Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog bit.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 alanvor

He's gone

I am so sorry, I am apalled!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

He's gone

And (silly question).. How are you?.

You can talk straight here, people will understand your pain and suffering and not think less of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

He's gone
    :( Choked up here. Sorry OP.Theres a Departed Pets thread above if you want to post a pic and a little bit about him. Comforts some people when theyve lost their friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Silas45

You have my deepest sympathies OP. Its a horrible horrible horrible situation to be in.

Rest in peace fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

(((storminateacup)))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I understand what you are saying but I find that post extremely condesending.

To assume I don't know how to feel real love is extremely upsetting and offensive.

OP I am genuinely sorry if my post offended you, I genuinely did not mean for it to come across that way. I cannot say I know the pain you experience in recent months, but I do know the feeling of having a canine friend there to reveal everything to. They are non judgemental and listen endlessly.

I never assumed you did not know real love and nowhere in my post did I suggest such a thing. However I am sorry you felt it was aimed that way. I know people feel more love for animals than they do for people and the way the world is gone these days I would not blame them, My dogs were better company growing up than most girls in my class!!

What I'm questioning is, what sort of parent would allow a 4 year old to run unsupervised around a farm?? If god forbid another animal had escaped or broken out and had injured her, would that be our fault too??

If the childs parent was the one posting about their child being hurt I would be the first to ridicule them for thinking sitting in their car while allowing children running around is irresponsible parenting, yes. If my son was on someones farm, as I know he will someday (dad is a vet student, so I assume my son will end up on a call with him) I would assume his father would respect it is another persons land and that he must respect all animals on it!
    They're just kids are they?? Well he's just a dumb animal. He doesn't understand they weren't a threat. It's not like savaging children is how he passes his free time. For reasons unknown he obviously felt in danger.

I understand that he's now a dangerous dog, thus unsafe to keep, and however much it breaks my heart, I know it's really the only safest option. It's not a decision I made lightly, it's not a decison I agree with, but the right thing to do is usually the hardest.

He'll always be my boy. I mean that. I'd trust that dog with my life but I can't risk somebody elses.

Collies are anything but dumb, do they understand human laws no, but he was not a dumb animal. Sadly they are not child friendly and I agree not keeping an eye on your children near a collie on a farm is a stupid theing for the parents! There was a thread on here the other week about a collie attacking a grandchild of its owner. As discussed there, Collies and young children are a no no.

I do know the "He'll always be my boy" thing, my Yorkie was my princess. She slept on my bed, went were ever I went and that included the shower, she would guard the bathroom from the inside while I showered, and would howl like a mini wolf til I let her in, I haven't seen her in years and I cry still for her!
    The OP is in enough emotional pain, and that aside, do you really think thats appropriate language for an animal forum?.

I'm hardly the shrinking violet, but winched when I read that.
    alanvor wrote: »
    I totally agree with you, how callous people can be! Wow, the child is still alive, why kill the dog, and in the process tear storminateacup's life apart.

Sadly alanvor the child has been badly scarred, that is why the parents and all legal bodies would demand such an act.

I am sorry if my comment offended or hurt anyone, I was thinking of my son and if anything happened to him. I know it was a harsh comment and for that I sincerely apologise. I love my son more than my life and there is nothing I wouldn't do to protect him! But yes such words were insensitive, I could have said what I needed to say without such harsh words! I once again apologise!
    He's gone
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Theres a Departed Pets thread above if you want to post a pic and a little bit about him. Comforts some people when theyve lost their friend.

I know your heartache OP and for that I feel for you. As anniehoo said, there is a departed pets forum:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

He's gone

God love you. Don't know if you've heard the legend of Rainbow Bridge? It helps me to think my dogs are waiting for me.

Here it is -
    Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of the special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigour, those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing - they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His or her eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he or she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, legs going faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous renunion never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

God love you. Don't know if you've heard the legend of Rainbow Bridge? It helps me to think my dogs are waiting for me.

Here it is -
    Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of the special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigour, those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing - they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His or her eyes are intent; the eager body quivers. Suddenly he or she begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, legs going faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous renunion never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart
    Thats made me cry so bad. What a sweet legend. But if its true, you can be guaranteed he won't be waiting on me. He trusted me and I let him down.
    He was such a great dog, such a great friend and I clearly didn't deserve him. I hope that if there is somewhere like a dog heaven, that he finds somebody wonderful to take care of him and love him. Somebody who he can really trust and depend on.

And when I called him dumb I certainly didn't mean stupid. I meant he couldn't talk. He couldn't tell us he was frightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

He had 4 lovely years with you after you rescued him. He will be grateful for that. He came to you when you, when you needed him. He will always be alive in you heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Op i'm so sad reading this, such a horrible thing to happen to all involved. Please dont blame yourself and to echo what others have said - it's unfortunately a reminder that a dogs animal instinct can have horrible consequences.
    but I am glad that he had you to look after him for his life time after you rescued him and noone could have loved him more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

Thats made me cry so bad. What a sweet legend. But if its true, you can be guaranteed he won't be waiting on me. He trusted me and I let him down.
    He was such a great dog, such a great friend and I clearly didn't deserve him. I hope that if there is somewhere like a dog heaven, that he finds somebody wonderful to take care of him and love him. Somebody who he can really trust and depend on.

And when I called him dumb I certainly didn't mean stupid. I meant he couldn't talk. He couldn't tell us he was frightened.

you didnt let him down and he will always love you for the time he had with you! you rescued him and gave him 4 extra years of life that maybe if you hadnt of rescued him he might not have gotten!! it wasnt your fault and it wasnt his fault and sometimes these things happen and knowone can explain! just remember all the good times! i had a very simalar situation when i was younger with are family dog!

Feel better and RIP to your little dog! xXxXx

And (silly question).. How are you?.

You can talk straight here, people will understand your pain and suffering and not think less of you.

I honestly feel dreadful. I've been cryin non stop since monday (it was my 22nd birthday. me and him shared a birthday cake, his name was on it and everything :( )
    I look ugly as sin, I'm exausted but I cant sleep, I haven't been able to eat, I feel sick. And Im trying to keep on top of my insulin injections, but without the food, theyre not making me feel any better, and i know i need to eat but i cant.
    My face is so swollen and red and vile. I genuinely feel as if I've lost a part of me today, and I honestly don't know how much more I can take. Everything is flooding back, and this time - I have nobody.

I know I'll be ok, I always pick myself up. But I thought animals were different. I find it so hard to trust people, even my friends. I cant. They always hurt me, die, leave, and I'm really not strong enough.
    I've tried so hard to protect myself from people, and threw myself into loving my dog and.. hes gone now.
    everybody goes. everything goes.

i started a new college course today - something iv always wanted to do, and my hearts just not in it anymore. i want to crawl into bed with his coat and never ever get up again.

this evening i rushed home and stopped off at the shop to buy him sliced ham and chocolate, but i was too late. dad was already gone with him.
    they buried him without me, without his blanky, without his bed.

my brother wrapped him up in my pink bathrobe that he loved, so i guess at least he has that.

i know i need to stop being angry with those people, but right this second, i cant. i cant not hate them a little. i feel so bad for the child, i hope with all my heart she is alright, but i cant help but feel.. what if they hadnt taken a f*cking kitten they didn't want, what if they didnt ask me to take it, why didnt i say no? why couldnt they have waited until the next morning before bringing it down?

theres so much i wish i could change.

This is honestly one of the saddest threads ive ever read on here. OP cry your eyes out, be angry and upset,hide under the duvet,be mad at the world...but dont give up ok. You had a traumatic experience, just like im sure the child did, but your dog knew you loved him. So many animals dont get 4 amazing years with a loving owner. You couldnt have predicted this at all so dont blame yourself. One of the best things in the world is to be able to appreciate the love a dog gives you,take comfort in that ok. You've had a seriously painful year but dont let it consume you. He knew what a lucky dog he was for the few short years he was with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Oh my heart is absolutly breaking for you OP.

My boy is rescue and my world. Your story sounds so similiar to mine, though thankfully I've not had to go through the hell your going through right now.
    My own boy lives back home with my parents now after I realised I couldn't give him enough time....not an easy choice but at least I knew he would be loved, cared for and I'd still see him often. He is obsessed with protecting the house though.... no one he doesn't know gets past the gate, and this lesson was learnt the hard way after our very understanding post man got a nip from him. Also, he always plays rough with the kids, ok with my older nephews (12+) where they'll happily play rugby with him, I have to lock him away when the younger kids are around, he is 7 stone of lab cross and gave us a scare playing with my 4 year old nephew last year when the little lad went running across the garden my dog chased him, knocked him and stood over him. NO teeth were bared and at NO point was the dog vicious to the child, but, given his history with the postman and the absolute terror the child felt we've had to just keep him away from kids.
    He also has an unnatural hatred of another of our neighbours, if the fella goes walking down the road Paddy (my dog) will go mental trying to get out at him, I have no idea why he hates this person (apart from the fact he is one odd fecker anyway) but I'd be worried if Paddy ever got out to him.
    I've already said that if he is ever in trouble I'd be on the next boat to bring him back here with me.

Sorry for waffling, but, most importantly you didn't let your boy down. He had four years of being your number one and so loved that if you've managed to make so many posters here realise your love for him he will certainly of known how much he is loved!!!
    Bad things happen to good people and good dogs. He did something wrong, for an unkown reason, and has paid a horrible price due to the prejudice surrounding dog 'attacks'. Your little man will be waiting for you one day....

Update on the child:
    My brother went to visit her tonight to make sure she was ok.
    Said child was flying around the house chasing after her brother, with a circular PLASTER (not bandage) on her eyebrow.

Plastic surgery? Skin Graph?
    Seems like it was highly exaggerated??
    They would hardly allow a child home from hospital with a bone exposed? They'd hardly cover a wound that needed skin graphs with a plaster no bigger than a band aid?

Its not making sense to me.

It would seem the child is not as badly injured as 1st suspected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im so sorry OP, this is such a sad thread, ive tears in my eyes reading it as i know if it was my dog it would be the hardest thing id ever have to do.

Try to think of the good times with your dog and remember him in a good way.
    RIP doggy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Update on the child:
    Said child was flying around the house chasing after her brother, with a circular PLASTER (not bandage) on her eyebrow.

They would hardly allow a child home from hospital with a bone exposed? They'd hardly cover a wound that needed skin graphs with a plaster no bigger than a band aid?

Did you see the injuries or were you just going on what the parents told you?

Monday night, I went into see her in the hospital, she was in a+e. the poor little thing had a big bandage wrapped around her head. I almost fainted.

Tuesday morning I went in to the childrens ward to see her before she went to crumlin. She was already left.

Tuesday afternoon her mum called and told me that it was in a bad way and there was nothing crumlin could do for her, that plastic surgery wouldn't work as there wasnt enough skin left, that the bone was exposed.

That she'd have to have it dressed once a week in dublin, for the forseeable future, and the child was "shaken up", understandably, that because the dressing couldnt be removed, the childs hair couldnt be washed.

That in the future, when shes older, the child would need a skin graph.

My brother went up this evening, as i was in no fit state, and he seen her. Running around, in good form (thank god. she is little more than a baby, at the end of the day) but with pretty much a circular bandaid stuck on her eyebrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

just a thought here, but you mentioned that these people had left a kitten with you because they didn't want it. would your dog have been jealous of this? maybe this is why he bit the kid. i am so sorry he is gone, but don't feel guilty about it, it was out of your control. he will know you did the best you could.

He didn't see the kitten :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Please, Please don't dwell on this like that.
    First of all, you did the right thing since the parents of the child were going to insist on having him put down. Instead of being taken away from you and kept somewhere he did not know, not knowing what was happening and why he had been abandoned again by the people he loved , being scared and being put down with no-one he knew beside him he was with you being loved and loving you in return until he died.
    In this, like everything else you did for him, you prove your love for him. He knows this.
    If such a place exists in the afterlife and you are reunited, like most dogs he would not hold a grudge(even if there was a reason for a grudge which there isn't), the second he sees you all he will feel is the joy that he gets from seeing you again.
    You did not let him down at all, not in the slightest, you gave him a person to love, loved him in return and spared him from any suffering. However it feels to you now, you did, I swear to you.
    I do not agree with the people on here who say he deserved to die, but doing what you did given what was going to happen proves you loved him and sacrificed your own feelings to make him as happy as he could be before leaving this plane.
    You deserved him, he deserved you and it is sad that you did not get to spend more time together. I'm so sorry for your loss and the other losses you have endured but please do not believe he thinks you let him down.
    You are a good dog owner. That's why he trusted you and you lived up to that trust as you did what was best for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I am so sorry for your loss I can't imagine the pain you're going through now.

I've rewritten this post so many times trying to think of something to say to help you but I just don't know what to say. You have had such a tough time and it must feel like the whole world is conspiring aginst you at the moment but times will get better eventually, nothing lasts forever.

You did a great thing rescuing your dog and gave him 4 very happy years, you should be very proud of yourself for that.

andreac wrote: »
    RIP doggy :(
    Good to see ya back Andrea ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Update on the child:

With my knowledge (nursing student) if they cannot graph they would just stitch it up, and cover the wound (with a plaster, yes, that is standard procedure) The skin graphs will be to minimize scarring, it will be a quite bad scar until it is given plastic surgery.

As for running around playing, you will see kids running around when they are terminally ill with cancer. They cannot be held back!

I know you are angry OP and you feel like he was taken from you injustly but the little girl is not to blame for anything. She is little more than a baby, as you have said yourself.

Take care of yourself! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

i am so sorry you had to go through that, i'm so upset for you.
    you loved him loads and he obviously loved you loads back so please keep reminding yourself of that and it will help you get through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

OP as someone who's dogs are they're world I daren't even try to put myself in your shoes, I just don't know what I would do.
    Please take solice in knowing 'your boy' has nothing to fear anymore and of course he will not think that you betrayed him, that's the beauty of animals they don't hold a grudge, they truly know the meaning of unconditonal love.

RIP Boy, there's a place for you at Rainbow Bridge xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

I realy feel your pain, your boy is gone, but he had such a happy life with u, felt safe, was loved and looked after by his best friend. That's more than some of the animals will ever get from people. So keep all good memories, and by all means get another pet- you are a great owner and so many dogs are looking for one! I have 2 rescues and my boy comes with a baggage unsure about children and strangers, the other one is a perfect family dog, not a bit aggressive and loves the baby. The thing is, it is Woofie who was by my side at the worst time of my life ( like you i gave birth to a stillborn little girl), he never left my side when my husband had to go back to work, i felt like he was looking out for me, would not leave my side. I love this dog to bits. When our daughter was born two years later, and after we got sasha ( second dog)- it is woofie i am worried about. He wast showing any curiosity about the baby, and now that she is walking around the house, I am seriously worried! He growled at her once, was told off to his bed, told NO ( he understands it), then we brought the child to him, gave him treats in front of her and let her touch his paw. He was fine and he is fine watching her walking around the house now but he tenses up everytime she comes close. Doesnt do anything, but i just feel he is a bit tense. And this really worries me. My husband already told me, if he ever snaps at her- he is gone. My heart breaks at the thought and i am even more worried after reading your story. I wish you all the best, get well and keep all good memories of your friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

chin up storm its a sad ending to a sad story. maybe in a couple of months or so you could go down to a shelter and walk a few dogs it might help you feel better and you might fall in love all over again with a dog that needs a loving owner like you have proven yourself to be:)
    dont know if ya said this already but what was the dogs name???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

So very sorry for you. I know right now you feel hurt, angry and very, very sad but you will get through this. And don't feel guilty - you didn't let your boy down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

This is one of the saddest threads Iv read on here in a long time, Iv tears in my eyes reading your posts. I cannot even imagine the pain your going through right now, if I were in your position I don't know what I would do.
    Do not blame what happened on yourself, and do not feel as though you have let your dog down, you gave him 4 wonderful years that Im sure he will never forget.
    Don't be afraid to seek professional help if you feel you need it, nobody will laugh at you for grieving for your best friend.

Advertisement