Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bit.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I can only agree with the previous poster about how sad I am for you. I hope in time you get a new friend to fill the gap under your arm and I hope you'll be ok. Cry as much as you want to. Go out to a quiet field and scream your head off if you want to. And don't be afraid to feel what you're feeling cos it's ok you're grieving for your boy. But don't be hard on yourself you gave him a wonderful few years filled with love, kisses and happiness. He's going to be belting across rainbow bridge when he sees you. Take care of yourself xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Devastatingly sad story.

Take care of yourself OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'm bawling. I am so so so sorry for your loss Storminateacup. You clearly relied so much on that little boy and I can totally understand that, my dog is my world and I love and trust her more than I do most people.

Please stay strong, and look after yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

This is absolutely breaking my heart reading this. Storminateacup, I don't even know what to say, I have a rescue dog who I adore and worship and I cannot even think about being in your situation. My last dog died very suddenly from an illness and I literally felt like my heart was broken. Please try not to beat yourself up about the situation and 'what ifs', look after yourself please, I truly believe you gave that dog a better life and he loved you unconditionally. Remember the happy times you had together. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Sorry to put out the unpopular point of view but why is there almost no sympathy being expressed for the little girl who had her face mauled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Peace wrote: »
    Sorry to put out the unpopular point of view but why is there almost no sympathy being expressed for the little girl who had her face mauled?

I think the sympathy for the little girl who's face was bitten (not mauled) goes without saying, nobody would deny her sympathy, however the OP's dog is dead and I think that this is what people are sympathising with.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I let him down
    Bullsh|t. You didn't just let him up: you did your best to fight his corner.

This thread makes me sad :(

/me goes to lol @ funny pictures on http://dogs.icanhascheezburger.com to cheer myself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

lrushe wrote: »
    I think the sympathy for the little girl who's face was bitten (not mauled) goes without saying, nobody would deny her sympathy, however the OP's dog is dead and I think that this is what people are sympathising with.

Well personally i don't think it should go without saying. I'm not saying i don't sympathise with the OP i'm just pointing out the imbalance thats appearing on the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I feel very bad for the child. As I said before, she is little more than a baby and whether or not she's destroyed or not, I feel bad for her.

But her mother? Her mother can eat sh*t. It's a little late to be complaining now that the harm is done. Negligent piece of crap. Couldn't take care of her kitten and clearly couldn't take care of the children.

As I said before, had - god forbid - a horse gotten out (and they have before), her face would be the least of her worries.

Those children had never met our dog before, and she let's them run unsupervised, under no control? Around a farm? While she sat smoking in the car?

ANYTHING could have happened. She could have easily tripped and fell, and split her face/head open.

No responsible parent would allow their children run around a strange place much less a strange farm, like that.

I kno ultimately I was responsible for the dog and I've accepted that responsibility, but if her, or anybody else, thinks I'm gonna sit back and take the entire blame, they can f*ck off.

I'll tell you one thing, the next time she appears around my house - be it looking for a site to build a house, trick or treating, dumping more unwanted pets or any other trivial bull****, I guarantee you, swearing on my life, the child won't be the only person needing plastic surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I feel very bad for the child. As I said before, she is little more than a baby and whether or not she's destroyed or not, I feel bad for her.

But her mother? Her mother can eat sh*t. It's a little late to be complaining now that the harm is done. Negligent piece of crap. Couldn't take care of her kitten and clearly couldn't take care of the children.

As I said before, had - god forbid - a horse gotten out (and they have before), her face would be the least of her worries.

Those children had never met our dog before, and she let's them run unsupervised, under no control? Around a farm? While she sat smoking in the car?

ANYTHING could have happened. She could have easily tripped and fell, and split her face/head open.

No responsible parent would allow their children run around a strange place much less a strange farm, like that.

I kno ultimately I was responsible for the dog and I've accepted that responsibility, but if her, or anybody else, thinks I'm gonna sit back and take the entire blame, they can f*ck off.

I'll tell you one thing, the next time she appears around my house - be it looking for a site to build a house, trick or treating, dumping more unwanted pets or any other trivial bull****, I guarantee you, swearing on my life, the child won't be the only person needing plastic surgery.

I understand that you're angry and this opinion isn't going to be popular but with every post the child becomes more reckless.

In one of your first posts you said that the child was allowed to get out of the car to pet the dog, then in another post you go on to say that the children were running amok, then that they were running around unsupervised, then you go on to say that this all takes place on a farm and are now giving the impression that the children are running wild all over the farm.

What did happen exactly? Because my initial impression was that a family pulled up at your door, you were on your way out, they gave you a kitten, your dog got out of the house, it was sitting beside your father (I assume not on a lead), the child was petting it and it attacked her. Obviously I don't know anything about the layout of your house/farm but I was getting the impression that this all took place outside the front of your house. And you keep going on about the lack of supervision. If a child is at home and running around the house while it's parents are in the kitchen do you consider it to be unsupervised or do you think parents should stay within 2 feet of their children at all times?

While some of the blame may be assigned to these people, I would imagine they were under the impression that it was safe for their children to get out of their car. Children can fall over and hurt themselves anywhere, not just outside your house. But now you think they can't take care of their children. Your dog bit their child, not the other way around. Start accepting that fact.

The rest of your rant sounds like there's a lot more going on between your two families than just this incident.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I understand that you're angry and this opinion isn't going to be popular but with every post the child becomes more reckless.

In one of your first posts you said that the child was allowed to get out of the car to pet the dog, then in another post you go on to say that the children were running amok, then that they were running around unsupervised, then you go on to say that this all takes place on a farm and are now giving the impression that the children are running wild all over the farm.

What did happen exactly? Because my initial impression was that a family pulled up at your door, you were on your way out, they gave you a kitten, your dog got out of the house, it was sitting beside your father (I assume not on a lead), the child was petting it and it attacked her. Obviously I don't know anything about the layout of your house/farm but I was getting the impression that this all took place outside the front of your house. And you keep going on about the lack of supervision. If a child is at home and running around the house while it's parents are in the kitchen do you consider it to be unsupervised or do you think parents should stay within 2 feet of their children at all times?

While some of the blame may be assigned to these people, I would imagine they were under the impression that it was safe for their children to get out of their car. Children can fall over and hurt themselves anywhere, not just outside your house. But now you think they can't take care of their children. Your dog bit their child, not the other way around. Start accepting that fact.

The rest of your rant sounds like there's a lot more going on between your two families than just this incident.

This is a really mean spirited response. I think this girl has fully accepted what has happened, she put her dog to sleep as a consequence, YESTERDAY.
    Do you not allow someone who is clearly devastated an emotionally charged response or two? :mad:

And to the person asking about empathy for the child, OF COURSE people have sympathy for the child but open your eyes, this is an animals &pets forum not a parenting one and the OP came on here to look for advice and direction in what was an extremely difficult situation for her. I for one think she has handled this excellently.
    Cut the girl some slack for Christsake.

Ok rainbow, as it seems you have difficulty grasping my posts.

Monday, the childs mother came down to my home and asked my dad if I was home. I was in bed, with a hangover as Monday was my birthday and I'd been out the previous night.
    She asked me to take the kitten as she didn't want to get it put to sleep. I'm a dog lover and don't care much for cats but I'd never treat any animal bad ect so I took the cat. She was delighted and asked if we would take it that evening and I said we were going to a funeral for 7. She asked who died and remarked on how shed need to send a masscard.

Shortly before 7 -- we were running late, her and her husband drove down the drive and onto the yard (we have stables as we keep horses and this is the yard they drove onto. There was a gate seperating the stables from where she was but it is still part of the yard and not private house. Dad tends to park there as it's easier to get in and out without having me and my brother move our cars.

There is a hedge seperating yard from house but other than that they're pretty much next to each other.

Anyhow, we were getting into the car to go when they came in. I jumped outta the car to grab the cat as we were late. The kids never even glanced at the kitten but instead started shouting "can we get out". The mother got out with me to open the door, and carry the bag of toys ect.

When she opened the door the dog ran out, and ran over to my dad. The kids were out of the car at this stage and were belting around.
    She apologised for allowing the dog out, I said it's grand I'll grab him when I put the kitten in.

Brough h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

reeta wrote: »
    What a ridiculous comment, obviously you have never owned a dog...

I own two dogs, both happy healthy animals. While I love them and they are mans best friend, I would have no hesitation in getting rid of either of them should they display aggression towards a child. In fact one is a collie cross and after reading this thread I'm certainly a lot more wary of letting children near her. Its good that we live in an isolated location and have a grown up family where youngsters rarely visit.

@sittingpretty

I don't think rainbowtrouts response is mean spirited but reflecting the reality that the OPs story is continuing to change, each time shifting more and more of the blame for this incident onto the parents of the child and the child itself. In addition she is downplaying the trauma to the child and questioning the truth of the information regarding the childs injuries as give by the mother. (eg. a small plaster, child running about, etc.). The anger directed towards the mother is unfair - even if it is just venting.

It is also clear that there are other issues at play here and it is far from straightforward. The OP talks of a still born child, a break up in a relationship and an alcohol problem which indicates to me that there is a far larger problem manifesting itself. Indeed this thread has turned so dark that PI might be a more appropriate place for it now. If the thread were there it wouldn't be a new dog I would be telling the OP to get but to talk to someone about how she is feeling.

Take care OP :)

Brought the kitten in, got it food and drink and litter tray and when I came back out dad informed me dog had bitten the child.

The dog went to sit next to dad. The kids approached the dog, and the boy petted it. The little girl seemed scared but stood watching, hands away from the dog.

The parents both sat in the car with the children playing behind the car. My dad turned to say something to childs father and the dog attacked.

I honestly cannot put this in any plainer language for you.
    - the dog attacked the child.
    - the dog had no history of being grumpy never mind dangerous.
    - th child did not do anything to the dog.
    - th children were unsupervised.
    - the parents sat in the car not even looking in childs direction.
    - sadly the child was hurt.

You bring up a point, the parents assumed it was safe. I assumed my dog wasn't dangerous.
    They assumed it was fine to allow their children run around, and approach a strange dog.
    They didn't say "don't do it", "get into the car" nor did they - either of them- get out of the car.

You ask would I think they were careless allowing children run around a kitchen? Truth be told I couldn't care whether or not they do, but I would assume they would have enough manners on their brats to not have them run around other
    peoples private property. What if a horse had gotten out?

Would they take them to a park, allow them run around, around dogs they hadn't met before, while they read a book or whatever??

For the last time, I took responsibilty for my animal. He's dead.
    It's high time they accepted their share of it also.

They are the parents and a parents primary responsibility is the welfare of the child.
    If dog owners are expected to exercise control over their animals, parents are indeed under the same due care towards their children.

And in this case, they didn't.

I am sorry and feel awful the child is injuried, I don't obviously blame the child, but I do hold them parctially responsible.

There is a sign up too stating you are now entering a farm, basically do so at your own risk.
    It's no grand shock it's not a playground tbh.

And there were never issues there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

how u feeling today

In addition she is downplaying the trauma to the child and questioning the truth of the information regarding the childs injuries as give by the mother.

It is also clear that there are other issues at play here and it is far from straightforward. The OP talks of a still born child, a break up in a relationship and an alcohol problem which indicates to me that there is a far larger problem manifesting itself. Indeed this thread has turned so dark that PI might be a more appropriate place for it now. If the thread were there it wouldn't be a new dog I would be telling the OP to get but to talk to someone about how she is feeling.

Take care OP :)
    excuse me? Who are you exactly? Dr Phil??
    Alcohol problem?? I drank a bit after my child was born. Where did I ever mention I had an alcohol problem? What has my daughter got to do with anything in your post exactly? I'm mentally unstable??

The only reason I even mentioned my pregnancy was becaus I was upset after another poster basically told me I had no idea what it felt like to love a child. That I'd understand when I had a child myself. Why exactly are you bringing my relationship into it? What has he got to do with the situation? Again, I mentioned I talked to an animal as I didn't have anybody else to talk to. My previous relationships have nothing to do with this situation, nor does my baby daughter. Or, are you trying to imply I was also a negligent mother with a drink problem hence why my child didn't make it? What exactly are you saying?

I was upset. That dog WAS my best friend. And yes I felt more love for the dog obviously than I did for a child I didn't know.
    Deep down I knew he'd have to go but I would have tried anything to keep him. I don't think that makes me somebody that needs to post in personal issues, how dare you.

He's gone. He's dead. Hard as it was, he was put to sleep because we weren't able to trust him anymore and he would have had no kind of life had he lived.

I'm furious with her, the mother, not the child. I'm furious with myself. I've accepted my responsibility. She was informed the dog was being put to sleep, and had the cheek to be concerned that I was driving. I'm furious she had the gardai call into the vet to SEE the dead body. I'd have understood it had we refused to do it or put it off, but whatever.

There was never issues there before but there is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭dezzyd

I honestly feel dreadful. I've been cryin non stop since monday (it was my 22nd birthday. me and him shared a birthday cake, his name was on it and everything :( )
    I look ugly as sin, I'm exausted but I cant sleep, I haven't been able to eat, I feel sick. And Im trying to keep on top of my insulin injections, but without the food, theyre not making me feel any better, and i know i need to eat but i cant.
    My face is so swollen and red and vile. I genuinely feel as if I've lost a part of me today, and I honestly don't know how much more I can take. Everything is flooding back, and this time - I have nobody.

I know I'll be ok, I always pick myself up. But I thought animals were different. I find it so hard to trust people, even my friends. I cant. They always hurt me, die, leave, and I'm really not strong enough.
    I've tried so hard to protect myself from people, and threw myself into loving my dog and.. hes gone now.
    everybody goes. everything goes.

i started a new college course today - something iv always wanted to do, and my hearts just not in it anymore. i want to crawl into bed with his coat and never ever get up again.

this evening i rushed home and stopped off at the shop to buy him sliced ham and chocolate, but i was too late. dad was already gone with him.
    they buried him without me, without his blanky, without his bed.

my brother wrapped him up in my pink bathrobe that he loved, so i guess at least he has that.

i know i need to stop being angry with those people, but right this second, i cant. i cant not hate them a little. i feel so bad for the child, i hope with all my heart she is alright, but i cant help but feel.. what if they hadnt taken a f*cking kitten they didn't want, what if they didnt ask me to take it, why didnt i say no? why couldnt they have waited until the next morning before bringing it down?

theres so much i wish i could change.

OP, how are you doing hon? I have just read this thread from start to finish and am just so sad for you. I admire the way you spoke of your dog, it was very clear that you loved and cared for it an awfull lot. Take pride in the fact that it had those years with you. A lot of animals don't have loving and caring homes unfortunately. But yours did, very much so. Try to take comfort in that he had four enjoyable years with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

op I dont think posting on here is helping you any more you seem to be getting more and more upset each time you post. I presume that when you are in a calmer frame of mind you would never dream of referring to a very small child as a brat. I have noticed that a lot of your anger is directed at the mother more than the father please try and calm down because you will do yourself no favours if you continue to work yourself up and upon meeting her vent your (irrational) anger.
    You have had alot to deal with in the last year and I my heart really goes out to you I would not like to think that you may end up making things even worse for yourself. To be honest the circumstances you described around them pulling up to your farm do not sound as outrageous as you appear to see them to be. You didnt see the dog to be a danger so why would they presume him to be either. Take time to come to term to terms with what has happened and try to see it for what it was an extremly unfortunate tragic event. Best wishes op

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I would have no hesitation in getting rid of either of them

And I think this is where the opinions of people on A&P differ from others, most people here don't see their animals as something to 'get rid of' when they are less than perfect, most people here couldn't even imagine 'getting rid' of their animal full stop and then there are others who view an animals life to be of less value or have less meaning and are so flippant about 'getting rid' of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I think the OP may be getting upset because people are making all sorts of assumptions and accusations.

I'm sorry for your loss OP, take time to mourn and remember that nobody here but you knows what happened and so don't listen to any of their judgements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

yeah dont think being on here with some of the people that have responded is helping you much op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Alcohol problem?? I drank a bit after my child was born. Where did I ever mention I had an alcohol problem? What has my daughter got to do with anything in your post exactly? I'm mentally unstable??

The only reason I even mentioned my pregnancy was becaus I was upset after another poster basically told me I had no idea what it felt like to love a child. That I'd understand when I had a child myself. Why exactly are you bringing my relationship into it? What has he got to do with the situation? Again, I mentioned I talked to an animal as I didn't have anybody else to talk to. My previous relationships have nothing to do with this situation, nor does my baby daughter. Or, are you trying to imply I was also a negligent mother with a drink problem hence why my child didn't make it? What exactly are you saying?

I was upset. That dog WAS my best friend. And yes I felt more love for the dog obviously than I did for a child I didn't know.
    Deep down I knew he'd have to go but I would have tried anything to keep him. I don't think that makes me somebody that needs to post in personal issues, how dare you.

He's gone. He's dead. Hard as it was, he was put to sleep because we weren't able to trust him anymore and he would have had no kind of life had he lived.

I'm furious with her, the mother, not the child. I'm furious with myself. I've accepted my responsibility. She was informed the dog was being put to sleep, and had the cheek to be concerned that I was driving. I'm furious she had the gardai call into the vet to SEE the dead body. I'd have understood it had we refused to do it or put it off, but whatever.

There was never issues there before but there is now.

You've gone and misinterpreted everything I've said, and was not implying anything of the sort being a negligent mother or otherwise. I'm not going to post in this thread further because I'm not going to have my words twisted by someone who is clearly becoming increasingly upset. All I said was talk to someone, I only mentioned those other issues because you introduced them.

In any case I apologise and wish you all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

**Vai** wrote: »
    May be nothing to do with it but this reminds me of an article I read about kids misunderstanding dogs facial expressions, like a snarl being mistaken for a smile. Kids need to be thought as well as dogs. Having said that its strange the dog would just turn like that.

What u said about the dog jumping on u when u get home rings alarms bells for me. Thats not a sign of love, its a sign of dominance. Thats one of your classic early warning signs that your dog needs to learn his place in your pack.

:eek::eek::eek:......methinks my two need classes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

This is a really mean spirited response. I think this girl has fully accepted what has happened, she put her dog to sleep as a consequence, YESTERDAY.
    Do you not allow someone who is clearly devastated an emotionally charged response or two? :mad:

It wasn't intended as such. I just felt that the story kept changing and more of the blame was being shifted to the parents each time. I have two dogs myself, I would not want to be in that situation.

I don't think rainbowtrouts response is mean spirited but reflecting the reality that the OPs story is continuing to change, each time shifting more and more of the blame for this incident onto the parents of the child and the child itself. In addition she is downplaying the trauma to the child and questioning the truth of the information regarding the childs injuries as give by the mother. (eg. a small plaster, child running about, etc.). The anger directed towards the mother is unfair - even if it is just venting.

It is also clear that there are other issues at play here and it is far from straightforward.

This is pretty much what I meant.

I don't think oppenheimer1 meant anything specific, more what you have posted yourself. I would be more worried that you would be relying on your dog because you felt that you had no one else to talk to rather than any specific problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP - I feel for you. I admire the way you speak of your dog and the way you took responsibility. I think that it's important that people actually understand that - you took responsibility and did one of the hardest things an animal lover can do. For people to expect you to be calm and not annoyed is a bit silly.

People are expressing sympathy here for the OP and her loss because this is a forum for pet lovers, speaking to a pet lover, who just lost her pet. Whatever the circumstances of that loss. Nobody is saying the child is unimportant at all and to suggest so seems to be just trying to cause trouble.

Rainbowtrout - I also talk to my dog if I am upset about things, or even if I'm not upset about things! It's like writing things down to get your head straight. Not that you're looking for an answer or anything, but it helps to say things out loud. We're here together all day and interact constantly. Of course we "converse" (for want of a better word) I think you'll find most pet owners who have their pet indoors do too.

I think people should have respect for what the OP is going through, and leave it at that for now. I do think responsibility and blame in an attack situation would be a very interesting topic, but I don't know if this thread is the right place?

OP I also just wanted to say that you 100% did not let your dog down. You did your best for him.

Please stop responding to the negative posts and just take the love and support which people are expressing in this thread. xx

I agree it's a tragic accident, astra.
    I even agree I may be being irrational. I'm angry.
    But seriously, I thought my dog was safe. I trusted him. However unfortunately I'm not a dog whisperer.

I love dogs. All dogs. But I honestly wouldn't trust my neices around another dog, a dog neither they or i knew. Even if the dog owner swore he was quiet. I wouldn't trust them not to annoy the dog. I wouldn't trust a dog I didn't know with them.

I think you guys are right. There's no point to this thread anymore as the dog is no longer alive. Thanks for your replies and suggestions, I'm very grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I hardly think that lecturing the OP is necessary nor appropriate.

She's already paid what most of us would consider the ultimate price and at no point has she tried to claim that it was unnecessary or that no mistakes were made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

seamus wrote: »

She's already paid what most of us would consider the ultimate price and at no point has she tried to claim that it was unnecessary or that no mistakes were made.

fair point.

i'd be devestated meself, :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

seamus wrote: »

i agree can we not all just help the op mourn instead of constanly bringing back up her story she has been through alot this week !

Storminateacup feel better! xXx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

thebullkf, I've removed your last post only because it will continue to draw irate responses and drag the topic up for debate. If you want to start a more general discussion, feel free; I don't think this thread is the place for a comprehensive debate.

Advertisement