading discodog's post also...

In our case, collie was actually viciously attacked and no retaliation.

Of late we have been working intensively with her on the status issues between here and our other wee dog.

On this occasion she obeyed me immediately. And came in.

And yes always "exaggerated" care. The rescues are especially precious.

Graces7 wrote: »
    My heart aches for you OP; and am thankful for this forum that you can express your terrible grief in (relative) safety.

And as the owner of a rescued collie who came to us with some reputation of aggression, and who yesterday ( see my thread on "Old man attacks dog" proved once and for all that she has seemingly none in her, I am seeing how this could so easily happen. Reading discodog's post also...

In our case, collie was actually viciously attacked and no retaliation.

Of late we have been working intensively with her on the status issues between here and our other wee dog.

On this occasion she obeyed me immediately. And came in.

And yes always "exaggerated" care. The rescues are especially precious.

i couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I have a thing about rescue dogs personally, I just can't trust them. A couple of years ago my mum lost her old Shelttie and was heart broken. 18 months later my Sisters got her a rescue dog, I was against the idea from the outset but they went ahead and got one. Long story short - after about 2 weeks, the dog launched an unprovoked attack on my mother. My mother is a true dog lover and a gentle soul so she was shocked by what happened. I had to collect the dog and return it to the shelter, I was of course really angry with my sisters.

Now fairplay to people who take in rescue dogs, I have great admiration for ye. I just couldn't do it myself. I'm just wondering about the dog in question, something obviously triggered it, perhaps the dog was mistreated at the hands of kids in the past - it does happen.

Another theory I'm suggesting is the pack therory - this child was not part of the dogs family pack, so could have been perceived as a threat. If the child was nervous or reluctant, then this energy could have been easliy passed to the dog. So the dogs actions may have been defensive. Because you don't know the dogs full history, this makes it very difficult to understand the reason behind the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have a thing about rescue dogs personally, I just can't trust them. A couple of years ago my mum lost her old Shelttie and was heart broken. 18 months later my Sisters got her a rescue dog, I was against the idea from the outset but they went ahead and got one. Long story short - after about 2 weeks, the dog launched an unprovoked attack on my mother. My mother is a true dog lover and a gentle soul so she was shocked by what happened. I had to collect the dog and return it to the shelter, I was of course really angry with my sisters.

Now fairplay to people who take in rescue dogs, I have great admiration for ye. I just couldn't do it myself. I'm just wondering about the dog in question, something obviously triggered it, perhaps the dog was mistreated at the hands of kids in the past - it does happen.

Another theory I'm suggesting is the pack therory - this child was not part of the dogs family pack, so could have been perceived as a threat. If the child was nervous or reluctant, then this energy could have been easliy passed to the dog. So the dogs actions may have been defensive. Because you don't know the dogs full history, this makes it very difficult to understand the reason behind the attack.

This is a very sweeping statement and biassed indeed.

Please read the post properly also?

They had had the dog four years.

We have two rescue dogs; one as a wee puppy and the other a badly abused collie we found tied up 24/7.

Yes we have had problems with her; but never any aggression in real terms.

A good rescue organisation knows each dog. Their history and their nature.

When we were first in Ireland, we asked re adopting an Irish wolfhound on one rescue site. They told us that there was a problem with this dog; sudden unprovoked fatal attacks on smaller animals. As we are also breeders etc, we advised that this was an incurable trait in her brain and that the kindest thing was to put her down; she had just killed two cats at the rescue centre.

if you look at a site like Leitrim Animal Rescue? The advice given there?

But that is an exceptional case. Many here get huge joy from rescue dogs as we do ourselves. Each is different

Please don;t write off every dog because it has been dumped.. things can go wrong with any dog. And any dog can be an utter delight; many rescues more so because they have known such pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

Havent time to read all 10 pages but just wanted to add that we had a dog that we got when I was 17 and the youngest in the house so she was never brought up around kids. Whenever my cousin would visit with his small kids the dog would cowl under the chair and growl if one of them came near her. But she was the most lovable dog around adults. When I used to bring her to the vet the amount of kids in the waiting room that would just lunge at her to pet her, with the parents just sitting there smiling and when I would say "please dont come near her she's not used to kids" well the looks I would get from the parents :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: There was absolutly no way we would have let the kids near the dog as yes she more than likely would have snapped at them. I dont think any dog should be written off just coz they dont like kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

Ok just got through the 10 pages! Very sorry to hear you felt you had to put your dog down - personally I would have done everything in my power to prevent it and no one can say anything to make me feel any different.

Just wanted to add also I dont agree with the posters who said Collie's are not suitable around kids - we always had collie's as pets and they were the most loving and tolerant of us all pulling out of them. Our very first one, who was about 6 years old when I was born (youngest of 7 kids) would have given her life for us, she was so protective of us. Actually we had one or 2 terriers who often gave us the odd nip or growled at us. Thankfully my parents loved and understood dogs and if the dog did growl or snap it was always our fault to be annoying the dog etc.

My husband put his head into his uncle dogs food bowl while the dog was eating out of it when he was a toddler and the dog turned around and got his head in his mouth - top teeth at the top of his forehead and bottom teeth under his chin! Was the dog pts? NO!! It was not the dogs fault he was only defending his food. Thankfully it didnt affect his love for dogs! But im sure there would be some who would have brought the dog straight to the vet to be put down (or back then out the back with the gun :() The dog never bit again - why? Coz no child was let near the dog when it was eating - simples ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I get your point to be honest. With a rescue it has a past and some of them you really need to know what you are doing with them (not all but some definately!). I have had 2 GSD's that not everyone would take on. Both terrifed from past experiences and the one we have right now if you scare him he will take the hand off you fairly fast. We found this out fairly early when he grabbed me but have him several years now and just adapted to him. He does what he is told, in fact he is very very obedient, but we are careful not to stand on his very bushy tail or make loud noises behind him for example.
    I dont know but my view on these rescues is if they are horses, cats, dogs, children it does not matter they have all had a past and our pasts shape us, so it is sometimes a bit more work to incorporate them into their new homes. It is worth it in the end though to try to work through any issues and give a chance.

Whispered wrote: »
    I don't think the point was being made that the OP is being rational in her thinking, the point was that the OP is very clearly dealing with death in a very normal way. Rationalitay does not come into that. Reading through her posts you can see all of the earlier stages of grief - Shock, denial, pain, guilt, anger. All perfectly normal emotions to feel surrounding a death, animal or human. The OP is likely to go through a "holed up" stage where she wants to speak to nobody for a while too. Unfortunately sometimes when we're really upset, most of us (obviously not you of course) allow our emotions get the better of us. Of course everyone feels bad for the child. There is no doubt that if not dealt with properly the child could easily develop a lifelong fear of dogs. People are not disagreeing with you on that. We're simply pointing out that the op is going through a very tough time at the moment and needs some compassion in her grief, not someone trying to rationalise something which she is currently not able to rationalise.

I'm not questioning you on saying you've been through grief and I don't know the circumstances, but I can say with certainty that a shock death causes much more extreme emotions than a death of an old/sick animal or person. The feelings of anger and want for revenge can be very overwhelming.

I'm getting married soon, I don't know how he put up with me through the death of a friend. I was so angry, at the whole world. Even my OH who didn't even know the person. There was no rational reason to feel that way, I knew it at the time. But I couldn't help it. I was sort of using anger at the situation as a shield to protect me from everything else. If I was busy raging at the world, I wouldn't have time to be devestated. I was a nightmare to live with for a few weeks and I'm so grateful that he was there for me when I got over the anger and the felt heart breaking saddness people usually expect. :(

Please leave the OP to deal with her grief. You've made your point, it's not wrong. I just think at the moment it's more important to show some human kindness than it is to show how right or wrong you are.

You're setting yourself up against someone who is not able for you at the moment.

some excellent points there whispered,but you've only quoted half my original post.

why didn'tyou quote the whole thing to give it some perspective nay balance:confused:

as i stressed already,this ain't point scoring,i feel for everybody in this situation.

But the majority of my sympathy is with the little girl who was savaged.

below is my entire post:
    to answer your question-i have;numerous times
    but i haven't harboured thoughts of hospitalising the blameé (for want of a better word).

you feel sad for me? ... save it- feel sad for the child who's face needs grafts and will in all probability end up being afraid and deprived of the friendship of the majestic beast that is the dog-something the OP rates above all ironically enough.

i feel sad for everyone in this situation.

the child, the dog, the OP.
    mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

i think my post is more balanced when read as it was written- with compassion-but mainly for the child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

The child that was "savaged" of course is the victim of the situation. Nobody is questioning that. However, the childs parents, who were both present, albeit sitting in their car while 2 small children ran unsupervised around a farmyard, I don't - genuinely can't see, why they are blameless.

That poor child was injured, because
    a - the dog was allowed out of the house.
    b - because her parents allowed two children out of the car, while they both sat in the car, not watching them, because the children were behind the car.

There is an occupiers liability notice up on our farm. I accept complete responsibility for the dog biting the child. I do not accept liabilty for the child being injured. Her parents are responsible for her general wellbeing and safety, not me.

The child that was "savaged" of course is the victim of the situation

why the quote marks:confused:
    you said yourself it was a savage attack.
    .... It wasn't just a bad bite - it was a savage unprovoked out of character attack.......

. Nobody is questioning that. However, the childs parents, who were both present, albeit sitting in their car while 2 small children ran unsupervised around a farmyard, I don't - genuinely can't see, why they are blameless.

i never said they were blameless?

That poor child was injured, because

a - the dog was allowed out of the house.
    b - because her parents allowed two children out of the car, while they both sat in the car, not watching them, because the children were behind the car.

in the eyes of the law

because of your dog, on your property.

There is an occupiers liability notice up on our farm. I accept complete responsibility for the dog biting the child. I do not accept liabilty for the child being injured.
    how do those two statements add up :confused:

has a solicitor told you that?.... i think you are mistaken here.

Her parents are responsible for her general wellbeing and safety, not me.

wow.!

its your fault. its your responsibility.
    AFAIK parentsare responsible for their childs safety 'as far as is reasonably practical'
    once on private property its the land owners responsibility.
    i mean even if the child had kicked your dog to aggravate him...the dog is still @ fault. hence you are still @ fault.
    Again storm, i 'm not having a pop at you- i'd go banana's if it were me in either situation.

Hope all is well with you anyway:)
    Have you considered getting another dog?

Advertisement